{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Looo--un Town

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Looo--un Town

Postby victor A block » Tue May 16, 2023 9:11 pm

So the biggest club in the world are 1 game away from the Premier League.

Interesting that they spent 5 years like us in non league and came up a year after us.

Since then we have treaded water to be the longest serving League 2 club whilst they are on the brink of the premiership.

We've both had financial issues and dodgy owners but we have arguably been more stable for under JR for longer. Yes they are a bigger club, but only really League 1 level. Is there anything we can learn from them other than obviously their recruitment at all levels has been so much better than ours?
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Re: Looo--un Town

Postby Chrisuknottm » Wed May 17, 2023 7:34 am

You can hear the chorus immediately Victor "they haven't had our injuries"......
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby zod » Wed May 17, 2023 8:21 am

Chrisuknottm wrote:You can hear the chorus immediately Victor "they haven't had our injuries"......

And they have four stands
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Pitkin » Wed May 17, 2023 8:28 am

Oh how i'd love 4 stands...
Pitkin
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby ST4GS » Wed May 17, 2023 8:56 am

I always think of Luton as an established tier 2 club who punched above their weight for a while. Lost twice to Forest in Wembley cup finals , 1959 and 1989 and won the league cup in 1988 against holders Arsenal as well as losing a FA cup semi in the same year. Think we played Luton in tier 2 during our one foray into the big time. I always liked their kit from the late seventies but then again kits were good then generally. Poor view from the away end though.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby Curry 9 Brace 7 » Wed May 17, 2023 9:42 am

Luton always reminds me of the good old Baseball ground, a good bit of character. It doesnt seem long ago when Briscoe got 'that' goal that took us to Wembley' . Yes Luton have progressed and we are where we will always will be. Scratting around Division 4
Curry 9 Brace 7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby AshoverStag » Wed May 17, 2023 10:22 am

Curry 9 Brace 7 wrote:Luton always reminds me of the good old Baseball ground, a good bit of character. It doesnt seem long ago when Briscoe got 'that' goal that took us to Wembley' . Yes Luton have progressed and we are where we will always will be. Scratting around Division 4

We need positive thinking, believing, some luck, and the right players brought in. “ Always be “ will “Always be” if that’s the mindset of fans/club/owners but…….

1- we had the 4500 season ticket holders last year
2- Owners who believe
3- A thriving Youth set up
4- Manager who wants success, and has took a team to Championship
5 - Hungry Team

I think there is enough their to both build on and be positive over

I suggest some teams over achieve due to the combination of
Morale
Motivation
Momentum
Luck
Right transfers

Belief is grown, as is morale, and confidence. One step at a time, hopefully gaining monemtum and you never know where we could end up.

We just need x2 really great seasons and who knows

Never say never. If you told people 5 years ago 2022/23 we have 4500 season ticket holders, some may have said…..no chance

We can only NOT be a success like Luton and over achieve, if we set our aspirations too low…yes be realistic but have a belief we can get there
When you think you know the answers, I change the questions
AshoverStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed May 17, 2023 11:28 am

Looun very much don't have four 'stands'
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Wed May 17, 2023 11:54 am

AshoverStag wrote:
Curry 9 Brace 7 wrote:Luton always reminds me of the good old Baseball ground, a good bit of character. It doesnt seem long ago when Briscoe got 'that' goal that took us to Wembley' . Yes Luton have progressed and we are where we will always will be. Scratting around Division 4

We need positive thinking, believing, some luck, and the right players brought in. “ Always be “ will “Always be” if that’s the mindset of fans/club/owners but…….

1- we had the 4500 season ticket holders last year
2- Owners who believe
3- A thriving Youth set up
4- Manager who wants success, and has took a team to Championship
5 - Hungry Team

I think there is enough their to both build on and be positive over

I suggest some teams over achieve due to the combination of
Morale
im with you
Motivation
Momentum
Luck
Right transfers

Belief is grown, as is morale, and confidence. One step at a time, hopefully gaining monemtum and you never know where we could end up.

We just need x2 really great seasons and who knows

Never say never. If you told people 5 years ago 2022/23 we have 4500 season ticket holders, some may have said…..no chance

We can only NOT be a success like Luton and over achieve, if we set our aspirations too low…yes be realistic but have a belief we can get there
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Wed May 17, 2023 8:38 pm

Currently looking like a Luton v Coventry Championship Play Off Final. That was a League 2 fixture 5 seasons ago.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Wed May 17, 2023 8:49 pm

Marky Mark wrote:Currently looking like a Luton v Coventry Championship Play Off Final. That was a League 2 fixture 5 seasons ago.

Amazing stat that not one, but two clubs who have both had their problems have progressed and risen so quickly..
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Wed May 17, 2023 8:53 pm

Both went up that season, Luton in 2nd and Coventry in the play offs. I think our 1-1 draw with Coventry at home was Evans last game when we were around automatic, and ended up finishing 8th. How both teams paths might have changed for them if he hadn’t gone to China.
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed May 17, 2023 9:37 pm

I'll probably be supporting Coventry City now their terrible owners Sisu have sold out to business man Doug King who has made over £500 million from trading grains, non-grain feeds, petroleum, oilseed processing and investments. When King took sole ownership of Coventry in January they were 15th in the Championship. I think Mike Ashley owns the Ricoh/Coventry Building Society Arena.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Wed May 17, 2023 9:57 pm

Marky Mark wrote:Both went up that season, Luton in 2nd and Coventry in the play offs. I think our 1-1 draw with Coventry at home was Evans last game when we were around automatic, and ended up finishing 8th. How both teams paths might have changed for them if he hadn’t gone to China.

Beating Cov 1-0 and them playing with ten men for what seemed like ages and they still equalised.

https://stagsnet.net/match/reports/view ... atchid=914
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed May 17, 2023 10:17 pm

We would have won if Evans had been concentrating instead of dreaming of China.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Martian » Wed May 17, 2023 10:32 pm

Robins in the 6th year of his second stint as Coventry manager - would be an interesting stat - the average management term of managers achieving promotions - of course much more likely to serve a longer term if achieve success. I think his last spell as a player was under Nigel at Burton.
Martian
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Marky Mark » Wed May 17, 2023 10:53 pm

Robins has done such a good job there given that they’ve played games away from Coventry for a period of time, and had dubious ownership for a part of it too.
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Thu May 18, 2023 8:12 am

DoomMerchant wrote:Looun very much don't have four 'stands'

Not sure what you’d class them as then. Surrounded by spectators on all four sides.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu May 18, 2023 8:56 am

zod wrote:

Not sure what you’d class them as then. Surrounded by spectators on all four sides.

Maybe it's all seater so no stand-ing? ;)
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Thu May 18, 2023 9:05 am

Reports ground not fit for Premiership, may have to ground share
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Thu May 18, 2023 12:46 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
zod wrote:

According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, a ‘stand’ is defined as ‘rows of seats in a stadium that people sit in when they are watching a sports event, concert’.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu May 18, 2023 12:57 pm

Yeah I know. Just a poor joke is all.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu May 18, 2023 1:12 pm

zod wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
zod wrote:

According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, a ‘stand’ is defined as ‘rows of seats in a stadium that people sit in when they are watching a sports event, concert’.

It should be defined as: if Mansfield Town built it on the Bishop Street side of their stadium, would the folk of Stagsnet lose their minds?
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Showaddywaddy » Thu May 18, 2023 1:40 pm

We’ve had plenty of memorable games against Luton over the last few decades. The late winner from Lindon Meikle the season we won the Conference, Briscoe sending us to Wembley in the FA Trophy, the 5-3 defeat at their place when Scott Sellars scored that amazing chipped goal and my all time favourite when we absolutely destroyed them 4-1 earlier that same season and we could’ve had ten.

My first memory of playing them is from the 89/90 season when they were last in the top flight and we lost 4-3 at Field Mill, I think we were 3-1 up at one stage the. Roy Wregele went and spoilt it. The less said about the second leg the better.

As for Coventry in the top flight it just brings back memories of Steve Ogrizovic, the ball greedy and brilliant Darren Huckerby and Peter Ndlovu.

Not that I hold a grudge but that 5-3 defeat at Kenilworth Rd twenty odd years ago was painful so good luck to Coventry.
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Thu May 18, 2023 3:03 pm

Mansfield have not the history that Luton town have after playing in the 1959 F-A cup final it all went downhill for Luton;
A short recovery under Alex Stock in !969/70.
They have been in the hands of receivers and Liquidation it was sell sell sell in 2005/6 with finance problems and a low capacity stadium and again players being sold led to relegation in
2006/7
In 2006/7, with more problems off the field they were deducted 10 points for again falling into liquidation and relegated to non -league after 89 years of league football.
During this time they have had the low of failing in the play offs.
Nathan Jones became Manager and spent over 5 years at the club since 2016.
After his second Spell Edwards took the job in 2022 and has been in charge for 18 months.
Mansfield have never played in the top league or been in a F-A cup final.
Apart from the Haslam years before and after Mansfield have been a well run club and have established them selves as a top club in league 2.
Without the club losing points for miss management.
Luton have played in all the leagues Div 1 Championship-League 1 -league 2 plus non league And a F-A cup final.
Mansfield playing catch up, will see them soon
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum