{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Radio Nottingham to broadcast commentary

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Radio Nottingham to broadcast commentary

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:10 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:What!!!!

Free to air commentary. Does that mean the Wii can be retired and Spiro can afford a packet of crisps?

best not be, ‘‘twas going ya buy owd lad some rechargeable batteries for his birthday Grrrrrr
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:16 pm

Spiritater wrote:As much as everyone feels for Craig I am glad that Radio Nottm have now full home and away broadcasting rights.
Not so long back (in case anyone has forgotten) 103.3 had the commentary rights and chose not to do any. Instead they took the stance that they'd just do updates on away games whilst then sucking up to Florist and the bloody Run Chase saying they could not justify doing full commo as the listener figures didn't warrant it.
So in that respect they only have themselves to blame.

Remember when 103.2 not only did commentary on the radio but also did the commentary for ifollow and Delahunty kept interrupting the football to bring the cricket scores?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:02 pm

Spiritater wrote:As much as everyone feels for Craig I am glad that Radio Nottm have now full home and away broadcasting rights.
Not so long back (in case anyone has forgotten) 103.3 had the commentary rights and chose not to do any. Instead they took the stance that they'd just do updates on away games whilst then sucking up to Florist and the bloody Run Chase saying they could not justify doing full commo as the listener figures didn't warrant it.
So in that respect they only have themselves to blame.

Used to be over to Cuckney who are all out against Hosiery Mills
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:09 pm

mtfcmatters wrote:As for the Podcast, well that's another story! Doing the radio stuff really helped it to grow and to be honest, without it, I don't have as much drive to carry on doing it. BUT, I know that people enjoy listening and it gives me a reason (for my own mental health) to keep going to games, so for now - it continues, especially as there's not really any other shows out there for Stags fans which is why we started it six years ago anyway!

Keep the podcast going Craig and especially your interviews with former players which are excellent. I don't always get the chance to listen to them live but I enjoy catching up with them. Thanks for all your hard work to date.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby S7AGS » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:18 pm

Enjoyed listening to Craig on commentary last season on the few occasions, very good at it compared to what I’ve heard from the bbc to be honest.
S7AGS
First Team
First Team

Postby Spiritater » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:24 pm

Nothing against Craig, great commentator, just working for the wrong radio station.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:40 pm

Well, I'd expect given how Forest do their commentary (Colin Fray and Brian Laws) and how Clownty do theirs (Charlie Slater and Mark Stallard) that Jake Garner won't be just sat there doing it on his own?

So who will be his co-commentator? Obviously the other two Notts teams have ex-players there....but do we really have an ex-player who would go home and away with Jake?

What I am getting at here, is can't they give Craig that gig? He more than deserves it.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:01 am

stagmanrob wrote:Well, I'd expect given how Forest do their commentary (Colin Fray and Brian Laws) and how Clownty do theirs (Charlie Slater and Mark Stallard) that Jake Garner won't be just sat there doing it on his own?

So who will be his co-commentator? Obviously the other two Notts teams have ex-players there....but do we really have an ex-player who would go home and away with Jake?

What I am getting at here, is can't they give Craig that gig? He more than deserves it.

Agree entirely that Craig would be a good fit, and his imput useful
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:39 am

mtfcmatters wrote:
bear 73 wrote:Just feel gutted for Craig Priest he must be terribly disappointed, like many on the media side their heart and soull are in the club.

Thank you mate! I thought I'd pop on and clear up the 103.2 thing (as best I can) as I'm being asked here there and everywhere.

So it's worth starting off by saying that we (103) are very disappointed in the outcome and have been trying to strike a deal for a long time, so us not doing coverage is certainly NOT for the want of trying.

Many independent commercial stations don’t bother covering their local club because it’s not practically viable, where as we had BIG plans for this season, integrating the podcast more and making 103.2 really feel like a place Stags fans could rely on – creating content that captured the emotion of following Mansfield Town FC! Something I hope we did to a degree last season when I took over in November.

To do coverage of any form, there are two huge stumbling blocks; licencing/ costs, and an agreement with the club – and at this stage, those stumbling blocks can’t be passed, the second stumbling block is now obvious IMO as the BBC (as they have done with a number of football clubs this summer) have struck a deal - I wish them, and in particular Jake, who's a top lad, well.

Anyway, I don’t know exact figures, but the licencing cost is a big chunk to swallow, you’ve also got staffing costs to add to that which over the course of a season is a lot! Anyway, to cover that you need commercial sponsors and there wasn't one to the level that we’d need to proceed - even away from sports coverage, the sales team have a tough enough job getting people given the state of the financial world at the moment!

I do know that everyone behind the scenes at 103.2 has worked tirelessly to try and sort something, but as with everything – the deal needed to benefit all parties.

On a personal level, I'm gutted and a little bit broken - I'll be back on the terraces of course, but it's going to take me a while to enjoy it again - anyone who knows me will know why commentating on Stags games meant the world to me, I'm honored to have covered the majority of last season and to finish at Wembley with two good mates alongside me is something i'll cherish forever.

As for the Podcast, well that's another story! Doing the radio stuff really helped it to grow and to be honest, without it, I don't have as much drive to carry on doing it. BUT, I know that people enjoy listening and it gives me a reason (for my own mental health) to keep going to games, so for now - it continues, especially as there's not really any other shows out there for Stags fans which is why we started it six years ago anyway!

Thanks for the lovely comments dotted around the internet, again - best wishes to Jake & the team at the BBC for the next three seasons.

I don’t know you personally Craig, but what a heartfelt post. Really feel for you on the commentary side and wish you all the best for the future. Keep your chin up mate!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:06 am

Jake's co-commentator today is Craig Armstrong. I imagine they will also use Jon D'Laryea as he did the playoffs for them.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:12 am

stagmanrob wrote:Well, I'd expect given how Forest do their commentary (Colin Fray and Brian Laws) and how Clownty do theirs (Charlie Slater and Mark Stallard) that Jake Garner won't be just sat there doing it on his own?

that would be great, come on Radio Florest give the lad a break, let’s see young Craig as co pilot
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:16 am

Is this channell 95 -5 real it says it is currently unavailible time 10-12 , i thought Mansfield 103-2 was the local station.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:22 am

bear 73 wrote:Is this channell 95 -5 real it says it is currently unavailible time 10-12 , i thought Mansfield 103-2 was the local station.

95.5 is the FM frequency for the Mansfield area. The transmitter is at Fishpond Hill not far from King's Mill hospital, the same transmitter used for Mansfield 103.2
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:23 am

bear 73 wrote:Is this channell 95 -5 real it says it is currently unavailible time 10-12 , i thought Mansfield 103-2 was the local station.

If you don’t live in the Notts area, you may not be able to receive it due to signal strength.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:06 am

Martin Shaw wrote:Jake's co-commentator today is Craig Armstrong. I imagine they will also use Jon D'Laryea as he did the playoffs for them.

John was on 'In the Game' with Jake last night and says he's now player/coach with Nay Nay's team Newark and Sherwood Utd so more than likely will be involved with that side in the season on Saturdays
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby old ram stag » Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:51 pm

What's the link to buy it from Spain?
old ram stag
Manager
Manager

Postby robeyre » Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:59 pm

mtfcmatters wrote:
bear 73 wrote:Just feel gutted for Craig Priest he must be terribly disappointed, like many on the media side their heart and soull are in the club.

Thank you mate! I thought I'd pop on and clear up the 103.2 thing (as best I can) as I'm being asked here there and everywhere.

So it's worth starting off by saying that we (103) are very disappointed in the outcome and have been trying to strike a deal for a long time, so us not doing coverage is certainly NOT for the want of trying.

Many independent commercial stations don’t bother covering their local club because it’s not practically viable, where as we had BIG plans for this season, integrating the podcast more and making 103.2 really feel like a place Stags fans could rely on – creating content that captured the emotion of following Mansfield Town FC! Something I hope we did to a degree last season when I took over in November.

To do coverage of any form, there are two huge stumbling blocks; licencing/ costs, and an agreement with the club – and at this stage, those stumbling blocks can’t be passed, the second stumbling block is now obvious IMO as the BBC (as they have done with a number of football clubs this summer) have struck a deal - I wish them, and in particular Jake, who's a top lad, well.

Anyway, I don’t know exact figures, but the licencing cost is a big chunk to swallow, you’ve also got staffing costs to add to that which over the course of a season is a lot! Anyway, to cover that you need commercial sponsors and there wasn't one to the level that we’d need to proceed - even away from sports coverage, the sales team have a tough enough job getting people given the state of the financial world at the moment!

I do know that everyone behind the scenes at 103.2 has worked tirelessly to try and sort something, but as with everything – the deal needed to benefit all parties.

On a personal level, I'm gutted and a little bit broken - I'll be back on the terraces of course, but it's going to take me a while to enjoy it again - anyone who knows me will know why commentating on Stags games meant the world to me, I'm honored to have covered the majority of last season and to finish at Wembley with two good mates alongside me is something i'll cherish forever.

As for the Podcast, well that's another story! Doing the radio stuff really helped it to grow and to be honest, without it, I don't have as much drive to carry on doing it. BUT, I know that people enjoy listening and it gives me a reason (for my own mental health) to keep going to games, so for now - it continues, especially as there's not really any other shows out there for Stags fans which is why we started it six years ago anyway!

Thanks for the lovely comments dotted around the internet, again - best wishes to Jake & the team at the BBC for the next three seasons.

Good explanation and honest defence by a genuine Stags fan. Just a shame Mansfield 103.2 didn't take this view of Mansfield's value and significance 3 years ago. If they had then they wouldn't have given most fans the impression that they didn't care about our club. If they had maybe they would have retained this contract.
robeyre
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:33 pm

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:34 pm

fair to say the above has not gone down very well with some Notts County fans
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby HU7stag » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:36 pm

Tough luck to them. Non-league and Nottinghamshires 3rd best side.
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:43 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:fair to say the above has not gone down very well with some Notts County fans

Not sure why you say this. On Saturdays they still get DAB in non league and we are on the old FM band. Still clear where Radio Nottm priorities sit outside of Radio Red.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:50 pm

victor A block wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:fair to say the above has not gone down very well with some Notts County fans

Not sure why you say this. On Saturdays they still get DAB in non league and we are on the old FM band. Still clear where Radio Nottm priorities sit outside of Radio Red.

They're complaining because a lot of the oldies don't have internet access so will miss tomorrow's game and any others that clash.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:58 pm

victor A block wrote:

Have you tried getting DAB on a Gramophone?
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:03 pm

victor A block wrote:

No. Tomorrow Notts County commentary is only available online, not on the radio at all.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:19 pm

I meant they have a point. Forest are on 2 FM frequencies, DAB and freeview.

Why not give county a FM frequency?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum