{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Lucas

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Akins - does not merit his constant team selection

Postby PEAR CIDER » Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:11 pm

Really hate writing this and picking him out specifically today but christ on a bike.

It's like he's never kicked a football before. He got the nod ahead of gordon and Hewitt and he was seriously poo.

I watched him closely today mainily because it annoyed me that he got straight back in. I encouraged and got behind him all game. Opinion time

Anyway. Awful. 3 passes in particular was so poor.

Nigel need to let him bench .

Ps that 'fan' with his kid slagging the team off from the get go..

Only one embarrassment pal, clue.. it wernt their fans.the
Last edited by PEAR CIDER on Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Re: Aikens. Sod it

Postby Richard Cranium » Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:13 pm

Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:59 pm

PEAR CIDER wrote:Really hate writing this and picking him out specifically today but christ on a bike.

It's like he's never kicked a football before. He got the nod ahead of gordon and Hewitt and he was seriously poo.

I watched him closely today mainily because it annoyed me that he got straight back in. I encouraged and got behind him all game. Opinion time

You are entitled to your opinion. But at least spell his name correctly.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:13 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
PEAR CIDER wrote:Really hate writing this and picking him out specifically today but christ on a bike.

Cool input
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Re: Akins. Sod it

Postby Spiritater » Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:04 am

That's the spirit .
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:05 am

PEAR CIDER wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Cool input
That's better.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:11 am

Now you've stopped picking up on petty things..
Do you not agree?
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:40 am

Amber Andy wrote:
PEAR CIDER wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Cool input
That's better.

really?
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:40 am

Im not overly impressed with him ,but yesterday i wasn,t impressed with any of them akins was no better or worse than anyone else it was just the line up that baffled me ,we just have to see what this week brings and hope that we turn it around away from home or its going to be a long hard season
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby adamstag » Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:43 am

PEAR CIDER wrote:Now you've stopped picking up on petty things..
Do you not agree?

We may as well get behind akins as he will always get the nod to play like it or not
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:04 am

I think most fans would agree he doesn’t deserve to be in the team but what has gone so wrong with his form?
Burton fans speak highly of him.
His stats are great
Yet he pulls on a Stags shirt and is awful, why?
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:07 am

adamstag wrote:
Do you not agree?

We may as well get behind akins as he will always get the nod to play like it or not

We may as well get behind him?
He's not a toddler in need of support and encouragement, he's a fully grown man, and a footballer, he's in the public eye and in need of criticism and at times, deserved ridicule
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:19 am

HitchcocksShins wrote:
adamstag wrote:
Do you not agree?

We may as well get behind him?
He's not a toddler in need of support and encouragement, he's a fully grown man, and a footballer, he's in the public eye and in need of criticism and at times, deserved ridicule

think you’re being too literal pal. what i’m saying is yeah , he should get the criticism to a degree however the real criticism should be against clough for playing him.

Hardly like akins is going to be like “nah gaffer, i’m actually pretty raspberries and have the touch of a disorientated drunk elephant, please don’t pick me”.

The buck stops with clough on this one
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:26 am

adamstag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
PEAR CIDER wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Cool input
That's better.

really?
Yes, the spelling error has been corrected.

Now they need to support him. He is this seasons Bowery, and he came good. I think Akins will too given support. NC's favorite, what a load of tosh.
Last edited by Amber Andy on Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:27 am

the elephant in the room !
how & why can he have been a God like figure, player of season best player ever at Burton to this shadow of a player for us?, is it, could it be the curse of the Amber shirt striking again ?

If ever there was going to be a manager to reproduce this level it’s gotta be Clough so why ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:32 am

Ive always wanted to avoid hating on one player but he's been a terrible signing.

Hewitt or Gordon would be much better options at RWB - another poor decision from Clough.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:11 am

Agree

He was no worse than others yesterday, but just walking straight back into the side again is what got my back up.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:41 am

He really wasn’t bad yesterday. Didn’t do anything wrong really. I thought he defended quite well. Fans having a go at his performance throughout the match but also singing Quinn chants whilst he was having an absolute howler was odd to me but not surprising.

I do agree though that it’s frustrating that it seems like he’ll walk into the starting 11 whenever he’s fit though. He’s not earned that at all. But he was fine yesterday.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:14 pm

Just a copy and paste job from me on the similar sort of thread that's on Facebook. Relevant wherever I feel Akins is the topic of discusssion;

"It's not about whether he is up front or in defence. I think anyone who has ever kicked a ball at any level is amazed at how terrible his actual ability is in terms of his first touch and his ability to play simple 10 yard passes to feet.
I could honestly go down the local park and pick out ten Sunday League players with better ability.
Yes he works hard, and puts a shift in....but if that's your full time profession and you train every day, then that's standard stuff to expect, you should be fit enough to do just that.

Fans get frustrated because there are better players not getting played in preference of him.
I can only assume, given what Burton fans think of him and his longetivity there, that this wasn't always the case - hence Cloughie's blind loyalty to start him whenever he is fit.
But Burton probably saw the start of the decline, if he was any good they would have kept him on clearly....and he's 34 coming to the latter end of his career, we were never getting a good version of him anyway.

I don't find it a coincidence that some of the better performances we have put in so far (I include Orient away despite the result) where we played good to watch, free-flowing football, were games where Akins was out. In my opinion he breaks up so many good attacking moves with a terrible touch, a poor pass, bad decision making, or going backwards and slowing down momentum.

If he was all we had option-wise then he wouldn't be getting the stick he does, but we have two clearly better players to play on the right who must sit there scratching their heads as to how such a player with poor ability gets preferred to either of them.

If any other players performed as poorly as Akins does, do you think they'd be starting the next game? Not only do I think not, Clough would more than likely out them for poor performance in his interviews too - he does that regularly with the likes of Maris who is ten thousand times the player in terms of ability.

He has never criticised Akins once, yet he's not getting stick on here for no reason - it's not just everyone jumping on a mob mentality bandwagon - people are clearly all seeing the same thing!

I think I have seen him have one better than average game since being here, which was up front against Northampton.

Rest of the time I am still of the opinion that there are better Sunday League players who just aren't anywhere near as fit as him.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby tmwilson » Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:35 pm

He was definitely no worse than any of the other players yesterday. Clough isn't helping certain players situation by playing them in the wrong position.
I'm 100% behind Clough and do think he will gets us promoted but some of his team selections are baffling. Hewitt or Gordon should of starting before him in that position he played.
tmwilson
Manager
Manager

Postby Elkesley Stag » Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:07 pm

I can think of 3 other players who could possibly have played the Akins role yesterday, NC can think of a 14 . The other 3 possible starters have all been called on here recently and have all been described as a good enough for a bottom half of the table league 2 side , can’t believe he’s played in front of , doesn’t get back , no good going forward . There is currently no one making a claim for that shirt and that’s the biggest problem.
The midfielders missing from last week have been mentioned in this week’s team selection. Many supporters questioning team selection dropping of players etc . I cannot recall anybody complaining about the player from the previous game not starting in the role Akins had yesterday.

Old football saying , if you ask 10 football supporters a question you will get 15 answers ,
Elkesley Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby part time pete » Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:25 pm

tmwilson wrote:He was definitely no worse than any of the other players yesterday. Clough isn't helping certain players situation by playing them in the wrong position.
I'm 100% behind Clough and do think he will gets us promoted but some of his team selections are baffling. Hewitt or Gordon should of starting before him in that position he played.

Clough could be saying his selection was justified as Hewitt gave away a soft free kick which resulted in Sutton’s winning goal.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:44 pm

part time pete wrote:
tmwilson wrote:He was definitely no worse than any of the other players yesterday. Clough isn't helping certain players situation by playing them in the wrong position.

Clough could be saying his selection was justified as Hewitt gave away a soft free kick which resulted in Sutton’s winning goal.

But Hewitt wouldn't have been there, he'd have been where Alins was :lol:

Try harder Pete ;)
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:03 pm

Rob wrote:
part time pete wrote:

But Hewitt wouldn't have been there, he'd have been where Alins was :lol:

Try harder Pete ;)

Akins wasn’t on the pitch when they scored their second goal. He had already been subbed.

Gordon and Hewitt were playing in those right wing back and right centre back positions and had replaced O’Toole and Akins who were originally in those two positions.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:25 pm

I also think Akins gets more stick than he deserves. Ok he struggles to initially control the ball but overall is no worse than many of the others. He is more awkward than unskilled and his style is not pretty to watch but he generally holds the play up adequately.

I would have started Hewitt but would also start Akins ahead of Gordon who is too lightweight against physical teams like Sutton.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum