{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Dave Smith

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Dave Smith

Postby Sneag » Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:09 am

Thinking back to that era, it's such a shame that there is so little archive footage surviving.

And if you think the way we count crowds now is dodgy. :lol:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:54 am

Sneag wrote:Thinking back to that era, it's such a shame that there is so little archive footage surviving.

we've got no video footage at all of the Dave Smith two years. I live in hope that we'll get the Carlisle FA Cup game one day.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Sneag » Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:02 am

Martin Shaw wrote:
Sneag wrote:Thinking back to that era, it's such a shame that there is so little archive footage surviving.

we've got no video footage at all of the Dave Smith two years. I live in hope that we'll get the Carlisle FA Cup game one day.

I can only remember 3 games being on TV from that era. The Carlisle game in 74/75
A 3-0 win at Peterborough on MotD and a 1-2 defeat at Rotherham on YTV (featuring a cracking goal from Hodgeson) in 75/76

I've never found any of them on the web. :(
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:04 am

Martin Shaw wrote:

Surely the BBC must have it, the game was on MOTD and I can remember being seen in the crowd as a 7 year old with my late Grandad. It is amazing bad luck that our greatest ever season was not even partially recorded. Us oldies can bang on all we like about how good we were, but we have no proof!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:20 am

Sneag wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

I can only remember 3 games being on TV from that era. The Carlisle game in 74/75
A 3-0 win at Peterborough on MotD and a 1-2 defeat at Rotherham on YTV (featuring a cracking goal from Hodgeson) in 75/76

I've never found any of them on the web. :(

that's right, plus Darlington away. See https://www.stagsnet.net/vintage/stagsTVappearances.htm
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:21 am

Rob wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

Surely the BBC must have it, the game was on MOTD and I can remember being seen in the crowd as a 7 year old with my late Grandad. It is amazing bad luck that our greatest ever season was not even partially recorded. Us oldies can bang on all we like about how good we were, but we have no proof!

Charlie tried to get the Carlisle game for me, as an internal BBC employee. He tried very hard but ran up against brick walls.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby StaginMorley » Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:56 am

Dave Smith’s team hooked me into the Stags for ever.
R.I.P.
StaginMorley
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Curry 9 Brace 7 » Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:02 am

What sad news, the best football i have ever seen down at the Mill when Dave Smith was in charge, God bless Dave , thanks for the memories
Curry 9 Brace 7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Kernow » Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:19 am

Simply The Best, RIP
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby St Hilary Stag » Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:28 am

Great era for Mansfield Town .. RIP Mr Smith
Far South West's number ONE fan
'
St Hilary Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:34 am

Dave Smith was the manager of Mansfield Town from 1974-1976 and put together the best Mansfield Town team that I have ever seen that won the Division 4 Championship in 1974-1975. They also reached the 5th Rd of the FA Cup before losing 1-0 to First Division Carlisle United in front of 18,293 fans at Field Mill. The football was just tremendous and we fancied our chances against anybody. We even beat the First Division Champions, Dave McKay's Derby County, 1-0 in Sam Eaton's testimonial at the end of the season. The league record was P46 W28 D12 L6 (Home: P23 W17 D6 L0). That would be 96 points today with 3 points for a win.

Kevin Bird and Colin Foster were rock solid and tough tackling in defence and if you got past them then you had to beat the King of Field Mill, Rod Arnold in goal (20 clean sheets). Kevin Bird (7 goals) and Colin Foster (3 goals) could also score from set pieces. Paul Matthews did all the hard work in midfield but he could also play and was good on the ball. Dave Smith signed Gordon Hodgson from Newcastle United. He was one of the best attacking midfield players seen at Field Mill who would float around the field and feed the ball to Jimmy McCaffrey and John Lathan on the wings or to Ray Clarke and Terry Eccles up front. Hodgy scored 11 goals. Sandy Pate and Clive Walker/Barry Foster would also bomb forward from full back. Jimmy McCaffrey, the little winger, was my hero. He would often play on the right wing attacking the Quarry Lane (away end) in the 1st half and then switch to the left wing attacking the North Stand full of Stags fans in the 2nd half. He would beat his full back two or three times and then put lovely crosses in for Clarke and Eccles to attack. Jimmy Mac scored 8 goals and John Lathan scored 9 goals. We then had the big strong and brave Terry Eccles up front who was not afraid to put his head in where it hurts to score 20 goals and the lethal Ray Clarke who had been released by Tottenham and made a few appearances for Swindon before joining the Stags for £8,000. Ray Clarke had his big breakthrough season and scored a massive 30 goals.

There were also cameo appearances at centre half from Dai Lllewellyn (6 games) on loan from Peterborough United, Pat Kruse (6 games) on loan from Leicester City and John Tones (3 games) from Dave Smith's former club Arsenal after Kevin Bird broke his leg at the end of August. Kevin Bird amazingly returned to action in November. Laurie Madden also joined on loan at centre half from Arsenal at the end of the season and played 5 games.. Doug O'Connor signed on a free from Barnsley and stood in for Jimmy McCaffrey for 9 games at the start of the seaon and Mick Laverick also came in for Terry Eccles for 7 games in October. Kevin Griffin also came in on loan from Bristol City and played 4 games up front after Terry Eccles had been kicked in the face against Cambridge whilst scoring with a diving header.

In 1975-1976 Dave Smith signed centre half Ian McKenzie from Sheffield United, midfielder Ian MacDonald from Liverpool and full back Noel Brien from Arsenal in the summer. He later signed centre forward Kevin Randall from Notts County. John Haselden, his assistant manager, left for Sheffield Wednesday and he was replaced by Mick Buxton. The Stags reached the quarter finals of the League Cup beating Scunthorpe United, Wrexham, Coventry City and Wolverhampton Wanderers before losing 4-2 to Manchester City at Maine Road in front of 30,022 fans. However we were 5 points adrift at the bottom of Division 3 in February but then went unbeaten for the last 19 games winning 12 and drawing 7 to finish 11th in Division 3. Ray Clarke scored another 27 goals and was sold to Sparta Rotterdam for a record fee of £90,000 and then later joined Ajax, Brighton and Newcastle United. Dave Smith then suddenly left Field Mill in mysterious circumstances before moving on to win league titles at Southend United and Plymouth Argyle.

The Mansfield Town team that Dave Smith had built (with a few additions) then went on to win the Division 3 Championship in 1976-1977 under Peter Morris with Rod Arnold, Kevin Bird, Colin Foster, Ian MacKenzie, Barry Foster, Gordon Hodgson and Kevin Randall all playing regularly. Paul Matthews played 17 games, Ian MacDonald 15 games, Sandy Pate 14 games and Jimmy McCaffrey played 16 games before leaving for Huddersfield Town along with Terry Eccles who played 10 games. A young Mick Saxby also came into the team after making his debut under Dave Smith the previous season.

Rest In Peace Dave and thanks for all the fantastic memories.
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:01 am, edited 5 times in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Bros » Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:36 am

When we last played Plymouth away Dave was introduced to the crowd. He spoke fondly of his time at Mansfield and applauded the fans there that day. Top bloke and for me the best manager we have had,even in front of Ian Greaves
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Bros » Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:41 am

Does anyone know why he left so suddenly
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:18 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Dave Smith was the manager of Mansfield Town from 1974-1976 and put together the best Mansfield Town team that I have ever seen that won the Division 4 Championship in 1974-1975. They also reached the 5th Rd of the FA Cup before losing 1-0 to First Division Carlisle United in front of 18,293 fans at Field Mill. The football was just tremendous and we fancied our chances against anybody. We beat the First Division Champions, Dave McKay's Derby County 1-0 in Sam Eaton's testimonial at the end of the season. The league record was P46 W28 D12 L6 (Home: P23 W17 D6 L0). That would be 96 points today with 3 points for a win.

Kevin Bird and Colin Foster were rock solid and tough tackling in defence and if you got past them then you had to beat the King of Field Mill, Rod Arnold in goal (20 clean sheets). Kevin Bird (7 goals) and Colin Foster (3 goals) could also score from set pieces. Paul Matthews did all the hard work in midfield but he could also play and was good on the ball. Dave Smith signed Gordon Hodgson from Newcastle United. He was one of the best attacking midfield players seen at Field Mill who would float around the field and feed the ball to Jimmy McCaffrey and John Lathan on the wings or to Ray Clarke and Terry Eccles up front. Hodgy scored 11 goals. Sandy Pate and Clive Walker/Barry Foster would also bomb forward from full back. Jimmy McCaffrey, the little winger, was my hero. He would often play on the right wing attacking the Quarry Lane (away end) in the 1st half and then switch to the left wing attacking the North Stand full of Stags fans in the 2nd half. He would beat his full back two or three times and then put lovely crosses in for Clarke and Eccles to attack. Jimmy Mac scored 8 goals and John Lathan scored 9 goals. We then had the big strong and brave Terry Eccles up front who was not afraid to put his head in where it hurts to score 20 goals and the lethal Ray Clarke who had been released by Tottenham and made a few appearances for Swindon before joining the Stags for £8,000. Ray Clarke had his big breakthrough season and scored a massive 30 goals.

There were also cameo appearances at centre half from Dai Lllewellyn (6 games) on loan from Peterborough United, Pat Kruse (6 games) on loan from Leicester City and John Tones (3 games) from Dave Smith's former club Arsenal after Kevin Bird broke his leg at the end of August. Kevin Bird amazingly returned to action in November. Laurie Madden also joined on loan at centre half from Arsenal at the end of the season and played 5 games.. Doug O'Connor signed on a free from Barnsley and stood in for Jimmy McCaffrey for 9 games at the start of the seaon and Mick Laverick also came in for Terry Eccles for 7 games in October. Kevin Griffin also came in on loan from Bristol City and played 4 games up front after Terry Eccles had been kicked in the face against Cambridge whilst scoring with a diving header.

In 1975-1976 Dave Smith signed centre half Ian McKenzie from Sheffield United, midfielder Ian MacDonald from Liverpool and full back Noel Brien from Arsenal in the summer. He later signed centre forward Kevin Randall from Notts County. John Haselden, his assistant manager, left for Sheffield Wednesday and he was replaced by Mick Buxton. The Stags reached the quarter finals of the League Cup beating Scunthorpe United, Wrexham, Coventry City and Wolverhampton Wanderers before losing 4-2 to Manchester City at Maine Road in front of 30,022 fans. However we were 5 points adrift at the bottom of Division 3 in February but then went unbeaten for the last 19 games winning 12 and drawing 7 to finish 11th in Division 3. Ray Clarke scored another 27 goals and was sold to Sparta Rotterdam for a record fee of £90,000 and then later joined Ajax, Brighton and Newcastle United. Dave Smith then suddenly left Field Mill in mysterious circumstances before moving on to win league titles at Southend United and Plymouth Argyle.

The Mansfield Town team that Dave Smith had built (with a few additions) then went on to win the Division 3 Championship in 1976-1977 under Peter Morris with Rod Arnold, Sandy Pate, Kevin Bird, Colin Foster, Ian McKenzie, Barry Foster, Gordon Hodgson and Kevin Randall all playing regularly. Paul Matthews played 17 games, Ian MacDonald 15 games and Jimmy McCaffrey played 16 games before leaving for Huddersfield Town along with Terry Eccles (10 games). A young Mick Saxby also came into the team after making his debut under Dave Smith the previous season.

Rest In Peace Dave and thanks for all the fantastic memories.

Great obituary of his Mansfield days.

Rest in peace Dave, and thank you for the memories.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:51 pm

Bros wrote:Does anyone know why he left so suddenly

Rumour at the time was players had been promised bonuses for winning Div 4 the previous season & were effectively working to rule for much of the following season. Dave Smith backed his players, once the bonuses were paid the pkayers picked up their tools again & went on a 19 game unbeaten run, to finish mid table. The board took revenge as soon as the season was over.

I don't know if there is any truth in that, just the scuttlebutt at the time. Considering the cup run, where we dumped out two full strength to flight side and scared the bejesus out of another, then going 19 game unbeaten, it does seem believable.

I do think the statute of limitations is long past on the story anyway.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag1 » Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:12 pm

That Carlisle game had an attendance of over 19000 as they reported a faulty reading at one of the turnstiles! I was one of them, and it was the best time to have been following the Stags. It's the reason I'm still there now and hope that this manager and team, can get somewhere close to emulating that side.
Strange that our next game are home will be Carlisle!
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:45 pm

details of the Carlisle attendance reported in the CHAD here: https://stagsnet.net/vintage/reports/carlisle75.htm
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby tmwilson » Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:03 pm

Sneag wrote:Dave Smith & that fantastic team got me hooked on Stags, the side he built was a golden era for Stags.

Even though Peter Morris finished the job, without Smith we'd never have reached the 2nd tier.

The most insane sacking in the club's history.

74/75 4th Div title, our first trophy and 5th round of FA Cup.

75/76 19 games unbeaten, QF of the League Cup beating 1st Div Wolves & Coventry on the way.

One of the ends should be renamed the Dave Smith Stand.

Totally agree. About time we named something in the name of Rod Arnold too.
Never understand why things get named after people have died though
tmwilson
Manager
Manager

Postby tmwilson » Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:08 pm

bigalstag1 wrote:That Carlisle game had an attendance of over 19000 as they reported a faulty reading at one of the turnstiles! I was one of them, and it was the best time to have been following the Stags. It's the reason I'm still there now and hope that this manager and team, can get somewhere close to emulating that side.
Strange that our next game are home will be Carlisle!

I could only get in the away end. A few Stags fans were in there. Great day. Packed solid. I think they only had a few shots. Very unucky not to have beaten them
tmwilson
Manager
Manager

Postby tmwilson » Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:14 pm

R. I. P. Greatest Manager imo
I spoke to him in sandy pates bar. He wouldn't disclose the full reason he left but said he didn't want to and loved the club. He remembered me from a nipper, along with a few friends, after playing on titchy Park we called through to watch the players training on the top bank pitch. He let us have a kick about with the players for 10 mins. We ran back to the shop opposite titchy /cattle market and brought him some sweets and gave them to him on the way back. .
tmwilson
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:31 pm

Sneag wrote:

Rumour at the time was players had been promised bonuses for winning Div 4 the previous season & were effectively working to rule for much of the following season. Dave Smith backed his players, once the bonuses were paid the pkayers picked up their tools again & went on a 19 game unbeaten run, to finish mid table. The board took revenge as soon as the season was over.

I don't know if there is any truth in that, just the scuttlebutt at the time. Considering the cup run, where we dumped out two full strength to flight side and scared the bejesus out of another, then going 19 game unbeaten, it does seem believable.

I think it was more to do with a relationship he had.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:38 pm

BBC Sport website have an article on Dave Smiths passing
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:45 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:BBC Sport website have an article on Dave Smiths passing

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62862481
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:59 pm

Rob wrote:
Sneag wrote:

I think it was more to do with a relationship he had.

I'd heard that too. I think the other rumour had gained legs due to the bizarre form of the team during the first 30 games of the season.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tim Tagg » Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:18 pm

Tatally agree with all the above, you knew they were going to win it was just by how many, still excites u now just remembering the times "Hodgy God"
Tim Tagg
Youth Team
Youth Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum