{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Danny Johnson

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Danny Johnson

Postby mousemousemouse » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:07 am

Walsall fans are an odd bunch. I’ve never seen fans get so deep and philosophical about a player before

Suggesting that we’ve ruined his life etc

One fan in their forum was even saying it’s our fault because we didn’t kick up a stink when he went out on loan.

All very odd stuff

He was only going to sign for 6 months wasn’t he? And he’s taking home a good pay check.

Frustrating for all involved? Absolutely but I’m sure DJ is fine, he’s living up a pay cheque, hopefully the club look after him and he can move on in the summer
mousemousemouse
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:42 am

mousemousemouse wrote:Walsall fans are an odd bunch. I’ve never seen fans get so deep and philosophical about a player before

One fan in their forum was even saying it’s our fault because we didn’t kick up a stink when he went out on loan.

All very odd stuff

He was only going to sign for 6 months wasn’t he? And he’s taking home a good pay check.

Frustrating for all involved? Absolutely but I’m sure DJ is fine, he’s living up a pay cheque, hopefully the club look after him and he can move on in the summer

The solution was always in DJ’s hands. If he wasn’t happy here, he should have taken the opportunity to move when it was offered. He signed a contract and can’t expect the club to give him away if he isn’t satisfied with the reality of the position he holds.

I fully expect him to move to a conference club within the next couple of weeks with possibly no fee involved or at best a small one. I don’t think he will play for us again and now the deadline has passed, he is simply a drain on next year’s playing budget.

I applaud JR for sticking to his guns and not simply giving him to a promotion rival as to do so would have been on a level with the Clucas/Cheats fiasco.

From DJ’s point of view, he needs to put the whole sorry affair behind him and find a team where he will get plenty of game time and hopefully score plenty of goals thus putting himself in the shop window for next season. That obviously has to be in the conference or below.

I don’t see the outcome as our club winning but more not losing as it’s very sad all around.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:17 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
mousemousemouse wrote:Walsall fans are an odd bunch. I’ve never seen fans get so deep and philosophical about a player before

All very odd stuff

The solution was always in DJ’s hands. If he wasn’t happy here, he should have taken the opportunity to move when it was offered. He signed a contract and can’t expect the club to give him away if he isn’t satisfied with the reality of the position he holds.

I fully expect him to move to a conference club within the next couple of weeks with possibly no fee involved or at best a small one. I don’t think he will play for us again and now the deadline has passed, he is simply a drain on next year’s playing budget.

I applaud JR for sticking to his guns and not simply giving him to a promotion rival as to do so would have been on a level with the Clucas/Cheats fiasco.

From DJ’s point of view, he needs to put the whole sorry affair behind him and find a team where he will get plenty of game time and hopefully score plenty of goals thus putting himself in the shop window for next season. That obviously has to be in the conference or below.

I don’t see the outcome as our club winning but more not losing as it’s very sad all around.

I think you would loan him out to recoup some of his wages , surely he would have to accept if the club was local to us , surely clownty would be the option in there bid for promotion .

Cook said at the sheep dippers if they lost there million pound striker they would have to replace him , please JR don't let him go there.
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:25 pm

Have Mansfield dealt with player power Johnson messaging Walsall fans with a big thank you, while snubbing Stag fans.
With a forward line of Oates, Akins, Swan, Bowery, Knowles, Gale, Keillor Dunn, Maris all could play the striker role.
Johnson has to win over hearts and minds and he dont seem interested in making any effort.
But we have a management team who have worked with players over 25 years, so we are in good hands.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:01 pm

wink68 wrote:He's going to be dragging 3k a week for doing nothing. Not exactly going to be ringing the samaritons.

Money makes no difference when it comes to mental health issues.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:09 pm

He has been removed from league 2 and has a mountain to climb,
Nobody would be more pleased if he became a vital cog in the squad, the chance is there
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:31 pm

bear 73 wrote:Have Mansfield dealt with player power Johnson messaging Walsall fans with a big thank you, while snubbing Stag fans.
With a forward line of Oates, Akins, Swan, Bowery, Knowles, Gale, Keillor Dunn, Maris all could play the striker role.
Johnson has to win over hearts and minds and he dont seem interested in making any effort.
But we have a management team who have worked with players over 25 years, so we are in good hands.

Perch, JJ, Hewitt, Pym, Flinders, Clarke etc etc too.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:28 pm

Honestly don’t get what the fuss is about. He’s our player and we can play him whenever. I’m sure he’s professional enough to crack on with it. He might even get to prove a point (to Nigel) in the remaining games, which would be helpful.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:55 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:Honestly don’t get what the fuss is about. He’s our player and we can play him whenever. I’m sure he’s professional enough to crack on with it. He might even get to prove a point (to Nigel) in the remaining games, which would be helpful.

Whilst I truly hope that is what happens, and him staying with MTFC happens to benefit both him and the club, there's really been no winners in this sorry saga, so far.

I'm not sure if interviews with NC in the near future will provide some insight into 'what happens next' but it'll be good to have some indication of what it all means - not that anyone has a right to have it explained to them, of course. I'd say him starting matches would be a decent indicator but with increased competition up front, surely he's fell further down the pecking order than he was the first time?
Birminghamstag10
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby five to three » Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:58 pm

Game playing and bluff calling and no one has gained from it.
five to three
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Aspleystag » Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:32 pm

He is in the shop window so if he does play he will want to impress, otherwise he could end up just going back to Walsall.
Aspleystag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby oldweststander » Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:35 pm

There are no winners in the DJ affair.

Why the club wanted a fee foxes me, the saving on wages alone would have been around £75k if he's on £3k a week, don't forget we have to give him a months severance pay if he is freed.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:40 pm

oldweststander wrote:There are no winners in the DJ affair.

Why the club wanted a fee foxes me, the saving on wages alone would have been around £75k if he's on £3k a week, don't forget we have to give him a months severance pay if he is freed.

Walsall were willing, among a couple of other clubs to pay a fee. I think we wanted more from the saddlers due to being a potential play-off rival.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:58 pm

Birminghamstag10 wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:Honestly don’t get what the fuss is about. He’s our player and we can play him whenever. I’m sure he’s professional enough to crack on with it. He might even get to prove a point (to Nigel) in the remaining games, which would be helpful.

Whilst I truly hope that is what happens, and him staying with MTFC happens to benefit both him and the club, there's really been no winners in this sorry saga, so far.

I'm not sure if interviews with NC in the near future will provide some insight into 'what happens next' but it'll be good to have some indication of what it all means - not that anyone has a right to have it explained to them, of course. I'd say him starting matches would be a decent indicator but with increased competition up front, surely he's fell further down the pecking order than he was the first time?

I think you are right. Your first paragraph is spot on.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:29 pm

I said when this happened in the summer it was a crap idea and we should have sold him. It's all gone very sour.

Walsall could still sign him on loan again, and we could charge them for that. But they won't stump up mega bucks.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:32 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:I said when this happened in the summer it was a crap idea and we should have sold him. It's all gone very sour.

Walsall could still sign him on loan again, and we could charge them for that. But they won't stump up mega bucks.

How could they sign him on loan?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:34 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:I said when this happened in the summer it was a crap idea and we should have sold him. It's all gone very sour.

Might be wrong but I thought you could make loans after the transfer window shut.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:41 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Might be wrong but I thought you could make loans after the transfer window shut.

Not between EFL clubs.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:04 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

The "loan window" was stopped in 16/17 (or might have been the season before) to protect professional integrity of league. Got a good comment from Ian Holloway IIRC.

EDIT: It was 16/17. https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... -explained

"If my washing machine breaks, I shouldn’t have to wait until the end of the year to fix it. It’s madness. What happens if I haven’t got enough money to have two washing machines? Newcastle will have two or three, so they’ll be more efficient and I’ll be walking around in dirty clothes looking like a tramp." - Ian Holloway
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:56 pm

Well it's a blummin shower then int it.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:09 pm

DJ and his agent will be looking for a big signing on fee and big wages in the summer for a 2/2.5 year contract so any clubs wanting to sign him will still have to shell out big money.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:43 am

Conker wrote:
oldweststander wrote:There are no winners in the DJ affair.

Walsall were willing, among a couple of other clubs to pay a fee. I think we wanted more from the saddlers due to being a potential play-off rival.

It seems to me that Colchester and Hartlepool were willing to pay a fee that was acceptable to JR, but Walsall didn't want to pay as much. Add in that DJ only wanted to sign for Walsall, then JR (who's decision it was) decided not to sell him.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:55 am

It’s JR’s money. He clearly thinks he can take the hit. Looking at how he and his family cut about, I tend to think he can.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Fitzy499 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:49 am

I believe, and I might be completely wrong, DJ didn’t want to go back Walsall anyway, he has already got somewhere lined up in the summer where he wants to go. So if he was going to go anywhere this time around then it would have only been a short term contract/loan. We didn’t want him to go out on loan he didn’t want to go anywhere unless it was the club he wants that’s why the Walsall bid and others were turned down, not because they didn’t offer the right money but because the contract offer was too long for DJ
Fitzy499
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:35 am

Fitzy499 wrote:I believe, and I might be completely wrong, DJ didn’t want to go back Walsall anyway, he has already got somewhere lined up in the summer where he wants to go. So if he was going to go anywhere this time around then it would have only been a short term contract/loan. We didn’t want him to go out on loan he didn’t want to go anywhere unless it was the club he wants that’s why the Walsall bid and others were turned down, not because they didn’t offer the right money but because the contract offer was too long for DJ
But hasn't the Walsall manager said JR is the reason why their bid failed ?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum