{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Nigel clough post match - Salford (A)

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Nigel clough post match - Salford (A)

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:52 pm

post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Re: Nigel clough post match - Salford (A)

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:05 pm

I would have liked to have heard him shoulder some of the blame for today’s performance as that would indicate he knew he’d got it wrong on this occasion.

He didn’t so are we to expect more of the same? I hope not and he needs to make a couple or three new signings in defence and attack if we are to be genuine contenders.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:08 pm

has he ever and i mean ever stood up
and shouldered the blame after a defeat since he’s been here ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:09 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I would have liked to have heard him shoulder some of the blame for today’s performance as that would indicate he knew he’d got it wrong on this occasion.

He didn’t so are we to expect more of the same? I hope not and he needs to make a couple or three new signings in defence and attack if we are to be genuine contenders.

Has he ever?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:13 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I would have liked to have heard him shoulder some of the blame for today’s performance as that would indicate he knew he’d got it wrong on this occasion.

It for sure shows we won’t be moving away from the wing backs formation any time soon, even if injuries/suspensions mean we have to play several players out of position to accommodate the formation.

Think we could do with another wing back option, a natural CB who’s got experience playing in a back 3 as well as a striker to pair with Oates.

I do find it a bit odd that Clough’s suddenly hellbent on us playing a 3-5-2 now despite us reaching a playoff final last season with a back 4. Not sure we needed a formation change and nor does the makeup of our squad suit this formation better in my opinion.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:17 pm

Strange interview typical Teflon Clough ..
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:21 pm

Must deliver this season
I like Nige but results are more important than personalities and so if we don’t get there this time around might be all change again
Today was a full a strength team as possible really so nobody missing from first choice
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:22 pm

tillydog123 wrote:Must deliver this season
I like Nige but results are more important than personalities and so if we don’t get there this time around might be all change again
Today was a full a strength team as possible really so nobody missing from first choice

Perch was missing
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby SeanieStag » Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:25 pm

A fair assessment I'd say. People may moan at the formation and the players out of position but that doesn't account for everyone's poor touch and control, kicking the ball out from kick off and just a general lack of match alertness.
SeanieStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Billy the fish » Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:26 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:

Perch was missing

Straws and clutching spring to mind
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:29 pm

Billy the fish wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Perch was missing

'Nobody missing from first choice'

Perch is/was first choice, is he not? And Hawkins.

Your comment doesn't make sense, but then again that's not anything out of the ordinary.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:45 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Billy the fish wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Perch was missing

Your comment doesn't make sense, but then again that's not anything out of the ordinary.

Oh right the same Perch who’s 37 ? Wow we are really missing our messy from the starting line up .. that wasn’t good enough End of and instead of shouldering the blame NC yet again blames the players .
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:50 pm

Careful what you say today, kids. Bear73 will be taking notes about whos naughty and nice to use against you when we win two games in a row
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:57 pm

To be fair, a fair few couldn’t wait for us to lose so that they could have a go at Clough
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:57 pm

Billy the fish wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Billy the fish wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Perch was missing

Oh right the same Perch who’s 37 ? Wow we are really missing our messy from the starting line up .. that wasn’t good enough End of and instead of shouldering the blame NC yet again blames the players .

You've gone well over my comments. Tilly said we had no one first choice missing, I named the two first choice players missing.

I didn't say anything about how they'd impact the game..
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby trenty » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:05 pm

As stated Perch & Hawkins missing
Hewitt not match fit so that’s 3 from a back 5 missing
Yes NC makes mistakes but his track record overall is keeping him in employment
His hands were tied today as he stated
Can’t believe that after one game we are slagging him off already, give your heads a shake
One of the main reasons I came off Facebook was because of the negativity on it
This site is just as bad
trenty
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby The One » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:11 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:

Perch was missing

Wallace Harkins were missing
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:19 pm

Today was a really poor performance with players that looked unfit, not interested, hung over from Wembley and out of position.
Has Clough learned from last years poor start? We still have a small squad, missing a centre back and centre forward.
Time will tell and hopefully I’ve just post match blues
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby broomo » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:51 pm

Obviously I need to be careful not to provoke anyone into an angry response but..

Christ on a bike. It's the first game of the season and already the knives are out.

I can 100% guarantee we will lose again. Is it going to be like this every time?
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:08 pm

broomo wrote:Obviously I need to be careful not to provoke anyone into an angry response but..

Christ on a bike. It's the first game of the season and already the knives are out.

I can 100% guarantee we will lose again. Is it going to be like this every time?

Sadly yes broomo. And if we aren't in the top 6 after 6 games the usual culprits will start a Clough out gang
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:11 pm

broomo wrote:Obviously I need to be careful not to provoke anyone into an angry response but..

It maybe the 1st game of the season but nothing has changed , that performance was reminiscent of not only Wembley but the pee poor start we had last season . Has NC not learnt anything? What a dogs dinner of a performance that was and tactically looked like a audition for some Chanel 4 reality show ..
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:12 pm

I don’t want Clough out and can’t see a situation where I would BUT he has to accept the blame for a poor performance with a bizarre lineup and learn from it.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:16 pm

Really don’t think it’s unreasonable to seriously question Clough’s team selections and tactics today. Especially after how he got them seriously wrong in the playoff final and towards the end of last season.

Again, me and a lot of other people on here would be annoyed with him had he played everyone in their normal position and we lost. But he played two strikers at wing back, our best wing back at centre back, left our only natural right wing back in Gordon on the bench, and then moved Bowery to centre back after he subbed off both Harbottle and O’Toole.

Completely bizarre decisions from Clough and he showed no accountability regarding his tactics/team selection in his post match interview.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:19 pm

HitchcocksShins wrote:Careful what you say today, kids. Bear73 will be taking notes about whos naughty and nice to use against you when we win two games in a row

I haven't seen Bear73 comment since the result.

I thought this kind of post was against the rules?
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:42 pm

Billy the fish wrote:

It maybe the 1st game of the season but nothing has changed , that performance was reminiscent of not only Wembley but the pee poor start we had last season . Has NC not learnt anything? What a dogs dinner of a performance that was and tactically looked like a audition for some Chanel 4 reality show ..
Try and keep things in perspective. Salford away is not the easiest of fixtures.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum