{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Fishy scorethread sponsored by Fish Fingers

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Fishy scorethread sponsored by Fish Fingers

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:59 am

Amber Andy wrote:
diablo wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:

Pym had a bit of flu and had to play. What's wrong with Flinders?

If he has flu then we risk him spreading it. Plus it's a bit mean to make him play a evening game in heavy winds.

Clough wants more of the same on Saturday but more clinical finishing. If only we have a natural finisher sat on the bench who'd scored double figures in goals before he returned from loan.

Agreed if only we had a natural goalscorer on the bench..errr hang on a minute :o
Yes, if only we had a natural goalscorer on the bench, ............who would give his all to play for us :o

I’m by no means someone who thinks that Danny Johnson should be starting. In a Stags shirt, he’s never quite showed that he’s deserving of it. But it’s also hilarious to me that so, so many of our fans like to push this narrative that he’s not interested in performing for us and that he doesn’t care. He’s always been a poacher who comes alive in the box. He’ll never have been a striker who mercilessly presses from the front, he won’t have done for Walsall or Orient, but fans turn the type of striker he is into a narrative that he’s not bothered. I can assure you that he wants to score goals whenever he’s on the pitch to drum up interest in him this summer. Again, I also wouldn’t start him for us but these narratives our fans come up with are amusing.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:30 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:69th minute when Bowery shoots on goal. Keeper parried it back into the middle of the area, Akins swings a leg at it and misses. Thats's Dj's bread and butter.

74th minute DKD wins the ball halfway inside the Grimsby half and finds Akins in the middle. I fully expected Akins to shoot he doesn't he passes to Oates but Oates has to backtrack a little to get possession and this gives the defender time to get across and block.

Both instances DJ is testing the keeper and likely scoring the 69th minute one.

We are back to this time last season. hardly any goals and hardly any shots on target and DJ get 10 mins if he's lucky.

Akins had zero chance with the 69th minute one. Right behind the goal and he can’t do anything with it imo. His hold up play and passing was very good, but pick up on the one impossible chance. DJ isn’t the answer…get used to it!

Sorry but he's a better answer than what we saw past couple of games from our attackers.

Should have been more clear on the 69th minute one. DJ would have had the sense to make a move towards the keeper in case he saves it and he can poach a goal. Not stand just stand there and try to react to it. So yes Akins had 0 chance. A out and out striker though would have had a chance.

Rhys Oates and Jordan Bowery would also have tested the keeper in both situations (and likely scored the 69th minute one for the same reasons as DJ) but didn't mention them because they were already on the pitch elsewhere.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:48 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:69th minute when Bowery shoots on goal. Keeper parried it back into the middle of the area, Akins swings a leg at it and misses. Thats's Dj's bread and butter.

74th minute DKD wins the ball halfway inside the Grimsby half and finds Akins in the middle. I fully expected Akins to shoot he doesn't he passes to Oates but Oates has to backtrack a little to get possession and this gives the defender time to get across and block.

We are back to this time last season. hardly any goals and hardly any shots on target and DJ get 10 mins if he's lucky.

Akins had zero chance with the 69th minute one. Right behind the goal and he can’t do anything with it imo. His hold up play and passing was very good, but pick up on the one impossible chance. DJ isn’t the answer…get used to it!

Sorry but he's a better answer than what we saw past couple of games from our attackers.

Should have been more clear on the 69th minute one. DJ would have had the sense to make a move towards the keeper in case he saves it and he can poach a goal. Not stand just stand there and try to react to it. So yes Akins had 0 chance. A out and out striker though would have had a chance.

Rhys Oates and Jordan Bowery would also have tested the keeper in both situations (and likely scored the 69th minute one for the same reasons as DJ) but didn't mention them because they were already on the pitch elsewhere.

You might be right regarding the ‘sense’ part. Akins is definitely not that type of forward. For what it’s worth I think Akins and DJ could make a good front 2 pairing. For some reason Clough doesn’t seem to like him, or give him more minutes on the pitch. The biggest gripe I’ve got with our forwards is nobody ever moves towards the near post. The amount of short or low crosses that someone like Tyler Walker scored from is incredible…not once do our forwards gamble! Maybe you’re right, and DJ would gamble on it. Why doesn’t Clough play him more? I’m bamboozled by it all.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:49 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
diablo wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:

If he has flu then we risk him spreading it. Plus it's a bit mean to make him play a evening game in heavy winds.

Clough wants more of the same on Saturday but more clinical finishing. If only we have a natural finisher sat on the bench who'd scored double figures in goals before he returned from loan.

Agreed if only we had a natural goalscorer on the bench..errr hang on a minute :o
Yes, if only we had a natural goalscorer on the bench, ............who would give his all to play for us :o

I’m by no means someone who thinks that Danny Johnson should be starting. In a Stags shirt, he’s never quite showed that he’s deserving of it. But it’s also hilarious to me that so, so many of our fans like to push this narrative that he’s not interested in performing for us and that he doesn’t care. He’s always been a poacher who comes alive in the box. He’ll never have been a striker who mercilessly presses from the front, he won’t have done for Walsall or Orient, but fans turn the type of striker he is into a narrative that he’s not bothered. I can assure you that he wants to score goals whenever he’s on the pitch to drum up interest in him this summer. Again, I also wouldn’t start him for us but these narratives our fans come up with are amusing.

absolutely, you just need to see his frustration when DKD didn't play him through and fired over the bar. I'd be well cheesed off getting 8mins
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:59 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:

You might be right regarding the ‘sense’ part. Akins is definitely not that type of forward. For what it’s worth I think Akins and DJ could make a good front 2 pairing. For some reason Clough doesn’t seem to like him, or give him more minutes on the pitch. The biggest gripe I’ve got with our forwards is nobody ever moves towards the near post. The amount of short or low crosses that someone like Tyler Walker scored from is incredible…not once do our forwards gamble! Maybe you’re right, and DJ would gamble on it. Why doesn’t Clough play him more? I’m bamboozled by it all.
I could, equally, be wrong too. Wouldn't be the first time.

Like you say it's the fact that Clough only tries it for the last 10 mins of a game. We are 3 or 4 games in where we aren't scoring. So why not get DJ up front with Akins or Bowery from the start for a few games and see what happens.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:38 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:

I could, equally, be wrong too. Wouldn't be the first time.

Like you say it's the fact that Clough only tries it for the last 10 mins of a game. We are 3 or 4 games in where we aren't scoring. So why not get DJ up front with Akins or Bowery from the start for a few games and see what happens.

Agreed Gazza.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:59 pm

Disappointing result but we are now at the business end of the season and points are vital so nerves creep in.
The expectation of fans never live up to reality that games can be won or lost on one decision or a lack of quality and all teams start equal and any one can beat anyone.
Nobody can say Grimsby were not worth their point.
Why Clough did not make his substitutions earlier i dont know but if you cannot win it then dont lose it.
Both teams could have won it or lost it but we looked more like scoring in the final minutes.
Moving forward we did not concede a goal. Pym-Clarke-Boateng-Oates ill or carrying knocks.
Johnson-Macca-Hartigan-Marris--Swan-Reed-O"Toole injured and Quinn suspended.
We certainly have a mountain to climb but with 10 games remaining it is all to play for
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:22 pm

Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:48 pm

I blame wearing the away kit socks.

I will make a donation to the club's chosen charity if they do not wear it ever again.

Burn the away kit!!
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:20 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:26 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
diablo wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:

His heart appears to be in the West Midlands. He will be back there next season. As such I can only see him going through the motions for us. Be great if he proved me wrong. Pity Wrexham didn't fancy him instead of Waters.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby NEStag » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:40 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
diablo wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:

I agree about the narratives point. We all want to find a reason why we aren’t doing so well or what ought to be changed: ‘if only we brought Johnson on earlier or started him’ (started recently and did not very much); if only Oates were fit (when he was injured); if only Swan were fit (now he’s injured); etc

We have a few injuries (quite a few I accept) but early on this season we had a nearly fully fit squad and we weren’t world beaters them, either.

I’ve come to the conclusion we unfortunately just aren’t good enough.
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:35 pm

NEStag wrote:I agree about the narratives point. We all want to find a reason why we aren’t doing so well or what ought to be changed: ‘if only we brought Johnson on earlier or started him’ (started recently and did not very much); if only Oates were fit (when he was injured); if only Swan were fit (now he’s injured); etc

We have a few injuries (quite a few I accept) but early on this season we had a nearly fully fit squad and we weren’t world beaters them, either.

I’ve come to the conclusion we unfortunately just aren’t good enough but that doesn’t satisfy our desire to look for very specific reasons.

Nice narrative there too.

He's started 1 (one) game.

Shall we look at Martin's ratings?

Bradford - came on at half time - D.Johnson (for Wallace, 46 mins) 7 First game back from loan at Walsall. Very lively. His commitment on the pitch couldn’t be questioned.

Salford - Came on after an hour while we were 4-1 down (after he came on both sides scored a goal) - D.Johnson (for Wallace, 59 mins) - Didn’t get into the game and barely touched the ball.

AFC Wimbledon - replaced CJ at half time with the game at 1-1. Scored the goal to make it 2-1, keillor-Dunn made it 3-1 - D.Johnson (for C.Johnson, 46 mins) 8 Fine finish for his goal. His first goal this season for Mansfield, since returning from loan at Walsall. Great touch to bring the ball down and in one movement.

Northampton - first start since returning. Replaced after 66 mins after Quinny saw red. had 2 shots, one on target (we only had 2 on target all game) - D.Johnson 6 Shot just wide from 23 yards after 24 minutes, having created a yard of space for himself.

Stockport - came off the bench in 74th minute to replace wallace whilst we were 1-0 down, didn't affect anything 1-1 it ended. - D.Johnson (for Wallace, 74 mins) -

Grimsby - Martin hasn't submitted the report for last night nor ratings so can't include that one - BBC has him on in the 83rd minute and we played 2 extra so had 9 mins to make a difference.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby NEStag » Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:39 pm

I don’t disagree Gazza (I’m not anti Johnson or anti anyone for that matter). I’m just saying that people look for a reason when in fact there may not be one other than us generally
being an upper mid table team.
Which is why I added Oates and Swan as well and probably could have added a few others.
My comment was about the narratives rather than Johnson specifically. I’ve no issue with Johnson playing just with the idea that there is some magic bullet that we are missing that would transform us into a top 3 team.
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:53 pm

NEStag wrote:I don’t disagree Gazza (I’m not anti Johnson or anti anyone for that matter). I’m just saying that people look for a reason when in fact there may not be one other than us generally
Which is why I added Oates and Swan as well and probably could have added a few others.
My comment was about the narratives rather than Johnson specifically. I’ve no issue with Johnson playing just within the idea that there is some magic bullet that we are missing that would transform us into a top 3 team.

I read it after and thought I may have missed the point (I was about to say as such but you'd posted) so apologies for that.

I think the frustration is down to we've always had the potential to climb the leagues. we've had it for years. Those down the A60 and the A617 have been in league 1, we haven't. since the rename of the leagues we haven't been in league 1. Older generations will remember when we were largely a level 3 club (league 1, division 2 etc). So there is frustration there.

My frustration is I feel we aren't doing all we can in games. We aren't maximising our available players. Bowery shouldn't be backup LWB. Wallace has experience at LB so go back 4 with wallace at LB. Or play wallace at LWB but doesn't have to get forwards as often. We aren't maximising subs, Why no Gale or Wallace last night to give players a rest.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby NEStag » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:25 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
NEStag wrote:I don’t disagree Gazza (I’m not anti Johnson or anti anyone for that matter). I’m just saying that people look for a reason when in fact there may not be one other than us generally
My comment was about the narratives rather than Johnson specifically. I’ve no issue with Johnson playing just within the idea that there is some magic bullet that we are missing that would transform us into a top 3 team.

I read it after and thought I may have missed the point (I was about to say as such but you'd posted) so apologies for that.

I think the frustration is down to we've always had the potential to climb the leagues. we've had it for years. Those down the A60 and the A617 have been in league 1, we haven't. since the rename of the leagues we haven't been in league 1. Older generations will remember when we were largely a level 3 club (league 1, division 2 etc). So there is frustration there.

My frustration is I feel we aren't doing all we can in games. We aren't maximising our available players. Bowery shouldn't be backup LWB. Wallace has experience at LB so go back 4 with wallace at LB. Or play wallace at LWB but doesn't have to get forwards as often. We aren't maximising subs, Why no Gale or Wallace last night to give players a rest.

No apology required Gazza. We are all just as frustrated!

Personally I think it’s a mixture of not being quite good enough and occasionally it’s just a bit of bad luck (or not good fortune if you want to turn it round). Going back to narratives sometimes you just need a bit of luck - a ball that drops for a striker or hits the post and goes in.

I’d personally start with the team that Clough sets up for after 70 mins if we are drawing or losing. But then I’m not a professional manager….
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Dan » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:34 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:And the lack of ambition from the managers and players tonight, more so in the last 15 minutes, was clear to see. Three men back for a corner when no Grimsby player had stayed forward. Kilgour wanting to go forward for a long throw and told to stay back.

100%. Alfie was fuming when he was told to stay back especially for corners. Also Bowery was edging forward until Clough told him to stay back. Once they saw we'd got 3 back they moved 2 players out of the box and put them on the half way line. Surely we could've just left Elliott back and let the other 2 go up for the corner as that would've forced them to bring everyone back. A box with 20 players in it is absolute chaos and surely gives you a better chance of getting a goal (even an OG!).

Quite a few shouts from the lower west during the 2nd half towards NC of "freshen it up Nigel", "make some changes" and "stop being so negative Nigel" which was interesting. Also their number 31 said to me "what a sh*t f***ing game this is!" which was hard to disagree with. If we play like that on Saturday we will get beat.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag1 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:43 pm

Anybody ever questioned the manager and his negative setup, rather than how good the players are?
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:52 am

bigalstag1 wrote:Anybody ever questioned the manager and his negative setup, rather than how good the players are?

my Sheff Utd supporting mates always starts our conversations off with “ how’s old Negative Nigel doing at your place, still refusing to bring a sub on?”
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:22 am

yorkshire stag wrote:
bigalstag1 wrote:Anybody ever questioned the manager and his negative setup, rather than how good the players are?

my Sheff Utd supporting mates always starts our conversations off with “ how’s old Negative Nigel doing at your place, still refusing to bring a sub on?”

Doesn't he ask how you are first?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:46 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:

Doesn't he ask how you are first?
Narrr it starts off with “ Narr den orr rate “ but i just nod at that bit :D
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum