{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Akins

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Akins

Postby Sedgwick » Thu May 19, 2022 5:01 pm

m1cksut wrote:
zod wrote:
bear 73 wrote:
Hon Sec wrote:Sadly we have a lot of so called supporters that don’t really give some players a chance. Not all players join a new team and hit form straight away. We have to trust the management, and they should know more than most of us. But obviously some supporters know better.

Are these supporters England internationals, , played Football at the highest level, and Managed over 20 years professionally, have a team of experts behind them.
Some very wise people have said in Nigel We Trust, .

Don't be stupid, they are all multiple World Cup winners! :lol:

if you could clamber out of NCs colon for a moment?
until these two games akins had not lived up to his billing, and looked a liability most games, even the management agreed that he had to work so hard for a second touch as his first touch was so bad.
but, getting dropped for a game, and being played in a different position, he is starting to shine.
shame it took so long.
mick sutton, (multiple FA Cup winner, multiple League Champion, took MTFC from 4th division to European Cup victory in 5 successive seasons on Football Manager on the Commodore 64)

more of an ongoing joke rather than a comment or analysis on his performances at the time.. they know his first touch is crap, always has been but he makes up for it

was the exact same at Burton :lol:
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby m1cksut » Thu May 19, 2022 6:02 pm

Sedgwick wrote:more of an ongoing joke rather than a comment or analysis on his performances at the time.. they know his first touch is crap, always has been but he makes up for it

so, more truth than just an ongoing joke, then?
i realise, after watching lower league football for nearly 60 years that we dont see many world beaters at this level, not for long anyway, but it was more common to see journeymen, playing out the twilight of their careers, in div 3 and 4.
akins started here just like one of them, quality was in there, but it took some tugging out.
hopefully his recent goal, and now a couple of good performances, will galvanise him into showing his true worth.
my one regret is...i have no regrets!
m1cksut
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Thu May 19, 2022 6:12 pm

m1cksut wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:more of an ongoing joke rather than a comment or analysis on his performances at the time.. they know his first touch is crap, always has been but he makes up for it

i realise, after watching lower league football for nearly 60 years that we dont see many world beaters at this level, not for long anyway, but it was more common to see journeymen, playing out the twilight of their careers, in div 3 and 4.
akins started here just like one of them, quality was in there, but it took some tugging out.
hopefully his recent goal, and now a couple of good performances, will galvanise him into showing his true worth.

There was a post match comment from Nigel after Akins scored a worldy two touch volley about it not being a shot, just a first touch :lol:

I think its fair to say hes the opposite of Jimmy Spencer who has the best touch ive seen but bugger else :lol:
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Thu May 19, 2022 7:43 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
m1cksut wrote:

There was a post match comment from Nigel after Akins scored a worldy two touch volley about it not being a shot, just a first touch :lol:

I think its fair to say hes the opposite of Jimmy Spencer who has the best touch ive seen but bugger else :lol:

He can't be the opposite because he has neither a first touch OR bugger else.
He's been dire since he got here, absolutely dire. One swallow doesn't make a summer.
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Thu May 19, 2022 8:32 pm

He has not been dire. Part of the problem is that Clough insisted playing him beyond 60 minutes when he was unfit so he finished each of the games almost staggering.
Last edited by georgefostersbeard on Thu May 19, 2022 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Thu May 19, 2022 8:43 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:He has not been dire. Part of the problem is that Clough insisted paying him beyond 60 minutes when he was unfit so he finished each of the games almost staggering.

Yep, started the games on rollerskates and finished them staggering sounds about right.
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Thu May 19, 2022 9:01 pm

scotsstag wrote:
georgefostersbeard wrote:He has not been dire. Part of the problem is that Clough insisted paying him beyond 60 minutes when he was unfit so he finished each of the games almost staggering.

Yep, started the games on rollerskates and finished them staggering sounds about right.

Read it three times and still don't understand it.
He has not been as good as we wanted but to describe him as dire is ludicrous.
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Fri May 20, 2022 1:31 pm

He scored a good header and someone said it was a fluke :lol:

He will be loved next year no doubt, were all behind you Lucas
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Fri May 20, 2022 3:13 pm

Clough wanted to keep Akins so gave him a 3 year contract, When he came to Mansfield he wanted to bring Akins.
But in trying to tie him down he , shot himself in the foot and J-F-H would not let him go in the January 2021.
Clough tried again in the summer but J-F-H again would not release him he had another year contracted to Burton.
Akins was carrying a injury and J-F-H asked him to play and Akins has always gave his 100% commitment.
Finally in January after refusing him in 2 transfer windows, J-F-H gave way and let Akins leave Burton Albion.
On arriving here he has played Right back - Left back,- Centre forward, And his preferred position right wing back.
Judging players has back fired on here so much it is unbelievable,
Rawson, Hewitt, Hawkins, Oates, Murphy, Akins, Wallace, Longstaff, Clarke,, Bowery.
Am i sensitive.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Fri May 20, 2022 3:41 pm

bear 73 wrote:Judging players has back fired on here so much it is unbelievable,
Rawson, Hewitt, Hawkins, Oates, Murphy, Akins, Wallace, Longstaff, Clarke,, Bowery.
Am i sensitive.

It’s a discussion forum, if a player underperforms then everyone is free to discuss it (it’s in the title of the forum)

Likewise if a player has a good game, it’s discussed as such.

Players coming in with big reputations will (rightly or wrongly) be subject to higher expectations, and subsequently harsher criticism when they underperform.

Logging on to any fans forum in the country and not expecting criticism on players is at best naive, and I’m hoping you can provide a link to any forum (any one you like) where this doesn’t happen. Otherwise your constant griping and over sensitivity could be perceived as nothing more than trolling.

Over to you ;)
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Fri May 20, 2022 5:52 pm

bear 73 wrote:Clough wanted to keep Akins so gave him a 3 year contract, When he came to Mansfield he wanted to bring Akins.
But in trying to tie him down he , shot himself in the foot and J-F-H would not let him go in the January 2021.
Clough tried again in the summer but J-F-H again would not release him he had another year contracted to Burton.
Akins was carrying a injury and J-F-H asked him to play and Akins has always gave his 100% commitment.
Finally in January after refusing him in 2 transfer windows, J-F-H gave way and let Akins leave Burton Albion.
On arriving here he has played Right back - Left back,- Centre forward, And his preferred position right wing back.
Am i sensitive.

Bore off :banghead:
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Fri May 20, 2022 6:34 pm

bear 73 wrote:Clough wanted to keep Akins so gave him a 3 year contract, When he came to Mansfield he wanted to bring Akins.
Am i sensitive.

I stick up for Akins becuase it became a joke that even when he did something well, people just ignored it and kept the comments the same.

However, saying that judging players has backfired... you really don't understand the point of this place do you?
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby MOTG » Sat May 21, 2022 6:39 am

If he plays he will cause Port Vale problems
MOTG
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bear 73 » Sat May 21, 2022 1:18 pm

Beano wrote:
bear 73 wrote:Judging players has back fired on here so much it is unbelievable,
Am i sensitive.

It’s a discussion forum, if a player underperforms then everyone is free to discuss it (it’s in the title of the forum)

Players coming in with big reputations will (rightly or wrongly) be subject to higher expectations, and subsequently harsher criticism when they underperform.

Logging on to any fans forum in the country and not expecting criticism on players is at best naive, and I’m hoping you can provide a link to any forum (any one you like) where this doesn’t happen. Otherwise your constant griping and over sensitivity could be perceived as nothing more than trolling.

over to you ;)

All fans are entitled to a opinion and any fans forum has got rival supporters that can not wait to be negative and put a few seeds down to be picked up.on
Its nice to be a troll that seeks to be positive.
i am just pleased these players have gave us a good season,
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat May 21, 2022 1:46 pm

Anyway, back on topic….it’s good to see Akins playing well for a few games now. Hopefully he’s settled in. I said to my old man weeks ago “he will score us the promotion winning goal”……..only got a week to wait for it now. COYS!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Sat May 21, 2022 2:22 pm

bear 73 wrote:
Beano wrote:
Am i sensitive.

over to you ;)

All fans are entitled to a opinion and any fans forum has got rival supporters that can not wait to be negative and put a few seeds down to be picked up.on
Its nice to be a troll that seeks to be positive.
i am just pleased these players have gave us a good season,

You didn’t give any examples of any club’s forum where players are not criticised, but choose to pick on this one to vent your holier than though attitude.

You’re obviously not a Stags fan, so I’m struggling to figure out why you’ve singled out Stagsnet as a vehicle to relieve your obvious boredom.

We’re happy to be going to Wembley, you’re looking for smug points. Why not nip over to Blobs Bored and bother them for a while?
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sat May 21, 2022 3:13 pm

No point trying to respond, head in sand comes to mind.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Sun May 22, 2022 5:28 pm

Clough knows him and that was good enough for me
If honest not been over impressed with him but might be more to come from him if played in one position more maybe
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Cockney Stag » Wed May 25, 2022 10:32 am

I'll just say. I hope Bowery starts over Akins on Saturday.
Cockney Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed May 25, 2022 12:05 pm

Cockney Stag wrote:I'll just say. I hope Bowery starts over Akins on Saturday.

Have you sobered up now?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Cockney Stag » Wed May 25, 2022 12:39 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:

Have you sobered up now?

I feel like expanding anymore only invites ridiculous counter arguments. Such as "maybe you should be a football manager". So I figured I'd keep it brief.
Cockney Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFC Man » Wed May 25, 2022 4:23 pm

What about both like the Northampton second leg?
MTFC Man
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum