{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Message to Nigel

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Message to Nigel

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:04 pm

broomo wrote:The great thing about being a critical fan on a fans forum?

Every team you would have picked would definitely have won the game, or won it better.

Every substitution you would have made would have changed the game in our favour.

Every player you signed would have been a massive hit.

Every player you wanted to sign would have walked to Mansfield to play for us and would probably do it for free, certainly for peanuts at the most.

No one would get injured, suspended, lose form, moan about not starting, or even make a mistake during a game, ever.

You would set up the team to tactically out class any manager or team you come up against, irrespective of their quality.

Your record in the league would be P46 W46 D0 L0 F184 A0 P138

None of those things can ever be proven right or wrong because you do it in fantasy land.

It's genuinely bizarre to me that folk post the stuff they do without a hint of irony or self awareness.

There seems to be a genuine belief that what they say and think is always right.

Genuine question Broomo. Do you have a genuine belief that everything you say and think is always right?

We could throw that post right back at you but in all seriousness posters obviously get things wrong but usually admit to their mistakes.

I suppose the whole purpose of a fan board is so we can all submit our opinions. Who is to say which is more valid for as you rightly point out none can be proven to be right or wrong.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:07 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
SeanieStag wrote:I love how people are demanding a new centre back and striker like they are on a shelf in a supermarket and we just have to put them in the trolley. I agree that we need to improve these areas but the players available in our budget that are better than what we already have are few and far between. In terms of a player’s position I’m sure he’d love to have a squad of players that excel in one position who can also provide great cover elsewhere. These players are again in short supply and we have a choice of players that are good in one role or are average to good in a few. With such a small squad of only 17 outfield players I think he is absolutely right to pad out the team with utility players so that, theoretically, a position can always be covered.
Exactly. This thread is ridiculous. NC wants to sign the best that we can afford. Not every player targeted will come for a whole host of reasons. Plenty of time left in the current window. Three games in. Some need to show patience.

Except Nigel has said that his squad is complete unless someone leaves. It doesn’t matter how much time is left in the window if there is no intention to bring anyone in.

I understand about not buying a striker and am confident we will score a reasonable amount of goals. What I don’t believe is that we have enough strength or depth at the back against teams that play the ball on the floor. That was a problem last season as demonstrated at Wembley and also by our failure to beat any top team away from home. There are more ball playing teams in this league this year.

We were a spent force towards the end of the season with the players being understandably suffering from fatigue. The two games against Northampton were well above the standard we had slipped to and probably flattered to deceive that things were rosey.

In respect of who said we were going for the top three, I’m pretty certain that both Nigel and Sharpe have stated their intention of getting promotion this year preferably without the playoffs. That means a top three finish.

I certainly won’t be shouting for more players if we sign a recognised experienced centre half with a modicum of pace and would be fairly confident that would balance the team enough to achieve the stated aim.

He said last night he is looking to bring one more in.

Let’s hope it’s a centre half then and not just a good player who can fit in.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:29 pm

Every team you would have picked would definitely have won the game, or won it better.

Every substitution you would have made would have changed the game in our favour.

Every player you wanted to sign would have walked to Mansfield to play for us and would probably do it for free, certainly for peanuts at the most.

No one would get injured, suspended, lose form, moan about not starting, or even make a mistake during a game, ever.

You would set up the team to tactically out class any manager or team you come up against, irrespective of their quality.

None of those things can ever be proven right or wrong because you do it in fantasy land.

It's genuinely bizarre to me that folk post the stuff they do without a hint of irony or self awareness.

There seems to be a genuine belief that what they say and think is always right.

Genuine question Broomo. Do you have a genuine belief that everything you say and think is always right?

We could throw that post right back at you but in all seriousness posters obviously get things wrong but usually admit to their mistakes.

I suppose the whole purpose of a fan board is so we can all submit our opinions. Who is to say which is more valid for as you rightly point out none can be proven to be right or wrong.

Of course not everything I say is right and some of it has been proven wrong, the Murphy signing for example.

That's why typically I only comment on who is here and on who plays not on who isn't and doesn't.

It's also why I leave the ins and outs and the team selection to the manager.

I do, maybe arrogantly, think I know quite a bit and can judge a performance fairly well once it's happened.

I also think I'm a pretty good judge of who has played well and who hasn't and how we as a team compared to our opponents.

What I saw last night, and v Tranmere confirmed, to me at least, that we have a very good 19 and whether anyone else comes in or not we will be very competitive this season.

Oatesy hasn't going yet. Boateng and Harbottle didn't get on the pitch and yet for large spells we looked the better side against a team many will fancy for League One play offs.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:49 pm

This thread is laughable, not even sure what to comment anymore.

I generally believe some of you want us to fail.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:55 pm

broomo wrote:

Of course not everything I say is right and some of it has been proven wrong, the Murphy signing for example.

That's why typically I only comment on who is here and on who plays not on who isn't and doesn't.

I do, maybe arrogantly, think I know quite a bit and can judge a performance fairly well once it's happened.

I also think I'm a pretty good judge of who has played well and who hasn't and how we as a team compared to our opponents.

What I saw last night, and v Tranmere confirmed, to me at least, that we have a very good 19 and whether anyone else comes in or not we will be very competitive this season.

Oatesy hasn't going yet. Boateng and Harbottle didn't get on the pitch and yet for large spells we looked the better side against a team many will fancy for League One play offs.

There are some valid points made on this thread, and (IMO) some bizarre opinions, but that is kind of the point of the forum isn’t it?

Trying to stifle debate is not very healthy, and discussing players/formations/tactics should never be discouraged. Your opinion is no more (or less) valid than anyone else’s and even though you’re constantly reminded this a discussion forum (for discussing things) you still don’t seem to understand how anyone could possibly have an alternate opinion to yours.

At least you’re finally admitting your arrogance, small steps eh ;)
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:08 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
SeanieStag wrote:I love how people are demanding a new centre back and striker like they are on a shelf in a supermarket and we just have to put them in the trolley. I agree that we need to improve these areas but the players available in our budget that are better than what we already have are few and far between. In terms of a player’s position I’m sure he’d love to have a squad of players that excel in one position who can also provide great cover elsewhere. These players are again in short supply and we have a choice of players that are good in one role or are average to good in a few. With such a small squad of only 17 outfield players I think he is absolutely right to pad out the team with utility players so that, theoretically, a position can always be covered.
Exactly. This thread is ridiculous. NC wants to sign the best that we can afford. Not every player targeted will come for a whole host of reasons. Plenty of time left in the current window. Three games in. Some need to show patience.

Yet you have said on here Hewitt should be released, which is by far and away the most ridiculous thing I have read on here for months - believe me amongst a lot of competition! Take some of your own patience medicine Andy, we normally agree, but on this we are thousands of miles apart ;) Hewitt is an extremely important squad player for us and overall had a great season for us last year after a slow start. Even though I like Kellan, Hewitt would be my first choice at RWB on Saturday. Up the Stags!!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:17 pm

Beano wrote:
broomo wrote:

There are some valid points made on this thread, and (IMO) some bizarre opinions, but that is kind of the point of the forum isn’t it?

Trying to stifle debate is not very healthy, and discussing players/formations/tactics should never be discouraged. Your opinion is no more (or less) valid than anyone else’s and even though you’re constantly reminded this a discussion forum (for discussing things) you still don’t seem to understand how anyone could possibly have an alternate opinion to yours.

I don't try to stifle debate. I try to stifle silly comments or personal abuse.

You'll never ever see me stifle debate as I enjoy well thought out comments.

But you'll also never see me criticise team selection before a game has started or after it's played.

You'll also never see me criticise transfers in or out as I don't know the reasoning behind the thinking.

As for the arrogance, you must understand there are various levels of knowledge, as in all walks of life. I believe I had a better football teacher than some on here. That's not arrogance, that's a fact.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:53 am

Rob wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Yet you have said on here Hewitt should be released, which is by far and away the most ridiculous thing I have read on here for months - believe me amongst a lot of competition! Take some of your own patience medicine Andy, we normally agree, but on this we are thousands of miles apart ;) Hewitt is an extremely important squad player for us and overall had a great season for us last year after a slow start. Even though I like Kellan, Hewitt would be my first choice at RWB on Saturday. Up the Stags!!
It is just an opinion Rob. Which I stand by. Hewitt is a weak link in the side, especially in the important games. He was poor against Derby and was lucky not to be sent off early on in the game. I do have patience, as I can see the progress we have made under NC.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:30 am

Broomo has a point, we all have points to make.

My beef is that when you make a point the regular "know all's" immediately jump on you because they don't agree. Certain folks, not talking about Broomo who's connections are widely known, think they have the inside track on everything to do with the club and that they are right and try to dismiss your comments out of hand as wrong.

Let opinions flow without being attacked, counter opinions always welcome, put in a polite manner.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:38 am

talking of arrogance, hard to imagine a more arrogant comment than

"I think after three games you must have come to the same conclusion as I" ? :lol: :lol:
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby oldweststander » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:52 am

Martin Shaw wrote:talking of arrogance, hard to imagine a more arrogant comment than

"I think after three games you must have come to the same conclusion as I" ? :lol: :lol:

Martin, I expected better from you, arrogant, get off your high horse mate, you are someone whose opinions are usually worthy of reading.

Calling my comment arrogant is not either true or fair, I have a polite opinion and I'm sure Nigel does know what's missing but we need that missing piece of the jigsaw now before we start playing catch up AGAIN.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:01 am

oldweststander wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:talking of arrogance, hard to imagine a more arrogant comment than

Martin, I expected better from you, arrogant, get off your high horse mate, you are someone whose opinions are usually worthy of reading.

Calling my comment arrogant is not either true or fair, I have a polite opinion and I'm sure Nigel does know what's missing but we need that missing piece of the jigsaw now before we start playing catch up AGAIN.

I don't think it's polite to say someone must have come to the same conclusion as you. But anyway...

he's knows we're missing a striker, as he stated last week. viewtopic.php?p=962881#p962881
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:01 am

It’s hard to debate with someone who ignores facts when presented with them.

By all means have opinions on what positions need strengthening etc, but when you post things which aren’t true and can be disproven, expect to be pulled up on them.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Speccy » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:04 am

I agree with every word of the original post.
I dont think anyone is saying we are going to be poor this season.
From what I can see it's debatable that we've impoved much at all from last season - and dont get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed most of it and I currently guess that we'll finish in about the same position.
But it's often said that we are striving for year on year improvement and I think to find that inmprovement we need at least another centre back and probably an additional striker.
Speccy
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bear 73 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:16 am

I came across a post the other day posted last season, giving Clough a Message.
I feel for all our increasd ticket holders given False hope, with our current Manager living of his Name.
We had a brilliant season took us all the way to Wmbley 2021/22.
Now 2022/23 our season tickets have broken all known records, we sit 1 point outside the play offs after 2 league games. and just witnessed a really good cup game with a attendance no one expected with the league being our priority.
Once more someone wants to tell Clough how to manage a club,
Martin as met Clough and can see the work going on behind the scenes to move Mansfield forward.
And if he had a message for Clough he would get a short shift reply.
This once more makes you look into a opinion.
A view or judgement formed about somthing not necessary based on fact or knowledge, That in my opinion is right
So clueless
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:43 am

broomo wrote:
Beano wrote:
broomo wrote:

But you'll also never see me criticise team selection before a game has started or after it's played.

You'll also never see me criticise transfers in or out as I don't know the reasoning behind the thinking.

As for the arrogance, you must understand there are various levels of knowledge, as in all walks of life. I believe I had a better football teacher than some on here. That's not arrogance, that's a fact.

We’ll be certainly taught you self confidence I’ll give him that :lol: :lol:

But you'll also never see me criticise team selection before a game has started or after it's played

So according to you no manager has ever got his team selection wrong, or if they do it’s not worthy of discussion on a football forum?

Hmmm
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby PaulG » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:45 am

There's a clear distinction to be made here between opinions and criticism, particularly arrogant criticism of a long-standing and successful manager. To suggest that NC is clearly blind to the truth if he can't see that we need a defender or a striker is arrogance beyond belief. To express an opinion that we might be better off with one or both is fine. The fact is that NC knows more about how to build a squad than everyone on here combined. This site is for expressing opinions, but to suggest that you know better than the manager and his staff, given their record, is arrogant nonsense.
PaulG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby diablo » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:53 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
oldweststander wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
oldweststander wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:You have come to the decision after 3 games we are not good enough for top 3, amazing.

Yes, most certainly.

Two makeshift centre backs sent off in the last four games, I include the play off final, plus we have not tested the opposition goalkeepers nearly enough, shot count means nothing if you hit the stand.

To be fair Bobby, wouldn't it be better scoring goals now rather than waiting until January to try and rescue the situation.

Only three teams have had more shots on target than us in the league so far.

And we have beaten the keeper once and tested him rarely in the league.

It's not about shots, time the stato's looked at testing the opposition's keeper, shots that don't need saving are pointless so why count them?

I’ve literally quoted the stats for shots on target. That is shots that the keeper had to save. What part of that is not testing the keeper?

When a defender clears off the line or when the ball hits the bar or posts :)
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby bear 73 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:54 am

Simples if a team win the Manager is right.
If a team loses the Manager has got it wrong
And has a we all know win the next game and the moaning stops 16 pages for a loss----11 pages for a win.
Their nowt more fickle than a football fan
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:55 am

:coys:
PaulG wrote:There's a clear distinction to be made here between opinions and criticism, particularly arrogant criticism of a long-standing and successful manager. To suggest that NC is clearly blind to the truth if he can't see that we need a defender or a striker is arrogance beyond belief. To express an opinion that we might be better off with one or both is fine. The fact is that NC knows more about how to build a squad than everyone on here combined. This site is for expressing opinions, but to suggest that you know better than the manager and his staff, given their record, is arrogant nonsense.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:10 am

MTFCMusings wrote:It’s hard to debate with someone who ignores facts when presented with them.

By all means have opinions on what positions need strengthening etc, but when you post things which aren’t true and can be disproven, expect to be pulled up on them.

I do, I missed the on target bit so sorry for that.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:18 am

PaulG wrote:There's a clear distinction to be made here between opinions and criticism, particularly arrogant criticism of a long-standing and successful manager. To suggest that NC is clearly blind to the truth if he can't see that we need a defender or a striker is arrogance beyond belief. To express an opinion that we might be better off with one or both is fine. The fact is that NC knows more about how to build a squad than everyone on here combined. This site is for expressing opinions, but to suggest that you know better than the manager and his staff, given their record, is arrogant nonsense.

Not seen such a following since the Bible was published.

I rate Nigel and it is not arrogant to suggest he accepts having a unreliable
central defence then suggests Clarke and Bowery can play there, that is pure tosh.

JJ best of the bunch, Hewitt mistake prone, Hawkins ok in the air, Harbottle learning his trade.

Crying out for experience and mobility at the back. Then move Hawkins up front where he posses a danger but not a danger to us

That's me done, said my piece.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:28 am

Beano wrote:
broomo wrote:
Beano wrote:
broomo wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Genuine question Broomo. Do you have a genuine belief that everything you say and think is always right?

We’ll be certainly taught you self confidence I’ll give him that :lol: :lol:

But you'll also never see me criticise team selection before a game has started or after it's played

So according to you no manager has ever got his team selection wrong, or if they do it’s not worthy of discussion on a football forum?

Hmmm

I've never said no manager ever gets a team selection wrong but then again I don't care what other managers do.

I've also never said Nigel never gets it wrong, I've just said I won't criticise him for it as unless or until he explains it, I don't know his rationale.

He does usually give his reasons, they usually make sense and I choose to accept them, some others don't.

I've also never said it's not worthy of a discussion, I'm just never convinced that if he picked a different team the outcome would be different. Some posters seem very sure it would.

Sandy Pate said he could flip my post and turn it back to me, I disagree with that as unlike some I expect and accept we will lose some games throughout the season and I don't share the view that it's always down to poor team selection.

I also don't believe every time we lose there needs to be a deep dive and an overhaul of selection and transfer policy.

It's just all a bit too knee jerk for my liking.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:41 am

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby PaulG » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:52 am

Oldweststander thinks NC is talking "pure tosh" to suggest that Bowery and/or Clarke could be converted into central defenders. That's not an opinion, it's unsubstantiated criticism. I think it's likely that NC, who knows a thing or two about playing football, and sees these players every day in training, has a better idea than Oldweststander as to whether those players are up to the job. To say that in your opinion neither player is up to it is fine, although it might be useful for that opinion to be justified in some way. To accuse NC of talking tosh because he holds a different opinion is just foolishness born of arrogance.
PaulG
Youth Team
Youth Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum