{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Clough press Conference Tues 2 Aug

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Clough press Conference Tues 2 Aug

Postby Big yella » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:49 am

bear 73 wrote:
Big yella wrote:What’s the stumbling block, the strikers been told he’ll be right wing back on Saturday.

No he will know that he must be a utility player not a onr trick pony

Whoosh!!!
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag on the Beach » Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:48 am

BH_Stag wrote:It was pretty widely accepted that we needed to sign a Centre Back that was going to come in and improve the starting 11 from the off and make a big impact, but seemingly Clough was happy to sign someone who he essentially expected to be a squad player for at least for the early stages. That surprised me considering the switch to the 3 as well.

He probably planned on O'Toole plus two of Hawkins/Perch/Hewitt for his back three.
Stag on the Beach
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:54 am

Stag on the Beach wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:It was pretty widely accepted that we needed to sign a Centre Back that was going to come in and improve the starting 11 from the off and make a big impact, but seemingly Clough was happy to sign someone who he essentially expected to be a squad player for at least for the early stages. That surprised me considering the switch to the 3 as well.

He probably planned on O'Toole plus two of Hawkins/Perch/Hewitt for his back three.

which brings me back again to the point he let Faz go & replaced him with a kid from Florest with zero league experience, great back up but come on the one position we needed to strengthen with pace & experience we failed to do !

the player who i would have wanted was the CB who played for Northampton last season, didn’t he sign for someone in our league ?

it’s turning into a summer of failure in the tx market like last summer
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:58 am

Stag on the Beach wrote:

I am certain if he plays this formation he will play with a defensive midfielder, he normally favours 4-3-3.
He must be planning to increase our attacking options
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:14 am

yorkshire stag wrote:
Stag on the Beach wrote:

which brings me back again to the point he let Faz go & replaced him with a kid from Florest with zero league experience, great back up but come on the one position we needed to strengthen with pace & experience we failed to do !

the player who i would have wanted was the CB who played for Northampton last season, didn’t he sign for someone in our league ?

What if Rawson wanted to leave?

When players are released its assumed that the manager didn't want the player and thats not always the case.

Rawson was a bigger liability than Hawkins anyway, don't think anyone was bothered when he left.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:21 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
Stag on the Beach wrote:

When players are released its assumed that the manager didn't want the player and thats not always the case.

Rawson was a bigger liability than Hawkins anyway, don't think anyone was bothered when he left.

what from Notts local lad, the point i’m getting at is Clough hasn’t replaced him with a better player has he?
we needed an experienced quick leader back there, every man and his dog could see it, & we haven’t have we ?
you know what i think has happened, like he did last season with Naylor, he’s gone balls out & pit all his eggs in one basket for Brayford & history is about to repeat itself
p
Last edited by yorkshire stag on Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:24 am

yorkshire stag wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
Stag on the Beach wrote:

what from Notts local lad, the point i’m getting at is Clough hasn’t replaced him with a better player has he?
we needed an experienced quick leader back there, every man and his dog could see it, & we haven’t have we

How do you know Harbottle’s not better? He’s played one competitive game and you’ve written him off already.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:28 am

How do you know Harbottle’s not better? He’s played one competitive game and you’ve written him off already.[/quote]

when did i say that ?, even clough said he wasn’t expected to be playing so soon and thrown in to mens football.
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:33 am

yorkshire stag wrote:How do you know Harbottle’s not better? He’s played one competitive game and you’ve written him off already.

when did i say that ?, even clough said he wasn’t expected to be playing so soon and thrown in to mens football.[/quote]

You literally just said he didn't replace Faz with anyone better, which to me says you don't think Harbottle is very good..
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:34 am

yorkshire stag wrote:How do you know Harbottle’s not better? He’s played one competitive game and you’ve written him off already.

when did i say that ?, even clough said he wasn’t expected to be playing so soon and thrown in to mens football.[/quote]

I’ve quoted where you’ve said it.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby AshoverStag » Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:45 am

I have been really impressed with Harbottle. I saw all pre season and was at Salford

I really liked the Harbottle. Hawkins. O toole back 3

I hope he plays this vs Tranmere.

Nobody will know of course how Harbottle will do over a full season but give him a few games to settle and he could be a key player this year
When you think you know the answers, I change the questions
AshoverStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:00 pm

It’ll help Harbottle being thrown in at the deep end. It’s what he needs, not a softly approach. He will grow much quicker imo. Just got to get behind him even if he makes the odd error.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Random Hero » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:02 pm

AshoverStag wrote:I have been really impressed with Harbottle. I saw all pre season and was at Salford

Nobody will know of course how Harbottle will do over a full season but give him a few games to settle and he could be a key player this year

Same. Seems very quick for a CB.
An der Elbe, werden Träume wahr
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:04 pm

AshoverStag wrote:I have been really impressed with Harbottle. I saw all pre season and was at Salford

I agree, think he looks a tidy player so far.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:04 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

when did i say that ?, even clough said he wasn’t expected to be playing so soon and thrown in to mens football.

I’ve quoted where you’ve said it.[/quote]

Harbottle wasn’t bought in as a replacement for Faz, he was got in to strengthen the options in depth, we still need a quick experienced CB, even more so now he seems fixated on playing 3
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:06 pm

I think Clough said that he wanted to gradually introduce Harbottle and Swan to the starting line up and the league, so with that you can presume that only one of Clough's intended back 3 was available on Saturday, which would have been JJ. I was impressed with him too, but sounds like once Hawkins, Hewitt and Perch are fit then they might be ahead of him for a time, unless he plays himself into permanent place.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:09 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Harbottle wasn’t bought in as a replacement for Faz, he was got in to strengthen the options in depth, we still need a quick experienced CB, even more so now he seems fixated on playing 3[/quote]

So we let a centre back go who was 4th/5th choice and bring in a centre back who is 4th/5th but he isn’t Rawson’s replacement?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:37 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Harbottle wasn’t bought in as a replacement for Faz, he was got in to strengthen the options in depth, we still need a quick experienced CB, even more so now he seems fixated on playing 3

So we let a centre back go who was 4th/5th choice and bring in a centre back who is 4th/5th but he isn’t Rawson’s replacement?[/quote]

really :roll:

he wants to improve on last years, he hasn’t at CB
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:07 pm

How do you know? Harbottle has played one game.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:23 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:How do you know? Harbottle has played one game.

Makes sense he doesn't like Gordon if he judges a player after one game :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:27 pm

Ok Clough didn’t get Harbottle in to replace Faz, he’s still after his top will improve the back line CB, Harbottle hasn’t played in the football league yet, yes Florest lot rate him & i hope he comes good, however i say again he’s not the signing to replace Faz

Clough got caught out last summer with Naylor, what i’m saying is to be in the same position this season would be unforgivable
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:43 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:

Ok Clough didn’t get Harbottle in to replace Faz, he’s still after his top will improve the back line CB, Harbottle hasn’t played in the football league yet, yes Florest lot rate him & i hope he comes good, however i say again he’s not the signing to replace Faz

Clough got caught out last summer with Naylor, what i’m saying is to be in the same position this season would be unforgivable

he played on Saturday
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:00 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:

he played on Saturday

Yawn
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:10 pm

From the very few bits of Harbottle I've seen, I rate him.

Think he'll develop to go on and play higher than league two.

I thought Clough was a bit harsh with his criticism of him Saturday, as he was probably our best outfield player.

He overhit some long diagonals which is what I think annoyed Clough.

I doubt Harbottle was expecting to be at the centre of distributing the ball so much however, and he certainly wasn't helped by many of the midfield showing for the ball so he wasn't given any other choice.

I think he will get better the more he plays.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Berryhillstagno1 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:11 pm

Went to Salford, and totally agree with stagmanrob thought Riley Harbottle was best player on the pitch. He worked hard moved the ball at his feet out of defence,whilst looking to link up with players ahead of him. Won balls he shouldn't have got too. Harbottle reminds me of John Stones in his body movement and positioning. Riley is a talented player for his age trust me, young, a little raw but he will get better. He has loads of confidence and will be a name. Nartey had a decent game but looks vulnerable and lacks the confidence to nail games as we saw when he was with us.
Berryhillstagno1
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum