{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Doldrums

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Doldrums

Postby Marky Mark » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:55 am

Suttonian wrote:
Marky Mark wrote:What is obvious is that it's been getting gradually worse from a high of the late 70s and we are sat at around our lowest average point since the war. We've only been higher than average 3 times in the last 30 years, and once during the JR era - and proves the overall point of the thread that this isn't good enough given the investment in the last 10 years

Thumbs up to that Marky Mark.

Given the title of this thread it shows we've been in the doldrums for the last 30 years and it's about time we got some wind in our sails

The irony is that JR sacked the manager directly after our highest finish in 16 years, so I think whilst JR should be having a lot more return on his investment, he does shoulder a little of the blame that he hasn't too. But that's a whole different thread that's been done a million times.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:11 pm

I dunno I might have a few minutes spare?

Ready Dan?

:lol:
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:22 pm

:lol: :lol: LET'S GO! :D
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:40 pm

Ultimately as a club since we’ve been promoted we’ve succeeded and failed when it matters, repeatedly.

It’s that which has held us back.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Suttonian » Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:53 pm

Dan wrote::lol: :lol: LET'S GO! :D

Bring Flitcroft back you only have to look at his xG stats to see he is our most successful manager this century and the only thing holding him back was the Bishop Street stand not being developed and not having fans down that side to cheer his team on otherwise Danny Rose would have scored 20 goals to get us promoted
Suttonian
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Dan » Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:15 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Love it!
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:04 pm

Well didn't he lose out on a player because of the ground?

As soon as I saw Suttonian say xG I thought he was being serious for a moment. Dan loves his xG you see.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:07 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Well didn't he lose out on a player because of the ground?.

Oh Gazza!
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:18 pm

Just saying. Well, asking :lol:
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:23 pm

McNulty apparently. and O'Brien convinced him to join cov instead
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:17 am

Back to the OP, you only need to look at the reaction from fans on Twitter and here to the signing of Hartigan to see the general attitude of many fans at present

Club: we signed a really good player who can score from midfield and has played predominantly in League One

Fans: Sign a striker, is he a centre half, we don't need another midfielder
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:04 pm

The club did not say that Ant can score goals from midfield Bill. He's only scored 1 goal. Nigel Clough said:

“Anthony is a young midfielder with a lot of league games under his belt for his age. He’s somebody who we’ve watched for some timeand he’ll bring something different to the squad. He’s a central midfield player, with a very good delivery into the penalty area from set-plays. We think he has real potential to go on and play at a higher level in the future and at 22, he complements the experience we have in the squad. We’re grateful to the owners who, along with David Sharpe have worked hard on the deal and sanction the fee.”

I still think we need another quality centre half and forward though.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:23 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:The club did not say that Ant can score goals from midfield Bill. He's only scored 1 goal. Nigel Clough said:

“Anthony is a young midfielder with a lot of league games under his belt for his age. He’s somebody who we’ve watched for some timeand he’ll bring something different to the squad. He’s a central midfield player, with a very good delivery into the penalty area from set-plays. We think he has real potential to go on and play at a higher level in the future and at 22, he complements the experience we have in the squad. We’re grateful to the owners who, along with David Sharpe have worked hard on the deal and sanction the fee.”

absolutely & the important word there is quality, i do worry he yet again put all his eggs in one basket hoping for Brayford
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:55 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:The club did not say that Ant can score goals from midfield Bill. He's only scored 1 goal. Nigel Clough said:

absolutely & the important word there is quality, i do worry he yet again put all his eggs in one basket hoping for Brayford

Brayford signed a new deal I believe in the summer at Burton
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:42 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:

Brayford signed a new deal I believe in the summer at Burton

that he did, however was a tight call signing the new deal or coming to us apparently
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:57 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:McNulty apparently. and O'Brien convinced him to join cov instead

Mmmm Coventry City or Mansfield Town? I’m sure it really had nothing to do with a missing stand :lol:
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:30 pm

It was more intended as a pastiche of how people rather than literal quote but point taken :lol:
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:59 pm

Sneag wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:However you mark it, we need to be exceeding our historical average league position. It's this engrained L2 mindset that we are trying to shake off.

This thread epitomises our problem - I get slated for suggesting we ought to be doing better and questioning our "progress", while the debate turns into a conversation about how to calculate how lowly our overall position is.

Let's shake.off the shackles of history and propel ourselves. We're need to if we are to continue to grow the club.

100% agree. The past is the past so let’s just make the future great.

In total agreement with AWS & SPBS.

The world's gone mad. :lol:

We're kindred spirits mate.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:05 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:Back to the OP, you only need to look at the reaction from fans on Twitter and here to the signing of Hartigan to see the general attitude of many fans at present

Club: we signed a really good player who can score from midfield and has played predominantly in League One

Seems the fans were right ;)
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:03 am

Sneag wrote:
georgefostersbeard wrote:Back to the OP, you only need to look at the reaction from fans on Twitter and here to the signing of Hartigan to see the general attitude of many fans at present

Seems the fans were right ;)

So now we’re struggling in midfield, have spent most of the season struggling for a decent forward with oates injured and we still have a crap defence. :lol:

Maybe it was from the activities the night before the atmosphere by the fans yesterday was strangely subdued too, as it was against northampton when they equalised.

Maybe we’re all getting groundhog day syndrome :lol:
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:08 am

We were playing well and on the front foot until Hartigan had to go off. He and Quinn were the two best players on the pitch. Then Maris come on ( obviously carrying an injury) and we were much less effictive.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:15 pm

Amber Andy wrote:We were playing well and on the front foot until Hartigan had to go off. He and Quinn were the two best players on the pitch. Then Maris come on ( obviously carrying an injury) and we were much less effictive.

I do wonder what games people watch at times. George Maris came on and played really well after coming on in the 33rd minute apart from being a bit unlucky withthe interception of Andy Williams' pass which deflected off Oli Hawkins to Douglas James Taylor for the 1st Walsall goal. He came on and had two shots at goal in the 1st half. He also is not scared to pass the ball forward. He played a lot better than Anthony Hartigan. He's been one of our best players this season.

George Maris (7.3) was the joint 2nd top rated Stags player on whoscored behind Rhys Oates (7.5).
1 Key Pass (Hartigan 0) (George put one on a plate for Rhys Oates)
42 touches (Hartigan 14)
90% pass success (Hartigan 89%)
28 accurate passes which was 2nd best for all players in the game behind Stephen Quinn (32) (Hartigan 8)
3 shots (Hartigan 0)

Just wonder what George Maris had played like if he was fully fit :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:35 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:We were playing well and on the front foot until Hartigan had to go off. He and Quinn were the two best players on the pitch. Then Maris come on ( obviously carrying an injury) and we were much less effictive.

I do wonder what games people watch at times. George Maris came on and played really well after coming on in the 33rd minute apart from being a bit unlucky withthe interception of Andy Williams' pass which deflected off Oli Hawkins to Douglas James Taylor for the 1st Walsall goal. He came on and had two shots at goal in the 1st half. He also is not scared to pass the ball forward. He played a lot better than Anthony Hartigan. He's been one of our best players this season.

George Maris (7.3) was the joint 2nd top rated Stags player on whoscored behind Rhys Oates (7.5).
42 touches (Hartigan 14)
28 accurate passes which was 2nd best for all players in the game behind Stephen Quinn (32) (Hartigan 8)
3 shots (Hartigan 0)

Our performance dipped when Maris came on (probably because he wasn't fully fit). He passed the ball backwards on too many occasions and his poor touch led to their goal.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:38 pm

Maris was good when he came on, our defeat had nothing to do with Hartigan going off and everything to do with poor defending and missed chances.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:01 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:

42 touches (Hartigan 14)
3 shots (Hartigan 0)

Our performance dipped when Maris came on (probably because he wasn't fully fit). He passed the ball backwards on too many occasions and his poor touch led to their goal.

Why do you watch a different game to everyone else Andy ?
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum