{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Nigel clough post match - Salford (A)

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Nigel clough post match - Salford (A)

Postby tillydog123 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:56 am

Accept perch and Hawkins missing but on the overall performance would them o. Have made that much difference
Players need to step up after a comfy pre season stroll and I do think Nige is tinkering around with players in wrong positions
Feel better today it’s always a bit raw at 4 45 pm on a Sat when we lie so sorry if I seem negative ish
We move on
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:53 am

Swan has not impressed me so far.He didn't even look good against Retford who are poor.Early days though.Harbottle played ok and was composed on the ball.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:57 am

SeanieStag wrote:A fair assessment I'd say. People may moan at the formation and the players out of position but that doesn't account for everyone's poor touch and control, kicking the ball out from kick off and just a general lack of match alertness.

It was a poor performance all round and still came down to missed chances
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:15 am

broomo wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
broomo wrote:Obviously I need to be careful not to provoke anyone into an angry response but..

Christ on a bike. It's the first game of the season and already the knives are out.

I can 100% guarantee we will lose again. Is it going to be like this every time?

Genuine question

As a follower of Clough Jnr

has he ever excepted he was to blame in a defeat, i’ve only his time in charge of us to judge, & i’m pretty certain in that time the answers no

Yes and he has here as well. At least 3 times last season.

Thankfully he gets it right far more often than he gets it wrong.

interesting, i can’t for the life of me remember which ones can you ?

absolutely he gets it right more often otherwise he wouldn’t me here
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:27 am

jeevesthestag wrote:When I have to question if a post is written by a true Stags supporter or a troll something is wrong. It's the first game of the season for God's sake. Funny thing is, sometimes teams don't play to the best of their ability, especially at the beginning of a season when they might be a bit rusty. To criticise Clough for this performance is absolute nonsense. Every team has off days. This was one of ours. Are the same set of players who won most points per game than any other team from Oct 21 to May 22 suddenly useless? Has Clough lost the plot and made these same players underperform and turn into liabilities?

No, we had a bad game. Nothing came off. We missed a few chances that on another day might have gone in. Comme ci comme ca! Salford will probably be up there at the end of the season and we lost to them. Big deal!

Salford away is a difficut game they have a expensive squad and were more clinicle on the day, we are now only 3 points of the top with 45 games to go.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:37 am

kevin kents tasce wrote:To be fair, a fair few couldn’t wait for us to lose so that they could have a go at Clough

Well he did pick Oates who missed a sitter, and Boateng who could have had a hat trick,
Players do not have bad games or make mistakes .
A point away from home is always a good point, they are hard to get and a win well that is brilliant
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:44 am

He also played players out of position rather then entertain the idea of going to a back 4.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:48 am

tillydog123 wrote:Must deliver this season
I like Nige but results are more important than personalities and so if we don’t get there this time around might be all change again
Today was a full a strength team as possible really so nobody missing from first choice

worked well for the last 20 years .
remind me what is the clubs record transfer fee payed out.
Stockport payed out £250-000 for Paddy Madden in non -league, and Wrexham £300-000 still in non-league.
So no we have no divine right to promotion just faith we will go one better this year, and unity is the key
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Showaddywaddy » Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:58 am

geoffhill wrote:Swan has not impressed me so far.He didn't even look good against Retford who are poor.Early days though.Harbottle played ok and was composed on the ball.

I wasn’t at the game Geoff so I can’t comment too much but I’ve just watched the goals back and it looks like Harbottle completely misjudged a ball around the half way line for the first and jumped under it and then failed to get back anywhere near into position. For the second it looked like he managed to again bring himself forward in between defence and midfield without putting any pressure on the Salford player who slid the ball forward to Asante.

Very early days of course and plenty of time and room for improvement.
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:00 pm

adamstag wrote:Given cloughs fixation wifi akins when he’s clearly done i’d be half expecting him to start in goal next week so he can play.

Last time i looked Akins was not in the million pound price range just a hard working player wearing a stags shirt and giving 100%
If Oates had been more clinicle with the golden opportunity Akins provided for him we would hve been in the game and Akins would have a assist
fine margins
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:03 pm

My view on why he didn’t play a back four formation was that he didn’t have any ‘fit to start’ right back. Perch injured and Hewitt only fit for bench. Also folk saying Gordon could play there, but after his right back performance at Barrow last season you can see why Nigel has no faith in Gordon in playing right back.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:05 pm

Showaddywaddy wrote:
geoffhill wrote:Swan has not impressed me so far.He didn't even look good against Retford who are poor.Early days though.Harbottle played ok and was composed on the ball.

I wasn’t at the game Geoff so I can’t comment too much but I’ve just watched the goals back and it looks like Harbottle completely misjudged a ball around the half way line for the first and jumped under it and then failed to get back anywhere near into position. For the second it looked like he managed to again bring himself forward in between defence and midfield without putting any pressure on the Salford player who slid the ball forward to Asante.

It was McLaughlin and not Harbottle who missed the tackle for the first goal.
part time pete

Postby Showaddywaddy » Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:10 pm

part time pete wrote:
Showaddywaddy wrote:

It was McLaughlin and not Harbottle who missed the tackle for the first goal.

In the early build up it looked like Harbottle who jumped under the high ball and then struggled to get back anywhere to a defensive position, it looked like he over committed too high up the pitch, I agree Macca then failed to make a challenge before the shot was hit.
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:15 pm

part time pete wrote:My view on why he didn’t play a back four formation was that he didn’t have any ‘fit to start’ right back. Perch injured and Hewitt only fit for bench. Also folk saying Gordon could play there, but after his right back performance at Barrow last season you can see why Nigel has no faith in Gordon in playing right back.

Gordons poor form was well over a year ago now. Not to mention Clough actually gave Gordon a 2.5 year deal after him doing well at right back in those early stages.

Even if Clough wasn’t entirely comfortable with playing Gordon at RB, at least he would have had a back 4 in place where they all have plenty of experience in their positions.

Cloughs quote at the end of his interview about asking the players why they didn’t do what they did in pre season made me laugh. Hopefully they say because half the back line was out of position.

For me he often picks his team thinking he has to get certain players on the pitch, no matter where they are playing or how they work with other players. I think we saw this quite often towards the back end of last season, again yesterday, and partially why we have moved to a back 5. If he can get back to basics I fully expect us to have a successful season
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:22 pm

part time pete wrote:My view on why he didn’t play a back four formation was that he didn’t have any ‘fit to start’ right back. Perch injured and Hewitt only fit for bench. Also folk saying Gordon could play there, but after his right back performance at Barrow last season you can see why Nigel has no faith in Gordon in playing right back.

Rubbish. Even if you/Clough don’t think Gordon’s an out and out right back (he’s played RB plenty before mind) that would mean we’d be playing just one player out of position, rather than us playing a back 5 yesterday where Macca, Akins and Bowery were all playing out of position.

It’s impossible to justify his team selection yesterday. Staggering how wrong he got it.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:47 pm

For me the team picked was a mixture of not fully fit players being able to start and Clough playing who he trusts , even if they are not in their favoured position.

It clearly backfired.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:43 pm

broomo wrote:Obviously I need to be careful not to provoke anyone into an angry response but..

Christ on a bike. It's the first game of the season and already the knives are out.

I can 100% guarantee we will lose again. Is it going to be like this every time?

Does NC deserve any of the blame for yesterday’s result? It’s a simple yes or no.

And if he does, which some clearly believe he does, is it not right that supporters of the CLUB point out he hasn’t acknowledged any of that blame?
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:47 pm

You two defo need to raspberry or fate :lol:
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:51 pm

bear 73 wrote:
jeevesthestag wrote:When I have to question if a post is written by a true Stags supporter or a troll something is wrong. It's the first game of the season for God's sake. Funny thing is, sometimes teams don't play to the best of their ability, especially at the beginning of a season when they might be a bit rusty. To criticise Clough for this performance is absolute nonsense. Every team has off days. This was one of ours. Are the same set of players who won most points per game than any other team from Oct 21 to May 22 suddenly useless? Has Clough lost the plot and made these same players underperform and turn into liabilities?

No, we had a bad game. Nothing came off. We missed a few chances that on another day might have gone in. Comme ci comme ca! Salford will probably be up there at the end of the season and we lost to them. Big deal!

Salford away is a difficut game they have a expensive squad and were more clinicle on the day, we are now only 3 points of the top with 45 games to go.

It wasn’t a particularly difficult game was it? Both goals although decent finishes were caused by our own mistakes, and we had most of the ball after it became 2-0 we just did nowt with it other than miss a few easy goals.

I agree that you should never take too much out of the opening fixture, but we need our manager to learn between now and next Saturday he needs to generally play five defenders in a back five, it’s not exactly groundbreaking.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:03 pm

Big yella wrote:

Does NC deserve any of the blame for yesterday’s result? It’s a simple yes or no.

And if he does, which some clearly believe he does, is it not right that supporters of the CLUB point out he hasn’t acknowledged any of that blame?

I don't know if he deserves blame or not. I'm sure he ddin't tell our centre backs to go diving in and miss challenges and I'm sure he didn't tell Maris (who isn't the world beater a lot of you make him out to be) to dwell on the ball for 5 seconds.

I'm sure he didn't tell Oates, Akins and Boateng to miss decent chances either, but he did pick a side which lost, so overall his responsibility, which I'm sure he knows.

It seems to some on herw we lose because of him but win despite him.

The bloke currently has the 4th highest win rate of any Mansfield manager since 1922 and broke records right left and centre last season, so question away but again, don't make out he's some kind of liability or amateur.

Someone asked if he ever learns his lessons, I'll tell you who doesn't learn theirs, the majority of loud posters on here.

Has last season taught you nothing?
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:06 pm

So you can blame everyone but him? Surely you are self aware enough to realise you find it impossible to look at this objectively and fairly.

Clough is a L2 manager, he’s got flaws just like the rest of em. It’s fine to admit that, I’m sure he could.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:15 pm

broomo wrote:
Big yella wrote:

I don't know if he deserves blame or not. I'm sure he ddin't tell our centre backs to go diving in and miss challenges and I'm sure he didn't tell Maris (who isn't the world beater a lot of you make him out to be) to dwell on the ball for 5 seconds.

I'm sure he didn't tell Oates, Akins and Boateng to miss decent chances either, but he did pick a side which lost, so overall his responsibility, which I'm sure he knows.

The bloke currently has the 4th highest win rate of any Mansfield manager since 1922 and broke records right left and centre last season, so question away but again, don't make out he's some kind of liability or amateur.

Someone asked if he ever learns his lessons, I'll tell you who doesn't learn theirs, the majority of loud posters on here.

Name 1 poster who has stated Maris is world class never mind a lot of them...?

Of course the players shoulder some of the blame yesterday but not the ones who were selected in a position that's not there favoured one..

Clough got a fair few things wrong yesterday , just accept it broomo and we move on.
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby gregmtfc » Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:38 pm

broomo wrote:
Big yella wrote:

Of course the players need to take some blame we aren’t saying that. But Clough got it wrong on this occasion. I am one of Clough’s biggest fans for what he’s done at the club BUT yesterday it was bad day at the office for him. Our most creative player/player of the season starts the game at centre back. By the time he ends up at left wing back and starts to create chances, we’re already 2-0 down and Salford shut up shop. Clough tried to fit everyone in yesterday, two strikers as wing backs. I know we had injuries and a suspension but There were other ways to deal with that rather than play Macca centre back. To say Clough never gets credit when we win is a load of rubbish tbh, I think that’s a minority of fans you’re thinking of. But come on Broomo, is it that hard to admit Clough may have had an off day and got it wrong?
gregmtfc
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby part time pete » Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:46 pm

gregmtfc wrote:
broomo wrote:
Big yella wrote:

Of course the players need to take some blame we aren’t saying that. But Clough got it wrong on this occasion. I am one of Clough’s biggest fans for what he’s done at the club BUT yesterday it was bad day at the office for him. Our most creative player/player of the season starts the game at centre back. By the time he ends up at left wing back and starts to create chances, we’re already 2-0 down and Salford shut up shop. Clough tried to fit everyone in yesterday, two strikers as wing backs. I know we had injuries and a suspension but There were other ways to deal with that rather than play Macca centre back. To say Clough never gets credit when we win is a load of rubbish tbh, I think that’s a minority of fans you’re thinking of. But come on Broomo, is it that hard to admit Clough may have had an off day and got it wrong?

Ok who would you have started the game?
part time pete

Postby gregmtfc » Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:56 pm

part time pete wrote:
gregmtfc wrote:
broomo wrote:
Big yella wrote:

Ok who would you have started the game?

I mean… if you haven’t got the players to play 3-5-2 due to injuries… play 4-1-2-1-2 which we played last season and play Macca at LB & Gordon at RB. I just think it’s starting us on the back foot, when we can’t Macca in the game, he was stuck at CB. Like I’ve said, I’m one of Clough’s biggest supporters but yesterday didn’t work, you can’t say it did. Also some players just didn’t turn up at all, most of them actually. I actually think the 3-5-2 can work well, but from what clough has said, it sounds like we didn’t have the players yesterday to make that system work, in a ideal world Hewitt is fit enough and he comes in, Macca goes to LWB
gregmtfc
Youth Team
Youth Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum