{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Clough interview post Harrogate

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Clough interview post Harrogate

Postby bigalstag1 » Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:22 pm

You can have a 100 shots on target, doesn't matter. Goals count.
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby Dan » Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:47 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Never a foul on Akins for the second goal.

To say Akins is a big-ish lad he doesn't half get pushed off the ball way too easy. I didn't think it was a foul at the time

Agree with you both. That was some serious straw clutching from Clough claiming it could've been a foul. For such a big strong bloke I've never seen a weaker player.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:05 pm

Not the first time Clough has picked the wrong team
Had no choice than to admit that
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:37 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:16 attempts on goal. Conveniently omitting the shots on target stat. It was 4. 25% of our shots are on target

Harrogate had 10 shots with 6 on target. 60% of their shots were on target. That's your difference. The other difference is we let teams walz through us.

We actually had a higher xg that Harrogate. Harrogate 1.26 - 1.84 Mansfield. There is the fallacy of the xg stat. It counts every shot. We had nearly double the amount of shots as them but all got rated and added and made it look like we battered them and didn't deserve to lose or even draw.

They battered our defence in the first half. Didn't really have to in the 2nd half. They didn't need to they had a 3 goal lead.

This is true to an extent. Game state is very important and needs to be taken into account.

When a team is 2-0 down after twenty minutes, they more often than not outshoot the opposition. They will therefore usually have more possession and a higher xG. It would be a damning indictment of a team if they did not dominate the rest of the game when they need at least two goals with 70 mins to play.

With regards to xG counting every shot, why wouldn’t it?

Thats my fault. I meant it just counts every shot. Without context of the shot, like you say.

Could be I don't understand xG but it just counts how often a goal is scored from that position? Whether it's an open goal or a back heel through a crowd of players?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:53 am

gazza1988 wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:16 attempts on goal. Conveniently omitting the shots on target stat. It was 4. 25% of our shots are on target

Harrogate had 10 shots with 6 on target. 60% of their shots were on target. That's your difference. The other difference is we let teams walz through us.

We actually had a higher xg that Harrogate. Harrogate 1.26 - 1.84 Mansfield. There is the fallacy of the xg stat. It counts every shot. We had nearly double the amount of shots as them but all got rated and added and made it look like we battered them and didn't deserve to lose or even draw.

They battered our defence in the first half. Didn't really have to in the 2nd half. They didn't need to they had a 3 goal lead.

This is true to an extent. Game state is very important and needs to be taken into account.

When a team is 2-0 down after twenty minutes, they more often than not outshoot the opposition. They will therefore usually have more possession and a higher xG. It would be a damning indictment of a team if they did not dominate the rest of the game when they need at least two goals with 70 mins to play.

With regards to xG counting every shot, why wouldn’t it?

Thats my fault. I meant it just counts every shot. Without context of the shot, like you say.

Could be I don't understand xG but it just counts how often a goal is scored from that position? Whether it's an open goal or a back heel through a crowd of players?

No, all models have different factors I think. For example, Opta’s has 35 different factors it takes into account.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:16 am

So there is some diversion on on the setup.

I prefer the graphs.

Like this one for Saturdays game. From experimental 3-6-1 which, oddly enough is the formation we use.

post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:38 pm

Good grief.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:16 pm

Made me dizzy
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:04 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
bigalstag1 wrote:Ninety nine percent of the game we were second best.

You must have been watching a completely different game. Our defending was poor but we had 59% possession, 16 attempts on goal compared to Harrogate's 10, won 9 corners compared to Harrogate's 4 and a passing accuracy of 79% compared to Harrogate's 72%.

The Harrogate keeper made 2 great saves in the 1st half from Anthony Hartigan and Lucas Akins, Oli Hawkins missed an open goal from Anthony Hartigan's free kick in the 1st half, Stephen Quinn blasted over an open goal in the 2nd half, Lucas Akins' back heel hit a Harrogate player on the line and Will Swan hit the bar with the header when perhaps he should have scored.

I agree Darren
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:06 pm

bigalstag1 wrote:Got to admit, that last sentence has put a smile on my face.

Have you EVER posted anything positive?
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:23 pm

broomo wrote:
bigalstag1 wrote:He can go on all night about injuries, playing players out of position, bad luck , etc. That this situation is down to him, his decisions on squad size, formations and playing aged players, he takes no responsibility for. To say there was any merit in that performance ,today, is an insult to anybody that was there and watching. Ninety nine percent of the game we were second best, and in some parts third best, against a team that had collected one win from the last fourteen games

Do you think any of Hawkins, Quinn, Swan or Akins could/should have scored and that's not taking into account the saves from Hartigan and Akins x 2.

I don't care how much stick I take, I'm glad I see things the same as a manager who has a better than 40% win rate over more than 1,000 games rather than a few forum posters. The only thing I saw differently was I didn't think George Maris played that well but I set him very high standards.

Nigel took responsibility for picking the wrong side so folk have to find a different stick than the usual "he never takes responsibility"

Again the reaction on here is laughable. We lost 3-0 so it must have been the worst performance ever?

Good post
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum