{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

#HerGameToo

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: #HerGameToo

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:52 pm

Just an observation that this thread has been open 5 months and despite the number of posts over the last 24 hours still hasn't made two pages.

Maybe that in itself says something about whether fans are really interested in women's football irrespective of whether they are girls, ladies or women?
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:14 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:Just an observation that this thread has been open 5 months and despite the number of posts over the last 24 hours still hasn't made two pages.

Maybe that in itself says something about whether fans are really interested in women's football irrespective of whether they are girls, ladies or women?

True. I’m not. It’s like watching monkey tennis
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:15 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:Just an observation that this thread has been open 5 months and despite the number of posts over the last 24 hours still hasn't made two pages.

Maybe it's more about the level the Stags Women's team are playing at. They are in a 9 team league & are the only club atraced to a League team (Cheats & Notts being the only other pro clubs) .

Compared to the WSL level where several clubs average gates of 10,000+, it's Sunday League stuff.

The Women's game as a whole has obviously come on leaps & bounds in the last decade or so, but it's still played a park football pace, even if the skill levels have gone up, it's still decades behind the men's game in its development.

It does piss me off how SKy & the Beeb have applied a ridiculous equivavence in how the games are presented. Female pundits I'm not fussed about one way or another, they are capable of spouting the same tripe as their male counterparts. What I am sure about is though is if I tried to get job as a pundit on the WSL as a Sky pundit on a CV consisting of 'thuggish Sunday League clogger' I probably wouldn't get an interview, so I'm not sure what 'walking paced lady kickabout merchant' gets you a seat with Keane & Neville?
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:33 pm

Sneag wrote:

Maybe it's more about the level the Stags Women's team are playing at. They are in a 9 team league & are the only club atraced to a League team (Cheats & Notts being the only other pro clubs) .

Compared to the WSL level where several clubs average gates of 10,000+, it's Sunday League stuff.

The Women's game as a whole has obviously come on leaps & bounds in the last decade or so, but it's still played a park football pace, even if the skill levels have gone up, it's still decades behind the men's game in its development.
Blue eyes ,nice figure and an ability to come out with stupid quotes ,
It does piss me off how SKy & the Beeb have applied a ridiculous equivavence in how the games are presented. Female pundits I'm not fussed about one way or another, they are capable of spouting the same tripe as their male counterparts. What I am sure about is though is if I tried to get job as a pundit on the WSL as a Sky pundit on a CV consisting of 'thuggish Sunday League clogger' I probably wouldn't get an interview, so I'm not sure what 'walking paced lady kickabout merchant' gets you a seat with Keane & Neville?
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Costastag » Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:33 pm

Costastag wrote:
Sneag wrote:

Blue eyes ,nice figure and an ability to come out with stupid quotes ,
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Costastag » Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:39 pm

Simple come out with boring cliches ,then try to imitate those two without replicating their words ,its just a load of drivel that no one really wants to watch
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby julianshatnasty » Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:52 pm

Well let's hope that none of the players come on here. I'm sure it's a great morale booster to know you have the full support of the club you're affiliated with.
julianshatnasty
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Marky Mark » Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:00 pm

Is there's a more Stagsnet thread than a bunch of blokes giving their opinion on womens football? If you don't want to watch it then don't - every variant of sport doesn't have to be about you. The womens game has had a massive boost with winning the Euros, and there are young girls taking it up and showing an interest all over the place. Maybe, and I know it's out of the box thinking, women and girls like to watch womens football. Let them get on with it.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:03 pm

julianshatnasty wrote:Well let's hope that none of the players come on here. I'm sure it's a great morale booster to know you have the full support of the club you're affiliated with.

You can't force people to watch or like something just because someone says you should but at the end of the day its not anyone's job to enforce support, it's called choice. We pick our friends, the team we follow, the food we eat, the car we drive, the films we like to watch and so on. I absolutely defend the right of anyone to play the sport they enjoy and love but don't try and say its something its not.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:04 pm

Went to the WSL Manchester Derby in December with City supporting friends.
45,000 fans, loads of young girls in club shirts, great atmosphere, ball in play for something like 90% of the time and a very good spectacle.
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:17 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:
julianshatnasty wrote:Well let's hope that none of the players come on here. I'm sure it's a great morale booster to know you have the full support of the club you're affiliated with.

You can't force people to watch or like something just because someone says you should but at the end of the day its not anyone's job to enforce support, it's called choice. We pick our friends, the team we follow, the food we eat, the car we drive, the films we like to watch and so on. I absolutely defend the right of anyone to play the sport they enjoy and love but don't try and say its something its not.

Who's forcing you to watch it Chris? If no-one watches it then it won't be on TV, but people are watching it. I really enjoyed the women's Euros, yes the final was spoiled a little by the over-hysterical commentators, but it was a good tournament..
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:16 pm

Rob wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:

Who's forcing you to watch it Chris? If no-one watches it then it won't be on TV, but people are watching it. I really enjoyed the women's Euros, yes the final was spoiled a little by the over-hysterical commentators, but it was a good tournament..

I think we are being forced to watch it though. Alright maybe not full programmes but nearly all of the traditional football shows now have an element of either women’s football or pundits from the women’s game. Even soccer AM now has two Jimmy Bullard clones of the female gender taking part in the show and they are actually more annoying than he is. It’s a drip drip approach to ignite interest in something which is, in general, a poor standard of entertainment. Although some players have high skill levels, the majority don’t. It would also help if the size of the goals was reduced proportionally to reflect the size of the smaller keepers. I feel that’s the main problem with the women’s game as shots which should be easily saved often result in goals.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:38 pm

In fairness, part and parcel of football is criticism. No one's above it.
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:50 pm

Marky Mark wrote:Is there's a more Stagsnet thread than a bunch of blokes giving their opinion on womens football? If you don't want to watch it then don't - every variant of sport doesn't have to be about you. The womens game has had a massive boost with winning the Euros, and there are young girls taking it up and showing an interest all over the place. Maybe, and I know it's out of the box thinking, women and girls like to watch womens football. Let them get on with it.

Great but they wont ,or should i say sky or the bbc wont its an inferior product ,thats why its called womens football its simply not comparable
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby NEStag » Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:00 pm

Costastag wrote:
Marky Mark wrote:Is there's a more Stagsnet thread than a bunch of blokes giving their opinion on womens football? If you don't want to watch it then don't - every variant of sport doesn't have to be about you. The womens game has had a massive boost with winning the Euros, and there are young girls taking it up and showing an interest all over the place. Maybe, and I know it's out of the box thinking, women and girls like to watch womens football. Let them get on with it.

Great but they wont ,or should i say sky or the bbc wont its an inferior product ,thats why its called womens football its simply not comparable

I don’t agree with that. It’s comparable but just not yet at the same standard.

It will probably end up like women’s tennis once it’s established in the same way as the men’s game - the players will be equally skilful but physically will not have the same power as the men.

At the moment the women’s game is perhaps behind in its development as a competitive sport just because it hasn’t been part of the culture for girls and women to play football and so the number of players and the training etc just hasn’t been there in the same way as the men’s game.

I enjoy watching it for the right games. Some of the skill is good and the crossing etc is pretty decent.
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:14 pm

NEStag wrote:
Costastag wrote:

It will probably end up like women’s tennis once it’s established - the players will be equally skilful but physically will not have the same power as the men.

At the moment the women’s game is perhaps behind in its development as a competitive sport just because it hasn’t been part of the culture for girls and women to play football and so the number of players and the training etc just hasn’t been there in the same way as the men’s game.

Sorry NE but isn’t that the definition of an inferior product, comparable but not of the same standard? It’s like saying the Isle of Wight Ferry is the same as the QE 2. Both transport people across the sea but not to the same level of excellence.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:21 pm

NEStag wrote:
Costastag wrote:

It will probably end up like women’s tennis once it’s established in the same way as the men’s game - the players will be equally skilful but physically will not have the same power as the men.

I enjoy watching it for the right games. Some of the skill is good and the crossing etc is pretty decent.

It never will be of a comparable level full stop same as rugby its not a game designed for .elegance ,its all about physicality which at the end of the day is a male attribute
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:32 pm

I find following the Stags a full time hobby but do watch the womans game on teli at international level, im sure if i had a relation that played i would take a interest at local level.
Women taking a interest in sport can only be a good thing, and in football its nice to see it growing
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:33 pm

Costastag wrote:

If the problem is that women’s football is an inferior product then why not get rid of all football below the Premier League?
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:34 pm

Marky Mark wrote:
Costastag wrote:

If the problem is that women’s football is an inferior product then why not get rid of all football below the Premier League?

Left to Sky sports they would.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:37 pm

Sneag wrote:
Marky Mark wrote:
Costastag wrote:

Left to Sky sports they would.

True they would rather show womens footy ,then european leagues before getting to the dregs like us
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:39 pm

So you’re bemoaning representation now? Very ironic
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:39 pm

Marky Mark wrote:
Costastag wrote:

Womens football is not even up to the level of schoolboy football ,get a grip
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby julianshatnasty » Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:22 pm

Costastag wrote:
Marky Mark wrote:
Costastag wrote:

The irony of this statement is that we watch Mansfield Town. Trying to pretend that it's even remotely the same game as watching Manchester City and Barcelona is laughable. You may think women's football is raspberry but let's not pretend we're watching quality standard football either. This is just an argument about one level of raspberry being better than another level of raspberry cos it's men's raspberry.
julianshatnasty
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Dan » Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:25 pm

Costastag wrote:
Marky Mark wrote:
Costastag wrote:

Good grief you are so out of touch with reality it's embarrassing.
Dan
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum