{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Clough press Conference Tues 2 Aug

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Clough press Conference Tues 2 Aug

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:56 am

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Clough press Conference Tues 2 Aug

Postby Big yella » Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:15 pm

What’s the stumbling block, the strikers been told he’ll be right wing back on Saturday.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:31 pm

Big yella wrote:What’s the stumbling block, the strikers been told he’ll be right wing back on Saturday.

:lol: :lol: now that did make me titter
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:58 pm

Big yella wrote:What’s the stumbling block, the strikers been told he’ll be right wing back on Saturday.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:27 pm

Anyone transcribe what hes said? Im too tight to pay
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:33 pm

PEAR CIDER wrote:Anyone transcribe what hes said? Im too tight to pay

Its so wrong having to pay, excerts were free. Will Radio Nottm do one ?
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:43 pm

all quiet on outgoings. Looking to bring in one player (permanent signing, details in Jake's tweet above), declines to answer which position it is. Wallace back training next week, doing running this week. Perch back in a week or two. Gale and Cooper will go out on loan when everyone is fit. Game against Sheff Wed U23 today, most players apart from Quinn, Oates, Akins will get some game time. Hawkins will get 60 minutes.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby PEAR CIDER » Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:46 pm

ta
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Chadman » Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:52 pm

Full story on the signing that has hit a stumbling block

https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/m ... ck-3791019

And Oli Hawkins speaks for the first time about that red card at Wembley and the torment he suffered afterwards.

https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/m ... it-3791050
Chadman
First Team
First Team

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:58 pm

Interview on ifollow.

First few minutes Clough talks about the game on Saturday. "should have got something, poor finishing, sloppy goals.

Then it's a few more minutes talking about the season ticket sales, it's mentioned by clough that we have a 3 sided ground (not in a bad way just Stevo asked about atmosphere and clough brought it up) then back to season tickets sales being good in the current climate.

Onto Saturday. Discuss Tranmere's signings and their team, it lasts about 1 minute. "lost a few players so slightly different side than last season" "dangerous front 2" mentioned Hemmings "Tranmere just missed out last season and will be there or thereabouts". "We want to get a point or 3 on the board".

Onto transfers. The first part is Jake Garner's tweet. Stevo asked "May I ask what position?" Clough: "No, well yes you can ask but no"

Onto John Lomas Asking. Asked whether players who play this Saturday will be rested for Derby (not exactly how it was asked but the same essence) clough: " can't pre plan that far ahead, depends on injuries we may pick up, will be a strong team either way"

Onto the Lionesses win. "unbelievable achievement, done exceptionally well, it's lovely to see". Clough was then asked if he would sign any for us, *he laughs* "It would certainly improve our team photo".

next interviewer (Jake) is up next to question. Asked about the opening game of the season, Clough laughs and says "do I have to?". Asked where it went wrong on Saturday. Clough: "It started in the first few seconds, from kickoff we gave the ball away. We did that for most of the first half. Didn't get going and conceded 2 very poor goals and ultimately that cost us the whole game. 2nd half we improved. We huffed and puffed and had some very very good situations and didn't make the most of them." Clough then points out we had more possession/shots/corners/everything than them. "So if that is us at our worst, and we can still do that away from home, then that's the only bright spot to come out of it. That we know we can be so much better. Even when we are off the pace as we were, we still have the ability to control a game in the 2nd half away from home" Basically it comes down to they scored their chances and we didn't. Clough then goes through some of the situations.

Then asked about what we need to do more of on Saturday. "Not play like we have done pre season but play like we have done majority of last season. Where we are a force to be reckoned with and a very good team. That was our 8th loss since October, or something like that, so we've not been too bad in the last 10 months." "what hits you most is when you don't see it coming. When you've had a good 3 weeks pre-season, playing well against Rotherham and Sheff utd. Won 3-0 at Oldham, without being brilliant. You know 7 days earlier and then you come into the games saying 'play as you have been' and we fall below those standards that's the surprising part".

Goes on to talk about how he "ideally didn't want to have to start them and wasn't anticipating having to start them and wanted to bring them in gradually to let the adjust to league 2, it was a baptism of fire for them. Will ran around and worked hard. Riley had alot of the ball at the back and probably not used to that sort of side of it, you know depending upon him for his distribution to get us going. Did very well defensively for us but with Hawks being out he found himself in the middle. It was tough for them but they will be better for it. Young players aren't the finished article, that's why they are out with us. It's one of the reasons why last season we had a very experienced side with not so many youngsters in and that is one of the reasons why I think they performed so well. I think they will be very good for us in the next 9 months."

They then talk very briefly about the season tickets and a big crowd on tuesday vs Derby. Clough thinks it should be on TV. They (Derby) were on TV alot last season and it's local etc but Clough asks if that was "because of Wayne Rooney, I'm not sure?"

Talk about home form last season and bringing it into this season. talk about home pre season being good and whatnot. Hawks is in contention for Saturday. We have a training game against Sheff Wed u23 (mentions it earlier I just didn't type it) for fringe players today, Hawks will get 1hr others will get 45 mins who need it.

Onto transfers, Close to one but hit a stumbling block. Basically Jake's tweet above. Asked if it's a couple of players. Clough said just 1 initially, then we will see. Depends on how Kieron Wallace responds to treatment. He's had an injection in his knee a couple of weeks ago, he's building it back up in the gym. He will start running on his own next week, if he gets through that fine then we will go with that. We said we would go with 19 outfield, we have 18 at the moment. Plus the 2 young lads and Cooper and Gale on top of that, who WILL go out on loan once everybody is fit, so we are going to stick to that number. Perch will be another week or so.

Then asked about the enquiry for one of our players. "nope, no, everything's all gone quiet at the moment in terms of outgoings. We want to bring 1 more in and IF anybody goes out we will replace them."

End of interviews.

I does look like Jake's interview was separate. Alot of it was repeated info.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:59 pm

I found that a lot harder than saying what I see on matchday :lol:
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny H » Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:10 pm

Thanks Gazza !!

Appreciated !
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:23 pm

Thank you gazza
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:32 pm

No he will know that he must be a utility player not a onr trick pony
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:32 pm

His mention of a 3 sided ground in terms of atmosphere is quite clearly made in a "bad way" gazza, unless you think he means 3 sided grounds do have a better atmosphere :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Ralphy » Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:33 pm

Thanks Gazza, think Clough had a point. Not very good in the first half and sloppy even from kick off but improved in the second and made chances. It will come over the next few weeks.
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Billy the fish » Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:34 pm

If everything is agreed with the player then surely it’s the parent club either waiting on there replacement signing or they’ve asked for a fee /higher ?
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:21 pm

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:48 pm

Billy the fish wrote:If everything is agreed with the player then surely it’s the parent club either waiting on there replacement signing or they’ve asked for a fee /higher ?

Possibly just certain clauses in the deal. Could be anything.. sell on percentages, promotion fees, goal milestone fees etc.

If they’ve allowed talks to get to such an advanced stage with the player you’d like to think both parties can get it over the line now
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:54 pm

Could be we enquired, they named a price and we said it depends what the player is asking for in his contract. So we are then allowed to talk to the player. We have a deal in principle with the player but perhaps lowered what we are willing to pay his club. (total cost of transfer fee and the player's contract could be more than we are willing to pay) The stumbling block will be what we pay to his current club to release him from his contract.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:55 pm

bear 73 wrote:

So a striker who is there to score goals and hopefully win games is a one trick pony??
Don't talk nonsense.
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:56 pm

gazza1988 wrote:I found that a lot harder than saying what I see on matchday :lol:

Yep thanks gazza, the poor are eternally grateful with you sharing your interview meal with us. Keeps us happy and almost content.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:08 pm

scotsstag wrote:
bear 73 wrote:

So a striker who is there to score goals and hopefully win games is a one trick pony??
Don't talk nonsense.

Harry Kane to play right wing back this season .. :lol:
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:19 pm

Billy the fish wrote:
scotsstag wrote:
bear 73 wrote:

Don't talk nonsense.

Harry Kane to play right wing back this season .. :lol:

Or Shearer, Owen and Cole to name a few.
Bet their manager's used to go mad when they scored a couple but didn't keep tracking back to defend :roll:
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rustystag » Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:43 pm

Probs asked the striker to play GK first half on Saturday lol
Rustystag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum