{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Who in our media team will ask a difficult question?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Who in our media team will ask a difficult question?

Postby broomo » Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:08 pm

[quote="Tippy Tappy Football"]We have needed two quality centre halfs since May 2021. We only improved last season after signing John Joe O'Toole. We would also have signed John Brayford in January or this summer if he had been available. He's now stopping at Burton so we need to move on to Plan B/C/D etc

"You need to build from the back" - Peter Taylor/Brian Clough[
/quote]

"There's too much crap talked about tactics by people who barely know how to win a game of dominoes".

Brian Clough.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny H » Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:14 pm

broomo wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:We have needed two quality centre halfs since May 2021. We only improved last season after signing John Joe O'Toole. We would also have signed John Brayford in January or this summer if he had been available. He's now stopping at Burton so we need to move on to Plan B/C/D etc

/quote]

"There's too much crap talked about tactics by people who barely know how to win a game of dominoes".

Brian Clough.

And their lies another problem......managing in a late 1970's - early 1980 style.
The game has evolved massively......thats why its great to see modern day managers doing well and so obvious who the dinosaurs are
Nigels dad showed how he couldnt cope with the changes in the game 30 years ago.......unfortunately I think his son is showing us he is the same !!!
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby Ralphy » Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:31 pm

This post is absolutely crackers Johnny!!
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Showaddywaddy » Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:33 pm

Johnny H wrote:
broomo wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:We have needed two quality centre halfs since May 2021. We only improved last season after signing John Joe O'Toole. We would also have signed John Brayford in January or this summer if he had been available. He's now stopping at Burton so we need to move on to Plan B/C/D etc

/quote]

Brian Clough.

And their lies another problem......managing in a late 1970's - early 1980 style.
The game has evolved massively......thats why its great to see modern day managers doing well and so obvious who the dinosaurs are
Nigels dad showed how he couldnt cope with the changes in the game 30 years ago.......unfortunately I think his son is showing us he is the same !!!

Based on what? Taking automatic promotion down to the last game of the season, missing out in a playoff final, breaking the clubs longest winning run in the football league?

Although we are already 6 points off top spot and a mere two points above the drop zone so maybe you’re right.

We just don’t know how many targets we’ve missed out on and if that is down to Nigel or Sharpe or other factors.
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Manager
Manager

Postby Nottsstag100 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:35 pm

Johnny H wrote:
broomo wrote:

/quote]

Brian Clough.

Think about this pal, we were a game away from league 1 after having had one of the best seasons in recent history. We are three games into the season we don't need to be panicking now fgs!!

Talking about not being able to cope with changes to the game??? Ludicrous, their keeper was motm yesterday due to saving numerous clear cut chances that we created and the penalty that ultimately would have given us the win. These games happen and its all apart of the game, I am sure come the end of the season we will have more than 2 losses to our name but I am also sure we will have many more wins! :coys:
Nottsstag100
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Johnny H » Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:37 pm

How many saves did Pym make yesterday.......2 or 3 damn good saves I have seen
NC has bemoaned the fact that we dont score enough goals ever since taking over....and he has not rectified that issue in anyway shape or form.....
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby Suttonian » Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:37 pm

bear 73 wrote:
Rob wrote:We've needed a striker and centre half for months, it's nothing new, I'm amazed an experienced manager like Clough can't see how unbalanced our squad is. There is clearly more money in the transfer/wages pot, get it done otherwise top 7 might be very tough.

hh//................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................LooLooking back at the History of Mansfield Town this last 20 years you have been in the top 7 twice, 5 years of non-league football;, and played no higher than league 2,

Top 7 2003-2004/2018-2019/2021-2022

League 1 2002-3

Apart from that bang on
Suttonian
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:53 pm

Johnny H wrote:How many saves did Pym make yesterday.......2 or 3 damn good saves I have seen

one in total. On 60 minutes. see https://stagsnet.net/match/reports/view ... tchid=1171
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby broomo » Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:31 pm

Johnny H wrote:
broomo wrote:

/quote]

Brian Clough.

1989 League Cup Winners, Full Members Cup winners, FA Cup Semi Final and 3rd in the league.

1990 League Cup Winners.

1991 FA Cup finalists

1992 League Cup Finalists and Full Members Cup Winners.

Not bad for a dinosaur with late 70's, early 80's style.

That aside; your post was incredibly bad taste and shows your true colours.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:43 pm

Don't you think we need another centre half Craig?
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:00 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Don't you think we need another centre half Craig?

No. I think we're ok at Centre Half and across the back five (or back four) especially when Perch is back. If I was pushed I'd actually say RB or RWB is our weakest area defensively.

I do think we could do with another striker though.

I know I go against the grain here but I feel the options we have when everyone is fit are pretty good.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:45 pm

Why do you think Craig that Nigel Clough has not tried to sign another experienced centre half bearing in mind he tried to sign Tom Naylor last season and obviously was interested in John Brayford? It does seem a little strange that he's not gone after anybody else especially after the stick he gave Ryan Sweeney and Farrend Rawson in 2020-2021. He brought in Nartey and Forrester at the end of the transfer window but they did not work out due to injuries and it was not until John Joe O'Toole arrived that we improved. Oli Hawkins overall had a very good season but he's likely to pick up suspensions for his traditional yellow card each game. James Perch is getting on and suffered a bad injury last season. Elliott Hewitt is better playing at RB/RWB than cenre half. Riley Harbottle is a young lad with no league starts to his name prior to this season. It's a massive ask for him. We are also now playing three at the back and so need more cover.

Regarding RWB/RB, Elliott Hewitt, Kellan Gordon, Lucas Akins, Jordan Bowery and James Perch can all play in this position. Hewitt, Gordon and Bowery can all improve defensively but are they all too weak defensively? Are they much worse than Stephen McLaughlin who also gets caught out at the back? As Part Time Pete pointed out, I thought one of the reasons for going to three at the back was to provide the wing backs with more cover when we lose possession and they are caught out high up the pitch e.g. Play Off Final.

James Perch is strong enough at RB but may struggle against pace. He is also not really suited to the RWB position.

Interested to hear your thoughts.
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:24 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Why do you think Craig that Nigel Clough has not tried to sign another experienced centre half bearing in mind he tried to sign Tom Naylor last season and obviously was interested in John Brayford? It does seem a little strange that he's not gone after anybody else especially after the stick he gave Ryan Sweeney and Farrend Rawson in 2020-2021. He brought in Nartey and Forrester at the end of the transfer window but they did not work out due to injuries and it was not until John Joe O'Toole arrived that we improved. Oli Hawkins overall had a very good season but he's likely to pick up suspensions for his traditional yellow card each game. James Perch is getting on and suffered a bad injury last season. Elliott Hewitt is better playing at RB/RWB than cenre half. Riley Harbottle is a young lad with no league starts to his name prior to this season. It's a massive ask for him. We are also now playing three at the back and so need more cover.

Regarding RWB/RB, Elliott Hewitt, Kellan Gordon, Lucas Akins, Jordan Bowery and James Perch can all play in this position. Hewitt, Gordon and Bowery can all improve defensively but are they all too weak defensively? Are they much worse than Stephen McLaughlin who also gets caught out at the back? As Part Time Pete pointed out, I thought one of the reasons for going to three at the back was to provide the wing backs with more cover when we lose possession and they are caught out high up the pitch e.g. Play Off Final.

James Perch is strong enough at RB but may struggle against against pace. He is also not really suited to the RWB position.

Interested to hear your thoughts.

It's tough to answer in one post without it being war and peace length and also looking contradictory in places.

First of all, I think he has tried, just not got the player(s) he wanted.

Secondly Perch coming back unexpectedly last season changed things. His experience and composure is invaluable and I don't think he gets the credit he deserves. I can remember games last season where he gave a masterclass in calmness, reading of the game and use of the ball.

The combination of him, Hawkins (heading) and O'Toole (physicality) gives us everything apart from pace and I think Harbottle has looked ok. We've then got Hewitt who can slide across one and even Wallace who can play left of a three.

For all of the talk of Hawkins' yellow cards, how many games has he missed through suspension? I like him back there, a lot more than some others do.

I agree on the RWB options to an extent but if he keeps playing Bowery or Akins there, you know he'll get hammered right?
I do quite like Kellan but think he's missing a bit of composure with his final ball. Having said that NC and his staff clearly feel there's a player in there. Hewitt is good in spells but again his final ball lets him down more often than it succeeds.

I've probably been spoiled by watching Brayford for so many years (and even Freeman and Akins) but I think our right hand side lacks that all rounder, a player who can bomb on but also defend.

On the left Macca has his flaws but no-one can argue he has the ability to win us games.

Up front I've liked the look of an Akins/Oates partnership, with Bowery and Swan as back ups I think it's there we're light. When Oatesy isn't firing we've not really got anyone to hold the ball up top. Yes Oli is an option and not a bad option, but we don't really play the kind of football to fully utilise his strengths and if he's up there I feel it makes us more likely to look to him early (and high) with long balls.

It's difficult for me to know exactly what I would do as I like all of the players we've got and want to see what we can achieve with these lads. I like the belief the management has in them.

The 2 loan lads are part of that, maybe at the moment they are playing more minutes than ideal but the flip side is we brought them here to help us and also to give them enough game time to develop and long term, if we want to get good players on loan we have to be seen to develop the lads we bring in.

Now the contradiction, if you said to me we've got a bottomless budget (which we haven't) would you LIKE us to sign another centre half and another striker, I'd say yes but the question was do we need another centre half and I think we've just about got enough quality there to push Top 3.

I think the versatility of both the players and the formations we can switch to without weakening us, will stand us in good stead.

I'd love to see us sign a strong and pacey attacker. Someone else other than Oates who can frighten teams either centrally or coming in from wide positions.

I think if we had that, the jigsaw would be complete.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:21 pm

Question answered
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Bros » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:09 am

The next question is "when Akins is fit who is he going to drop"
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:42 am

Bros wrote:The next question is "when Akins is fit who is he going to drop"

A great win last night yet you're still digging. Have a day off.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum