{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Derby Fred sponsored by I did it in a previous life

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Derby Fred sponsored by I did it in a previous life

Postby BH_Stag » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:33 am

He made the same mistake of misjudging the flight at Oldham but just about got away with it. You can get away with him doing a job at wing back but he shouldn’t be considered at CB moving forwards.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:38 am

Cleveland_Stag wrote:Does anyone else think that Clarke or Lapslie should start instead of Quinn in midfield?

I love Quinn but I don’t think he offers enough anymore to warrant him starting every game.

Thought Clarke was great when he came on, put himself about a bit.
Made one notable error with an aerial ball he tried to sidefoot to Pym.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Oladamber66 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:12 am

Great game last night and a proper cup tie atmosphere thought we should have edged it ... but officials again they just seem to get worse... kellan Gordan good in spells good to have him back,hawkins more effective up front he’s always likely to make a costly mistake in defence ,Clarke & Marris bossed the midfield when they came on in fact thats when we looked more dangerous,young Swan looks a good prospect, disallowed goal from our veiw behind the goal in QLE looked ok to us and definitely a stone wall penalty clearly in the box ....shame for Jordan never mind lad you'll be back stronger all in all its going to be a good season hang on tight folks :coys:
Oladamber66
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Elkesley Stag » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:15 am

Jamie wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:Got to love Lapslie, that sprint he did to tackle their player when he was essentially one on one was class. I know it's such a basic thing in football but you love to see that determination and effort. Was unlucky to not score too. Could be in for a start on Saturday, Gordon and laps were great tonight.

Laps was my motm tonight,, worked his backside off throughout. Mecca a close 2nd.

Can't agree in Gordon, he doesn't do it for me. First game back so maybe needs time but he still can't beat a man,, can't cross and is positionally weak. That said, I'd still sooner have him at RWB than Bowery or Akins.

Gordon skinned for their first goal and nowhere near making a challenge on the scorer of the second . O'tooles reaction towards Gordon will be the same as Cloughs . Look decent going forward but does not get back anywhere near quick enough to defend .
Elkesley Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby lifestags » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:53 am

Elkesley Stag wrote:
Jamie wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:Got to love Lapslie, that sprint he did to tackle their player when he was essentially one on one was class. I know it's such a basic thing in football but you love to see that determination and effort. Was unlucky to not score too. Could be in for a start on Saturday, Gordon and laps were great tonight.

Laps was my motm tonight,, worked his backside off throughout. Mecca a close 2nd.

Can't agree in Gordon, he doesn't do it for me. First game back so maybe needs time but he still can't beat a man,, can't cross and is positionally weak. That said, I'd still sooner have him at RWB than Bowery or Akins.

Gordon skinned for their first goal and nowhere near making a challenge on the scorer of the second . O'tooles reaction towards Gordon will be the same as Cloughs . Look decent going forward but does not get back anywhere near quick enough to defend .

I have to say I was thinking the same, I think he had a part to play in both their goals last night, typical Gordon performance for me, promising going forward but doesn't do the basics defensively.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:00 am

Personally think we need a striker and a CB, and Gordon is one I would not mind going the other way. Got enough options in his position.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby wayno cordiniho » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:06 am

Richard Keogh is available again, trained with us last year, experienced so ticks Cloughy boxes there
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:07 am

wayno cordiniho wrote:Richard Keogh is available again, trained with us last year, experienced so ticks Cloughy boxes there

Signed for Ipswich
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:11 am

wayno cordiniho wrote:Richard Keogh is available again, trained with us last year, experienced so ticks Cloughy boxes there

He’s 36 tomorrow. I’m not sure he would give us the speed and agility we are desperate for at centre half and appears to be similar to what we already have.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:12 am

lifestags wrote:
Elkesley Stag wrote:
Jamie wrote:

I have to say I was thinking the same, I think he had a part to play in both their goals last night, typical Gordon performance for me, promising going forward but doesn't do the basics defensively.

So back to Bowery then lads?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby wayno cordiniho » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:13 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:

He’s 36 tomorrow. I’m not sure he would give us the speed and agility we are desperate for at centre half and appears to be similar to what we already have.

Signed for Ipswich so never mind
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:16 pm

Elkesley Stag wrote:
Jamie wrote:

Gordon didn’t get skinned for the first goal. His positioning can be questioned, not sure why he felt the need to tuck in when he did. Macca and Hewitt got skinned for the second goal but no mention.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:23 pm

Gordon is by far our best RWB at the club.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:27 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Elkesley Stag wrote:
Jamie wrote:

Gordon didn’t get skinned for the first goal. His positioning can be questioned, not sure why he felt the need to tuck in when he did. Macca and Hewitt got skinned for the second goal but no mention.

Well Macca got passed around like he wasn't there. Then that essentially left a right footed CB covering in a left back position. It's why ideally you need a left footed CB there. If Hewitt was left footed he would have dealt with it. Had he not been on a yellow I think he would have attempted it. Ball floated over, looked to me like Bowery might have lost his man for a free header. But no it's 100% the RWB fault for a cross coming in from the opposite side. :roll:

Nobody is saying Gordon will never make a mistake, far from it, but his mistakes are fewer and far between than others who have been selected ahead of him to play RWB.

On the first goal it reminded me a little of Hewitt vs Bradford last season, left marking 2 players with no support. JJOT marking another and Hawkins marking nobody. Looking at it Hawks should be on the lad JJOT was on, JJOT on the player Gordon was on and Gordon on the lad who got the cross in.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:29 pm

Bemoans Gordon doesn't play.

Gordon plays.

Rip him to shreds. Great stuff.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:32 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:Bemoans Gordon doesn't play.

Gordon plays.

Who? Me?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:33 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:Bemoans Gordon doesn't play.

Gordon plays.

Who? Me?

No mate those further up.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:48 pm

Conker wrote:Personally think we need a striker and a CB, and Gordon is one I would not mind going the other way. Got enough options in his position.

Even if you don’t rate him, we literally don’t have any other natural right wing backs.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:09 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:
Conker wrote:Personally think we need a striker and a CB, and Gordon is one I would not mind going the other way. Got enough options in his position.

Even if you don’t rate him, we literally don’t have any other natural right wing backs.

The ‘unnatural’ wing backs will all do better than him for me, he’s not going to be here next season I don’t think anyway.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag95 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:11 pm

Conker wrote:
Cleveland_Stag wrote:

The ‘unnatural’ wing backs will all do better than him for me, he’s not going to be here next season anyway.

Lots of absolutes there. He’s clearly our best RWB. I don’t know how you could have watched him lasy night and thought he didn’t have a great game.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:25 pm

Hewitt is almost a perfect wing back in my opinion. Decent enough going forward, gets up and down the pitch and is better defensively than Gordon.

I like Gordon, but when he plays he does make us lose a bit of solidity at the back.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:45 pm

Stag95 wrote:
Conker wrote:
Cleveland_Stag wrote:

The ‘unnatural’ wing backs will all do better than him for me, he’s not going to be here next season anyway.

Lots of absolutes there. He’s clearly our best RWB. I don’t know how you could have watched him lasy night and thought he didn’t have a great game.

Everything I heard from Lincoln fans when we signed him ring true, now he’s obviously been out injured for a while but Hewitt or Akins at RWB anyday for me. Hewitt is a much more balanced option in particular.
Last edited by Conker on Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:48 pm

I thought up to the sending off Bowery was playing better at centre back that what Hawkins did in the first half.

A number of times Bowery broke up play, intercepted the ball, passed the ball out well and generally was defensively sound.

Just got done by misjudging the bounce of the ball and the rest is history.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:51 pm

part time pete wrote:I thought up to the sending off Bowery was playing better at centre back that what Hawkins did in the first half.

A number of times Bowery broke up play, intercepted the ball, passed the ball out well and generally was defensively sound.

Just got done by misjudging the bounce of the ball and the rest is history.

Yeah I thought that too Pete.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:55 pm

Decent game
Laps should start
Oats seems to be very injury prone and is going to miss quite a few matches I think and can’t maintain 90 mins action at his pace
Not much back up for strikers as mentioned many times
Nige will have to keep tinkering with the side for a few games yet but could do with a more settled 11
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum