{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Harrogate score Fred sponsored by Betty’s tea rooms

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Harrogate score Fred sponsored by Betty’s tea rooms

Postby AJStag » Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:39 pm

Sound and accurate appraisal of today"a game from Nigel. We're disappointed of course but too many posters OTT as always. Hewitt, Harbottle and McClaughlin missing defensively
plus Lapslie and Oates offensively. We have won 5 of the last seven away games so perhaps we're not as awful as this thread would have us believe ! On to Hillsborough !
AJStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby geoffhill » Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:45 pm

Maris is not a striker.Bowery too lazy.Clough picked the wrong team too many aging defenders,O'toole is a shadow of the player from last season.Only good thing today as the appearance of Oates.Last time I was at Hillsborough we lost 4-0. can see a repeat scoreline next week.Still you never know.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby Arnolds Rod » Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:49 pm

adamstag wrote:
Waggy wrote:So the takeaway message Nigel is that we are good in midfield, but can't defend or score

...uuummm! Nobody ever predicted that!

And who is to blame for that.

Nigel, nigel and nigel.

3 transfer windows, and here we are, don’t want him gone but it’s madness we’re here in this situation

It’s called transfer negligence.

Perhaps a few questions of Simon Clough need to be asked. Still, we will save money on petrol next year as Burton will be in League 2 so scouting for future players will be easier for the management team.
Arnolds Rod
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:53 pm

wayno cordiniho wrote:I’m not sure what Wallace is playing today but it’s not football and it’s not LWB… Bowery is totally ineffective as a RWB

We thought that Kieran Wallace had a good 1st half and was unlucky to be subbed. It was probably because he was on a yellow card. He made some good interceptions and was fairly neat and tidy. He's not as good as Stephen McLaughlin going forward but few League 2 players are. The left side of our defence was a lot better than the right as Jordan Bowery and John Joe O'Toole had poor games.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:56 pm

whatever has happened to the JJ of last season ?

he needs to shave his head for starters
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:07 pm

london amber stag wrote:Worst half of the season so far.

It was the worst half of defending this season so far but from an attacking perspective it was better than Salford (Away), Tranmere (Home), Sutton United (Away), Carlisle (Home), Newport County (Home) and Bradford City (Home). As Gazza pointed out we had 56% possession, 8 shots, 2 on target which produced 2 great saves and 4 corners.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby stag_27 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:22 pm

Rob wrote:
broomo wrote:
Rob wrote:
broomo wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Question for Broomo

Do you still think these so called centre halves are good enough?

You gave me ridicule since August when I predicted this type of play would rip our defence to pieces and yet here we are with yet another example of it happening. These three are Clough’s preferred options at centre back and you insisted they would be fine whilst taunting that Clough was a far better judge than the few of us who could see what was coming.

Are you big enough to admit that this squad is simply not good or big enough or are you going to try and defend this shambles?

I didn't ridicule you at all. I disagreed with you. Talk about hyperbole.

The defense was awful today. All of them, but especially O'Toole and Bowery had a stinking first half.

None of them were good enough individually and collectively we were a shambles.

Maris and Hartigan both poor. Akins woeful. Boateng wasn't as bad as the rest but even he wasn't great.

Hewitt was probably the pick of the subs and Swan did o.k, Paige steady but not great. Good to see Oates back.

In amidst the stinker Hawkins, Quinn, Swan and Akins could and probably should have scored but it would have papered over a calamitous first half defensively.

Something has to change. If folk want that to be the manager it's stupid for me to argue against that.

I hope that's "big" enough for you.

It's all the players fault, so predictable, so utterly discredited. One day you'll wake up and realise how much garbage you spouted about this squad.

Hang about?

fgs even when I'm critical it's not critical enough?

This place and certain posters on it at times are ridiculous.

EVERYTHING about today was poor. Selection, starting 11, formation and performance.

I don't know why the 11 who started, started but I do know a lot of the criticism of today is warranted.

It's flipping ridiculous how much some of you care about me not wanting to throw ANYONE under the bus.

Do you honestly disagree with Bowery and O'Toole having a stinking 45 minutes or is it just because I posted it?

You repeatedly said our squad was fine, that we had cover for every position and ridiculed those of us who had been saying all summer the squad was too small, that we had no cover in key areas and that we desperately needed new centre backs. You were wrong then as you are wrong now, it is 100% the fault of Clough and his assistants that we put out that team today. That was a bottom 2 performance and was an embarrassment to our club. I'm patient with managers but its running out with Clough, the same mistakes over and over again are being made.

Surely the board is about opinions? As far as I can see, Broomo has been expressing his - he may be proved right, he may be proved wrong, but he’s entitled to it. Many last year were criticising hewitt as worst defender they’d seen, saying Oates was no better than National league, were begging Clough to do whatever was necessary to sign JJOT. Same people now castigate for not playing Hewitt, love Oates are questioning why JJOT is still at the club.

Clough has got it badly wrong in recent weeks, for sure. It is intensely frustrating without doubt, but ganging up on someone because they dared to air an opinion is poor.

I don’t get the enmity - this is getting like bullying IMO.
stag_27
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Tawnystag » Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:26 pm

Not a disaster, we are still in touching distance. The team played well we just didn’t take our chances + awful defending, O’Toole looked WAY off it today.

Oates was brilliant when he came on, menacing as always.

I predict an upset in Sheffield.
Tawnystag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Johnny H » Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:32 pm

Maris was decent today again I thought, so was Boateng in parts.

Maris needs to play in front of the defence though....Hartigan is poor and if Clarke is not fit Jason Law has to be given a start.
Was Law injured today or did Nigel drop him for his half fit favourites on the bench ?
Why has James Gale not been given a start as a striker....he cant be any worse than Akins.
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:11 pm

I thought George Maris and Hiram Boateng were our best players in the 1st half today along with Kieran Wallace and Stephen Quinn but were not as good in the 2nd half.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:14 pm

Two of the three goals were down our right today and the other was down the centre. Harrogate had four shots on goal in the 1st half and scored three goals. I thought John Joe O'Toole and Anthony Hartigan were at fault for the first goal, Lucas Akins and Oli Hawkins were to blame for the second and John Joe O'Toole, Jordan Bowery, Oli Hawkins and James Perch were at fault for the third.

I think the first goal may have been prevented if Elliott Hewitt was in defence because his pace may have meant he would have stopped the counter attack. George Maris was also struggling to get back because he was hobbling due to a very nasty foul by that little raspberry Josh Falkingham.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:20 pm

Luke Armstrong always seems to play well against us, cut our pish poor defence to ribbons this afternoon
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby AshoverStag » Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:30 pm

It's all the players fault, so predictable, so utterly discredited. One day you'll wake up and realise how much garbage you spouted about this squad.[/quote]

Hang about?

fgs even when I'm critical it's not critical enough?

This place and certain posters on it at times are ridiculous.

EVERYTHING about today was poor. Selection, starting 11, formation and performance.

I don't know why the 11 who started, started but I do know a lot of the criticism of today is warranted.

It's flipping ridiculous how much some of you care about me not wanting to throw ANYONE under the bus.

Do you honestly disagree with Bowery and O'Toole having a stinking 45 minutes or is it just because I posted it?[/quote]

You repeatedly said our squad was fine, that we had cover for every position and ridiculed those of us who had been saying all summer the squad was too small, that we had no cover in key areas and that we desperately needed new centre backs. You were wrong then as you are wrong now, it is 100% the fault of Clough and his assistants that we put out that team today. That was a bottom 2 performance and was an embarrassment to our club. I'm patient with managers but its running out with Clough, the same mistakes over and over again are being made.[/quote]

Surely the board is about opinions? As far as I can see, Broomo has been expressing his - he may be proved right, he may be proved wrong, but he’s entitled to it. Many last year were criticising hewitt as worst defender they’d seen, saying Oates was no better than National league, were begging Clough to do whatever was necessary to sign JJOT. Same people now castigate for not playing Hewitt, love Oates are questioning why JJOT is still at the club.

Clough has got it badly wrong in recent weeks, for sure. It is intensely frustrating without doubt, but ganging up on someone because they dared to air an opinion is poor.

I don’t get the enmity - this is getting like bullying IMO.[/quote]

Good post. I value Broomo opinions and people should leave the guy alone, not jump on every post. It’s sad imo

Broomo knows more about football than me I’m guessing. Saying that probably a lot do on the forum :lol:

I was at the game today. I’ve missed only Grimsby (Pizza Cup) so far this season

TTF good posts again good buddy

Hewitt excellent as he makes runs direct with pace from the back like Macca

Boateng ok for me today

I think Wallace is doing ok at LWB and is settling in He payed well I thought. Only down side i# he’s more reliable defensively that at creating going forward.

Shame no Harbottle and he’s injured. He’s been superb this season, and when messed up! I blame the fact he’s been played on left side
I think we do need to sign a left footed pacey reliable CH in Jan. I think Harbottle would be grea5 at right side. Asking him to play his first season in EFL on the wrong side was asking too much
Last edited by AshoverStag on Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
When you think you know the answers, I change the questions
AshoverStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby 1970Stag » Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:32 pm

Maybe he should sub Akins and try Bowery up top with Swan, and he might get back to doing what he was so good at in the past? How Akins stayed on for the full 94 minutes today is beyond me, and no doubt he will start again in the cup.
Which stand were you in Yorky, as I was hiding in the Black Sheep stand, but I never have much to get excited about when I'm there, so it's easy to pretend to be a home supporter ;)
1970Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:36 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:Luke Armstrong always seems to play well against us, cut our pish poor defence to ribbons this afternoon

Luke Armstrong had only scored 2 league goals this season and he doubled his total today against the Stags. He has scored 14 league goals in two seasons for Harrogate with 3 goals against the Stags.

I would not say he cut our poor defence to ribbons. He was given a free run at goal for the second goal after Lucas Akins lost the ball and Oli Hawkins dived in; and then James Perch was caught ball watching for the third goal as he left Luke Armstong run completely unmarked to the near post.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:38 pm

My pics from a cold, wet and very miserable afternoon in West Yorkshire: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?van ... 9769554104
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:43 pm

Dan wrote:My pics from a cold, wet and very miserable afternoon in West Yorkshire: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?van ... 9769554104

North Yorkshire :D
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:58 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:Luke Armstrong always seems to play well against us, cut our pish poor defence to ribbons this afternoon

Luke Armstrong had only scored 2 league goals this season and he doubled his total today against the Stags. He has scored 14 league goals in two seasons for Harrogate with 3 goals against the Stags.

I would not say he cut our poor defence to ribbons. He was given a free run at goal for the second goal after Lucas Akins lost the ball and Oli Hawkins dived in; and then James Perch was caught ball watching for the third goal as he left Luke Armstong run completely unmarked to the near post.

i thought he did, won everything & did what strikers are paid to do
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:06 pm

Can't understand why nobody is talking about their first goal being offside.

I was right in line and the guy who scored was yards offside.

Things like that turn games, just like the second equaliser against Swindon when the ball went out of play.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby AshoverStag » Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:11 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:

i thought he did, won everything & did what strikers are paid to do

You have been proven right Yorkshire Stag

We need a CB

O’toole - Got to be used as a sub only surely

Perch - At his best was not a CH and he’s slow

Hawkins - Needs to go back up front - used strategically. Protecting him in a CH back. 3 ain’t worked. He’s done his best but I bet if he was asked off the record and it didn’t go anywhere he’d say he is a Forward

Hewitt is superb at RB or RWB, He can play right side CH of a back 2 CH combo but even for him, left side CH is not natural

Hardbottle - Given such a tough task, if Hewitt struggles there and he’s a seasoned Pro, then come on, not fair on Harbottle

Clarke looked quite good but we need him winning the ball/crunching tackles in midfield

I think the defence situation has finally caught up with us

January couldn’t come quick enough for me

FGS - let’s sign a left sided CB with pace
When you think you know the answers, I change the questions
AshoverStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:43 pm

part time pete wrote:Can't understand why nobody is talking about their first goal being offside.

I was right in line and the guy who scored was yards offside.

Things like that turn games, just like the second equaliser against Swindon when the ball went out of play.

No excuse, NC should plan for things like that :?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:23 pm

Whereas anyone sane wouldn’t want clough game we’re here in the position because of clough.

Nearly 2 years ago we landed one (if not the biggest) coups) at mansfield by signing clough as manager, at the time he mentioned defence was the key issue to address.

2 years later and numerous transfer windows later were still playing a forward in cb, and no better off.

Sadly this isn’t going well,
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:51 pm

Can’t argue with that Adam too true
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:34 am

We have no right to be the best in this league. We are envied by a lot of clubs. Crowds are up. After supporting Mansfield for 55 years since a boy I have had some good times and a lot of bad times.. over the last two years I have enjoyed being a stag . Had some great away days and home games have been very good.. I’m optimistic , maybe getting old and just accept things...it could be worse.
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:12 pm

Apologies to John Joe O'Toole. It was Anthony Hartigan and James Perch at fault for the first goal. We only had two men back and Hartigan and Perch will always be vulnerable to pace. It was originally three but Kieran Wallace moved forward to cross the ball which was headed away. I think if Elliott Hewitt had been back there then there was a chance he would have stopped the attack.

I don't think Patterson was offside Pete. I think James Perch is just playing him on.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum