{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

It’s your Squad size

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: It’s your Squad size

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:20 pm

If you always do what you always did, you’ll always get what you always got.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:25 pm

daddycool wrote:According to the Stockport commentators Pym is reportedly the highest paid player in the league at plus 4K a wk

No brainer to let him return to his parent club, why did they let him go on loan exactly, and free up this cash if it is true - he hasn't pulled up any tress and Flinders has shown to be as good if not better.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:25 pm

Notwithstanding that we are just about still in touch it still feels like the season has gone totally flat and the excitement has diminished considerably
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:27 pm

Pym - consider signing him if he’ll accept reduced wages, otherwise, I’m sure we can sign a keeper who’s just as good on less money.

Flinders - re-sign him as your backup if the price is right.

Perch - He might retire. If he doesn’t, let him go anyway. Good servant to the club but he’s not good enough now. He can’t handle it whenever a game gets a bit frantic. Can imagine he’s on a decent wage.

Wallace - Let him go. He’s non-league standard.

Quinn - Same with Perch, let him go regardless of whether he retires or not. Tidy footballer but if you’re being picky he probably doesn’t create or score nearly enough goals for the presumably generous wage he’ll be on.

DJ - let him go.

Harbottle - I’m indifferent towards him. I think he’s an okay league two centre back, nothing more or less. Wouldn’t be upset if we tried to loan him in again but I’m also wary that only six teams have conceded more goals than us this season. We need to improve there.

Swan - 100% try and sign him or loan him in. I think there will be League 1 interest in him however.

O’Toole - He’s got another year on his contract after this season. Try and offload him but I really can’t see a team wanting to pay him enough money for him to want to go.

I think we can get much better value for money than the wages Perch, Quinn, Pym and O’Toole are on for a start. The key this summer is having a clear plan on the formation we want to play next season and bring in players who really fit the system. We decided to go with wings backs this season however we’ve never had the quality or depth at the wing back or centre back positions to make the formation properly work.

Personally, I’d like our ‘big money’ signings this summer to be on two quality centre backs if we’re continuing with a wing back formation next season. It’d be great if we can win more games that we play poorly in next season because we’re keeping a lot more clean sheets (E.g Northampton the past couple of seasons).
Last edited by Cleveland_Stag on Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:28 pm

tmwilson wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
marksay wrote:Lol

He said the same last season

that he did, some times the manager has to take ownership of his stance !

he runs a squad at least two light

same old story

Two light? Yes we needed a back up for Macca but he tried to sign one in the last window no doubt you will see that as a failure instead of looking at the three quality players we brought in. So what other position?

We have all season needed at least 2 more left sided players, he tried to sign one lol, he didn’t though did he, same as last season, could a, would a, should a !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How some don’t see it, completely baffles me however it is what it is !, oh & one more thing I haven’t banged on about for a bit is the lack of pace too, take Oates out or half fit one & we would give Brian the Snail a run for his money.

Clough is only going to manage one way & doesn’t appear to change, a bit like subs, formation & tactics, I guess.

Let’s just hope we don’t fall short of promotion as without that, we have failed this season as stated by both the owner & manager at the start of the season
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:55 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:Harbottle - I’m indifferent towards him. I think he’s an okay league two centre back, nothing more or less. Wouldn’t be upset if we tried to loan him in again but I’m also wary that only six teams have conceded more goals than us this season. We need to improve there.

To be fair we are so much better defensively when Harbottle plays.

He has played 28 leagues games and in them games we have conceded just 29 goals. So in the other 8 games he didn't feature in we conceded 16 goals.

Average that out over the season and we would only be conceding 47 goals. That sort of figure is typical for a play off or top 3 side defence.

I'd get Harbottle and Swan back for another season if possible.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:10 pm

bellwhiff wrote:If you always do what you always did, you’ll always get what you always got.

Well made point but it's not true in this context. There are different factors at play which generally have the same outcome.

If you run with a smaller squad you should be able to afford fewer, better players. It's a risk with injuries, but usually better teams win games, not big squads.

I'm not totally against going with a leaner better squad, but Clough goes for so many utility men, players out of position, bombing people out, not learning from mistakes... he exacerbates the problems.

It is infuriating to sit by and watch.

I think he'll be here next season, floundering around in the transfer market, quibbling with agents, failing to address critical personnel shortcomings, and risking a successful season on it.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:12 pm

Stoney wrote:
Cleveland_Stag wrote:Harbottle - I’m indifferent towards him. I think he’s an okay league two centre back, nothing more or less. Wouldn’t be upset if we tried to loan him in again but I’m also wary that only six teams have conceded more goals than us this season. We need to improve there.

He has played 28 leagues games and in them games we have conceded just 29 goals. So in the other 8 games he didn't feature in we conceded 16 goals.

Average that out over the season and we would only be conceding 47 goals. That sort of figure is typical for a play off or top 3 side defence.

Ahh, that’s an encouraging statistic, thanks. Going off that then I’d be more open to us trying to bring him back. I do harbour memories of him really struggling at times to get to grips with men’s football but I think most of these instances were in the first few months of the season. He has improved since then to be fair to him.

The most obvious improvement we should make at the back is replacing Perch (who I think at this point in his career is National League standard) with a genuinely quality centre back. That alone will make a massive difference.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:17 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:
Stoney wrote:

Ahh, that’s an encouraging statistic, thanks. Going off that then I’d be more open to us trying to bring him back. I do harbour memories of him really struggling at times to get to grips with men’s football but I think most of these instances were in the first few months of the season. He has improved since then to be fair to him.

He's a young lad still learning. 11 national league appearances for Wealdstone and 2 EFL Cup games for forest before joining us are his only men's appearances. He's going to make mistakes, experienced pros with hundreds if appearances make mistakes.

They key is don't make too many and learn from the ones you do make.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:26 pm

The main reason we are seeing a big improvement in Harbottle is the fact that we are now playing him on the right of the defence which is his natural position. It was totally unfair to play him on the left in the first few months as not only was he very inexperienced but also playing on his weaker side. He is much improved since the switch.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tomwh » Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:33 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:The main reason we are seeing a big improvement in Harbottle is the fact that we are now playing him on the right of the defence which is his natural position. It was totally unfair to play him on the left in the first few months as not only was he very inexperienced but also playing on his weaker side. He is much improved since the switch.

We actually don't have any naturally left sided defenders do we? Macca is more of a winger than an out and out defender.

I rate Harbottle, he's made the odd mistake but what young centre back doesn't.
Tomwh
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Stoney » Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:50 pm

Fully agree on Perch, Cleveland. He looked a bit lost last night. He's had a cracking career but I think it ends this season.

I'd be happy with him staying at the club as a coach or in some capacity with all the experience he has!
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:31 pm

Quinn’s is 37 and yes it’s just about time to hang up his boots but no faulting his performances while he’s been at this club. He still has the footballing ability and desire even though a bit hot headed. Wish we had more players like him.
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Herts Stag » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:42 pm

I honestly can't believe some of the rubbish posted on this thread by the whingeing doom mongers that throw fits if we don't win. the comment about playing to get a point was ridiculous. We went for them as much as they went for us but thy created the better chances on the night and we didn't. We have had a disastrous season on the injury front and to lose three players for the rest of the games at such an early stage has crippled us. Our best midfielder, George Maris is sorely missed. We have the squad and the right manager but seriously padlock on the injury from that no-one could have predicted.

I thought I could ignore the drivel written by the usual suspects but couldn't resist.
Herts Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Field Mill » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:29 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:Pym - consider signing him if he’ll accept reduced wages, otherwise, I’m sure we can sign a keeper who’s just as good on less money.

Flinders - re-sign him as your backup if the price is right.

Perch - He might retire. If he doesn’t, let him go anyway. Good servant to the club but he’s not good enough now. He can’t handle it whenever a game gets a bit frantic. Can imagine he’s on a decent wage.

Wallace - Let him go. He’s non-league standard.

Quinn - Same with Perch, let him go regardless of whether he retires or not. Tidy footballer but if you’re being picky he probably doesn’t create or score nearly enough goals for the presumably generous wage he’ll be on.

DJ - let him go.

Harbottle - I’m indifferent towards him. I think he’s an okay league two centre back, nothing more or less. Wouldn’t be upset if we tried to loan him in again but I’m also wary that only six teams have conceded more goals than us this season. We need to improve there.

Swan - 100% try and sign him or loan him in. I think there will be League 1 interest in him however.

O’Toole - He’s got another year on his contract after this season. Try and offload him but I really can’t see a team wanting to pay him enough money for him to want to go.

I think we can get much better value for money than the wages Perch, Quinn, Pym and O’Toole are on for a start. The key this summer is having a clear plan on the formation we want to play next season and bring in players who really fit the system. We decided to go with wings backs this season however we’ve never had the quality or depth at the wing back or centre back positions to make the formation properly work.

Personally, I’d like our ‘big money’ signings this summer to be on two quality centre backs if we’re continuing with a wing back formation next season. It’d be great if we can win more games that we play poorly in next season because we’re keeping a lot more clean sheets (E.g Northampton the past couple of seasons).

I hadn't realised Wallace was out of contract. Is he not on a 2 year deal?
Field Mill
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby marksay » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:49 pm

Just listened to NC interview, says we just need someone in 6yard box lol he was sent on the bench .
Sutton will be rubbing their hands together
marksay
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Johnny H » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:55 pm

Its not so much the squad size it his stubborness and refusal to give players game time and the defensive formations we play

Jason Law is chomping at the bit...Boateng has been poor and last night must have been shattered before the game even started.
NC alluded to this after the game by telling us Boateng had become a father in the last 24 hrs....Law should start !!!!

We all know Maris is our best player and that he makes us tick....I can virtually guarantee that Maris will be on the bench when everyone is fit and NC can pick his favourites, Clarke will probably miss out in a midfield three too as NC will pick Quinn, Hartigan, Reed and Boateng first.

Rhys Oates has been poor most of the season.....not suprising when he plays him wide right.
We need a formation where we have 2 up top.....Akins is a good striker at this level but needs someone alongside him, i.e....a goalscorer (Johnson or Gale)

Davis Kellor-Dunn has been good, but the last 3 games or so has had no impact on the game at all and by playing him it isolates Akins up top on his own.....play Johnson or Gale from the start alongside Akins and lets try and win games !!!
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:08 pm

Oates played as part of the front two for all of the first half’s with DKD in behind. DKD was involved in all but one of our best moments last night, as far as I can recall.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:20 am

Saturday will probably be the same lineup as Wednesday with hopefully Maris instead of Boateng. It really is turning out to be a frustrating season but I don't agree with its *because of injuries excuse" which is rolled out every week like a badge of honour. Hartigan made 12 starts and was subbed off 8 times with a total of 18 appearances. Will Swann was mainly used as a late on Sub only made 11 starts.. JJ not the player he was would struggle to get into the team even if fit ...Macca has struggled with injuries all season but we definitely miss him. Quinn is still a good player for his age but a potential disaster zone due to his volatile temper...Louis Reed and Callum Johnson not played enough to really comment...Boateng has not really impressed yet ..Best signing by Clough ( we don't need another Centre Half) is Alfie Kilgour...other than that and in my opinion, we are fairly average top half of the table side with an average Manager
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby bear 73 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:49 am

A Squad is not made up of equals its a cost exercise the better the quality the more the player costs and just two quality players out means a gaping hole in the team.
Hawkins and Lapslie have been sold both vital members of the team,
A good window would be to keep them and still have Johnson -Kilgore-Reed-Dunne.
Mansfield Town are not big spenders £150 thousand is still the transfer record, and while the budget is good at this level, we cannot afford 22 players that can make a difference.
Macca-Oates-Maris-Reed-Hartigan-Swan-O"Toole all long term injuries 7 in total .
Plus others missing games like Hewitt-Quinn-Johnson-even Gale had a long lay off plus Law.
In spite of all this disruption to the playing staff, we are 8th in the league table still a top league 2 side and mostly a feel good factor within the club.
There is still all to play for and gates reflect the squad is giving 100%,
Fans can still say who should play Law- Boateng or DJ-Oates-Dunne and reflect on how slow Perch is or Wallace.
All this on a thread bare squad with a lot of quality missing.
Whats not to like and Sutton on Sat, no wonder Wrexham and Notts county are spending big to get into league 2 .
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Waggy » Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:04 pm

What complete idiots Nigel and his team are. With the obvious need for left footed defenders, why didn't they pop along to LeftiesRus when they had a sale and get a class fullback, at a great price, who's available and wants to play wholeheartedly for Mansfield Town, without getting injured? They must have loads of them!
And I don't feel any sorrow
Towards the kings and queens of the butterfly collectors
Waggy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Tomwh » Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:46 pm

Waggy wrote:What complete idiots Nigel and his team are. With the obvious need for left footed defenders, why didn't they pop along to LeftiesRus when they had a sale and get a class fullback, at a great price, who's available and wants to play wholeheartedly for Mansfield Town, without getting injured? They must have loads of them!

Unless I'm mistaken, we haven't had a naturally left sided defender since Mal Benning left 2 years ago. It's a pretty glaring weakness of the squad, we've had a right footed striker playing there who despite his best efforts is struggling. We also, arguably, only have 2 natural centre halves, one is a kid from Forest. This has again been the situation for a long time now.

It almost seems as though some would, if they could, ban any discussion on here that isn't strictly positive.
Tomwh
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Gruff » Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:44 pm

You know what, some people on this board would be slaughtering Man City and Pep Guardiola if they supported them. 6 months ago, Akins was the worst player ever to put on a Stags shirt, and i seem to recall Hewitt having a pretty rough introduction too.

Generally speaking signings like Pym, Akins, Wallace, Harbottle, Swann, Boateng, Hartigan, Kilgour, C Johnson, D Johnson, Reed, DKD have all been welcomed as good acquisitions.... but there's always something else to moan about.

...and that's why I read the board, because it's so wonderfully comical at times.
Gruff
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Rob » Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:32 pm

Waggy wrote:What complete idiots Nigel and his team are. With the obvious need for left footed defenders, why didn't they pop along to LeftiesRus when they had a sale and get a class fullback, at a great price, who's available and wants to play wholeheartedly for Mansfield Town, without getting injured? They must have loads of them!

Sorry Waggy I don't agree, Morecambe recently signed an out of contract left back and plenty more moved in January. We will sign one in the summer but again a year too late. It's mistakes like this, pointed out by many last summer, that's costing us promotion.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:45 am

Rob wrote:

Sorry Waggy I don't agree, Morecambe recently signed an out of contract left back and plenty more moved in January. We will sign one in the summer but again a year too late. It's mistakes like this, pointed out by many last summer, that's costing us promotion.

Is correct.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum