{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

January Transfer Window

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: January Transfer Window

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:48 pm

Can we not loan from non league in/out now ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag95 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:59 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:Can we not loan from non league in/out now ?

No they can still buy but we can’t bring anyone in now unless they’re without a club.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:23 pm

Showaddywaddy wrote:I think it’s been nothing short of a fantastic transfer window and that’s all credit to the management team, David Sharpe and the owners.

The fact we have made four permanent signings, all of which required a fee shows the commitment from the owners and the confidence they have in Clough to succeed.

The calibre of the signings is als hugely encouraging and I would imagine pretty much every League Two side and a fair chunk of the sides in League One are envious of the business we’ve done.

We look much more balanced and I’m hard pressed to suggest which signing will turn out to be the best as they are all impressive.

I’m very much look forward to the remainder of the season.

The fact all four signings cost around the same as what we'll get for the 3 we let go is tremendous business indeed.

Brilliant work from the much vaunted recruitment team.

Even though in an ideal world I wish we could have kept Lapslie and Hawkins.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:02 pm

value for money one piece of the jigsaw at a time , once more a good transfer window and once more we challenge the best in the league.
And now only 9 points of the magic 50,
Hotel , New stand a lot of money needed to move forward as a club, and always needing better players.
once more its the potential and investment needed but one step at a time, looking forward to a bumpy ride and a lot of highs and lows.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny H » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:36 pm

Am I right in saying NC said it could be 3 in and 3 out in the last week of the transfer window ?

If so.....Did we miss out on anyone yesterday ?

I still expect Jason Law to go out on loan along with James Gale when he is fit
Possibly JJOT too.
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:43 pm

bear 73 wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:No disputing we are in a better place after the window than before. Good work.

Correct ,but still would have liked a couple more signings just incase we hit a bad run of injuries again ,time will tell.

Yes I agree. But that might be construed as a slight on the manager and we can’t have that.

Grow up

Good post

Well Martin ? Double standards at play again ?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:54 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
bear 73 wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:Correct ,but still would have liked a couple more signings just incase we hit a bad run of injuries again ,time will tell.

Yes I agree. But that might be construed as a slight on the manager and we can’t have that.

Grow up

Good post

Well Martin ? Double standards at play again ?

all the above posts were before my request for users to stick to discussing players/managers/teams etc and not post about other users, where I quoted one example and said there are others.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby yellowstagsfan » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:10 pm

It's been a great window, now let's push on for automatic
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:12 pm

Agreed, I have to say that I was beginning to lose faith in the recruitment policy over the last two windows but this has restored a large amount of it
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:42 pm

I think this window is as good as it gets ...well done on some really good signings...onwards snd upwards
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:11 pm

Would have liked a LB and a LCB. Being the January window we have improved on our defensive players in the other defensive positions. If Page makes a full recovery and gets match fitness I can see him being a key player for us. Just depends on injury.

We've brought in 4 players who are arguably better than what we've let go. January isn't the time to do mass changes. Please don't let the LB/LWB situation bite us in the rear end.

Out of interest, Does anyone know what our average age was vs what it is now?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:21 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Would have liked a LB and a LCB. Being the January window we have improved on our defensive players in the other defensive positions. If Page makes a full recovery and gets match fitness I can see him being a key player for us. Just depends on injury.

We've brought in 4 players who are arguably better than what we've let go. January isn't the time to do mass changes. Please don't let the LB/LWB situation bite us in the rear end.

Out of interest, Does anyone know what our average age was vs what it is now?

Pretty much the same, around 28.5.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:44 pm

Average age of squad was reduced from 28.71 to 28.35 (not including Knowles, Gale and Cooper)
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:39 am

Thanks. Slowly coming down.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Fitzy499 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:53 am

With all the great signings that have been made this window, and the backing from JR does anyone else get the impression cloughie will be given a new 3year contract in the summer. I for one hope he does get a new contract
Fitzy499
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:59 am

Fitzy499 wrote:With all the great signings that have been made this window, and the backing from JR does anyone else get the impression cloughie will be given a new 3year contract in the summer. I for one hope he does get a new contract

I don’t see him going anywhere unless thinks go drastically south.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:05 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Average age of squad was reduced from 28.71 to 28.35 (not including Knowles, Gale and Cooper)

Why not Knowles and Gale? Haven't they been squad members this season? Cooper is on loan, but they are not
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:18 am

georgefostersbeard wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Average age of squad was reduced from 28.71 to 28.35 (not including Knowles, Gale and Cooper)

Why not Knowles and Gale? Haven't they been squad members this season? Cooper is on loan, but they are not

Barely played any league minutes.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:18 am

MTFCMusings wrote:

Why does that matter. It’s a squad.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:25 am

If they aren't included in the before January squad age then they shouldn't be included in the after January squad age (and vice versa) . Otherwise it'd skew the average age to be lower after January when it wasn't.

If you get my meaning.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:27 am

In fact come to think about it some players are a year older than at the start of the season so I guess it was a fairly pointless question to begin with... :lol:
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Scothie the Stag » Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:41 am

In that case Musings/Gazza, do we know if Johnson has been included? He hasn't played any league minutes for us this season.
Last edited by Scothie the Stag on Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scothie the Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:50 am

A good point. I doubt Lewis page was included in either but played in half of the Harrogate games in November

I think we'd need to list the current ages of all the relevant players. Pre January include any players who have played official games up to the window opening (even if they got 5 mins, so ko DJ but include page) then work out who we have avaliable as of right now, who is our player and is eligible to play official games for us for the rest of the season (so include DJ but not Page because he doesn't have a contract right now)

DJ was transferred out before the season started and was transferred back in after his loan ended on 15th Jan. So he wasn't eligible to play for us after his transfer to Walsall. No matter if it was temporary.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Elkesley Stag » Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:52 am

Could go on forever with the average age . We have a 36 year old keeper who has played one league game . Is he included ?
Elkesley Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:04 am

bellwhiff wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Why does that matter. It’s a squad.

In my opinion the average age is useful to determine the age of the players who are actually playing.

I don’t know how Darren did it, for the one pre January I included all players who had played 90 league minutes or more, and the one for now with the same but also including Danny Johnson as I think it better fit what Gazza was trying to establish. The post window also included Scott Flinders for me as he only played 90 minutes last week. That’s probably why mine and Darren’s differed.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum