{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

rumours on new signings

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: rumours on new signings

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:21 am

Beano wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Beano wrote:
broomo wrote:Only 4 players scored more than or "close to" 20 goals last season.

2 of them played for Forest Green. The other 2 played for sides who didn't go up. 1 missing out on the play offs.

The "we need a 20 goal a season man" is a myth.

Not sure I follow your logic here, you’ve destroyed your point of view with your own stats :crazy:

I assume the point is 3 out of 4 teams went up without a 20 goal a season striker, and 2 out of the 3 teams that did have one, didn’t go up.

Or 3/4’s of the 20 goal a season players were either promoted or involved in play offs, 2 of them won the title.

I’d sooner have a confident, prolific striker (or 2) in the ranks, than rely on everyone “chipping in”

Note*

These are purely my own views as a Mansfield Town supporter, I have never been involved in professional football management. I am expressing these opinions on a public message board within the rules established by the boards moderating team.

These views should no way be interpreted as to criticism of the manager Nigel Clough, or his dog Bobbie.

Love the disclaimer :lol:
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:34 am

Even the wrong ens on this forum would leave Bobbie out of it surely.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:48 am

I've heard Bobbie is being sold to Wrexham :lol:
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:53 am

gazza1988 wrote:I've heard Bobbie is being sold to Wrexham :lol:

Would that make him a sheep dog?
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:03 am

Yeah apparently Bobbie is too small so Clough is signing a great dane.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:04 am

So after all that any decent rumours on the incoming?
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:09 am

A Forest fan has messaged me to say Harbottle is due to travel with the first team squad to Spain this weekend. Not sure how true this is but just passing it on.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:13 am

Big yella wrote:So after all that any decent rumours on the incoming?

The only decent rumour is Jack Stretton, I think that was debunked?

Sedgwick and broomo seem to know but won't say until they've signed.

Clough said 2 players from a premier league clubs so we are undecided if that means forest or man utd.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:18 am

gazza1988 wrote:

Clough said 2 players from a premier league clubs so we are undecided if that means forest or man utd.

We also seem to have a good relationship with Newcastle.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:14 pm

oldweststander wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:

Doubt they know ,but good guesses .
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:28 pm

Could be longstaff again, stranger things have happened
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby maverick34 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:30 pm

CassellsCap wrote:Could be longstaff again, stranger things have happened

I think unless Longstaff now classes himself as either a defender or a forward, it's probably pretty safe to rule him out...
maverick34
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby AlanStag » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:40 pm

I think people forget how unsettled the team was last season. The only players who barely missed games were Bishop, Macca, Hawkins and Hewitt. The latter two still missed out through suspension/being benched. Even the likes of Oates, Quinn and O Toole who were our better players missed circa 10 league games each.
The likes of Maris, Clarke, Perch, Gordon, Lapslie, Akins and Wallace we’re not in the side for the majority of games for various reasons. All will hopefully be fully fit and available now.

With the benefit of a full pre season for a lot of players and a more settled, consistent team I think it’s entirely possible the defence improves and we score more goals without having to go on a spending spree.
AlanStag
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:43 pm

Why are we assuming these loan players are from the Tricky Trees?

Lets wait and see.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:56 pm

CassellsCap wrote:Could be longstaff again, stranger things have happened

100% wouldn’t want him back. I genuinely think our midfield will be a lot better this season with the addition of Boateng and the addition by subtraction of not having to carry around a passenger like Longstaff. Every game he plays he’s the smallest, weakest and slowest player on the pitch.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:59 pm

Bet longstaff will have a better season in a higher league. don't think he was cut out for L2 physically.

Still contributed with goals though, so he did give us something and wasn't completely useless like some would make out
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:14 pm

AlanStag wrote:I think people forget how unsettled the team was last season. The only players who barely missed games were Bishop, Macca, Hawkins and Hewitt. The latter two still missed out through suspension/being benched. Even the likes of Oates, Quinn and O Toole who were our better players missed circa 10 league games each.
The likes of Maris, Clarke, Perch, Gordon, Lapslie, Akins and Wallace we’re not in the side for the majority of games for various reasons. All will hopefully be fully fit and available now.

With the benefit of a full pre season for a lot of players and a more settled, consistent team I think it’s entirely possible the defence improves and we score more goals without having to go on a spending spree.

This.

Clough knows well that 9 out of 10 times that squad gets promoted automatically. It was pure bad luck with injuries that meant we didn't.

Also, to add to Broomo's point, the 20 goal striker thing is absolute nonsense. Everyone likes goals, but it doesn't matter where they come from. I'd rather have a balanced and bonded side that gets goals from all over than one which relies on a single striker. Clough builds sides that share the burden and it's clever.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:19 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:Bet longstaff will have a better season in a higher league. don't think he was cut out for L2 physically.

Still contributed with goals though, so he did give us something and wasn't completely useless like some would make out

Murphy was by far the biggest let down , both on paper should tear league 4 apart . But both turned out to be average at best and didn’t in my opinion really strengthen us , wouldn’t want either of them back .
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:21 pm

Billy the fish wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:Bet longstaff will have a better season in a higher league. don't think he was cut out for L2 physically.

Murphy was by far the biggest let down , both on paper should tear league 4 apart . But both turned out to be average at best and didn’t in my opinion really strengthen us , wouldn’t want either of them back .

Yes Murphy was disappointing I agree. I don't think he'll be back
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:05 pm

ParisStag wrote:
AlanStag wrote:I think people forget how unsettled the team was last season. The only players who barely missed games were Bishop, Macca, Hawkins and Hewitt. The latter two still missed out through suspension/being benched. Even the likes of Oates, Quinn and O Toole who were our better players missed circa 10 league games each.

This.

Clough knows well that 9 out of 10 times that squad gets promoted automatically. It was pure bad luck with injuries that meant we didn't.

Also, to add to Broomo's point, the 20 goal striker thing is absolute nonsense. Everyone likes goals, but it doesn't matter where they come from. I'd rather have a balanced and bonded side that gets goals from all over than one which relies on a single striker. Clough builds sides that share the burden and it's clever.

Have a look on the official site and go to the first team section. Look at who we have listed as forwards and then tell me we don’t need to strengthen up front.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:07 pm

If we think we only need a better August to October next season to go up then we're going to be sadly disappointed. The November to April run we had was record breaking so is also unlikely to be repeated.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:09 pm

daddycool wrote:
oldweststander wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:

Doubt they know ,but good guesses .

I don't need to guess.

Typically I'm happy enough to wait and see but when I know, I know.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:22 pm

well it’s certainly been a boring owd transfer window so far for the faithful !

or will we get a six o’clock surprise ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:27 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:well it’s certainly been a boring owd transfer window so far for the faithful !

or will we get a six o’clock surprise ?

When you only need 5/6 signings the window can be boring. I'm rather glad we don't have to have a rebuild again to be fair
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:11 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
ParisStag wrote:

This.

Have a look on the official site and go to the first team section. Look at who we have listed as forwards and then tell me we don’t need to strengthen up front.

To be fair, 2 are kids. 1 is transfer listed. 1 played mostly at CB (Which on the same website we have 5 total defenders but people agree we only need 6) 1 is a winger who, people who have watched him way more than I have, say is a right winger/wing-back. That leaves us with just 2 forwards Oates and Bowery.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum