{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

rumours on new signings

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: rumours on new signings

Postby Chrisuknottm » Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:14 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
adamstag wrote:Why bother paying for a scout when you can just get burtons rejects :lol:

Managers like to sign players they know, work well with, work in their system. I don't get why there's a negative connotation attached to Burton players signing.

Because neither Akins nor Murphy were up to the pace and standards we needed to get out of League 2 and were seemingly picked week after week despite both turning in pretty poor uninspiring performances in the run in especially. Wallace was OK coming off the bench but if you change a winning team make it better and did any of those three do that?
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:22 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
adamstag wrote:Why bother paying for a scout when you can just get burtons rejects :lol:

Managers like to sign players they know, work well with, work in their system. I don't get why there's a negative connotation attached to Burton players signing.

Because neither Akins nor Murphy were up to the pace and standards we needed to get out of League 2 and were seemingly picked week after week despite both turning in pretty poor uninspiring performances in the run in especially. Wallace was OK coming off the bench but if you change a winning team make it better and did any of those three do that?

So we just automatically write any signings from Burton off as rubbish? :lol:

(Even though Murphy wasn't signed from Burton) and I know he wasn't great but that's football.. Some signings work out, some don't. If Clough got them all right he wouldn't be our manager.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:33 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

So we just automatically write any signings from Burton off as rubbish? :lol:

(Even though Murphy wasn't signed from Burton) and I know he wasn't great but that's football.. Some signings work out, some don't. If Clough got them all right he wouldn't be our manager.

I don’t recall writing them off.

I said why have a scout when we get burtons rejects.

Also as previously stated, experience is good, lack of pace in the squad less so.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:56 pm

As some of you may have guessed I've spent the last 24 years on football forums.

Burton, Derby, Sheff Utd, Burton (again) and now Mansfield.

Never in those 24 years have I seen so many who think they're experts and I mean who genuinely believe it as there are on Stagsnet.

Who'd have thought it? Mansfield as the hotbed of football knowledge.

Take a day off lads and enjoy the summer, while the real experts get on with their job of building you a decent squad.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:17 pm

broomo wrote:As some of you may have guessed I've spent the last 24 years on football forums.

Never in those 24 years have I seen so many who think they're experts and I mean who genuinely believe it as there are on Stagsnet.

Take a day off lads and enjoy the summer, while the real experts get on with their job of building you a decent squad.

Did they all think you were a condesending strawberry too? ;)
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:25 pm

Sneag wrote:
broomo wrote:As some of you may have guessed I've spent the last 24 years on football forums.

Only the buffoons who thought they were geniuses.

The rest thought I was what I am. A decent lad who doesn't stand for bull.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:31 pm

Blades and Rams fans can be a tough crowd Craig from reading their forums.

I would be very happy with John Brayford who was Burton's Player of the Season. He's also won this award at Crewe and Derby. Surprisingly, it does not look like he has a promotion on his CV apart from 3 games for Sheff Utd in 2016-2017 so a promotion campaign could attract him for the end of his playing career. He seems to have mainly played in the middle of a back three or at right back for Burton last season. We could do with another left footed defender.

Whoscored

Strengths
Aerial Duels - Strong
Blocking the ball - Strong

Weaknesses
Passing - Weak
Tackling - Weak

John Brayford's Style of Play
Plays the ball off the ground often
Does not dive into tackles
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:02 pm

Look, the Cloughs aren’t going to forgive you for backstabbing them.

You’re just embarrassing yourself
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:10 pm

Beano wrote:

Take a day off lads and enjoy the summer, while the real experts get on with their job of building you a decent squad.[/quote

Broomo, you asked for that comment, chill out mate.

I for one value your comments and insight, forget what others post, they are only expressing their opinion.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:13 pm

So he's good in the air and getting in the way of shots, but poor at tackling and finding a teammate?

I mean they've got to put something as his weaknesses so may not be actually "weak" at them in relation to league 2 standards.

I dunno, clough wants value for money. There's not much "value" in so many older players. A smattering of experienced players amongst players in their prime and a few younger lads seems to work better for us. last season, experienced pros like Quinn and O'Toole transformed our season. DF had Olejnik Logan and Bishop(technically Ben Turner for a few months). Coxy had Marriott, Murray and Dempster.

Any further back an I'm unsure if they were older at the time. some I mentioned above may be a bit dicey.

I'm all for experience. We packed our team with as much experience as possible (both in age and playing on a big stage) and that didn't work in our favour at all.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:33 pm

oldweststander wrote:
Beano wrote:

Take a day off lads and enjoy the summer, while the real experts get on with their job of building you a decent squad.[/quote

Broomo, you asked for that comment, chill out mate.

I for one value your comments and insight, forget what others post, they are only expressing their opinion.

Fans up and down the country see their sides week in week out and see enough to make their opinions, are they managers, of course not. However, it doesn’t take einstein to establish last season we were short of pace for instance - so fans stating that they hope this is addressed in the summer is hardly crime of the century :lol:

of course folk will know that clough will know this (hopefully!) but as you correctly state out it’s opinion and comments on the team we all know and love.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:46 pm

It’s really obvious that the lack of pace cost us in certain games towards the end of last season.

Discussing that on a football forum does not make you “anti Clough.”

Broomo needs to grow up
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:48 pm

Looks like we have lined up Scott Flinders as our goalkeeper for next season.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:55 pm

broomo wrote:
Sneag wrote:

I'm by no means anti Clough quite the opposite in fact.

However, considering your main claim to fame is an abuse of the trust the Clough family placed in you, I don't think you are in any position to pass judgement on people who may not like Nigel's style of management.

Unlike you, they were Stags fans before Nige landed & unlike you they will be Stags fans when he's gone.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:00 pm

If we are going for age/experience at the back, then I can only assume he's going for the pace we desperately need up front or in attacking areas.

That may mean we turn into a bit of a defend deep, good on the break sort of side.

I worry that if there's no legs signed up at the top of the pitch, it will make Oates' mind up if anyone comes knocking. He can't do it all on his own.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:02 pm

stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:29 pm

stagmanrob wrote:

what we thinking, signed on a one year deal, back up or first team ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:33 pm

Initial 1 year deal. So likely an option on the contract to extend it. A solid option to have between the sticks.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:35 pm

competing for first team duties, ummm with Bish maybe ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:52 pm

Sneag wrote:
broomo wrote:
Sneag wrote:

I'm by no means anti Clough quite the opposite in fact.

However, considering your main claim to fame is an abuse of the trust the Clough family placed in you, I don't think you are in any position to pass judgement on people who may not like Nigel's style of management.

Unlike you, they were Stags fans before Nige landed & unlike you they will be Stags fans when he's gone.

Claim to fame? I certainly don't think I'm famous.

It's not about anti Clough, lets face it, anyone who is still anti Clough on here is an idiot.

I couldn't say anything during the season as whenever I did, someone would say I'm spoiling the atmosphere and that I should chill out and just enjoy the win. Perhaps ignoring the toxic atmosphere they were creating themselves.

I get it, no-one likes to be pulled up or told they are stupid. How dare I?

Over the last week or so though there are certain posters who have pulled it all apart. Poor players (even Quinn who has been simply brilliant) and of course going back to games we lost where the team selection was always woefully wrong. Strangely it's the same handful who kept getting it wrong as posters, but I get more stick for saying that than they get for being constantly negative.

At what point can I say that if not now? Should I just forget it happened and will happen again the first sign of a slightly dodgy result.

I'll just add this. Colchester, Swindon and Carlisle. Right those wrongs and we're up automatically.

Not bad for a team full of poor players.

As for what I (and just as much my "anonymous" mate) did when younger, they have forgiven me. I don't expect them ever to forget though and I agree and fully understand why.

You or anyone else won't upset me with that kind of comment as I agree with you and no doubt beat myself up about it much more than you ever could.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:55 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:competing for first team duties, ummm with Bish maybe ?

Competing with Mason for first choice keeper.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:58 pm

Definitely wouldn't call anyone from Burton a reject bloody hell

If he can sign players he knows and trusts over random gambles I'm all for it.

O'Toole saved our season according to many and were desperate to get him signed up

Akins will be dangerous next season, clubs already don't like playing against him

Wallace was solid and rarely put a foot wrong, bar putting two feet wrong and nearly getting sent off haha

Quin Is also arguably our best centre mid

I don't get the anti Burton stuff?
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Elkesley Stag » Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:03 pm

Akins will turn out to be a good sighing , it was just made at the wrong time .
Elkesley Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:06 pm

Akins, for me, is like Wallace. Both arrived having recently been injured and struggled. Get a pre season into both and we will see even more.

Wallace adapted having played games at York City for fitness. Akins was playing injured.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:20 pm

Beano wrote:

Well done broomo at least you had a story to tell a good read to, .
Theirs nothing embarrassing on here ,just opinions, which soon turns to name calling,
On a football issue, its nice to see some of us are putting Wembley behind us, but im not ready just yet, Hawkins still annoys me.
i always thought we had a strong bench, but we could not use it going down to ten men.
Time is a good healer, and i hear we have made our first signing.
Like you say summer is here and come July a hard slog starting for 2022/23
bear 73
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum