{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Tonights Games

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Tonights Games

Postby Dan » Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:37 pm

His team are now top of our division with the best home record out of all 92 clubs with 12 wins out of 12. Not bad for one of our worst ever managers :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:56 pm

Dan wrote:His team are now top of our division with the best home record out of all 92 clubs with 12 wins out of 12. Not bad for one of our worst ever managers :lol: :lol: :lol:

You can't count the home games he won last season, it's irrelevant.

;) :D
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:13 am

broomo wrote:
Dan wrote:His team are now top of our division with the best home record out of all 92 clubs with 12 wins out of 12. Not bad for one of our worst ever managers :lol: :lol: :lol:

You can't count the home games he won last season, it's irrelevant.

;) :D

:hysteria: :lol:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:46 am

Evans joined us in Nov 2016 with us in 18th position. We finished in 12th.

The following season he left February 2018 with us in 5th place and records a DNF for the season. We ultimately finished 8th that season.

We were in 6th at the same date last season (we did have 2 or 3 games in hand on alot of our rivals) and ultimately finish 7th with a play off final lost. So I'm not fully convinced we "definitely" would have been promoted had Evans stayed. Clough is just as good a manager imo but Evans would have given it a good go.

He had a very good win% but ultimately didn't finish the job here. That's what's important to me it's what they do here. The aim of the game is to win enough points over a season to get promoted (or enough to qualify for a small knockout tournament). Evans recorded 12th and a DNF.

Ian Greaves, whom we named a stand after, has a worse win% than Duncan Russell. Do we want that renamed because ehis win% isn't up there?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:18 am

gazza1988 wrote:Evans joined us in Nov 2016 with us in 18th position. We finished in 12th.

The following season he left February 2018 with us in 5th place and records a DNF for the season. We ultimately finished 8th that season.

We were in 6th at the same date last season (we did have 2 or 3 games in hand on alot of our rivals) and ultimately finish 7th with a play off final lost. So I'm not fully convinced we "definitely" would have been promoted had Evans stayed. Clough is just as good a manager imo but Evans would have given it a good go.

He had a very good win% but ultimately didn't finish the job here. That's what's important to me it's what they do here. The aim of the game is to win enough points over a season to get promoted (or enough to qualify for a small knockout tournament). Evans recorded 12th and a DNF.

Ian Greaves, whom we named a stand after, has a worse win% than Duncan Russell. Do we want that renamed because ehis win% isn't up there?

If you take the 46 games prior to him leaving how many points did he get?
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:21 am

He would have got us promoted. That's not even worth debating. Our form when he left was awesome.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Ralphy » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:22 am

It’s all irrelevant as Evans didn’t get us promoted
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:36 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:He would have got us promoted. That's not even worth debating. Our form when he left was awesome.

Our form was awesome at the same point last season too. Didn't work for us last season in the end.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:45 am

Sneag wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:Evans joined us in Nov 2016 with us in 18th position. We finished in 12th.

If you take the 46 games prior to him leaving how many points did he get?

No idea. I'm bored so I'll try and work it out.

When he left he had 60 points from 34 games. He got 16 points in the last 12 games of the previous season. So a 46bgame season gets 76 points. Which would be 6th place finish that season he left, setting up a play off semi final against Notts County! Incidentally 76 points is what Flitcroft got the following season finishing 4th.

As a win% he won 20 games in that 46 game stretch giving him 43.5% win ratio. (rounded up).

Basically Steve Evans last 46 games for us is the same as Flitcroft's 18/19 season (not worked out goals scored/difference.)
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:51 am

So I thought I'd work out goal difference because of the unusual correlation. 53 for 35 against when Evans left. Scored 11 conceded 12 in last 12 of previous season.

Totals 64 goals scored and 47 conceded for a +17 goal difference.

Flitcroft got 69 goals scored and 41 goals conceded for a goal difference of +28.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Ralphy » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:54 am

Is Steve Evans the new centre half/forward debate :D :D
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:55 am

gazza1988 wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:He would have got us promoted. That's not even worth debating. Our form when he left was awesome.

Our form was awesome at the same point last season too. Didn't work for us last season in the end.

True.

Ive just watched the Stevenage Vs Swindon highlights. They attack at pace and in numbers. Get the ball in the box early. Not sure how good Swindon were though. There was a lot of chaotic defending. I think we could beat them playing our game.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:56 am

Ralphy wrote:Is Steve Evans the new centre half/forward debate :D :D

Define "new" :D

The cb/CF debate in the new Evans/Flitcroft debate.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Ralphy » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:57 am

gazza1988 wrote:
Ralphy wrote:Is Steve Evans the new centre half/forward debate :D :D

Define "new" :D

The cb/CF debate in the new Evans/Flitcroft debate.
:D

True
:D
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:09 pm

Another great win for Steve Evans and Dodgy. Two goals for Jordan Roberts. Assists for Danny Rose and Jamie Reid. 14 wins out of 17 games. We'll be hoping soon that they get offered another job higher up.

Swindon got themselves into trouble by trying to play out of defence.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:06 pm

Always makes me chuckle when this debate comes up. Evans left us to go to a team above because he’s a good manager. Flitcroft was sacked because he’s not a good manager and hasn’t had a managers job since whereas Evans has had several and sits top of our league. Yet people can’t give him the credit he deserves because they don’t like him. Evans didn’t fail while he was here, Flitcroft failed twice. We were flying when Evans left us. I still hate him for doing that but anyone who thinks we wouldn’t have gone up under him are clearly deluded and unable to see through their hatred.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:43 pm

Should be a good reunion between Steve Evans and Gillingham Chairman, Paul Scally, next Saturday!

While Evans has said little of his time at Gills and his exit from the club, chairman and owner Paul Scally described the final few months of their working relationship as dark days, and that it was a “monumental mistake” that they didn’t part company sooner. In April, Scally was critical of his former manager, saying: "The big mistake I made was not based on appointing Steve Evans as our manager, but more so for not removing him three months before I did. I have beaten myself up many times over this, it haunts me at the damage and distress that decision caused to everyone working within the club, and to the very fabric of the club, the damage that decision has caused to me personally, to my health, to my family and friends. It was a monumental mistake. His conduct during that period (of the current campaign) took me personally to perhaps some of the darkest places I have ever experienced in my football life, if not entire life, they were difficult, distressing and painful times."

It was a double from Jordan Roberts that sent Evans’ Stevenage to the top of League 2 at the weekend after a 2-0 win over Swindon Town. Roberts played 10 games for the Gills on loan from Ipswich under Evans and the manager said they tried to get the player in permanently at Priestfield. He moved to Hearts in Scotland instead, before Evans got him back to England this summer at Stevenage. He said: “I took him on a loan spell to Gillingham, if I said the figure, it was embarrassing why we didn’t retain him, we didn’t. We always felt there was a good player there. I kept in touch with his performances up in Scotland and when I got the opportunity to speak to him, given he has a family (just) north of Watford, I thought I had a big chance of getting him, considering he had multiple choices in League 1, when he called me he wanted to play for me again and he has produced it in his performances, for the last three weeks he has been outstanding.”
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:18 pm

According to my mate who's a Gills fan Scally has stepped back and doesn't go anymore.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:35 am

:) Draw would do nicely

Tranmere v Crewe 7.45 k/o
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:28 am

They all moan about Evans but they employ him :lol: Reap what you sow!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:50 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote::) Draw would do nicely

Tranmere v Crewe 7.45 k/o

1-0 H/T

3-0 F/T
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:35 pm

Man City kids have taken lead at Derby after 27 minutes.

A Man City win tonight after 90 minutes means Stags have qualified to knock out stage of papa johns cup.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby ST4GS » Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:39 pm

part time pete wrote:Man City kids have taken lead at Derby after 27 minutes.

A Man City win tonight after 90 minutes means Stags have qualified to knock out stage of papa johns cup.
I was just about to.post the same. Then deleted my post when the Rams equalised
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:21 pm

Derby 1-2 City (U21's)

Borges with both City goals. He makes CJ Hamilton look slow.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:53 pm

1-3 Citeh.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum