{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Is Nigel really that good??

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Is Nigel really that good??

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:02 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Johnny H wrote:We stick with him......but hope he stops his insistence on utility players instead of proper centre halfs and goal scorers !!!

I think the vast majority of us know we need another centre half so that Hawkins can play up front. I'm not a fan of Hewitt as a defender as I have previously stated. The thing is NC knows a lot more than any of us that post on this board. I don't think we can get a better manager at the moment.

i’m actually really not sure the vast majority do youth, some seem to see no wrong & anyone who dares to question his transfer dealings are to be shot at dawn
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Nutty Stag » Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:04 pm

Amber Andy wrote:

I think the vast majority of us know we need another centre half so that Hawkins can play up front. I'm not a fan of Hewitt as a defender as I have previously stated. The thing is NC knows a lot more than any of us that post on this board. I don't think we can get a better manager at the moment.[/quote]

NC may know a lot more but that doesn't mean that he is right. He needs to accept that parts of his plan are not working and change is not always a bad thing. I'm pretty sure that if he was to revise some of his thinking then success would only be around the corner.
Nutty Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:07 pm

Nutty Stag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

I think the vast majority of us know we need another centre half so that Hawkins can play up front. I'm not a fan of Hewitt as a defender as I have previously stated. The thing is NC knows a lot more than any of us that post on this board. I don't think we can get a better manager at the moment.

NC may know a lot more but that doesn't mean that he is right. He needs to accept that parts of his plan are not working and change is not always a bad thing. I'm pretty sure that if he was to revise some of his thinking then success would only be around the corner.[/quote]
Which parts of his plan ?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:14 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
Johnny H wrote:We stick with him......but hope he stops his insistence on utility players instead of proper centre halfs and goal scorers !!!

i’m actually really not sure the vast majority do youth, some seem to see no wrong & anyone who dares to question his transfer dealings are to be shot at dawn

I think it is unfair to criticise NC's transfer dealings whilst the window is still open. He has already signed three players above league two standard.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby ElwoodBlues » Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:24 pm

I'd give him a five year deal tomorrow if it was my money.
And if young Nigel says he's happy
He must be happy
He must be happy
He must be happy in his world
ElwoodBlues
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:27 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

I think it is unfair to criticise NC's transfer dealings whilst the window is still open. He has already signed three players above league two standard.

he failed to bring in a quality defender last season, so far he has done the same, however worryingly he’s gone to a back 3, to compound that issue even more.

not doing to well though are we
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:34 pm

But you normally say wait ten games at the, start of each season Yorky,
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:43 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

he failed to bring in a quality defender last season, so far he has done the same, however worryingly he’s gone to a back 3, to compound that issue even more.

not doing to well though are we

Are you saying JJ O’Toole wasn’t a competent League Two defender?
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:13 pm

Wow , and we had the likes of Spanish Stag following GC over a cliff :lol: :lol:

Come on, we lucky to have NC here ,he as is faults , Don't we all ;) ;) ;)
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:25 pm

He’s not perfect

We knew we needed another proven forward and a cb last season and we still don’t have them which contributed to saturdays loss.

However, are we for real? like really?

Do you want dempster or coughlan back! we’ve got one of the best managers in the lower leagues, we should be honoured to have him.

It’s a massive concern there are some who seemingly aren’t happy with him.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:29 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:But you normally say wait ten games at the, start of each season Yorky,

Very true, however i don’t want to be in the same position as last seasons start, we are crying out for that player, same as we were last season, we are so close i just don’t want him to leave us just short again
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:33 pm

Are you saying JJ O’Toole wasn’t a competent League Two defender?[/quote]

JJ is a great defender come midfielder granted Pete, however he needs quality support around him, i honestly feel he runs his squads two short bottom line numbers wise
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:53 pm

adamstag wrote:He’s not perfect

We knew we needed another proven forward and a cb last season and we still don’t have them which contributed to saturdays loss.

Do you want dempster or coughlan back! we’ve got one of the best managers in the lower leagues, we should be honoured to have him.

Completely this. Clough isn’t perfect but he’s done everything asked of him so far. We’ve come such a long way from the worst manager in our history, who followed our second worst manager in our history.

He obviously doesn’t want to waste money in the transfer market. We should never be critical of that.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:27 am

James wrote:

Completely this. Clough isn’t perfect but he’s done everything asked of him so far. We’ve come such a long way from the worst manager in our history, who followed our second worst manager in our history.

He obviously doesn’t want to waste money in the transfer market. We should never be critical of that.
I don't think money is a consideration for some on here.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:27 am

James wrote:

It depends on how you look at the problem. We have a relatively expensive squad which many of us think will fall short if it is not added to this window particularly in defence. In comparison to overall cost of that squad, a decent centre half would be relatively small. So are we wasting money by not spending a bit more and denying ourselves a good chance of promotion or is it better to spend a comparatively smaller amount extra and gain our goal?

We failed to spend it last year and fell short because we weren’t good enough.

My old dad was a merchant seaman who knew the value of money but he had a saying ‘it’s no good spoiling the ship for a ha’porth of tar’. I think that is spot on for our squad this year. I can live with no forward but we definitely need a centre half.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Gruff » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:55 am

Have you watched some of the football we've been playing. Outdated?? People don't like hoofball or tippy-tappy football, but some of the performances over the past year have been incredible.

Unfortunately, we lose or draw games (like other teams) and the doom merchants come out. Clough will provide a list of players to Sharpe, and he has said that a number of those signings haven't come to fruition.but he isn't prepared to sign other players who won't improve the squad.

He knows the players he wants in his squad, and for reasons we can only speculate on, those didn't include O'Keefe or Johnson. That's football.

As much as I want us to get promoted (every season), if we play good football and are in the promotion mix at the end of the season, then it's all pretty good...

Who do you want? Eric Ten Haag?
Gruff
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Richard Cranium » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:08 am

3 games into the season by the way.
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:37 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
James wrote:

It depends on how you look at the problem. We have a relatively expensive squad which many of us think will fall short if it is not added to this window particularly in defence. In comparison to overall cost of that squad, a decent centre half would be relatively small. So are we wasting money by not spending a bit more and denying ourselves a good chance of promotion or is it better to spend a comparatively smaller amount extra and gain our goal?

We failed to spend it last year and fell short because we weren’t good enough.

My old dad was a merchant seaman who knew the value of money but he had a saying ‘it’s no good spoiling the ship for a ha’porth of tar’. I think that is spot on for our squad this year. I can live with no forward but we definitely need a centre half.

Unfortunately it's not your dads money SPB, it's JR & CR's.

They agree a budget and anything outside of that would obviously have to be agreed/sanctioned by JR as with all incomings and outgoings, even if they fit within the agreed budget, as seen with both the Hartigan and Johnson deals, it's JR who has the final say.

I'd hope JR trusts Sharpe and Clough by now and I'd hope there is still enough left for that one key signing if identified but it's definitely not a bottomless pot as some may assume.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:51 am

Broomo

You said earlier that the budget wasn’t being fully used yet. You can’t have it both ways.

And I think you are missing the point. The tragedy is using a big chunk of the budget but still falling short and failing, not in spending a bit more and achieving the aim. That is where a waste of money comes in to the equation. Here’s another saying ‘you have to speculate to accumulate’. The rewards from promotion would far outweigh the cost of a centre half as would the increase in crowds and merchandise sales in the run in.

Of course we don’t know yet where we will end up or who is right or wrong. I am not a manager but I have been watching lower league football at roughly the same level for nearly 60 years and my experience tells me that if we don’t add to the defence in this transfer window we will very likely fail again. Footballing experience doesn’t always come from playing and managing at higher levels.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:04 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Broomo

You said earlier that the budget wasn’t being fully used yet. You can’t have it both ways.

And I think you are missing the point. The tragedy is using a big chunk of the budget but still falling short and failing, not in spending a bit more and achieving the aim. That is where a waste of money comes in to the equation. Here’s another saying ‘you have to speculate to accumulate’. The rewards from promotion would far outweigh the cost of a centre half as would the increase in crowds and merchandise sales in the run in.

Of course we don’t know yet where we will end up or who is right or wrong. I am not a manager but I have been watching lower league football at roughly the same level for nearly 60 years and my experience tells me that if we don’t add to the defence in this transfer window we will very likely fail again. Footballing experience doesn’t always come from playing and managing at higher levels.

I didn't say that at all.

If you could guarantee me that signing another centre half would get us promoted, I'd scream from the rooftops for one.

I've watched football at all levels, not just lower league, for 35 years and my experience tells me it's not as simple as that.

They are looking for and working hard on securing that one player, lets both hope they pull it off & that JR gives his approval and his money.

Increased gate receipts and merchandise sales might not always mean increased playing budget.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:28 am

It only takes a near miss on promotion and a couple of defeats at the start on the new season to bring our clueless fans out again doesn't it.

Been here before. Bore off.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag95 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:32 am

He’s infinitely better than anyone else we could attract.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:33 am

broomo wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Broomo

I didn't say that at all.

If you could guarantee me that signing another centre half would get us promoted, I'd scream from the rooftops for one.

I've watched football at all levels, not just lower league, for 35 years and my experience tells me it's not as simple as that.

They are looking for and working hard on securing that one player, lets both hope they pull it off & that JR gives his approval and his money.

Increased gate receipts and merchandise sales might not always mean increased playing budget.

Of course it doesn’t always mean bigger playing budgets but I am talking about recouping the owners investments. The more money that comes into the club the smaller the losses are or more hopefully the bigger the profit. It’s the final balance that counts not income and expenditure.

I respect your 35 years of watching all levels of football but please don’t think others only watch Mansfield. It’s almost impossible not to watch football these days as there is so much television coverage. I have also been to many games from international, premiership and down to local kickabouts and appreciate what is usually needed. I fully appreciate that skill levels are increasing at all levels and am not arrogant enough to think league 2 is for also rans and easy to get out of.

You are correct in so much as it’s not a simple equation as anything can happen and often does. It is usual however that the unexpected usually happens to make teams under achieve and not the other way around. How many teams like Leicester and Blackburn have won the Premiership? A full season usually levels the table out as we discovered last year.

Finally I can’t guarantee that a new centre half will gain us promotion but it will increase our chances considerably. In my view, failure to sign one will make it extremely unlikely.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby S7AGS » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:38 am

One signing would calm everyone down, a proven finisher to play with Oates (hard to come by hence why we haven’t signed one yet)… it’s not my cash but it’s the sort of make or break signing we need so on paper warrants us pushing the boat out a bit… the first 3 games as well as cup game we have dominated attacks, chances and corners but never really look like actually scoring… we really could/should be top after 3 games and sat in R2 of carabao based on clear cut chances…
Johnny needs to pull rank here I think if it’s a case of Clough/sharpe not wanting to go over budget… it’ll cost a lot more to do a full rebuild again next summer when we finish mid-table
S7AGS
First Team
First Team

Postby broomo » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:44 am

S7AGS wrote:One signing would calm everyone down, a proven finisher to play with Oates (hard to come by hence why we haven’t signed one yet)… it’s not my cash but it’s the sort of make or break signing we need so on paper warrants us pushing the boat out a bit… the first 3 games as well as cup game we have dominated attacks, chances and corners but never really look like actually scoring… we really could/should be top after 3 games and sat in R2 of carabao based on clear cut chances…
Johnny needs to pull rank here I think if it’s a case of Clough/sharpe not wanting to go over budget… it’ll cost a lot more to do a full rebuild again next summer when we finish mid-table

Do you really think it would be Sharpe and Clough saying no to extra budget and JR needs to push them to ask for more cash?
broomo
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum