{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Kevin Bird 1952-2023

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Kevin Bird 1952-2023

Postby James Brunt » Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:12 pm

Rest in Peace Kevin.
An absolute Mansfield Town legend!
Our thoughts and prayers go out to Sue, Family and Friends of Kevin.
Once a Stag - Always a Stag!
James Brunt
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby olderlad » Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:19 pm

Dont make them like him anymore.
RIP Bigman.
olderlad
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Hon Sec » Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:03 pm

RIP Kevin, condolences to Sue and family.
Hon Sec
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby jonnym150281 » Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:08 pm

Definitely warrants a statue outside the ground! RIP.
jonnym150281
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby stagmanrob » Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:09 pm

I know we have a memorial for Kevin Bird in a way by having the executive suite named after him, but I think we as fans should have something in his honour too.

You see it at Premier League clubs where they have permanent banners honouring their legends.

We should do a crowd funder or something where the fans can chip in to do something similar?

Just a thought?

RIP Kevin, as great off the pitch as he was on it too.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby robeyre » Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:22 pm

Rip Kevin. A real legend. Will always be remembered by all who watched him play
robeyre
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby scotsstag » Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:24 pm

RIP Kevin.
Legend is not a big enough word...
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:25 pm

Sincere condolences to Sue and family.
Kev was a brilliant player at both ends of the pitch, although I missed his prime years he was a fans favourite from very early on.
I had the pleasure of sitting near him in the West stand and even in his final matches at Field Mill he had great knowledge of the game and a wry sense of humour.
RIP
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby 88BenM » Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:28 pm

stagmanrob wrote:I know we have a memorial for Kevin Bird in a way by having the executive suite named after him, but I think we as fans should have something in his honour too.

You see it at Premier League clubs where they have permanent banners honouring their legends.

We should do a crowd funder or something where the fans can chip in to do something similar?

Just a thought?

RIP Kevin, as great off the pitch as he was on it too.

Ian Greaves West Stand
Kevin Bird QLE

The man was iconic for Mansfield Town. We are a much worse place without him. Let's get the QLE renamed to honour him.
88BenM
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby StaginMorley » Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:48 pm

A true icon and one of my all-time Stags heroes
R.I.P. Kev
StaginMorley
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby natfromboza » Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:52 pm

RIP. A very sad day. Thoughts are with his friends and his family.
natfromboza
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby iansmith » Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:42 pm

Very, very sad to hear of the passing of one of the all time greats. Kevin Bird would be one of the first names in an all time Stags best 11. RIP Kevin.
iansmith
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Steve North » Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:46 pm

It was with great sadness that I saw this news announced today.

Kevin Bird was not just representative of that great team of the 1970s, a team which achieved so much success during that period. He was also representative of Mansfield Town Football club and always will be.

It is almost unheard of these days that footballers stay with the same football club for such a long period of time. Kevin Bird played 450 games for Mansfield Town over a period of 11 years. He was a fixture in a team which had a period of incredible success, achieving 2 promotions, cup runs and acts of giant killing. Kevin Bird was central to that team. He was part of the glue which held it together. This is a testament to Kevin Birds’s professionalism, loyalty and capability as a footballer.

Sure, Kevin Bird was one of a greats at Mansfield. A legend you would say. However, he was also a genuinely nice guy who made an effort to engage with the supporters.

As a 10 year old child, I was lucky enough to live next door but one to Kevin Bird, on Hereford Avenue, in Mansfield Woodhouse. When I learned that Kevin Bird was due to move into number 21 Hereford Avenue, I was full of excitement. I was fit to burst. Gordon Hodgson live just around the corner on Worcester Avenue and Ian MacDonald lived just further up on Hereford Avenue, and now The legend Kevin Bird was about to join them.

I was a regular at Field Mill with my best pal, Tim Taylor. We could both name every player in that 1974 team - and now I was going to have one of my heroes as a neighbour. I dreamt of kickabouts in the street, kev putting crosses in for me to head into the top corner and getting autographs for all my schoolmates.

And I was not disappointed, Kevin would often join in with the odd kick about on Hereford Avenue with me and my pals. How cool was that - me and Kev being best pals. He was a good guy and always had time for me whether it was to talk about football, get a few autographs for my mates or a bit of a kick about. He was a class act.

One particular memory was when Mansfield played away at Blackpool. I was with my dad. As the players left the pitch at the end of the game, I shouted to Kev and when he saw me he came over and said ‘Hi’. He then asked me and my dad to meet him in the players bar after the game. He bought me a bottle of pop and some crisps and my dad a beer. He then asked me if I would like to meet all the players. And so he took me around to get the autographs of all the Stags and then the Blackpool players and all the Blackpool players were like his best mates - and that was the mark of the man - the respect he received from other pros.

And so today has been a day of reflection on those great memories. It was a privilege to watch Kev play football and it was a privilege to watch that team win those 2 promotions. It is a team in which the players will live forever in our memories. And it was a privilege to briefly know the man when he lived on Hereford Avenue.

And it is with great celebration that we will gather together as a community and family of supporters at our next home game to celebrate a king amongst men, a legend and role model.

RIP Kevin Bird x
Steve North
First Team
First Team

Postby Rob » Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:58 pm

RIP Kevin, a true Stags legend and another one of my childhood heroes who will be so sorely missed.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:17 pm

Steve North wrote:It was with great sadness that I saw this news announced today.

Kevin Bird was not just representative of that great team of the 1970s, a team which achieved so much success during that period. He was also representative of Mansfield Town Football club and always will be.

It is almost unheard of these days that footballers stay with the same football club for such a long period of time. Kevin Bird played 450 games for Mansfield Town over a period of 11 years. He was a fixture in a team which had a period of incredible success, achieving 2 promotions, cup runs and acts of giant killing. Kevin Bird was central to that team. He was part of the glue which held it together. This is a testament to Kevin Birds’s professionalism, loyalty and capability as a footballer.

Sure, Kevin Bird was one of a greats at Mansfield. A legend you would say. However, he was also a genuinely nice guy who made an effort to engage with the supporters.

As a 10 year old child, I was lucky enough to live next door but one to Kevin Bird, on Hereford Avenue, in Mansfield Woodhouse. When I learned that Kevin Bird was due to move into number 21 Hereford Avenue, I was full of excitement. I was fit to burst. Gordon Hodgson live just around the corner on Worcester Avenue and Ian MacDonald lived just further up on Hereford Avenue, and now The legend Kevin Bird was about to join them.

I was a regular at Field Mill with my best pal, Tim Taylor. We could both name every player in that 1974 team - and now I was going to have one of my heroes as a neighbour. I dreamt of kickabouts in the street, kev putting crosses in for me to head into the top corner and getting autographs for all my schoolmates.

And I was not disappointed, Kevin would often join in with the odd kick about on Hereford Avenue with me and my pals. How cool was that - me and Kev being best pals. He was a good guy and always had time for me whether it was to talk about football, get a few autographs for my mates or a bit of a kick about. He was a class act.

One particular memory was when Mansfield played away at Blackpool. I was with my dad. As the players left the pitch at the end of the game, I shouted to Kev and when he saw me he came over and said ‘Hi’. He then asked me and my dad to meet him in the players bar after the game. He bought me a bottle of pop and some crisps and my dad a beer. He then asked me if I would like to meet all the players. And so he took me around to get the autographs of all the Stags and then the Blackpool players and all the Blackpool players were like his best mates - and that was the mark of the man - the respect he received from other pros.

And so today has been a day of reflection on those great memories. It was a privilege to watch Kev play football and it was a privilege to watch that team win those 2 promotions. It is a team in which the players will live forever in our memories. And it was a privilege to briefly know the man when he lived on Hereford Avenue.

And it is with great celebration that we will gather together as a community and family of supporters at our next home game to celebrate a king amongst men, a legend and role model.

RIP Kevin Bird x

Superb Steve, thanks.
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:04 pm

you can watch "An Evening With Kevin Bird - from April 2014" on iFollow Stags.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:37 pm

Oh no how sad.

I heard he was on end of life support last night and got the.news this afternoon.
The Birds are family friends of ours (my in-laws really). been to several events and parties with Kevin and Sue over the years. Kevin wouldn't remember me most times I met him but I'd always sit and talk to him about matches gone by that I was too young to remember.

Rest in peace Kev.

Best wishes to your family.
Last edited by arsene wengers coat on Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby HU7stag » Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:42 pm

Game featuring Kevin Bird in the last game of the season April 1980 v Grimsby.

HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Philip » Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:10 pm

A terrific player in so many respects. I admired him. Thanks for the memories.
Philip
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Philip » Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:11 pm

A terrific player in so many respects. I admired him. Thanks for the memories.
Philip
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Spiritater » Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:05 am

Steve North wrote:It was with great sadness that I saw this news announced today.

RIP Kevin Bird x

Says it all about Kev, brilliant tribute to him.
He, at his best was as good as anything outside the First Division and probably as good as most of them too. I loved the guy.
Rest in Peace Kev.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Showaddywaddy » Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:13 am

What a brilliant tribute by Steve North, thanks for sharing that mate.

Kevin Bird will not only be remembered forever by the generation of Stags supporters lucky enough to witness him play for us in the golden era but also by those of us who came after and learned of his legend.

Rest in peace Kevin, a man who will be forever a hero of the Field Mill faithful.
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Manager
Manager

Postby london amber stag » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:07 am

Steve, that is a brilliant article and sums up Kevin perfectly. He and that 70s team are the main reason for my life time affiliation to the Stags. He was strong in the air, fearless in tackles and a great leader at the back. That team were the most successful in Stags history and he was a major part of that achievement. Kevin will never be forgotten at Field Mill and my thoughts go out to Sue and her family.
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Bucksstag » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:26 am

Thanks for all the memories, Kevin. RIP
Bucksstag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Warsop Stag » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:40 am

Kev’s team was where it all started for me and the Stags and I’m sure that’s the case for many other people who support the club through thick and thin to this very day.

The debt the club owes to the players of that era is incalculable and Birdy was one of the best.

RIP Kev.
Warsop Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum