{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Nathan Bishop

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Nathan Bishop

Postby Seaside Shrimper » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:01 pm

Hi all.

Southend United supporter here in peace.

I was interested in peoples opinions on Nathan Bishops performances this season. I was excited when he was playing in the first team at my club and I was gutted when he left Southend to join Man Utd, although I obviously understand why he did.

Is he developing well? Is there any likelihood of him playing Premier League football ever?

Thanks all!
Seaside Shrimper
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Nathan Bishop

Postby yorkstag » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:06 pm

He’s doing well in my view and every chance of playing at a higher level - difficult to call how high in an age where top g/k tend to be 6.3 plus.

Many on here think he’s the best keeper in league 2. If you wanted to be picky you could say kicking could improve and some might say he could be more dominant in his 6 yard box.

We certainly wouldn’t want to lose him and has made a number of top class stops.
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Cockney Stag » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:13 pm

I think his basement should be Championship level if he continues to develop.

He's the same height as Jordan Pickford and only a few cm off Dean Henderson, so hopefully it won't be an issue with him.
Cockney Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bear 73 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:14 pm

last season i saw goalkeeping issues most matches, but this season like our defenders i trust him and like many think he has a bright future.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:19 pm

yorkstag wrote:He’s doing well in my view and every chance of playing at a higher level - difficult to call how high in an age where top g/k tend to be 6.3 plus.

Many on here think he’s the best keeper in league 2. If you wanted to be picky you could say kicking could improve and some might say he could be more dominant in his 6 yard box.

We certainly wouldn’t want to lose him and has made a number of top class stops.

needs to be more dominant in his 6yd box, come off his line & either punch or collect it, apart from that more than happy with him after some of the dross we have been served up in net after Mazza ;)
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Seaside Shrimper » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:50 pm

Thanks! Glad he is doing well

Good luck for the rest of the season. Looking forward to when we can play you again in the EFL!
Seaside Shrimper
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby cassellswasmagic » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:56 pm

Seaside Shrimper wrote:Thanks! Glad he is doing well

Good luck for the rest of the season. Looking forward to when we can play you again in the EFL!

Bishop is as steady as we could expect and imo I would love him to stay here long term. He makes the odd mistake like all keepers but makes a lot of incredibly good and important saves too. Best of luck getting back to league 2.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:18 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
yorkstag wrote:He’s doing well in my view and every chance of playing at a higher level - difficult to call how high in an age where top g/k tend to be 6.3 plus.

needs to be more dominant in his 6yd box, come off his line & either punch or collect it, apart from that more than happy with him after some of the dross we have been served up in net after Mazza ;)

he made a couple of very good, dominant punches at Barrow on Saturday.

For a young goalkeeper, he's doing extremely well. He has made the occasional mistake, but pretty much all keepers do.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby stagsfan6493 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:20 pm

Seaside Shrimper wrote:Hi all.

Southend United supporter here in peace.

I was interested in peoples opinions on Nathan Bishops performances this season. I was excited when he was playing in the first team at my club and I was gutted when he left Southend to join Man Utd, although I obviously understand why he did.

Is he developing well? Is there any likelihood of him playing Premier League football ever?

Thanks all!

I think he's class and way above League 2 level, I wouldn't be shocked to see him playing Championship football next season.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:32 pm

Good keeper for this level. Hope we can keep him should we get promoted. Seems to have settled in well
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:47 pm

Excellent keeper at this level, the best we've had for years. If we don't go up we won't have a chance to get him back here next season and even in league one we might struggle.

He's going to have a great career at Championship level and possibly above in my opinion.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag1 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:16 pm

Top class keeper and we wouldn't find one better at our level.
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:23 am

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:29 am

Get promoted to league one this season, get him on loan again next season, sign him on a free at the end of next season :lol: Easy!
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:03 pm

Being linked with a loan move to Derby for next season
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:36 pm

yellowstagsfan wrote:Being linked with a loan move to Derby for next season

You’ve just ruined this thread :lol:
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:44 pm

My favourite keeper since Marriot and before that, Hitchcock. I think he will easily make the Championship and possibly higher. Ramsdale looked poor at times and he’s a Gooner!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:46 pm

If McClaren goes to Man Utd Derby likely to get a few Utd loan players
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:33 pm

Overated, I like Bishop's enthusiasm, but the much maligned Conrad Logan was actually a better shot stopper.

Bishop's strong point is his kicking up field, but to play at an higher level he needs to improve both his shot stopping and his command of his 6 yard box.

Just because he's signed my Man Utd doesn't mean he's going to be a top keeper.

For example, look at the goal conceded at Carlisle !
Champions 1974-75, 1976-77, 2012-13

Freight Rover Trophy Winners 1986-87
KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:39 pm

Kevin Pilkington was number 2 to Peter Schmeichel at man utd.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:52 pm

Player of the season.

Yes hes not saved everything thats come his way, made some mistakes and looked a bit shaky in the odd game.... but thats why hes on loan in league two, not league one or the championship.

During our poor run he was the standout player.. often keeping the score down single handedly. Hes kept us in games so many times by pulling off some ridiculous saves, to say hes a poor shot stopper is so short sighted based on very few bad games.

Very young keeper who will continue to get better, this is really only he second full season in the mens game. I liked Logan personally, but Bishop is streets ahead.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:55 pm

Sedgwick wrote:Player of the season.

Yes hes not saved everything thats come his way, made some mistakes and looked a bit shaky in the odd game.... but thats why hes on loan in league two, not league one or the championship.

During our poor run he was the standout player.. often keeping the score down single handedly. Hes kept us in games so many times by pulling off some ridiculous saves, to say hes a poor shot stopper is so short sighted based on very few bad games.

Very young keeper who will continue to get better, this is really only he second full season in the mens game. I liked Logan personally, but Bishop is streets ahead.

Absolutely.

You can pop onto youtube and search goalkeeping errors from top goalkeepers and you'll find some howlers.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFC Man » Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:58 pm

KirkbyStag2 wrote:Overated, I like Bishop's enthusiasm, but the much maligned Conrad Logan was actually a better shot stopper.

Bishop's strong point is his kicking up field, but to play at an higher level he needs to improve both his shot stopping and his command of his 6 yard box.

Just because he's signed my Man Utd doesn't mean he's going to be a top keeper.

For example, look at the goal conceded at Carlisle !

For me his weakness is his kicking but I do agree he has conceded some poor goals especially lately but everyone makes mistakes and I think he's a very well rounded and high quality keeper for this level. As others have said, I won't be surprised if we see him playing in the Championship very soon.
MTFC Man
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:58 pm

Sedgwick wrote:Player of the season.

Player of the season :hysteria: :hysteria: :hysteria:

Do you actually go to the games ?
Champions 1974-75, 1976-77, 2012-13

Freight Rover Trophy Winners 1986-87
KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:00 pm

yellowstagsfan wrote:Being linked with a loan move to Derby for next season

Just on this, If Allsop stays like he wants to Bishop wont get a look in.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum