{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Kevin Bird 1952-2023

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Kevin Bird 1952-2023

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:43 am

I wish I could’ve seen him play (b1976). Well said Steve…that’s a top post!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:46 am

His playing days well before my time but heard nothing but lovely stories about him over the years. A sad time for Kevin's family and the club. Happy to chip into a gofundme page for a memorial for him at Field Mill.

RIP Kevin
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:43 pm

We should start sticking some statues up for these club greats, nothing too big but create an area on the corner of the West Stand/Quarry Lane for them where fans first walk into the ground, other clubs do it. Maybe something the SSA would lead.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby HarryW » Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:12 pm

Another sad loss. We even named our canary "Kevin"!
HarryW
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Pitkin » Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:35 pm

Steve North wrote:It was with great sadness that I saw this news announced today.

Kevin Bird was not just representative of that great team of the 1970s, a team which achieved so much success during that period. He was also representative of Mansfield Town Football club and always will be.

It is almost unheard of these days that footballers stay with the same football club for such a long period of time. Kevin Bird played 450 games for Mansfield Town over a period of 11 years. He was a fixture in a team which had a period of incredible success, achieving 2 promotions, cup runs and acts of giant killing. Kevin Bird was central to that team. He was part of the glue which held it together. This is a testament to Kevin Birds’s professionalism, loyalty and capability as a footballer.

Sure, Kevin Bird was one of a greats at Mansfield. A legend you would say. However, he was also a genuinely nice guy who made an effort to engage with the supporters.

As a 10 year old child, I was lucky enough to live next door but one to Kevin Bird, on Hereford Avenue, in Mansfield Woodhouse. When I learned that Kevin Bird was due to move into number 21 Hereford Avenue, I was full of excitement. I was fit to burst. Gordon Hodgson live just around the corner on Worcester Avenue and Ian MacDonald lived just further up on Hereford Avenue, and now The legend Kevin Bird was about to join them.

I was a regular at Field Mill with my best pal, Tim Taylor. We could both name every player in that 1974 team - and now I was going to have one of my heroes as a neighbour. I dreamt of kickabouts in the street, kev putting crosses in for me to head into the top corner and getting autographs for all my schoolmates.

And I was not disappointed, Kevin would often join in with the odd kick about on Hereford Avenue with me and my pals. How cool was that - me and Kev being best pals. He was a good guy and always had time for me whether it was to talk about football, get a few autographs for my mates or a bit of a kick about. He was a class act.

One particular memory was when Mansfield played away at Blackpool. I was with my dad. As the players left the pitch at the end of the game, I shouted to Kev and when he saw me he came over and said ‘Hi’. He then asked me and my dad to meet him in the players bar after the game. He bought me a bottle of pop and some crisps and my dad a beer. He then asked me if I would like to meet all the players. And so he took me around to get the autographs of all the Stags and then the Blackpool players and all the Blackpool players were like his best mates - and that was the mark of the man - the respect he received from other pros.

And so today has been a day of reflection on those great memories. It was a privilege to watch Kev play football and it was a privilege to watch that team win those 2 promotions. It is a team in which the players will live forever in our memories. And it was a privilege to briefly know the man when he lived on Hereford Avenue.

And it is with great celebration that we will gather together as a community and family of supporters at our next home game to celebrate a king amongst men, a legend and role model.

RIP Kevin Bird x

Wonderful wonderful words Steve, a 60yo man sat here with alot of 'dust' in my eyes!
Pitkin
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Curry 9 Brace 7 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:43 pm

He was one of the best players i have seen at the Mill, and i have seen a few. I cannot remember him having a bad game . He was always Mr reliable. Thanks for the memories Kev. XX
Curry 9 Brace 7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneag » Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:34 pm

Pitkin wrote:
Steve North wrote:It was with great sadness that I saw this news announced today.

Kevin Bird was not just representative of that great team of the 1970s, a team which achieved so much success during that period. He was also representative of Mansfield Town Football club and always will be.

It is almost unheard of these days that footballers stay with the same football club for such a long period of time. Kevin Bird played 450 games for Mansfield Town over a period of 11 years. He was a fixture in a team which had a period of incredible success, achieving 2 promotions, cup runs and acts of giant killing. Kevin Bird was central to that team. He was part of the glue which held it together. This is a testament to Kevin Birds’s professionalism, loyalty and capability as a footballer.

Sure, Kevin Bird was one of a greats at Mansfield. A legend you would say. However, he was also a genuinely nice guy who made an effort to engage with the supporters.

As a 10 year old child, I was lucky enough to live next door but one to Kevin Bird, on Hereford Avenue, in Mansfield Woodhouse. When I learned that Kevin Bird was due to move into number 21 Hereford Avenue, I was full of excitement. I was fit to burst. Gordon Hodgson live just around the corner on Worcester Avenue and Ian MacDonald lived just further up on Hereford Avenue, and now The legend Kevin Bird was about to join them.

I was a regular at Field Mill with my best pal, Tim Taylor. We could both name every player in that 1974 team - and now I was going to have one of my heroes as a neighbour. I dreamt of kickabouts in the street, kev putting crosses in for me to head into the top corner and getting autographs for all my schoolmates.

And I was not disappointed, Kevin would often join in with the odd kick about on Hereford Avenue with me and my pals. How cool was that - me and Kev being best pals. He was a good guy and always had time for me whether it was to talk about football, get a few autographs for my mates or a bit of a kick about. He was a class act.

One particular memory was when Mansfield played away at Blackpool. I was with my dad. As the players left the pitch at the end of the game, I shouted to Kev and when he saw me he came over and said ‘Hi’. He then asked me and my dad to meet him in the players bar after the game. He bought me a bottle of pop and some crisps and my dad a beer. He then asked me if I would like to meet all the players. And so he took me around to get the autographs of all the Stags and then the Blackpool players and all the Blackpool players were like his best mates - and that was the mark of the man - the respect he received from other pros.

And so today has been a day of reflection on those great memories. It was a privilege to watch Kev play football and it was a privilege to watch that team win those 2 promotions. It is a team in which the players will live forever in our memories. And it was a privilege to briefly know the man when he lived on Hereford Avenue.

And it is with great celebration that we will gather together as a community and family of supporters at our next home game to celebrate a king amongst men, a legend and role model.

RIP Kevin Bird x

Wonderful wonderful words Steve, a 60yo man sat here with alot of 'dust' in my eyes!

Indeed.

It was wonderful living in Woodhouse at the time if you were a Stags fan, go in any pub at that time and one club legend or another would be in there. They were all such a down to earth bunch too.

Birdy's story about being fectched from the Park Hall Tavern to play against Spurs is a classic. :D
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:16 pm

Kevin Bird. Part of that team in the mid 70's that introduced me to football as a 10 year old at the Mill, and never bettered since ( and probably never will be).
Arnold, Pate, Hodgson, Matthews, the Fosters, McCaffrey, Clarke, Eccles, and of course Kevin Bird amongst others.
Hard as nails footballer and a true gent off the pitch. RIP and thanks for the memories.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby stagone1959 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:00 pm

Missed Lathan from the first 11,and of course Laverick as sub
stagone1959
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby kentish stag » Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:05 pm

He always gave 100% to the team, always liked his attude,and got me into the stags in the. 70’s

RIP.
kentish stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby jpstags » Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:24 am

As a young lad I remember watching a pre season friiendly against Sutton Town early 1980s.Kevin Bird was actually playing for Sutton. He went in really hard and smashed a Stags player up into the air. Next to me a bloke started chuckling and said 'same old Birdy hard as nails hired assassin' it was actually Ian Greaves. RIP.
jpstags
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby panthersfan » Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:00 pm

I went to Kevin's testimonial dinner which was part of his benefit year, held at The Devonshire suite in the Idlewells at Sutton. Emlyn Hughes was guest speaker, and the ideal choice. Two players who embodied commitment to their respective clubs, and played the game hard but fair.
panthersfan
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:27 pm

Sad news, RIP Stags legend
Champions 1974-75, 1976-77, 2012-13

Freight Rover Trophy Winners 1986-87
KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager

Postby acasman » Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:32 pm

Listening to commentary and stags fans singing "only one Kevin Bird"
acasman
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Bros » Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:58 pm

acasman wrote:Listening to commentary and stags fans singing "only one Kevin Bird"

That was a nerve tingling moment. We all stood and clapped for a minute
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:31 pm

Very sombre moment
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:58 pm

RIP Kevin
Giant of the golden era at Field Mill
Will always be rembered
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Bridgford Stag » Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:06 pm

Really good post Steve and nice to have memories such as those.

Kevin Bird....445 appearances and 63 goals over the period 1972 to 1983.
And was described as '....became one of the most feared central defenders in the lower divisions...'

Thanks to Stan Searle for that...

Saw Birdy many a time and was always for me an automatic choice on the teamsheet. An honest player who gave his all and wasn't above himself. Fond memories of him.

RIP and condolences to all who surrounded him.
Bridgford Stag
First Team
First Team

Postby part time pete » Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:25 pm

Bridgford Stag wrote:Really good post Steve and nice to have memories such as those.

Kevin Bird....445 appearances and 63 goals over the period 1972 to 1983.
And was described as '....became one of the most feared central defenders in the lower divisions...'

Thanks to Stan Searle for that...

Saw Birdy many a time and was always for me an automatic choice on the teamsheet. An honest player who gave his all and wasn't above himself. Fond memories of him.

RIP and condolences to all who surrounded him.

Welcome back, Bridgford, you have been missed.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Harrington St Stag » Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:40 pm

A gentleman and an outstanding player.

it was an honour to have him play such a big part in the club. RIP Kevin.
Harrington St Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:08 pm

Funeral details and details for Salford game

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby MOTG » Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:07 pm

R.I.P. Kevin . Deepest Sympathy to all Family and Friends . I have fond memories of Birdie . A great player , full of passion and made of steel. One of our best!
MOTG
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Rob » Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:01 pm

I thought the minutes applause today was fantastic and lots of people around me, including me, had tears in their eyes. He was loved by those of us of a certain generation and today was a fitting tribute.

Also great to see some of our other legends looking so well.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:11 pm

Rob wrote:I thought the minutes applause today was fantastic and lots of people around me, including me, had tears in their eyes. He was loved by those of us of a certain generation and today was a fitting tribute.

Wish they had named them
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:14 pm

Rob wrote:I thought the minutes applause today was fantastic and lots of people around me, including me, had tears in their eyes. He was loved by those of us of a certain generation and today was a fitting tribute.

I must confess to gettig a little grit in the eye about 30 seconds in.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum