{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Lapslie (confirmed) & Hawkins (confirmed) sold to Gillingham

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Lapslie (confirmed) & Hawkins (confirmed) sold to Gillin

Postby tillydog123 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:12 pm

Great final post from Laps
Good player and brought energy to the side at a time we needed it
One good thing that CG did was to bring him into the club
Good luck with the Gills who are really more of a league 1 side and have been for a long time
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:48 am

tillydog123 wrote:Great final post from Laps
Good luck with the Gills who are really more of a league 1 side and have been for a long time

More of a league 1 side? More like non-league at the minute.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:04 pm

I am sorry to see Hawkins go. From a football perspective he was a good player. I understand his personal circumstances so get it.

I’ve read with interest the defence of Clough’s transfer dealings and feel slightly grubby to admit that I’m 100pc in lockstep with Rob. The transfer window (arguably the last 3) have been a calamity. I’m glad we’ve got three decent players in (so net one). We desperately need a goalscorer too.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:51 pm

bellwhiff wrote:I am sorry to see Hawkins go. From a football perspective he was a good player. I understand his personal circumstances so get it.

I’ve read with interest the defence of Clough’s transfer dealings and feel slightly grubby to admit that I’m 100pc in lockstep with Rob. The transfer window (arguably the last 3) have been a calamity. I’m glad we’ve got three decent players in (so net one). We desperately need a goalscorer too.

I don't get the whole calamity thing when we got to a play off final. Not every player we sign is gonna be perfect but Cloughs gets more right than wrong imo.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:53 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:I am sorry to see Hawkins go. From a football perspective he was a good player. I understand his personal circumstances so get it.

I don't get the whole calamity thing when we got to a play off final. Not every player we sign is gonna be perfect but Cloughs gets more right than wrong imo.

Just imagine how it might have been if we’d got our targets, had a credible and effective backup plan and not been stymied at quarter to midnight on the last day. We have conducted our acquisitions poorly. Even the manager admitted that.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:54 pm

The last 3 transfer windows have transformed us from Coughlans relegation fodder to a side that competes for a promotion/play off spot. Proper calamity
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:58 pm

tillydog123 wrote:Great final post from Laps

Agreed great post, All the best Laps for the future
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:00 pm

Richard Cranium wrote:The last 3 transfer windows have transformed us from Coughlans relegation fodder to a side that competes for a promotion/play off spot. Proper calamity

So you don’t think there have been failings? Do you think it could have been done better ? If so then that play off place would have been automatic.

I’d add that last season turned not on the transfer window but on the signing of O’Toole.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:05 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Just imagine how it might have been if we’d got our targets, had a credible and effective backup plan and not been stymied at quarter to midnight on the last day. We have conducted our acquisitions poorly. Even the manager admitted that.

Welcome back!

When did the manager admit we'd concluded our acquisitions poorly?

Is there a link to the interview?
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:06 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Some things are out of our hands sometimes. Like Naylor doing a big en at the death to go to Wigan, he could have made the difference between play offs and automatic.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:22 pm

broomo wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Welcome back!

Thank you. I distinctly recall him saying they could have handled it better in his post window closing interview. That they shouldn’t put their eggs in one basket. That they should have called deals earlier so we weren’t exposed. It’s out there. I’m not going to find it. I see that you’re just as zealous in defending the manager from any criticism no matter how mild or even implied.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:43 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
broomo wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Welcome back!

Thank you. I distinctly recall him saying they could have handled it better in his post window closing interview. That they shouldn’t put their eggs in one basket. That they should have called deals earlier so we weren’t exposed. It’s out there. I’m not going to find it. I see that you’re just as zealous in defending the manager from any criticism no matter how mild or even implied.

Not zealous, I just hadn't heard it and would be (and am) surprised if he'd said it.

It's good to have you back, maybe lets give it a couple of weeks before we start fighting over nothing again!
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:09 pm

I’m not here to fight anyone.

It’s touched on here.

https://youtu.be/-Ib650ViiWU

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:25 pm

You shouldn't feel grubby, you're entitled to be right every now and then! I'd certainly agree that the summer window was a calamity, though so far this one has been good in terms of incomings but yes we clearly still need a striker and a left sided defender.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:32 pm

Rob wrote:

You shouldn't feel grubby, you're entitled to be right every now and then! I'd certainly agree that the summer window was a calamity, though so far this one has been good in terms of incomings but yes we clearly still need a striker and a left sided defender.

Clough said left back is not a position they’re looking to strengthen, other than they may look at Lewis Page if/when he’s back fit. You’ll be pleased to know Macca was due to play 45 mins today in the friendly at Barnsley.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:57 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:

Clough said left back is not a position they’re looking to strengthen, other than they may look at Lewis Page if/when he’s back fit. You’ll be pleased to know Macca was due to play 45 mins today in the friendly at Barnsley.

Macca has gone from player of the year to pretty average due to being constantly played whilst injured. Clough brought Page in so he knows its an issue, it's bizarre to then play him in a friendly, he's our only left sided defender!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby trenty » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:39 pm

Lapslie not getting game time at Gillingham only coming on for last few minutes of every game
A player with 7 goals and 8 assists and not being played
Strange situation
trenty
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Captain Cunno » Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:24 pm

He's doubled his wages though so it's all ok.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:12 pm

trenty wrote:Lapslie not getting game time at Gillingham only coming on for last few minutes of every game
A player with 7 goals and 8 assists and not being played
Strange situation

Gillingham have won 3 and a draw in there last 4 games and looks like Laps will have to wait for is turn .

Ho look who we have Saturday at home Gillingham , he be wanting to play in that one.

Should be a CRACKER :D
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:44 pm

Have we a written agreement with the Gills that Hawkins and Laps can’t play against us in this game ???
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:50 pm

Billy the fish wrote:Have we a written agreement with the Gills that Hawkins and Laps can’t play against us in this game ???

Would not think so ,there players now.

And remember return of the Mac :) in his wolly hat and scarf :lol:

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:52 pm

I think we all know what happens here.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:57 pm

Billy the fish wrote:Have we a written agreement with the Gills that Hawkins and Laps can’t play against us in this game ???

you can't do that (unless it's a loan)
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:02 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:13 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:He's doubled his wages though so it's all ok.

It would be a brave man to turn down an extra £150k over 2 years to do the same job at his age.
broomo
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum