{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

What is Clough thinking?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: What is Clough thinking?

Postby victor A block » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:43 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
victor A block wrote:David Sharpe doesn't escape criticism here. Our recruitment has been horrendously unbalanced. Clough's 18 man squad approach should have been challenged from day 1. Every single club gets injuries every month and his just hasn't been factored in.

Why should Sharpe be criticised? He’s not part of the identifying signings.

When he was part of it, we signed some good players (Maris, Lapslie, McLaughlin, Clarke, O’Keefe)

Exactly so he is part of it. Remember all the plaudits at the time getting Longstaff in. (just the wrong one)

I'm sure he is the go to man for Clough on discussing these things. Its not his job to identify but surely he looks at the squad as a whole and has an opinion.
Therefore he takes some of the criticism for a tiny, unbalanced ageing squad too.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:13 am

victor A block wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
victor A block wrote:David Sharpe doesn't escape criticism here. Our recruitment has been horrendously unbalanced. Clough's 18 man squad approach should have been challenged from day 1. Every single club gets injuries every month and his just hasn't been factored in.

When he was part of it, we signed some good players (Maris, Lapslie, McLaughlin, Clarke, O’Keefe)

Exactly so he is part of it. Remember all the plaudits at the time getting Longstaff in. (just the wrong one)

I'm sure he is the go to man for Clough on discussing these things. Its not his job to identify but surely he looks at the squad as a whole and has an opinion.
Therefore he takes some of the criticism for a tiny, unbalanced ageing squad too.

Of course Sharpe is part of it, he is the CEO, we are told he's a "football man" he will have an opinion.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:37 am

oldweststander wrote:
victor A block wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Of course Sharpe is part of it, he is the CEO, we are told he's a "football man" he will have an opinion.

He makes the calls and takes care of the numbers side of things, he’s not in charge of scouting or identifying players. He’s a CEO, not a director of football/scout/head of recruitment. He took over Carolyn’s role.

I’m sure he does have an opinion, and from what we know it’s data driven. But he does not identify/scout the players we sign.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby nickrobo60 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:15 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
oldweststander wrote:
victor A block wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

He makes the calls and takes care of the numbers side of things, he’s not in charge of scouting or identifying players. He’s a CEO, not a director of football/scout/head of recruitment. He took over Carolyn’s role.

I’m sure he does have an opinion, and from what we know it’s data driven. But he does not identify/scout the players we sign.

How do we know a converstion between Sharpe & Clough along the lines of "Nige you can't go any more over the budget, you'll have to stick with the 18 players you've got" Or "Sharpie can we sign this player? Sorry Nige he's out of our budget"
Never happened.

Times are hard, a CEO has to balance the books, along with fans expectations and happiness. So unless you're privileged to conversations, none of us have Witnesses, I would hedge a bet someones hands are tied, wether that be the Manager or the CEO.
nickrobo60
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:23 pm

has the question over the budget ever been asked of either CEO or the manager this season ?

would certainly answer a few questions
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagone1959 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:30 pm

Think the word competitive was mentioned,this could mean absolutely anything.
stagone1959
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby oldweststander » Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:50 pm

Obviously, budgets will come in to it but there should be cash incoming from selling Johnson to Walsall or someone else.

As for spending the budget so far, Nigel has not been shown as doing a good job.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:58 pm

oldweststander wrote:Obviously, budgets will come in to it but there should be cash incoming from selling Johnson to Walsall or someone else.

As for spending the budget so far, Nigel has not been shown as doing a good job.

I think he's signed some good players.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:59 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
oldweststander wrote:Obviously, budgets will come in to it but there should be cash incoming from selling Johnson to Walsall or someone else.

Players will divide opinion but 2.5 years for Akins and O'Toole in hindsight looks a poor decision.
Akins has never impressed but I don't really get the decline in JJ from last season.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:01 pm

JDW wrote:
yorkstag wrote:This is a massive over reaction from the usual suspects and those that only come out to play when things are going wrong. I don’t disagree with many of the comments but to sack NC would be madness and costly.
Clarke signed a 5 year deal in the summer so that won’t happen.
Just chill and all will be fine in the end

Overreaction? I get wanting to get behind the team and manager, honestly I get it.

Now is not one of those times and if you can’t recognise he is losing the absolute plot and has been since play off final, you’re beyond help.

That game was the biggest warning sign that you can’t win anything without width or pace. Vale had both and absolutely pumped us. Also a warning that you need to play players in their positions with Hawkins getting sent off. Didn’t learn from it, in fact his stubborn mindset took him the other way and now every week we are playing a bunch of misfits. Didn’t have a single defender on the pitch at Harrogate.

Recruitment has been a massive issue. Even more puzzling letting DJ, knowing Oates has had injury issues throughout his time her, go out on loan leaving us with no strikers whatsoever as he’s intent on playing Bowery at RB and Hawkins at CB. We have to work for every single goal, got nobody with pace to run behind or carry us up the pitch. Any team that sits in has a cigar on watching us pass side to side.

Wake up. Clough brought stability and he won’t bring much more.

I’m beyond help? -)
Look at the league table. Saturday wasn’t good but that’s not the season.

Get a grip man … you’ve lost the plot
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:08 pm

StagInHucknall wrote:How come Clough never gives the kids a chance?
Isn’t the whole point of an academy that you utilise the talent coming through rather than playing lots of older players in unnatural positions.

Who exactly. Which kids would you give a chance to?
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:10 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
JDW wrote:
yorkstag wrote:This is a massive over reaction from the usual suspects and those that only come out to play when things are going wrong. I don’t disagree with many of the comments but to sack NC would be madness and costly.
Clarke signed a 5 year deal in the summer so that won’t happen.
Just chill and all will be fine in the end

Overreaction? I get wanting to get behind the team and manager, honestly I get it.

Now is not one of those times and if you can’t recognise he is losing the absolute plot and has been since play off final, you’re beyond help.

That game was the biggest warning sign that you can’t win anything without width or pace. Vale had both and absolutely pumped us. Also a warning that you need to play players in their positions with Hawkins getting sent off. Didn’t learn from it, in fact his stubborn mindset took him the other way and now every week we are playing a bunch of misfits. Didn’t have a single defender on the pitch at Harrogate.

Recruitment has been a massive issue. Even more puzzling letting DJ, knowing Oates has had injury issues throughout his time her, go out on loan leaving us with no strikers whatsoever as he’s intent on playing Bowery at RB and Hawkins at CB. We have to work for every single goal, got nobody with pace to run behind or carry us up the pitch. Any team that sits in has a cigar on watching us pass side to side.

Wake up. Clough brought stability and he won’t bring much more.

Yyeeeeeaahh, it'll be fiiiiiiine. Just fine.

It will.
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:14 pm

yorkstag wrote:
Isn’t the whole point of an academy that you utilise the talent coming through rather than playing lots of older players in unnatural positions.

Ooh I don't know , maybe the one he's just given the new contract to ?
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:16 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:By what yardstick will it be fine. As in just another horseshit season in L2.

There's nothing about us that's good at the moment.

If he's here in Jan, which I fully expect he will be, he has to get some.under 25s in, maybe 3 or 4 in key positions, I'd say CD, CF and winger /wingback

Paragraph 1 horseshit

Paragraph 2 horseshit

Paragraph 3 - some merit.

You can do it when you try- a constructive comment without whining and moaning.
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:17 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:
yorkstag wrote:

Ooh I don't know , maybe the one he's just given the new contract to ?

-))). Names ?
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:20 pm

victor A block wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Players will divide opinion but 2.5 years for Akins and O'Toole in hindsight looks a poor decision.
Akins has never impressed but I don't really get the decline in JJ from last season.

Add Gordon to that list? And 2 years for Bowery? But let’s not forget we were all euphoric when O’Toole signed
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:45 pm

How do we know a converstion between Sharpe & Clough along the lines of "Nige you can't go any more over the budget, you'll have to stick with the 18 players you've got" Or "Sharpie can we sign this player? Sorry Nige he's out of our budget"
Never happened.

Times are hard, a CEO has to balance the books, along with fans expectations and happiness. So unless you're privileged to conversations, none of us have Witnesses, I would hedge a bet someones hands are tied, wether that be the Manager or the CEO.[/quote][/quote]
I agree also maybe the club aren’t ready financially to go up to league one just yet ?
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:06 pm

Amberheart wrote:How do we know a converstion between Sharpe & Clough along the lines of "Nige you can't go any more over the budget, you'll have to stick with the 18 players you've got" Or "Sharpie can we sign this player? Sorry Nige he's out of our budget"
Never happened.

Times are hard, a CEO has to balance the books, along with fans expectations and happiness. So unless you're privileged to conversations, none of us have Witnesses, I would hedge a bet someones hands are tied, wether that be the Manager or the CEO.
[/quote]
I agree also maybe the club aren’t ready financially to go up to league one just yet ?[/quote]

Do you really think JR would pay big bucks on Clough, his assistants and Sharpe, himself to stay in League 2? Of course he wouldn't, there is plenty of money in the transfer kitty, of that I have absolutely no doubt. The small squad is Cloughs choice and his alone.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Suttonian » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:08 pm

Amberheart wrote:How do we know a converstion between Sharpe & Clough along the lines of "Nige you can't go any more over the budget, you'll have to stick with the 18 players you've got" Or "Sharpie can we sign this player? Sorry Nige he's out of our budget"
Never happened.

[/quote]
I agree also maybe the club aren’t ready financially to go up to league one just yet ?[/quote]

With an owner who in the past has shown he is prepared to back the manager, attendances rising and a record amount of season ticket holders we ought to have a competitive budget for league two
Suttonian
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby stagone1959 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:43 pm

Competitive reads to me as mid table,the more I see us the more sure I am that this will be the likely outcome.
stagone1959
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:47 pm

Clough said budget was good at the start of the season. It will be top seven minimum.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:20 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Clough said budget was good at the start of the season. It will be top seven minimum.

They all said our aim was promotion, you don't do that without a good budget. We do have some players who will be on very good money, but if Clough wanted 3 suitable quality players in Jan, he'd get them, I'd stake my cats front right leg on it.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:50 am

Rob wrote:
Never happened.

Do you really think JR would pay big bucks on Clough, his assistants and Sharpe, himself to stay in League 2? Of course he wouldn't, there is plenty of money in the transfer kitty, of that I have absolutely no doubt. The small squad is Cloughs choice and his alone.[/quote]

Every single player we sign or were going to sign, Sharpe has to go to JR and ask if it's ok. Including the lad from Charlton who JR sanctioned decent wages for.

We had bids in that we couldn't/wouldn't improve on.

This bottomless pit of a budget you mention regularly simply isn't there.

I agree squad size is purely Nigel's choice.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:15 am

broomo wrote:
Rob wrote:
Never happened.

I agree also maybe the club aren’t ready financially to go up to league one just yet ?

Do you really think JR would pay big bucks on Clough, his assistants and Sharpe, himself to stay in League 2? Of course he wouldn't, there is plenty of money in the transfer kitty, of that I have absolutely no doubt. The small squad is Cloughs choice and his alone.[/quote]

Every single player we sign or were going to sign, Sharpe has to go to JR and ask if it's ok. Including the lad from Charlton who JR sanctioned decent wages for.

We had bids in that we couldn't/wouldn't improve on.

This bottomless pit of a budget you mention regularly simply isn't there.

I agree squad size is purely Nigel's choice.[/quote]

I have never said our budget was bottomless, but if you feel misquoting is what you have to do to prop up your argument then thats your choice. Clough has, to the best of my knowledge, never had a player he wanted refused by JR. Obviously this is within reason, we won't be signing KDB in January! It's something you and bear trot out regularly and is quite insulting to JR, he has poured millions into our club and continues to give Clough highly competitive resources, certainly top 7, probably top 3. Our current predicament, small squad, ageing, players playing out of position, lack of centre backs etc, has NOTHING to do with JR, I'd imagine he's not hugely impressed at the moment.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sharp » Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:37 am

In terms of squad size which people constantly quote as an issue, what are we actually expecting? Including Gale and Law I've got the squad at 22 folk. How many do we need/ expect as a L2 club.

I would agree entirely that the squad is unbalanced, we don't have enough CB's and the 3-5-2 formation only exacerbates those problems as does the sudden downturn in form of some of our ageing players. But the size of the squad itself is exactly what I'd expect, and I would also hope that the squad and the overall numbers would include some of our younger players, which I'd hope at some stage we take a risk on.
Sharp
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum