{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Dave Smith

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Dave Smith

Postby groundhoppingstag » Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:20 pm

Has our hero of the seventies passed away?
groundhoppingstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Re: Dave Smith

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:24 pm

Southend United and Plymouth Argyle forums are reporting that the best Mansfield Town manager of all time died yesterday.

https://www.shrimperzone.com/forums/thr ... ip.112271/

https://pasoti.co.uk/threads/dave-smith-rip.119699/

Can't believe it.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:25 pm

yes. What sad news.

RIP Dave Smith, one of the greatest managers in our history. Indeed I wrote here (https://stagsnet.net/vintage/reports/ma ... ecords.htm): My opinion is that Dave Smith was our best ever manager.

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Rob » Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:35 pm

Very sad news, our greatest manager of our greatest team, who knows where he would have taken us had it not been for ..... well we won't go there.

Had the great pleasure of talking to Dave at length many years ago, he absolutely loved his time at our club and was genuinely surprised when he heard about the strength of feeling that remained here for him. I know Shaun also met him in Plymouth at the same time so am sure he has his own memories.

What a 24 hours :cry:

RIP Dave.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Retro rob » Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:46 pm

Used to live about a mile from us in skegby and would often see him outside gardening!
Stags most exciting period was when he was manager, such a character and had the attitude of we'll score more than you, as a young man I was distraught when he was sacked and he's not been bettered since, now we take the knee and a minute's silence please. R.I.P. dave. what memories.
Retro rob
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Devon Stag » Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:54 pm

Yeah Rob I had the tremendous honour of presenting him with an award on behalf of the SSA and got to spend most of the evening with him. He was a fantastic bloke and it was amazing to listen to some of his brilliant stories about his life in football.

He was as you say genuinely shocked and surprised that Mansfield fans still held him in such high regard and he was absolutely delighted to receive the award.

He was such a lovely man and will be greatly missed.

RIP Dave
Official home sponsor of Exodus Geohaghon.
http://twitter.com/#!/DevonStag
Devon Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby derbstag » Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:24 pm

RIP Dave he was a lovely person once gave me a lift home after an away game when he was our manager.
derbstag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Amberheart » Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:34 pm

Rest In Peace Dave our best manger of our best team
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby Warsop Stag » Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:21 pm

Dreadfully sad news. Smithy’s 74/75 team was where it all started for me with The Stags.

Hopefully the club will do something to recognise him and his achievements.

RIP Dave
Warsop Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Spiritater » Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:45 am

Smith = God.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:02 am

Without doubt thee best manager our club has ever had.

R.I.P.
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:11 am

Mansfield legend. Built a truly wonderful team. RIP Dave.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby stagone1959 » Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:49 am

RIP Dave.
Such was the feeling of myself and a friend that once you managed another EFL club(Southend)we followed you around the country as you won the Division 4 title with them too.Derek Spence et al.
You would frequently shout down to us from the stand at away games by shouting Kirkby in Ashfield. Extended hospitality to us at Roots Hall for games against the Stags and the FA Cup match v Liverpool.Drew 0 0 at home but lost replay at Anfield 3 0.
Dundee and Plymouth were a little too far off the beaten track for us to follow them too but always followed their results.

Thanks for the memories and the great football.
stagone1959
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby stag861 » Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:52 am

Couldn't believe it when it was announced on the radio that he had left the club in 76. He introduced fan friendly ideas like the players kicking footballs into the crowd when the team came out. Great Guy. RIP Dave.
Per crassum et tenues
stag861
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:08 am

Dave Smith & that fantastic team got me hooked on Stags, the side he built was a golden era for Stags.

Even though Peter Morris finished the job, without Smith we'd never have reached the 2nd tier.

The most insane sacking in the club's history.

74/75 4th Div title, our first trophy and 5th round of FA Cup.

75/76 19 games unbeaten, QF of the League Cup beating 1st Div Wolves & Coventry on the way.

One of the ends should be renamed the Dave Smith Stand.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:11 am

Sneag wrote:Dave Smith & that fantastic team got me hooked on Stags, the side he built was a golden era for Stags.

Even though Peter Morris finished the job, without Smith we'd never have reached the 2nd tier.

75/76 19 games unbeaten, QF of the League Cup beating 1st Div Wolves & Coventry on the way.

Totally agree Sneag. As both ends are sponsored and bring in good revenue for the club maybe the new Bishop Street stand should be the one. It would seem very appropriate if it is indeed going to have safe standing as that would also reflect the era he was with us.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:13 am

Remember singing

“Bring back our Smithy to us”

:(
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby NIGEL » Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:20 am

My favourite manager. When he came back for the 40th Anniversary match in April 2015 against Portsmouth, he stayed up here for the weekend with the late Barry Gibson. On the Sunday, they went to the Hostess Restaurant and I had the pleasure of his company for a couple of hours I will never forget. A truly inspirational man. I agree with Sneag, one of the ends should be named after him. RIP Dave.
NIGEL
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby diablo » Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:25 am

very sad news...RIP
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby wink68 » Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:32 am

Sneag wrote:Dave Smith & that fantastic team got me hooked on Stags, the side he built was a golden era for Stags.

Who knows how far and for how long he could have taken us, if it wasn't for his late night team selection meetings with the chairman's wife.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby northern stag » Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:37 am

I remember him presenting the awards at Shirebrook youth fc and being spellbound by the talk he gave, he was a fabulous man and fabulous manager and I’ve still got his autograph on a serviette from that night .
RIP the greatest Stags manager in my lifetime
northern stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby acasman » Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:55 am

Remember walking up to the west stand for the first home game after his sacking. Massive graffiti reading "Bring back Dave Smith for the fans and hanging for the board "
acasman
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby DURHAM STAG » Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:44 am

Very sad news. He inherited a squad which had finished 17th under Danny Williams, added a couple of youth team players and a few loan signings together with two of Mansfield's best ever players - Ray Clarke and Gordon Hodgson, - to produce a superb football team. He also found a Manchester University student to play centre back in the final few games of the season - Lawrie Madden.

Remember him arriving for an Easter Monday game at Newport - 11.30 start ! - and being genuinely amazed that there were so many Stags supporters to greet him. Nice bloke, superb coach - RIP
DURHAM STAG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby steiner » Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:55 am

Daves signing of Gordon Hodgson has to be the best bit of business MTFC has ever done.. Even tho I was only a young kid I feel so lucky to have seen his team win D4 title.. R I P.
steiner
First Team
First Team

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:58 am

steiner wrote:Daves signing of Gordon Hodgson has to be the best bit of business MTFC has ever done.. Even tho I was only a young kid I feel so lucky to have seen his team win D4 title.. R I P.

best midfielder we have ever had
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum