{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Next Season

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Next Season

Postby Costastag » Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:02 am

Amber Andy wrote:
Costastag wrote:As far as being qualified to comment like ashover stag ,we are going nowhere ,we might as well just forget any ambition under cloughie ,i got slated for my backing of coughlan ,but nigel is taking us nowhere in fact the only good players are coughlans signings lets just get to the end of the season and it must be adios amigo

How can you compare Clough with Coughlan ? You may be right that Clough isn't taking us anywhere, but Coughlan was taking us somewhere called tha National League.

Im not comparing clough with coughlan andy im saying that coughlans players are imo better than most of cloughs signings, also im not one who just wants change for changes sake hence the way i never called for him to be sacked
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:45 am

Costastag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
Costastag wrote:As far as being qualified to comment like ashover stag ,we are going nowhere ,we might as well just forget any ambition under cloughie ,i got slated for my backing of coughlan ,but nigel is taking us nowhere in fact the only good players are coughlans signings lets just get to the end of the season and it must be adios amigo

How can you compare Clough with Coughlan ? You may be right that Clough isn't taking us anywhere, but Coughlan was taking us somewhere called tha National League.

Im not comparing clough with coughlan andy im saying that coughlans players are imo better than most of cloughs signings, also im not one who just wants change for changes sake hence the way i never called for him to be sacked
I agree he did bring in one or two good players. To be fair to Clough, he has tried to sign three centre halves that we know of (one doing well at Stevenage, the other two playing in the league above ) and was unlucky not to do so.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag1 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:44 am

Only so many times you can be unlucky. If it wasn't for the Burton connection we'd have signed nobody.
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:03 am

bigalstag1 wrote:Only so many times you can be unlucky. If it wasn't for the Burton connection we'd have signed nobody.

I know, we'd have never have signed Pym, Hartigan, Boateng, Oates, Bishop, Swan, Harbottle, Hewitt, Longstaff if it wasn't for his Burton connections.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:37 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
bigalstag1 wrote:Only so many times you can be unlucky. If it wasn't for the Burton connection we'd have signed nobody.

I know, we'd have never have signed Pym, Hartigan, Boateng, Oates, Bishop, Swan, Harbottle, Hewitt, Longstaff if it wasn't for his Burton connections.

Whilst not buying into this obsession of thinking that Clough only signs ex Burton players, your post has left me confused. Some of the above players have never had any connection with Burton and in the case of Longstaff (offered at a wedding reception to the CEO) he was not even scouted by staff with Burton connections. Could you please explain your reasoning as I will be scratching my head all day if you don’t.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:41 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Whilst not buying into this obsession of thinking that Clough only signs ex Burton players, your post has left me confused. Some of the above players have never had any connection with Burton and in the case of Longstaff (offered at a wedding reception to the CEO) he was not even scouted by staff with Burton connections. Could you please explain your reasoning as I will be scratching my head all day if you don’t.

Sarcasm Sandy.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:44 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:

I was being sarcastic.

It's obviously not true that we only sign players from Burton. Managers like to sign players they've worked with before, and I don't get why Clough is getting beaten with that stick from some on here.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:03 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

I was being sarcastic.

It's obviously not true that we only sign players from Burton. Managers like to sign players they've worked with before, and I don't get why Clough is getting beaten with that stick from some on here.

Thanks Bobby. Far too subtle for me on a Saturday morning coupled with the fact I would never suspect you of being sarcastic :D :D :D
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:10 pm

Tomwh wrote:
broomo wrote:
Tomwh wrote:Broomo, do you see any issues with the squad and the performances of late at all? You keep mentioning last year, and our position now, however even throughout our barren run last year there were signs of a good footballing side. Currently, we seem to be on a downward spiral, and a lot of our good results this season came from poor performances.

I'm not sure what you expect this forum to be, just a few threads a week talking about how much of an honour it is to have Clough as our manager?

The squad is not balanced, our defence is slow, and team selections are getting weirder and weirder. Are these not valid criticisms?

Of course I see issues, I'd have to be blind not to. I certainly didn't expect this slump and thought we'd be cemented in the top 6.

I thought Perch and O'Toole would cope much better than they have when needed. I hoped Macca would stay fit as he did for most of last season.

I expected Lucas to have a decent season, admittedly playing alongside Oates and he's performed below average on the whole.

I thought Boateng would take the league by storm, he hasn't.

I wish people would stop with this line that I think Mansfield are honoured and should bow down to Nigel for being here. I like the club on the whole, he's the manager at this given time, no more no less. He's not god (there was only ever one of those in the Clough househole)

I see some selections as strange, some as necessity.

But I'll remind everyone of the good runs he's put together, the records he has broken, I'll remind everyone that this squad is more than capable of stringing a couple of sets of 5 wins on the bounce together and I'll remind everyone we are still on track to finish in the play offs (hopefully better) for the second season in a row and that doesn't happen too often at Mansfield Town.

The winning runs aren't flukes, he doesn't suddenly forget how to manage when we lose a couple and irrespective of what Rob says, there are too many discussions around getting rid and bringing in a "younger" a "more ambitious" a "better man manager" a "manager who doesn't just play his mates or has beens" for my liking and about a manager who on the whole is doing a decent (not world beating) job.

He either chooses to or deliberately ignores them to continue what seems to be turning into a semi personal argument. Now he can say no-one wants him sacked as much as he wants but all of the above have been posted on here within the last fortnight.

I hope we sign a centre half in January so I've changed my mind on that.

You can be sure if he does sign one it will be because he (like me) has recognised Perch and O'Toole are struggling and he (like me) is probably surprised and disappointed by that.

It won't be because he logged on to Stagsnet, read the posts and thought "raspberry me, why didn't I think of that"

My biggest concern is that the issues are getting worse, and if he's being honest in his interviews he thinks the squad is fine, which it just isn't.

If he does sign a centre half in January it's because (like everyone that knows pretty much anything about football) we desperately need one. I can't believe after the playoff final he stuck with Hawkins at the back, and has been trying the likes of Clarke and bowery there too.

He's recently had Oates at RW, Akins and Bowery both as wing backs, Maris moved around the pitch when he's our best player as a deep playmaker by a country mile. Akins is turning out to be one of the most disappointing signings I've known, yet he's playing 90 every week.

The strange selections, which you mention at times have been necessities - are entirely self inflicted. We're over 2 years into his reign, the problems that we had 2 years ago are mostly the problems we still have now, and it seems they are getting worse not better.

I sincerely hope we do go on a winning run, but based on the performances we've seen, Clough's comments, his own recent performances, it looks unlikely. If we don't go on a good run, and we don't fix the squad issues in January, surely even you can see it might be the time for him to go?

He'll get until the summer, I'm pretty sure, and I think that's maybe right. However anything less than top 7 this year and I'd say his time here would end up being pretty unsuccessful.

I can't see how you can possibly say that.

Just over 2 years ago we were second bottom of the league and couldn't win a game.

A play off final and 7th up to now this season suggests things are much, much better.

I do agree that if we finish outside of the play offs this time around he'll be under real pressure to keep his job.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:13 am

Marky Mark wrote:We saw how we played with Hawkins, Harbottle and Hewitt at the back v Sheff Weds, any other variation at the back and we struggle

"Triple H" have a very good record when all three of them start - P8 W5 D2 L1
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:14 am

I always feel confident of a win when I see those 3 on the team sheet.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Ralphy » Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:52 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
Marky Mark wrote:We saw how we played with Hawkins, Harbottle and Hewitt at the back v Sheff Weds, any other variation at the back and we struggle

If we are to keep going with three at the back then it has to be this three, begs the question should we be looking for a right wing back in the window or a centre half for Hewitt to go RWB?
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:16 am

Ralphy wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:

If we are to keep going with three at the back then it has to be this three, begs the question should we be looking for a right wing back in the window or a centre half for Hewitt to go RWB?

IMO a left footed CB to enable Hawkins to cover CF and/or CB from the benchand play Gordon RWB.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:23 am

I'd love a Left footed CB so we could move Riley over and release Hewitt to play RWB...
Hewitts energy , crossing ability and defensive nouse is ideal for RWB and a big upgrade from Gordon for me.

Even a right footed CB would do so we can move him over
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:20 am

I’ve read this thread and became quite depressed.

I then checked the league table and we’re 7th.

Let’s get some sense of perspective.
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:20 am

I’ve read this thread and became quite depressed.

I then checked the league table and we’re 7th.

Let’s get some sense of perspective.
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:32 am

You can say that again
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:07 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote: the case of Longstaff (offered at a wedding reception to the CEO) he was not even scouted by staff with Burton connections.

Longstaff's agent had just got engaged whilst on holiday at the same place as David Sharpe.
Sharpe sent a bottle of champagne over to congratulate him and the rest stemmed from there apparently.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Costastag » Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:13 pm

Just reading sir matt busbys official autobiography ,one quote rings out it said he wasnt a tactical genius ,he just played the best players in thier best positions
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby yorkstag » Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:41 pm

He managed Man Utd not a league 2 club where you have to make the best use of resources.
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:24 pm

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.O'Toole was wanted by every stags fan to sign.I have never seen a player go downhill so quickly.I have seen the majority of games this season including the Sheffield Wednesday game where we were so good until Bannan came on. We definitely need a quality centre back to release Hawkins to play up front with Oates.It looks like Bowery is out of favour cannot see him being retained if he is out of contract.Keep posting Broomo like your posts.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:10 am

yorkstag wrote:He managed Man Utd not a league 2 club where you have to make the best use of resources.

By signing another midfielder in hartigan rather than a much needed centre half :roll:
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:58 am

Costastag wrote:Just reading sir matt busbys official autobiography ,one quote rings out it said he wasnt a tactical genius ,he just played the best players in thier best positions

I wonder why we aren't all football managers then if it's that easy :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:12 am

Costastag wrote:
yorkstag wrote:He managed Man Utd not a league 2 club where you have to make the best use of resources.

By signing another midfielder in hartigan rather than a much needed centre half :roll:
It is all about availability.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:24 am

Amber Andy wrote:
Costastag wrote:

It is all about availability.

Its also about planning ,listen im not saying Clough out or anything like ,but its been one of our failings this season ,anyway its only an opinion
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum