{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Nigel clough post match - Salford (A)

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Nigel clough post match - Salford (A)

Postby Sneag » Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:57 pm

As Bowery has been playing CB during pre season wouldn't it have been more sensible to play Bowery LCB and Macca in his natural LWB berth where he's our best attacking outlet?

Bowery got lots of space down the left, but on the rare occassions the 40/50 yard diagonal cleared the Salford right back, JB had the check back in on his right foot & momentum was lost.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby gregmtfc » Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:58 pm

Sneag wrote:As Bowery has been playing CB during pre season wouldn't it have been more sensible to play Bowery LCB and Macca in his natural LWB berth where he's our best attacking outlet?

Bowery got lots of space down the left, but on the rare occassions the 40/50 yard diagonal cleared the Salford right back, JB had the check back in on his right foot & momentum was lost.

I’d have actually preferred this
gregmtfc
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby BH_Stag » Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:02 pm

Gordon, JJ, Harbottle, and Macca as a back 4 was the obvious solution to us struggling to field a proper back 5.

We’ve played a back 4 throughout last season and did well for the most part so why we chose to ignore it yesterday I don’t know. Just go to a back 5 next week when we have the players available? If we’re going to be forcing a back 5 constantly even when players aren’t available it’s not going to work.

All this talk of put Bowery there, or Clarke as was suggested by some pre match is ridiculous as well. Why would we want to be so makeshift when there’s a very simple solution? We’re making it difficult for ourselves
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gregmtfc » Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:04 pm

BH_Stag wrote:Gordon, JJ, Harbottle, and Macca as a back 4 was the obvious solution to us struggling to field a proper back 5.

We’ve played a back 4 throughout last season and did well for the most part so why we chose to ignore it yesterday I don’t know. Just go to a back 5 next week when we have the players available?

All this talk of put Bowery there, or Clarke as was suggested by some pre match is ridiculous as well. Why would we want to be so makeshift when there’s a very simple solution? We’re making it difficult for ourselves

Exactly. That back 4 would’ve been perfectly fine, if we haven’t got the players to play 3-5-2, don’t play it.
gregmtfc
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:20 pm

BH_Stag wrote:Gordon, JJ, Harbottle, and Macca as a back 4 was the obvious solution to us struggling to field a proper back 5.

We’ve played a back 4 throughout last season and did well for the most part so why we chose to ignore it yesterday I don’t know. Just go to a back 5 next week when we have the players available? If we’re going to be forcing a back 5 constantly even when players aren’t available it’s not going to work.

Clarke was mentioned pre match because Clough mentioned it in his press conference.

We could have played Cooper at CB.this early in the season there's less pressure than in a play off final for final few games with something to play for.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:27 pm

gregmtfc wrote:

We’ve played a back 4 throughout last season and did well for the most part so why we chose to ignore it yesterday I don’t know. Just go to a back 5 next week when we have the players available?

Exactly. That back 4 would’ve been perfectly fine, if we haven’t got the players to play 3-5-2, don’t play it.

The problem with that is Clough said that Gordon was not fit to start, just like Hewitt.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby gregmtfc » Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:40 pm

part time pete wrote:
gregmtfc wrote:

The problem with that is Clough said that Gordon was not fit to start, just like Hewitt.

Didn’t see clough say anything about Gordon but if that’s the case then play Akins RB like he did last season at Bradford away. My point is, Macca was a big loss not playing at LWB or LB in that first half. You can’t deny that, no matter what I say you’ll disagree so doesn’t matter. We’ll agree to disagree on this one
gregmtfc
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby BH_Stag » Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:46 pm

part time pete wrote:
gregmtfc wrote:

He played 90 minutes the week before and 60 minutes a few days before that. Personally I think Clough wanted to get Akins in the side and therefore opted to be cautious with Gordon. Even if he played for an hour and Hewitt played 30 it would have been better than what we ended up with. I expect Gordon will start next week
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:26 pm

He was hardly gonna come out and say Gordon and Hewitt were 100% fit and I chose not to play them is he? Even if they were.....
It was an easy "out" saying they were not fit to start.

I've never understood how a player is not fit enough to start but is fit enough to come on?
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:32 pm

Conker wrote:So you can blame everyone but him? Surely you are self aware enough to realise you find it impossible to look at this objectively and fairly.

Clough is a L2 manager, he’s got flaws just like the rest of em. It’s fine to admit that, I’m sure he could.

See that's the thing Conker, I don't BLAME anyone, it happens and we've got a game in a weeks time where hopefully we put it right.

The seeming need for an immediate overhaul and criticism of everything on here is both ridiculous and over the top. We lost a game, we''ll still fight for promotion.

Toys out of the pram and stupid comments like he's lost the plot help no-one and nothing.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:31 am

Captain Cunno wrote:He was hardly gonna come out and say Gordon and Hewitt were 100% fit and I chose not to play them is he? Even if they were.....

I've never understood how a player is not fit enough to start but is fit enough to come on?

It depends upon how you view a player as being fit enough to play...when Lapslie came on his energy level was very high yet he was considered not fit enough to start...I remember years ago I attended a sportsman evening with Alf Ramsay as the guest speaker and he said that when playing 4-2-4 he told the central 2 to run themselves into the ground and then simply brought on 2 fresh midfielders , usually at half time..so fitness level is relative to what a player is capable of contributing in a given amount of time
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:11 am

diablo wrote:I attended a sportsman evening with Alf Ramsay as the guest speaker and he said that when playing 4-2-4 he told the central 2 to run themselves into the ground and then simply brought on 2 fresh midfielders , usually at half time..so fitness level is relative to what a player is capable of contributing in a given amount of time

The number of subs was not increased to two until 1987-1988 Derek. Alf Ramsey's last job as a manager was at Birmingham City in 1978. I'm surprised the opposition managers didn't object to him bringing on two subs at half time. No wonder we won the World Cup in 1966! ;) :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:34 am

Captain Cunno wrote:He was hardly gonna come out and say Gordon and Hewitt were 100% fit and I chose not to play them is he? Even if they were.....

So our manager tells lies about his squad, and clubs do not play players coming back from injury giving them game time.
Match fitness only comes from playing games, And believe me a lot of players carry knocks and do their best.
As preluded in pre -seaon a strain or tight muscle can put a player out for months
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby St Hilary Stag » Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:54 am

Pym
Hewitt Hawkins Harbottle
Gordon Maris Boateng Macca
Oates Gale Bowery

Flinders
Clarke
Quinn
O'Toole
Swan
Cooper

... easy Cloughie !!!
Far South West's number ONE fan
'
St Hilary Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:15 am

Eastern Green Stag wrote:Pym
Hewitt Hawkins Harbottle
Oates Gale Bowery

Flinders
Clarke
Quinn
O'Toole
Swan
Cooper

... easy Cloughie !!!

Only 6 subs? ;)
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:17 am

John Joe O'Toole has to start in our defence every time. He was our best defender last season. Quinniesta also has to start in midfield if fully fit.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:29 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:John Joe O'Toole has to start in our defence every time. He was our best defender last season. Quinniesta also has to start in midfield if fully fit.

I'll whisper it quietly, but I think Quinniesta has had his day. I'm sure that would be an unpopular opinion, but for all his undoubted skill an knowse his legs or old geezer legs & as we saw in Bishop's 2nd season there comes a day when they just stop working effectively.

And couple that with for a seasoned pro, he has a shocking attitude, always the first to spit the dummy if a decision doesn't go his way & when that red mist comes down he's a liability.

Hopefully this post will age badly & folk can hit me over the head with it every week. :lol:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:43 am

Sneag wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:John Joe O'Toole has to start in our defence every time. He was our best defender last season. Quinniesta also has to start in midfield if fully fit.

I'll whisper it quietly, but I think Quinniesta has had his day. I'm sure that would be an unpopular opinion, but for all his undoubted skill an knowse his legs or old geezer legs & as we saw in Bishop's 2nd season there comes a day when they just stop working effectively.

And couple that with for a seasoned pro, he has a shocking attitude, always the first to spit the dummy if a decision doesn't go his way & when that red mist comes down he's a liability.

Hopefully this post will age badly & folk can hit me over the head with it every week. :lol:

I was thinking that about Quinn, but dare not say it :lol: :lol:
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby St Hilary Stag » Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:05 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
Eastern Green Stag wrote:Pym
Hewitt Hawkins Harbottle
Oates Gale Bowery

Flinders
Clarke
Quinn
O'Toole
Swan
Cooper

... easy Cloughie !!!

Only 6 subs? ;)

Others injured :lol:
Far South West's number ONE fan
'
St Hilary Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Dan » Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:18 pm

I would have played Gordon for 45 minutes and then Hewitt for the other 45 minutes that way you get to keep your best player(s) in their best position(s) and both players get another 45 minutes under their belts building up their fitness in the process. There’s only one way you get match fit…
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:10 am

Way too early to say that about Quinn, it can happen quickly though.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:18 am

Nig gave a decent assessment imo. A win on Saturday and it won’t seem as bad. COYS. Two draws and we’d say not a bad start but a loss-win is better. We definitely should’ve took a point based on missed chances.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum