{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Bishop street stand

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Bishop street stand

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:12 pm

post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 am

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:04 am

I think I've seen that picture more than I've had hot dinners :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby HU7stag » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:32 am

And it looks flipping horrendous. I'd rather have the advertising hoardings there than that!
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:29 am

HU7stag wrote:And it looks flipping horrendous. I'd rather have the advertising hoardings there than that!

really ?!
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:29 am

HU7stag wrote:And it looks flipping horrendous. I'd rather have the advertising hoardings there than that!

You do realise it's only CGI and will look much better in real life?
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Upper West » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:33 am

The Bishop Street stand was used well after the Leeds match. I recall going to reserve matches around 2001/2 and the Bishop Street stand was the only one open. The wooden benches which were installed just after WW1 had been replaced with plastic seats which I think were backless.
Upper West
First Team
First Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:35 am

Upper West wrote:The Bishop Street stand was used well after the Leeds match. I recall going to reserve matches around 2001/2 and the Bishop Street stand was the only one open. The wooden benches which were installed just after WW1 had been replaced with plastic seats which I think were backless.

The last match that fans sat in it was the playoff against Northampton
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:34 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:https://www.shutterstock.com/editorial/image-editorial/general-view-inside-derelict-bishop-street-stand-10014194b

As an image, it's very poor. As a concept, also equally as poor. 5 rows isnt worth it.

It needs to be as steep as is legally possible in Order to enclose the ground. We can do better than that ancient study.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby wardy12345 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:00 pm

I carnt see misses Redford being happy with that design it’s smaller than the existing stand
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby zod » Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:10 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:https://www.shutterstock.com/editorial/image-editorial/general-view-inside-derelict-bishop-street-stand-10014194b

As an image, it's very poor. As a concept, also equally as poor. 5 rows isnt worth it.

But the areas behind the five rows of seats could be used for corporate tables etc?
I don't think it's been done as a proper study, looks like something I could knock up in five minutes on Autocad.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Amberheart » Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:48 pm

zod wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:

It’s a design from 20 years ago , there are a lot better designs available now
But the areas behind the five rows of seats could be used for corporate tables etc?
I don't think it's been done as a proper study, looks like something I could knock up in five minutes on Autocad.
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby Curry 9 Brace 7 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:14 pm

Anything would be an improvement on a wall of advertising boards with a shed on top
Curry 9 Brace 7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby adamstag » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:48 pm

I’m sure that image was designed in like 1987 or something :lol:
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:49 pm

Curry 9 Brace 7 wrote:Anything would be an improvement on a wall of advertising boards with a shed on top

Only if necessary.

The club will earn some real decent money out of advertising when you've potentially got 5,200 fans looking at it.

Why change it when there’s no need for it to look good on the eye, it’s a nonsense argument.

Only when and if it becomes financially viable should we do anything about it, and the reasons i’ve given are exactly why the club haven’t done anything to date
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby SeanieStag » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:37 pm

Fascinating photos, thanks for the link. There's not much room to do anything substantial. I still think a small safe standing section is what's needed with the big development being to fill in the corners to join the QLE and the NS to the main stand. For those worrying about missing out on revenue from all the advertising boards on the Bishop Street side, there will still be lots of space. You could advertise on the roof overhang as well as put some advertising up where the old scoreboard still stands. I understand the reluctance to build anything until the attendances rise and/or we get promotion but what I don't get is why it's not been demolished yet. It wouldn't cost a lot to level it and that way it at least looks like we're serious about developing it.
SeanieStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Cockney Stag » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:59 am

This is quite a good angle to show how hemmed in we are.

We could build a lopsided stand, ala Exeter, with a seated area closer to QLE. Then it could taper off into terracing towards the north stand.

I do agree though that perhaps priority 1, at least from a capacity perspective, is extending the ends, there are big old gaps in the corners.

Cockney Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby S7AGS » Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:32 am

I think filling the corners in from west stand to both ends would be the best way forward... the QLE end could then have a bigger shop incorporated into it

Was watching Forest the other night and it looks so much better when the ‘ends’ stretch out beyond the pitch... ours are barely wider than the pitch!

In future having a 2nd tier on the QLE would be nice also... although getting a bit ahead of ourselves!
S7AGS
First Team
First Team

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:46 am

we should be easily able to link the lower tier of the west to the QLE and North Stand - but I'd much rather we sorted the Bishop.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Boza Stag » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:36 am

I think the floodlights lower down onto the pitch when an inspection is needed , so any joining up would cause a problem .
Boza Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sneag » Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:23 am

Both the NS & the QLE have half blocks at either end, just completeing these to full sized blocks would up capacity by about 1,400 & make the ground look loads better.

As for the Bish, short term something like the new stand at Sutton running the lenth of the pitch may only add 800 seats but the improvement to the ground would be transformative.

Changes to the ends would nessecitate more toilets & better catering facilities. None of it wouldn't be cheap & SAG would have an absolute cow if the NS & IG only end up being 15 yards apart instead on 20.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:36 pm

adamstag wrote:
Curry 9 Brace 7 wrote:Anything would be an improvement on a wall of advertising boards with a shed on top

Only if necessary.

The club will earn some real decent money out of advertising when you've potentially got 5,200 fans looking at it.

Why change it when there’s no need for it to look good on the eye, it’s a nonsense argument.

Only when and if it becomes financially viable should we do anything about it, and the reasons i’ve given are exactly why the club haven’t done anything to date

We could use the new scoreboard for local business adverts?
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:22 pm

Build a Standing only stand for Bishop street cheapest option and will be fine for up to 4 years of Championship football for away fans.
Give the North Stand to home supporters meaning home fans behind both goals and the gate can be left open to the fan zone at Sandys bar.
After a couple of years in the Championship seats can be put into Bishop Street and corners can be looked at at if capacity needed to be maintained or increased
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Cockney Stag » Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:09 pm

Can anybody explain why safe standing is cheaper than ordinary seating?

You still have to install 1 seat per fan, so is the saving in cheaper seats?

Would the EFL allow us to replace a seated stand with a terrace? I know some clubs (like Exeter) have been able to replace terraces with newer terraces but I thought Plymouth had to upgrade their main stand to seating due to regulations that doesn't allow a "downgrade" to terracing?
Cockney Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby victor A block » Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:31 pm

We could probably create a little more space for a new stand on Bishop St if the pitch moved slightly towards the west stand, even losing a couple of rows of seats there.
There looks enough space in front of the gym, its the scoreboard end that is the problem. If possible buy the end 4 houses on the 2 streets. I'm sure our local MP could promise it.
Really don't like Exeter's new stand finishing just after the half way line. Id rather have fewer rows and go all the way across.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum