{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stagsnet report

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Stagsnet report

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:27 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:10 pm

"The Stags went very close again after 88 minutes. Boateng lifted the ball out to Quinn on the left touchline, Quinn found McLaughlin who put in a lovely cross to Oates on the edge of the six yard box. Oates turned it goalwards but the keeper made a magnificent save palming the ball up on the line and catching it as it dropped down. Oates unlucky on this occasion, I don’t think he could have done any more."

I thought Rhys Oates should have scored especially if he had gone for the ball with his left foot.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:37 pm

"Salford were ahead with the first attack of the game. Brandon Thomas-Asante got away from McLaughlin and slid a lovely ball forward for Callum Hendry to get in behind Harbottle and roll the ball past Pym into the right corner of the net from 16 yards. No chance for Pym, but the defending from McLaughlin and Harbottle could have been better."

I think Jordan Bowery could have done better as well. He could have tried to throw his body across Hendry to block the shot.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:40 am

He’s not a defender.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Vinnie » Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:47 am

Dan wrote:He’s not a defender.

Can you let our manager know!
Vinnie
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Ralphy » Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:56 am

"The Stags went very close again after 88 minutes. Boateng lifted the ball out to Quinn on the left touchline, Quinn found McLaughlin who put in a lovely cross to Oates on the edge of the six yard box. Oates turned it goalwards but the keeper made a magnificent save palming the ball up on the line and catching it as it dropped down.

This is when stags are at their best, not the greatest performance on Saturday but we made good chances. I can’t help but feel what cost us the game was the desire to shoe horn Bowery into the side even though it cost more effective players playing in their proper positions.
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby part time pete » Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:48 am

Ralphy wrote:"The Stags went very close again after 88 minutes. Boateng lifted the ball out to Quinn on the left touchline, Quinn found McLaughlin who put in a lovely cross to Oates on the edge of the six yard box. Oates turned it goalwards but the keeper made a magnificent save palming the ball up on the line and catching it as it dropped down.

This is when stags are at their best, not the greatest performance on Saturday but we made good chances. I can’t help but feel what cost us the game was the desire to shoe horn Bowery into the side even though it cost more effective players playing in their proper positions.

Ok, who would you have played at centre back if McLaughlin played at LWB.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Ralphy » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:14 am

Would have started with Hewitt, and would go with a back 3 next week of O’Toole, Harbottle and Hewitt. Gordon and Macca on the wings and play Hawkins up front. All just my opinion however!!
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:16 am

from my report: Elliott Hewitt wasn’t fit enough to start having played just 30 minutes of pre-season
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Ralphy » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:18 am

As I said just my opinion
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Marky Mark » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:27 am

If MacLaughlin was literally the only player we could put on a pitch, he should still be played at LWB. Stick 3 guys on each others shoulders in a long coat at CB if it means MacLaughlin plays at LWB, I dont care how it's done - he's no more of a CB than anyone else on the pitch, so why him there? He played a part in conceding the first goal. Play Clarke just ahead of JJ and Harbottle? Play Hewitt for the first 30 mins and see how he goes? Play Cooper for the first half and see how he goes? Play a 442? Play Bowery there? There are countless alternatives than having the leagues best wing back at Centre Back, jesus christ. I still haven't come down off the ceiling about it.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:46 am

Marky Mark wrote:If MacLaughlin was literally the only player we could put on a pitch, he should still be played at LWB. Stick 3 guys on each others shoulders in a long coat at CB if it means MacLaughlin plays at LWB, I dont care how it's done - he's no more of a CB than anyone else on the pitch, so why him there? He played a part in conceding the first goal. Play Clarke just ahead of JJ and Harbottle? Play Hewitt for the first 30 mins and see how he goes? Play Cooper for the first half and see how he goes? Play a 442? Play Bowery there? There are countless alternatives than having the leagues best wing back at Centre Back, jesus christ. I still haven't come down off the ceiling about it.

Quite a baffling decision, still can't get my head around it.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:05 am

Ralphy wrote:Would have started with Hewitt, and would go with a back 3 next week of O’Toole, Harbottle and Hewitt. Gordon and Macca on the wings and play Hawkins up front. All just my opinion however!!

These opinions are valid if all players were match fit, Perch , Law , Wallace out injured and others coming back from injury and not match fit.
The team was not at the races but they took their chances, we fluffed ours losing away from home quite common in football.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:47 am

bear 73 wrote:
Ralphy wrote:Would have started with Hewitt, and would go with a back 3 next week of O’Toole, Harbottle and Hewitt. Gordon and Macca on the wings and play Hawkins up front. All just my opinion however!!

These opinions are valid if all players were match fit, Perch , Law , Wallace out injured and others coming back from injury and not match fit.
The team was not at the races but they took their chances, we fluffed ours losing away from home quite common in football.

His opinions are still valid even if you don’t agree with them.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:46 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:"The Stags went very close again after 88 minutes. Boateng lifted the ball out to Quinn on the left touchline, Quinn found McLaughlin who put in a lovely cross to Oates on the edge of the six yard box. Oates turned it goalwards but the keeper made a magnificent save palming the ball up on the line and catching it as it dropped down. Oates unlucky on this occasion, I don’t think he could have done any more."

I thought Rhys Oates should have scored especially if he had gone for the ball with his left foot.

from the pitchside footage, I think my original description was fair
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum