{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

What's our best 11?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

What's our best 11?

Postby MTFC Man » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:02 pm

Although I think Clough is making a versatile squad that can play many different formations with many capable players in every position, I was wondering if we were to make our best 11, what would it be?
MTFC Man
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Re: What's our best 11?

Postby Cockney Stag » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:04 pm

Bishop

Hewitt
O'Toole
Hawkins
Macca

Clarke
Maris
Stirk
Quinn

Oates
Bowery

I'd like to see Hawkins up front and Rawson in defence, but I don't know if on current form that would make us a better side. Ditto Charsley, Law and Lapslie.
Cockney Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Walton Stag » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:12 pm

Bishop.

Hewitt
Rawson
O’Toole
McLaughlin.

Akins
Stirk
Maris
Quinn
Oates

Hawkins.

Tough on Bowery, though..
Walton Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Stag95 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:28 pm

For me it’s this:

Bishop

Hewitt O’Toole Rawson McLaughlin

Clarke
Stirk Quinn
Maris

Bowery Oates

However if we change the formation that changes very quickly.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:32 pm

Ridiculously tough to pick. When all fit there’s 15 players that you could make a case for being in the best 11 at the moment in my opinion, and the supporting cast for the squad are decent too and can all contribute. A great position to be in as there will always be players missing for one reason or another.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFC Man » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:35 pm

Walton Stag wrote:Bishop.

Hewitt
Rawson
O’Toole
McLaughlin.

Akins
Stirk
Maris
Quinn
Oates

Hawkins.

Tough on Bowery, though..

Think Oates is so much better centrally because he gets chance to press the opposition defence and cause havoc though. Although it is extremely hard to fit everyone in where they prefer to be played I think its vital Oates is played centrally, however we did see him play wide second half against Walsall and I trust Cloughs judgement over mine
MTFC Man
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Rob » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:43 pm

Bishop
Hewitt Rawson O'Toole Macca
Akins Stirk Maris Quinn
Oates
Hawkins

That leaves us with the sort of bench we need, Lapslie, Bowery, Clarke, Johnson, Charsley, Nartey etc. There is a clear fight for places and the chance to rest players without the team being weakened. Cloughie is building a very, very strong squad.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby northern stag » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:45 pm

Rob wrote:Bishop
Hewitt Rawson O'Toole Macca
Akins Stirk Maris Quinn
Oates
Hawkins

That leaves us with the sort of bench we need, Lapslie, Bowery, Clarke, Johnson, Charsley, Nartey etc. There is a clear fight for places and the chance to rest players without the team being weakened. Cloughie is building a very, very strong squad.

Spot on !
northern stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:51 pm

Bishop

Hewitt
Rawson
O’Toole
Macca

Maris
Stirk
Quinn
Lapslie

Oates
Hawkins

I’ll leave Akins out until I’ve seen him play a few times in the flesh.

I hope that Sharpe and Clough are working on getting Maris and Macca to sign new deals with them being out of contract in the summer. I’m sure they will be doing, I was chatting to Lucas Akins’ agent earlier tonight and he spoke very highly of the job Sharpe and Clough are doing behind the scenes.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:05 pm

Cockney Stag wrote:Bishop

Hewitt
O'Toole
Hawkins
Macca

Clarke
Maris
Stirk
Quinn

Oates
Bowery

I'd like to see Hawkins up front and Rawson in defence, but I don't know if on current form that would make us a better side. Ditto Charsley, Law and Lapslie.

No Akins
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:16 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Bishop

Hewitt
Rawson
O’Toole
Macca

Maris
Stirk
Quinn
Lapslie

Oates
Hawkins

I hope that Sharpe and Clough are working on getting Maris and Macca to sign new deals with them being out of contract in the summer. I’m sure they will be doing, I was chatting to Lucas Akins’ agent earlier tonight and he spoke very highly of the job Sharpe and Clough are doing behind the scenes.

You'd leave Akins out? I get he might not start on Sat but he will be a starter very, very quickly. The question wasn't who would you pick on Sat, it was what is our best 11. Akins has not been signed, probably on very big money, to sit on the bench!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:19 pm

Bishop

Hewitt
O’Toole
Rawson
McLaughlin

Maris
Lapslie
Quinn

Akins
Hawkins
Oates
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:20 pm

Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Bishop

Hewitt
Rawson
O’Toole
Macca

Maris
Stirk
Quinn
Lapslie

Oates
Hawkins

You'd leave Akins out? I get he might not start on Sat but he will be a starter very, very quickly. The question wasn't who would you pick on Sat, it was what is our best 11. Akins has not been signed, probably on very big money, to sit on the bench!

I’m sure you’re right, but until I’ve seen him play a few times and what he can bring to the team, I can’t put him in the best eleven as I don’t know where he will best fit.

My instinct tells me on the right of a 4-3-3, in which case I would remove Lapslie or Stirk.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:36 pm

Clough has a pecking order of players.

He just picks his best 11 players who are available and then fits them into positions and a system.

That’s why Jamie Clarke didn’t get much game time as Nige didn’t feel he was in his best XI even when we didn’t have a proper right back available.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby ParisStag » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:14 am

I think we'll see this team at some point soon. Lapslie and Clarke are in danger.

Bishop

Hewitt
Rawson
Hawkins
Macca

O'Toole
Stirk
Quinn
Aikins

Bowery
Oates
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Nottsstag100 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:05 am

ParisStag wrote:I think we'll see this team at some point soon. Lapslie and Clarke are in danger.

Bishop

Hewitt
Rawson
Hawkins
Macca

O'Toole
Stirk
Quinn
Aikins

Bowery
Oates

MARIS??

for me bowery is at risk with Akins coming in, yes he is on good form however is he better than Akins... time will tell I guess
Nottsstag100
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Nottsstag100 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:07 am

Bish
hewitt Otoole Rawson macca
Maris Quinn Stirk
Oates Hawkins Akins
Nottsstag100
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Marky Mark » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:18 am

I know there’s lots of clamour to get Hawkins back up front, but I just don’t see NC doing it yet whilst we’re playing well, winning and scoring goals - with the front two playing so well within that. I think the current line up won’t change until it needs to, except for Akins coming in on the right at the expense of Clarke/Laps/Charsley - maybe injuries, a suspension or a dip in form will be when he changes it.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:52 am

Nottsstag100 wrote:
ParisStag wrote:I think we'll see this team at some point soon. Lapslie and Clarke are in danger.

Bishop

Hewitt
Rawson
Hawkins
Macca

O'Toole
Stirk
Quinn
Aikins

Bowery
Oates

MARIS??

for me bowery is at risk with Akins coming in, yes he is on good form however is he better than Akins... time will tell I guess

Oh yeah, I forgot our best player!
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:56 am

Marky Mark wrote:I know there’s lots of clamour to get Hawkins back up front, but I just don’t see NC doing it yet whilst we’re playing well, winning and scoring goals - with the front two playing so well within that. I think the current line up won’t change until it needs to, except for Akins coming in on the right at the expense of Clarke/Laps/Charsley - maybe injuries, a suspension or a dip in form will be when he changes it.

I think most of the clamour has come from the managers comments in post game press conferences. He’s mentioned pretty much every game he wants to get Hawkins back up top ASAP.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby Cockney Stag » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:03 am

The One wrote:

Hewitt
O'Toole
Hawkins
Macca

Clarke
Maris
Stirk
Quinn

Oates
Bowery

No Akins

This 11 has won 9/10 in league. Akins will for sure find himself in this side eventually but if you asked me to pick our best 11 right now I can't include him.
Cockney Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Cockney Stag » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:05 am

Marky Mark wrote:I know there’s lots of clamour to get Hawkins back up front, but I just don’t see NC doing it yet whilst we’re playing well, winning and scoring goals - with the front two playing so well within that. I think the current line up won’t change until it needs to, except for Akins coming in on the right at the expense of Clarke/Laps/Charsley - maybe injuries, a suspension or a dip in form will be when he changes it.

This is exactly my point. He won't want to change a winning formula unless required.
Cockney Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby ParisStag » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:07 am

Cockney Stag wrote:
The One wrote:

Hewitt
O'Toole
Hawkins
Macca

Clarke
Maris
Stirk
Quinn

Oates
Bowery

No Akins

This 11 has won 9/10 in league. Akins will for sure find himself in this side eventually but if you asked me to pick our best 11 right now I can't include him.

It hasn't been that exact team the whole time though. Rawson has played some, Clarke and Stirk have had injuries. Clough has made small tweaks to it at times. Aikins would be one small tweak. He may not be ready for Saturday, but then again he may be so glad to have him after over a year of trying, that he throws him in. .
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:35 am

I think Bish, Macca, Maris, Quinn, Oates, Hawkins are all assured of a place no matter what the formation.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:50 am

I worry for Ollie Clarke tbh
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum