{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Moronic Fans

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Moronic Fans

Postby Oladamber66 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:21 am

Walk down any high street and it stinks of it.
Oladamber66
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby 88STAG » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:33 am

My 7 year old daughter has started following us and has had a season ticket for the past couple of seasons, rarely missing any home games. I absolutely love taking her with me and it's something I've always hoped would happen. She loves going to the home games, we sit in the Quarry Lane End and the atmosphere is really friendly and always feels safe.

This season she's asked to go to a few away games and I'll be honest I was a little unsure about this as I know it's often a different atmosphere going to away games. She's been to Rochdale, Walsall and now Stockport this season. I've got to say at each of those games I have felt uncomfortable at times. I've regularly seen fans taking drugs (without even disguising it most of the time!), being unable to handle their beer, acting aggressively towards stewards and other fans, throwing smoke bombs etc. It's got to the point where if she's with me at an away game we just go straight to the ground from the car rather than having a walk around or a drink.

There definitely seems to be a large amounts of Stags fans that are so inconsiderate of others like the young or elderly. I know it's nothing like it was in the 70s/80s but football should be family friendly and I shouldn't have to consider stopping taking my daughter to away games because of some that are more interested in taking drugs / getting drunk / looking for trouble.
88STAG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:36 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Retro rob wrote:
PostmanPat wrote:No alcohol, no drugs, no pyros, no swearing…

What’s next no loud chanting?

Should be zero tolerance on drugs anywhere, Wembley way stank of it, why has football authorities allowed this to escalate?

Boring

What’s boring ? That there should be a zero tolerance on drugs?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:38 am

I have got say Northampton was pretty funny. I drove so was there early, it started filling up quite nicely around 40mins before KO. The buses arrived and all the fans were trying to pile into seats that didnt exist behind the goals.

There is only one way to stop it, and thats allocated seating and enforcing it... If we go up the leagues, we'll need to get used to it
Last edited by PEAR CIDER on Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:45 am

88STAG wrote:My 7 year old daughter has started following us and has had a season ticket for the past couple of seasons, rarely missing any home games. I absolutely love taking her with me and it's something I've always hoped would happen. She loves going to the home games, we sit in the Quarry Lane End and the atmosphere is really friendly and always feels safe.

This season she's asked to go to a few away games and I'll be honest I was a little unsure about this as I know it's often a different atmosphere going to away games. She's been to Rochdale, Walsall and now Stockport this season. I've got to say at each of those games I have felt uncomfortable at times. I've regularly seen fans taking drugs (without even disguising it most of the time!), being unable to handle their beer, acting aggressively towards stewards and other fans, throwing smoke bombs etc. It's got to the point where if she's with me at an away game we just go straight to the ground from the car rather than having a walk around or a drink.

There definitely seems to be a large amounts of Stags fans that are so inconsiderate of others like the young or elderly. I know it's nothing like it was in the 70s/80s but football should be family friendly and I shouldn't have to consider stopping taking my daughter to away games because of some that are more interested in taking drugs / getting drunk / looking for trouble.

It’s nothing new and why it’s important to have a family stand/area away from the main culprits.

One of the best features of the Bishop Street Stand was its isolation combined with an elevated view but keeping proximity to the pitch. In my view that side is the natural place for a family stand and that would also suit a smaller stand and require fewer stewards. If the exit directly onto Bishop Street could be revived it would also keep the youngsters away from any trouble whilst leaving the ground.

In respect of the idiots, I honestly don’t think they will ever be totally eradicated as unfortunately it’s part of human nature for young men to flex their masculinity on their way to maturity.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:10 am

A few facts...

- we have had and always will have a vociferous and aggressive element to our fan base
- away games that attract large crowds will have an aggressive edge to them
- drugs are currently a part of the culture (but won't be forever)
- if and when we go up the leagues, these issues will increase
- there are wider societal issues at play
- there's probably not much that an of us can do about it

A few suggestions....
- avoid the games that you know will have that edge if you don't like it
- don't take your kids to away games
- try not to worry too much about it
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:20 am

bellwhiff wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Retro rob wrote:
PostmanPat wrote:No alcohol, no drugs, no pyros, no swearing…

What’s next no loud chanting?

Should be zero tolerance on drugs anywhere, Wembley way stank of it, why has football authorities allowed this to escalate?

Boring

What’s boring ? That there should be a zero tolerance on drugs?

Yeah

Think of the tax lad.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Laney_MTFC » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:21 am

ParisStag wrote:A few facts...

- we have had and always will have a vociferous and aggressive element to our fan base

A few suggestions....

Does anybody go in the home end at away games? i had a bit of a crap day with our fans at donny and wondered if sitting in the home end (being responsible) is a genuine alternative?
Laney_MTFC
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:30 am

They are not facts. They’re opinions!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby 88STAG » Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:02 am

A few suggestions....

My point is that it's wrong to have to consider avoiding certain games or not taking my daughter because some idiots spoil it!
88STAG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Rob » Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:32 am

Laney_MTFC wrote:

A few suggestions....

Does anybody go in the home end at away games? i had a bit of a crap day with our fans at donny and wondered if sitting in the home end (being responsible) is a genuine alternative?

Our day at Donny was almost ruined but we decided to move early. We couldn't move at Walsall so had a pretty miserable experience as I've mentioned.

I've been in home ends a few times (Tickets for Troops tickets), it's not great to be honest, but if I had a youngster I'd definitely consider a home family stand. Behaviour is that bad at some games that there probably is a need for clubs to provide a family area for away supporters, maybe not possible at all grounds but should be at most. Stockport tickets on the side could have been made family tickets for example.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby 88STAG » Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:46 pm

Rob wrote:
Laney_MTFC wrote:

A few suggestions....

Our day at Donny was almost ruined but we decided to move early. We couldn't move at Walsall so had a pretty miserable experience as I've mentioned.

I've been in home ends a few times (Tickets for Troops tickets), it's not great to be honest, but if I had a youngster I'd definitely consider a home family stand. Behaviour is that bad at some games that there probably is a need for clubs to provide a family area for away supporters, maybe not possible at all grounds but should be at most. Stockport tickets on the side could have been made family tickets for example.

I think a family area for away fans would be a great idea
88STAG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Laney_MTFC » Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:28 pm

I've been in home ends a few times (Tickets for Troops tickets), it's not great to be honest, but if I had a youngster I'd definitely consider a home family stand. Behaviour is that bad at some games that there probably is a need for clubs to provide a family area for away supporters, maybe not possible at all grounds but should be at most. Stockport tickets on the side could have been made family tickets for example.[/quote]

I think a family area for away fans would be a great idea[/quote]

I go on my own, so a family seat in the away or home end would be ideal for me. Id definitely go to more away games.
Laney_MTFC
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby ParisStag » Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:38 pm

88STAG wrote:

A few suggestions....

My point is that it's wrong to have to consider avoiding certain games or not taking my daughter because some idiots spoil it!

I agree. I don't take my 8 year old daughter, despite her asking to go to away games because I know there's a chance it'll get ruined by idiots. I've accepted that it's like that for now and I can't do anything about it so I don't worry about it any more.

I took them once - to Orient - and it was fine, so I might consider taking them to places like that where the yobs can't be bothered to travel, but I think I'll wait a couple of years.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:40 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:They are not facts. They’re opinions!

The only one that isn't a fact is that there's not much we can do about it - and I'd argue that's pretty much a fact too.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:41 pm

Laney_MTFC wrote:

A few suggestions....

You can definitely do it, just don't let on you're Stags otherwise you're taking a different risk with your kids - being abused or attacked by home fans.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby JessicasCat » Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:18 pm

We've always had a few 'lads' following us .Psycho Express,MSE etc. However the young coked up idiots seem to be on the rise.
Me and a mate had to have a words with a few of these behind us at Donny, they really distressed a young girl with her Dad and brought her to tears.
We moved her into our seats and kindly suggested the lads moved.Fortunately one of them was less off his head and moved his mates.
Local away days have always attracted a larger away following and with this comes the less desirables but there seems to be no respect for the young kids or elderly from some sections of our fanbase.
JessicasCat
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:53 pm

This thread is why the gate is closed

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby PostmanPat » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:07 pm

And you know that for definite yes?
PostmanPat
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:22 pm

PostmanPat wrote:And you know that for definite yes?

Oh do be brief.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:28 pm

Fair play the the Stags faithful tonight, the sponsored silence must have raised a few quid for charity.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:34 pm

Sneag wrote:Fair play the the Stags faithful tonight, the sponsored silence must have raised a few quid for charity.

I was watching at home and dozed off around 70 mins, i can only but sympathise with those who stopped to watch the whole 90 minutes in person.

That performance had the ability to suck the fun out of a circus.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:33 am

I must have watched a different game
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:27 pm

yorkstag wrote:I must have watched a different game

Me too i was on a knife edge will they get a breakaway goal can Mansfield take the points.
Funny but i watch two teams must be boring to only watch one.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Pitkin » Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:04 pm

bear 73 wrote:
yorkstag wrote:I must have watched a different game

Me too i was on a knife edge will they get a breakaway goal can Mansfield take the points.
Funny but i watch two teams must be boring to only watch one.

Have to agree, whilst there may have been little in terms of shots at goal, the game was hard fought, Grimsby fans made for a good atmosphere, and it could have gone either way right to the end.
An entertaining 0-0 for me, as opposed to the visit of Sutton on Sat, with zero atmosphere, and the prospect of us struggling with a day less to recover, and a battered squad.
Pitkin
Youth Team
Youth Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum