{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

What is Clough thinking?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

What is Clough thinking?

Postby JDW » Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:48 pm

Get this clown out of the club due his recruitment alone. We literally have no width no wingers no pace no striker and no recognised centre back on the pitch today and we expect to go and win something. Back 5 today consists of:

- Striker Bowery at right back with no pace
- Centre mid Wallace at left back with no pace
- 37 year year old Perch who just fractured his skull, got torn apart by ex Stags striker vs Bradford last week.
- O'Toole at centre back who has played his whole career in midfield
- Striker Hawkins. No comments needed here!

He has a right back and left back on the bench for God's sake! He hasn't brought a single winger to the club. We don't have any pace at the club whatsoever. It's so easy to play against.

Then the only striker we are playing is gangly utility player Akins who is never going to score goals in his life! You have Swan on the bench…

What on earth is his obsession with signing players who do significantly below average job all over the pitch and playing them out of position? What is the point? We are never ever going to win anything with this team. In fact, the only players playing in the actual positions, today were the central midfielders.

Awful recruitment and awful decisions that can’t be defended or reasonably explained by anybody. Failed to sign cover in all positions and been caught out.. terribly!

All of the above is 100% factual so you Clough suck up ‘just get behind them’ brigade or you ‘we are 1pt off play offs you miserable sod’ crew.. please have a day off and say it how it is.
JDW
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Re: What is Clough thinking?

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:02 pm

It feels like he doesn’t at times, that’s the problem.

As I’ve said on another thread, if this formation is to work for any side in the world then your wing backs have to be really good players. Today we have Wallace and Bowery. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that is nowhere near good enough to warrant this formation, let alone when the worlds slowest back 3 is between them.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:16 pm

Have to say I agree…I’d been backing him, but we’re going backwards…FAST!!! Truly awful recruitment and dinosaur tactics at times. Just need another meteorite to hit to get rid of Cloughasaurus.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby gavinbrookes » Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:33 pm

Today feels like a big loss. I have reached the point where I've lost faith in Clough to get the basics right with this team. And I'm sad and sorry to say that. I haven't been convinced all season; even when we've managed to get results I've not really felt that we have dominated games and we seem almost incapable of keeping clean sheets.

I understand why Clough might be given this season (barring any serious threat of relegation, which seems unlikely), but it would be a kindness based on last season. It's clear that we need an overhaul in the squad, and that will probably have to be done by a new manager at the end of the season.
gavinbrookes
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Elkesley Stag » Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:54 pm

gavinbrookes wrote:Today feels like a big loss. I have reached the point where I've lost faith in Clough to get the basics right with this team. And I'm sad and sorry to say that. I haven't been convinced all season; even when we've managed to get results I've not really felt that we have dominated games and we seem almost incapable of keeping clean sheets.

I understand why Clough might be given this season (barring any serious threat of relegation, which seems unlikely), but it would be a kindness based on last season. It's clear that we need an overhaul in the squad, and that will probably have to be done by a new manager at the end of the season.

Disagree about an overhaul , The problem all season has been that the fittest 11 start and the bench is made up mainly of players who are not capable of completing a full game . Before kick off today we were in the play offs with a make do and mend squad. Lack of defenders and a small squad means we never start with every player in their natural position.
Elkesley Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby jonnym150281 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:04 pm

What is clough thinking? Probably akins should have been called up by southgate! Perch is 100% finished Wallace wouldn't be in my sunday team, not one gives a crap anymore.
jonnym150281
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:05 pm

jonnym150281 wrote:What is clough thinking? Probably akins should have been called up by southgate! Perch is 100% finished Wallace wouldn't be in my sunday team, not one gives a crap anymore.

Maybe the players don’t trust him. A lot of us don’t either anymore.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:06 pm

He’s signed a bunch of old men who are past it
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby gavinbrookes » Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:06 pm

Elkesley Stag wrote:
gavinbrookes wrote:Today feels like a big loss. I have reached the point where I've lost faith in Clough to get the basics right with this team. And I'm sad and sorry to say that. I haven't been convinced all season; even when we've managed to get results I've not really felt that we have dominated games and we seem almost incapable of keeping clean sheets.

Disagree about an overhaul , The problem all season has been that the fittest 11 start and the bench is made up mainly of players who are not capable of completing a full game . Before kick off today we were in the play offs with a make do and mend squad. Lack of defenders and a small squad means we never start with every player in their natural position.

We need a brand new defense, a new striker, and a better balanced midfield. Then even in positions where we have players, these are often ageing and don't have the fitness for a full campaign. Oh, plus a few loan players who we'll need to replace (Pym, Harbottle, Swan). I'd call that an overhaul.

Our league position isn't too bad, but at this stage of the season it means little. A couple of bad results and we can drop a few places, and a couple of good ones and we might get up there. The problem is that the performances have, for a while now, pointed to the former rather than the latter.
gavinbrookes
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:08 pm

Trouble is, nobody fears playing us anymore and we could drop like a stone. I just pray the return of Oates signals something going in the right direction!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:08 pm

Harrogate only win their 2nd in 15 games…let that sink in.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby DogsDoDahs » Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:09 pm

Yes it will need a massive overhaul before start of next season. Two players will retire Perch and Quinn. Otoole legs have gone needs paying off. The three loan players Pym Swan and Harbottle will be gone. DJ will not come back. Flinders is too old to be a back up or number one keeper. The squad currently is 2 players short anyway.
So that 2 keepers 2 centre backs 2 full backs 2 strikers and two midfielders before start of next season somebody needs to get busy
DogsDoDahs
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby scotsstag » Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:12 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:Harrogate only win their 2nd in 15 games…let that sink in.

And just 4 pts from a possible 18 for us ..
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:14 pm

Agree with all the above
Lost faith in Clough now
Think he is out of touch with football
The results and team will get rid of him by end of the season or maybe Xmas
Bad loss today and very little excuses possible

I take a look at Northampton now there is a team on the up who have learnt from failure last season and are on their up and where are WE !!
Bye Nige thanks for trying but Burton was probably a fluke with a decent team
I have seen not much evidence we are an aspiring league 1 outfit at all
Perch is terrible and should have retired gracefully but obviously thought money was too good
JR must be sick of trying to find a decent manager and god he has tried and provided the money
Can we have our money back today please Nigel ??
Last edited by tillydog123 on Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Stephen » Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:15 pm

JDW wrote:Get this clown out of the club due his recruitment alone. We literally have no width no wingers no pace no striker and no recognised centre back on the pitch today and we expect to go and win something. Back 5 today consists of:

- 37 year year old Perch who just fractured his skull, got torn apart by ex Stags striker vs Bradford last week.

He has a right back and left back on the bench for God's sake! He hasn't brought a single winger to the club. We don't have any pace at the club whatsoever. It's so easy to play against.

Then the only striker we are playing is gangly utility player Akins who is never going to score goals in his life! You have Swan on the bench…

What on earth is his obsession with signing players who do significantly below average job all over the pitch and playing them out of position? What is the point? We are never ever going to win anything with this team. In fact, the only players playing in the actual positions, today were the central midfielders.

Awful recruitment and awful decisions that can’t be defended or reasonably explained by anybody. Failed to sign cover in all positions and been caught out.. terribly!

All of the above is 100% factual so you Clough suck up ‘just get behind them’ brigade or you ‘we are 1pt off play offs you miserable sod’ crew.. please have a day off and say it how it is.

Agreed, Clough is the most stubborn manager we’ve ever had and thats saying something!! Players playing out of position, 1 up front constantly and that one is Akins, not sure how he gets in the side, his best position is sat in the stands! Useless!! I think Clough just need to leave now and we can get a manager in with time to assess what he needs in January, you cant trust clough, he’ll sign another midfielder and put him at left wing back
Stephen
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby St Hilary Stag » Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:22 pm

JDW wrote:Get this clown out of the club due his recruitment alone. We literally have no width no wingers no pace no striker and no recognised centre back on the pitch today and we expect to go and win something. Back 5 today consists of:

SPOT ON
Far South West's number ONE fan
'
St Hilary Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby St Hilary Stag » Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:23 pm

Clough , im afraid , is a tinkerman ( that cant get his selections right ) ... OR his signings !
Far South West's number ONE fan
'
St Hilary Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:24 pm

I think there’s a lot of stubbornness or an old school mentality on Cloughs part that is holding us back considerably.

Wembley was the biggest wake up call you could possibly have. On the biggest stage of all we were shown up in the easiest playoff final in history for having absolutely no pace in the side and it cost us. Did we address it in the summer? No. Did we learn our lesson with team selection? No.

Last season we lost key games against Carlisle, Sutton, Port Vale because Clough did not pick players that complimented each other. Midfield trio’s that couldn’t move last year…Has he learned his lesson? No. Now it’s defences that can’t move.

We all knew we needed to improve the defence. Could he see this? No. The back 5 selection first half today is as embarrassing as I have seen in years. Was never going to work as long as I’ve got a hole in my..

For some reason he seems to think that he can just plug gaps in the 11 with players that can supposedly play anywhere and think he can get away with it. It’s cost us a few times already this season, but hasn’t learned his lesson. A problem that stems from the summer and not assembling an adequate squad that leaves us running to thin on the ground.

It was also his decision to keep Perch and Quinn. Both are past it and a waste of wages now. It’s the managers job to anticipate this. They are 36/37? Hardly rocket science. The move to a back 5 has accelerated O’tooles decline as well who’s form has dropped off a cliff.

It’s up to Clough whether he wants to see the blindingly obvious or carry on down a rabbit hole that will ultimately see him out of a job and us in league 2 for another year.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Nutty Stag » Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:30 pm

He's thinking that he is letting Mr Radford, the club and supporters down and he wants to find out how to get a job in China following in Mr Evans' footsteps.
Nutty Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:18 pm

scotsstag wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:Harrogate only win their 2nd in 15 games…let that sink in.

And just 4 pts from a possible 18 for us ..

Wow now that’s even more worrying
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:30 pm

stick or twist ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby TollertonStag » Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:49 pm

I don’t care what he is thinking, he has to go!
Even an interim manager would get more out of this squad than Clough!
With the debacle of the play off final, the insistence of playing Akins and other players out of position, he has proved he has not got a clue!
Too late for this season, stop thinking he is going to turn it around, because the performances and the selections suggest otherwise.
It’s easy to spend other peoples money, but we need a ambitious manager, one who wants to play, attacking football, not the sh@te that is currently being served up!
TollertonStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Johnny H » Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:49 pm

Unfortunately....who else is available ?
Would the ex FGR manager (Rob Edwards) drop back down....would he be interested or affordable ??
Can JR afford to pay NC off and then pay compensation for a manger.....would an experienced manager at another club be interested ?

Personally...I dont think JR will sack Nigel, ...not yet anyway, possibly at end of season !
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby HU7stag » Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:53 pm

Johnny H wrote:Unfortunately....who else is available ?
Would the ex FGR manager (Rob Edwards) drop back down....would he be interested or affordable ??
Can JR afford to pay NC off and then pay compensation for a manger.....would an experienced manager at another club be interested ?

Personally...I dont think JR will sack Nigel, ...not yet anyway, possibly at end of season !

No chance, just took the Luton job.
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby SeanieStag » Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:54 pm

I want him to do well but he's just not helping himself. Too small a squad, square pegs in round holes and failure to address the weaknesses of last season. We're going backwards and I've lost faith that he is even willing, never mind able, to put things right. The best example I can think of is Arsene Wenger at Arsenal. For years that team lacked a spine and he did nothing to address it. I can only think it's stubbornness. They believe they have found a method that works and refuse to adapt, even when the results fall off. Take us to the end of the season and then it's time for a major overhaul. The new manager will need a keeper, 3/4 defenders and 1/2 strikers. It's a massive job. It'll probably take a season for the team to settle in but then we go again.
SeanieStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum