{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

DJ Loan to Walsall

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: DJ Loan to Walsall

Postby stagmanrob » Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:36 pm

Stag95 wrote:
stagmanrob wrote:Looks like it's going to be a slow window according to Cloughie post Oldham.

Can see deadline day being busy for clubs if players further up the chain keep hanging on.

To be fair if this is our final squad I’m pretty happy with it now, I don’t think we need another forward. Maybe a CB but that’s not essential.

He said he'd prefer to be able to send Gale out on loan.

I do feel we are a striker short, it would be a big ask to expect Gale to step up if we have a lot of injuries in that department.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:49 pm

stagmanrob wrote:
Stag95 wrote:
stagmanrob wrote:Looks like it's going to be a slow window according to Cloughie post Oldham.

Can see deadline day being busy for clubs if players further up the chain keep hanging on.

To be fair if this is our final squad I’m pretty happy with it now, I don’t think we need another forward. Maybe a CB but that’s not essential.

He said he'd prefer to be able to send Gale out on loan.

I do feel we are a striker short, it would be a big ask to expect Gale to step up if we have a lot of injuries in that department.

He would need to step up at some point. If we have alot of injures and start we'll that would be the best time to chuck him in. Less pressure because we are already high in the league and because he wouldn't have the expectation on his shoulders. As opposed to last season.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:51 am

I’d rather give Gale some game time than bring in a youngster from the premiership/championship.

He has raw talent and needs games to develop to his potential. If we are going to develop him, he has to be given a chance or he will slip backwards and fade. As it stands, we have the capacity to get the lad on for minutes most games and I truly believe he is up to the task. Give him his head and let him go.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:44 am

just read Wasall had a 2 yr contract sorted & JR pulled it & would only agree to a 6 mth deal, i guess he thinks he will get more if he’s scoring in Jan
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Laney_MTFC » Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:14 am

Laney_MTFC
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:39 am

Maybe we pulled out due to the failure of brining in a replacement?

We allow him 6 months due to us not replacing him, see how we fare. If he does well and bangs in the goals and we need a striker desperately in January (very very difficult to sign that kind of player in January) then we have a choice. Sell him for money or have him banging goals in for us for the rest of the season.

Obviously, that relies on him scoring goals. If he doesn't and he flops there Walsall can get rid and we would be stuck with his wage until the end of the season. It's a risk. If it pays off could be a masterstroke.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:00 am

Even if Johnson does well at Walsall I highly doubt you’ll see him playing for us in the new year, ‘footballing reasons’ like Clough says. It’s likely hoping he does well to get more money in January.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:19 am

Apologies for the overexagerated post on this thread.

Interesting article on us backtracking. There's still risks with keeping DJ on loan. We may just be lumbered with his wages come Jan, while he's upsetting the applecart if Walsall send him back.

We could have capitalised on some form of compensation. It's swings and roundabouts I suppose.

It is an odd scenario whereby we loan other club's junior pros and we loan out our senior pros.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:34 am

The deal changing to a loan instead of a perm has likely impacted on our ability to get the attacker in we were looking at. This could be why Clough mentioned another player going out this week, an attempt to subsidise any move.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:42 am

Bids being rejected over past few weeks may suggest otherwise mind.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:13 am

MTFCMusings wrote:The deal changing to a loan instead of a perm has likely impacted on our ability to get the attacker in we were looking at. This could be why Clough mentioned another player going out this week, an attempt to subsidise any move.

Why would we change it to a loan then?
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:16 am

Could be because we think they are going to be challenging with us. Take him off them in Jan.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:18 am

:)

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:37 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:The deal changing to a loan instead of a perm has likely impacted on our ability to get the attacker in we were looking at. This could be why Clough mentioned another player going out this week, an attempt to subsidise any move.

No idea on the logic. Could JR be thinking there may be a bidding war if DJ does well?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:18 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Cleveland_Stag wrote:

No idea on the logic. Could JR be thinking there may be a bidding war if DJ does well?

It could be Walsall refused to match his current wage, so we pay DJ, that's how loans work and Walsall pay us what has been agreed between the two clubs.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag95 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:20 pm

oldweststander wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Cleveland_Stag wrote:

It could be Walsall refused to match his current wage, so we pay DJ, that's how loans work and Walsall pay us what has been agreed between the two clubs.

They had agree a 2-year deal with him. JR pulled out of the deal last minute and changed it to a loan. I can only imagine as others have said that they hope that he scores a few and there’s a bidding war for him in January. Also worth noting that both our games against Walsall come before January so he can’t play against us.

Also yes sometimes clubs don’t pay the full wage amount, but also sometimes pay a loan fee - so it works both ways.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby Elkesley Stag » Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:56 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Cleveland_Stag wrote:

from the players view it certainly got O'toole a better contract once his temp contract ended .

from a club point of view , Not sure if the transfer fee for a good player with half a season will be better than the current offer for a full season
Elkesley Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:58 pm

With his deal dunning out at the end of the season I would have thought his value would plummet.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:05 pm

We may have a extension clause.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Elkesley Stag » Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:33 pm

gazza1988 wrote:With his deal dunning out at the end of the season I would have thought his value would plummet.

Not if there are 2 or 3 other clubs interested
Elkesley Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby georgefostersbeard » Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:41 pm

It will be interesting to hear our side of this. I am not saying Michael Flynn is full of it but I understand that Barry Fry likes to stand next to him so he looks honest
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby bmthstag » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:01 pm

It may be that DJ wanted a payoff from us to go to Walsall and maybe JR wouldn’t sanction that so he’s gone on loan.

I’d guess it’s similar to the Pym situation.
bmthstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Billy the fish » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:15 pm

Conker wrote:Bids being rejected over past few weeks may suggest otherwise mind.

Not many clubs will be wanting to sell there striker less than a week to the season starting , expect a loan at best from a league or two higher up the pyramid..
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:34 pm

Billy the fish wrote:
Conker wrote:Bids being rejected over past few weeks may suggest otherwise mind.

Not many clubs will be wanting to sell there striker less than a week to the season starting , expect a loan at best from a league or two higher up the pyramid..

You make it sound like it's a bad thing signing players from higher leagues :lol:

Other teams will let strikers go, if they can get another player in to replace them. To say no one is gonna let a striker go a week before the season starts is daft, we literally just let one go on loan..
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:07 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Billy the fish wrote:

You make it sound like it's a bad thing signing players from higher leagues :lol:

Other teams will let strikers go, if they can get another player in to replace them. To say no one is gonna let a striker go a week before the season starts is daft, we literally just let one go on loan..

We’ve let a striker go who’s barely kicked a ball in anger for us hardly a key first team starter and it’s a wage off the books for 6 months . And nothing wrong with a loan striker if he’s going to improve what we have .
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum