{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

What is Clough thinking?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: What is Clough thinking?

Postby stag324 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:08 pm

Sharp wrote:In terms of squad size which people constantly quote as an issue, what are we actually expecting? Including Gale and Law I've got the squad at 22 folk. How many do we need/ expect as a L2 club.

I would agree entirely that the squad is unbalanced, we don't have enough CB's and the 3-5-2 formation only exacerbates those problems as does the sudden downturn in form of some of our ageing players. But the size of the squad itself is exactly what I'd expect, and I would also hope that the squad and the overall numbers would include some of our younger players, which I'd hope at some stage we take a risk on.

And this has been the major issue for me this season. Clough's stubbornness to stick with this formation for the majority of the season so far when we clearly don't have the players to play it.
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby broomo » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:23 pm

Rob wrote:
broomo wrote:
Rob wrote:
Amberheart wrote:How do we know a converstion between Sharpe & Clough along the lines of "Nige you can't go any more over the budget, you'll have to stick with the 18 players you've got" Or "Sharpie can we sign this player? Sorry Nige he's out of our budget"
Never happened.

Times are hard, a CEO has to balance the books, along with fans expectations and happiness. So unless you're privileged to conversations, none of us have Witnesses, I would hedge a bet someones hands are tied, wether that be the Manager or the CEO.

I agree also maybe the club aren’t ready financially to go up to league one just yet ?

Do you really think JR would pay big bucks on Clough, his assistants and Sharpe, himself to stay in League 2? Of course he wouldn't, there is plenty of money in the transfer kitty, of that I have absolutely no doubt. The small squad is Cloughs choice and his alone.

Every single player we sign or were going to sign, Sharpe has to go to JR and ask if it's ok. Including the lad from Charlton who JR sanctioned decent wages for.

We had bids in that we couldn't/wouldn't improve on.

This bottomless pit of a budget you mention regularly simply isn't there.

I agree squad size is purely Nigel's choice.[/quote]

I have never said our budget was bottomless, but if you feel misquoting is what you have to do to prop up your argument then thats your choice. Clough has, to the best of my knowledge, never had a player he wanted refused by JR. Obviously this is within reason, we won't be signing KDB in January! It's something you and bear trot out regularly and is quite insulting to JR, he has poured millions into our club and continues to give Clough highly competitive resources, certainly top 7, probably top 3. Our current predicament, small squad, ageing, players playing out of position, lack of centre backs etc, has NOTHING to do with JR, I'd imagine he's not hugely impressed at the moment.[/quote]

I don't need to prop up my argument 'cos it's not an argument, it's a comment.

If he wants 3 players in January a couple would need to go out.

It seems every time I mention something along those lines you insinuate I'm having a go at John Radford when nothing could be further from the truth. He's been a brilliant owner and I said that when Nigel was close to taking the job one of his main reasons was the backing of JR.

I know someone who used to work for him, got the sack and STILL said he was an incredible owner.

I'm certain our budget will be top 7 and very healthy.

I won't comment on the rest of it as you clearly think we've got a poor squad. I don't.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:34 pm

broomo wrote:
I won't comment on the rest of it as you clearly think we've got a poor squad. I don't.

Would you agree we don't have any quality centre-backs though?
When I say centre-backs I don't mean a striker trying to play there.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:13 pm

zod wrote:
broomo wrote:

Is Harbottle raspberries all of a sudden?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:14 pm

broomo wrote:
Rob wrote:
broomo wrote:
Rob wrote:
Amberheart wrote:How do we know a converstion between Sharpe & Clough along the lines of "Nige you can't go any more over the budget, you'll have to stick with the 18 players you've got" Or "Sharpie can we sign this player? Sorry Nige he's out of our budget"
Never happened.

Times are hard, a CEO has to balance the books, along with fans expectations and happiness. So unless you're privileged to conversations, none of us have Witnesses, I would hedge a bet someones hands are tied, wether that be the Manager or the CEO.

I agree also maybe the club aren’t ready financially to go up to league one just yet ?

Do you really think JR would pay big bucks on Clough, his assistants and Sharpe, himself to stay in League 2? Of course he wouldn't, there is plenty of money in the transfer kitty, of that I have absolutely no doubt. The small squad is Cloughs choice and his alone.

Every single player we sign or were going to sign, Sharpe has to go to JR and ask if it's ok. Including the lad from Charlton who JR sanctioned decent wages for.

I agree squad size is purely Nigel's choice.

I have never said our budget was bottomless, but if you feel misquoting is what you have to do to prop up your argument then thats your choice. Clough has, to the best of my knowledge, never had a player he wanted refused by JR. Obviously this is within reason, we won't be signing KDB in January! It's something you and bear trot out regularly and is quite insulting to JR, he has poured millions into our club and continues to give Clough highly competitive resources, certainly top 7, probably top 3. Our current predicament, small squad, ageing, players playing out of position, lack of centre backs etc, has NOTHING to do with JR, I'd imagine he's not hugely impressed at the moment.[/quote]

It seems every time I mention something along those lines you insinuate I'm having a go at John Radford when nothing could be further from the truth. He's been a brilliant owner and I said that when Nigel was close to taking the job one of his main reasons was the backing of JR.

I know someone who used to work for him, got the sack and STILL said he was an incredible owner.

I won't comment on the rest of it as you clearly think we've got a poor squad. I don't.[/quote]

Three players would only need to go out because Clough wants that size squad. It’s nothing to do with budgets or availability of players.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:26 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
zod wrote:
broomo wrote:

More inconsistent and not ready for a full League 2 season.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:35 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
broomo wrote:
Rob wrote:
broomo wrote:
Rob wrote:

I have never said our budget was bottomless, but if you feel misquoting is what you have to do to prop up your argument then thats your choice. Clough has, to the best of my knowledge, never had a player he wanted refused by JR. Obviously this is within reason, we won't be signing KDB in January! It's something you and bear trot out regularly and is quite insulting to JR, he has poured millions into our club and continues to give Clough highly competitive resources, certainly top 7, probably top 3. Our current predicament, small squad, ageing, players playing out of position, lack of centre backs etc, has NOTHING to do with JR, I'd imagine he's not hugely impressed at the moment.

I won't comment on the rest of it as you clearly think we've got a poor squad. I don't.[/quote]

Three players would only need to go out because Clough wants that size squad. It’s nothing to do with budgets or availability of players.[/quote]

I didn't say 3 and yes it is.

The Charlton lad who was coming on loan. It was EITHER him or 2 cheaper salaries.

There is a budget in place.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:43 pm

zod wrote:
broomo wrote:

I think the back 3 of Hewitt, Hawkins and Harbottle is strong enough.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:53 pm

Sharp wrote:In terms of squad size which people constantly quote as an issue, what are we actually expecting? Including Gale and Law I've got the squad at 22 folk. How many do we need/ expect as a L2 club.

I would agree entirely that the squad is unbalanced, we don't have enough CB's and the 3-5-2 formation only exacerbates those problems as does the sudden downturn in form of some of our ageing players. But the size of the squad itself is exactly what I'd expect, and I would also hope that the squad and the overall numbers would include some of our younger players, which I'd hope at some stage we take a risk on.

It is 23, now we have signed Page
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:03 pm

broomo wrote:

Three players would only need to go out because Clough wants that size squad. It’s nothing to do with budgets or availability of players.[/quote]

The Charlton lad who was coming on loan. It was EITHER him or 2 cheaper salaries.

There is a budget in place.[/quote]

So not only do you know what the budget is but also know that Clough has spent it.

Is it cat? Is it dog? No it’s bull.

Of course there’s a budget in place. Every club on earth has a budget and no one has argued we don’t have a proper budget.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:44 pm

victor A block wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
zod wrote:
broomo wrote:

More inconsistent and not ready for a full League 2 season.

I mean inconsistency is part of most players game at this level. The consistently good players don't stay in L2 for very long... Harbottle is young and is already playing at a decent level. I don't think he looks out of his depth
and looks a good player.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:47 pm

broomo wrote:
zod wrote:
broomo wrote:

Hawkins isn't a natural centre-back though and not quick enough in my opinion.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:03 pm

zod wrote:
broomo wrote:
zod wrote:
broomo wrote:

And he's our 3rd best centre back. Let that sink in.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:14 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
zod wrote:
broomo wrote:
zod wrote:
broomo wrote:

3rd best but plays there nearly every game.
Do you not think he's a bigger asset playing as a forward?
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:19 pm

You'd all be whinging about hoof ball anyway if we put Hawkins up front :lol: ;)
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:47 pm

broomo wrote:
Rob wrote:
broomo wrote:
Rob wrote:
Never happened.

Our squad composition is poor, not the squad itself which whilst clearly ageing, does have quality in goal, in midfield and Oates. As usual you are being deliberately obtuse, it's why I try not to engage with you, like many, many others.

If he signs 3 in January, 2 probably will go out to get game time, NOT because he is told to by JR.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:16 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
broomo wrote:

There is a budget in place.[/quote]

So not only do you know what the budget is but also know that Clough has spent it.

Is it cat? Is it dog? No it’s bull.

Of course there’s a budget in place. Every club on earth has a budget and no one has argued we don’t have a proper budget.[/quote]

Is there really any need for that.

I had you down as someone with a bit of class even though we (sometimes) disagree.

It was said on the deadline day video the club put out and he clearly hasn't spent it as the lad didn't sign and we'd committed pretty hefty wages for him.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:26 pm

Rob wrote:
broomo wrote:
Rob wrote:
broomo wrote:
Rob wrote:

I have never said our budget was bottomless, but if you feel misquoting is what you have to do to prop up your argument then thats your choice. Clough has, to the best of my knowledge, never had a player he wanted refused by JR. Obviously this is within reason, we won't be signing KDB in January! It's something you and bear trot out regularly and is quite insulting to JR, he has poured millions into our club and continues to give Clough highly competitive resources, certainly top 7, probably top 3. Our current predicament, small squad, ageing, players playing out of position, lack of centre backs etc, has NOTHING to do with JR, I'd imagine he's not hugely impressed at the moment.

Our squad composition is poor, not the squad itself which whilst clearly ageing, does have quality in goal, in midfield and Oates. As usual you are being deliberately obtuse, it's why I try not to engage with you, like many, many others.

If he signs 3 in January, 2 probably will go out to get game time, NOT because he is told to by JR.[/quote]

Obtuse?

I could say black is black and you'd argue it's grey.

Don't engage, it's no skin off my nose. For every poster who doesn't like what I post there's one who does. It's them I'm here to engage with.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:34 pm

zod wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:

Well yeah, 3rd best so starts in a back 3. When we go to a back 4 our best centre back moves to right back because he's the best right back too, so Hawkins becomes our 2nd best centre back. That's my opinion, of course.

Yeah I do think he can be a big asset up front. However right now I feel we need him at the back for his height.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:54 am

gazza1988 wrote:
zod wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:

Well yeah, 3rd best so starts in a back 3. When we go to a back 4 our best centre back moves to right back because he's the best right back too, so Hawkins becomes our 2nd best centre back. That's my opinion, of course.

Yeah I do think he can be a big asset up front. However right now I feel we need him at the back for his height.

I was thinking more the three goals we conceded Saturday, none of which were from an aerial threat.
That's where we are lacking. Hawkins was at fault for the second and third goal.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:08 am

Do you really think JR would pay big bucks on Clough, his assistants and Sharpe, himself to stay in League 2? Of course he wouldn't, there is plenty of money in the transfer kitty, of that I have absolutely no doubt. The small squad is Cloughs choice and his alone.[/quote]

If he signs 3 in January, 2 probably will go out to get game time, NOT because he is told to by JR.[/quote]

Obtuse?

Don't engage, it's no skin off my nose. For every poster who doesn't like what I post there's one who does. It's them I'm here to engage with.[/quote]

Can you sort the quotes out on the replies please chaps? impossible to know who is saying what
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:22 am

PEAR CIDER wrote:Do you really think JR would pay big bucks on Clough, his assistants and Sharpe, himself to stay in League 2? Of course he wouldn't, there is plenty of money in the transfer kitty, of that I have absolutely no doubt. The small squad is Cloughs choice and his alone.

Obtuse?

Don't engage, it's no skin off my nose. For every poster who doesn't like what I post there's one who does. It's them I'm here to engage with.[/quote]

Can you sort the quotes out on the replies please chaps? impossible to know who is saying what[/quote]

It's basically Rob and Broomo falling out...
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby St Hilary Stag » Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:27 pm

The manager has wasted large amount of budget on oap's ... yes i know experience is needed in the side but quick mobile ones !
Far South West's number ONE fan
'
St Hilary Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:53 pm

Eastern Green Stag wrote:The manager has wasted large amount of budget on oap's ... yes i know experience is needed in the side but quick mobile ones !

Not asking for much then :D tis league two after all!
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby St Hilary Stag » Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:14 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Eastern Green Stag wrote:The manager has wasted large amount of budget on oap's ... yes i know experience is needed in the side but quick mobile ones !

Not asking for much then :D tis league two after all!

Other teams in League 2 have them
Far South West's number ONE fan
'
St Hilary Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum