{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Corey O'Keeffe

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Corey O'Keeffe

Postby dale1968 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:22 pm

Hi Stags fans Dale fan in peace here.
I am aware that his loan spell is due to come to an end shortly and wanted to gain any opinions on wether Mansfield would let us extend his loan
for the remainder of the season?
I dont really know what has gone on with your Gaffer to prompt his exclusion from your team but I would love to keep him here on a permanent basis
as he has been a real asset to us and seems to have settled very well.
Thanks And Merry Christmas
dale1968
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Corey O'Keefe

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:40 pm

I can’t see us recalling him and have no idea why he isn’t in our plans.

The option to buy may be our favoured outcome and I think we have an extra year option on his contract (not 100% sure). If you don’t fancy paying a fee and think you can sign him for nothing in the summer, I’m sure there are plenty of other clubs we could loan him to for the second half of the season and also plenty of conference clubs who would be willing to buy him.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:42 pm

official view is , he is a good player but does not fit in to our managers style of player and therefore would not get many starts here .O'keefe himself wants to play first team football so it was agreed he should go elsewhere . Clough has started to vary his tactics with a fair bit of success so may consider O'keefe for cover , Cant see Corey wanting to come back for cover . Be suprised if he does not stay with Rochdale
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag95 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:51 pm

He’d fit perfectly into the 3 at the back we’ve been playing recently. The general consensus here is that the majority of fans want him back and playing in our side, but if Clough doesn’t rate him then we trust his judgement. Clearly been very good for you lot though.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:00 pm

More importantly dale1968, will the chippy be open on new year's day?

Can't see O'Keefe coming back here, the whole thing has been a bit odd, I guess there's something we don't know.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Re: Corey O'Keeffe

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:38 pm

I consider the manager’s treatment of O’Keefe to be shoddy in the extreme. I can’t see him admitting he got it wrong but I’m happy if he proves me wrong.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby dale1968 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:39 pm

Thanks guys.
PS: If the game goes ahead the Chippy should be open..
dale1968
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Dan » Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:01 pm

When I came over for the Notts County game it was on a Sunday and the chippy was open then so I would imagine it will be.

I was also told Corey was there until May by someone there so make of that what you will.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:57 am

Stag95 wrote:He’d fit perfectly into the 3 at the back we’ve been playing recently. The general consensus here is that the majority of fans want him back and playing in our side, but if Clough doesn’t rate him then we trust his judgement. Clearly been very good for you lot though.

If he doesn't its a shame, but on preseason/ training he probably didnt see enough.. He said why he went out on loan, hes young, promising and needed games playing at wing back where hes best rather than just right back in a 4. An offer to buy him in the summer came in and they opted for a short term loan, now to me that says they do rate him and based on what they've seen he was rightly behind Gordon and Perch as the clubs RB.

Heard mixed things from hes off and they've agreed a deal to dale not wanting to pay a penny for a player they will get free in the summer and wanting to extend his loan. Dale fans very keen to keep hold of him.

Interested to see what happens with him, because hes been very good at wingback for them and now were playing that system we could do with him!

Clough might not be interested, who knows? But from Sharpes point of view we have a promising young player that will have value that we wont want to lose out on, either with a fee (anything decent would be good as we paid nowt for him) or to have him as an asset playing well in our team.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:10 am

bellwhiff wrote:I consider the manager’s treatment of O’Keefe to be shoddy in the extreme. I can’t see him admitting he got it wrong but I’m happy if he proves me wrong.

How do you come to that conclusion, there's nothing to indicate that. We have no knowledge of what is behind this scenario other than the manager's diplomatic "he doesn't fit into the system we want to play" statement.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby MHStag » Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:17 am

Really rated him when he joined us, feel like he could be a really good player for us. Seen his name in League 2 Team of the Week so imagine he's been doing pretty well for Rochdale.

Anyway, don't see us wanting 3 senior RBs, but I wonder if he could provide competition with Charlsey at RM. I'd be surprised if we do go out of our way to keep him, though.
MHStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:35 am

oldweststander wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:I consider the manager’s treatment of O’Keefe to be shoddy in the extreme. I can’t see him admitting he got it wrong but I’m happy if he proves me wrong.

How do you come to that conclusion, there's nothing to indicate that. We have no knowledge of what is behind this scenario other than the manager's diplomatic "he doesn't fit into the system we want to play" statement.

We definitely haven’t treated him shoddily imo. That’s football Belly!!! We might never know the reason why he’s at Dale on not here.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:12 am

cassellswasmagic wrote:
oldweststander wrote:

We definitely haven’t treated him shoddily imo. That’s football Belly!!! We might never know the reason why he’s at Dale on not here.

The reason he's at Dale and not with us is because the manager simply doesn't fancy him and it's better for all concerned that someone else is paying his wages and he's getting a run out. I don't understand it either, as I've said before, but that's all that it is - not everything we cant fathom has to be an episode of Eastenders with a full dramatic storyline. Get outta my club.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:18 am

cassellswasmagic wrote:
oldweststander wrote:

It would have been shoddy to keep him here sat in the stands. Sending him off on loan, only until Jan is Smart...Hes done well so personally would like him back in our team... I just don't think anyone can quite work out what is coming next with him.

Get a fee for him, good
Get him back in our 11 and keep the running going, good

Let him extend his loan and sign for free in the summer, bad (If he goes on to do very well)
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:16 am

I'd have him at RWB or in Charlsleys place who lets be rate adds nothing other than running a lot.....
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:46 am

All I can recall is that at the start of 20/21 Season according to Martin's reports he had several good games even though the team as a whole were under performing. When Mr Clough took charge I can't remember him starting once although he was on the bench a couple of times and eventually he was sent out on loan. I can only surmise why he was not thought suitable as a first team prospect by the Manager but ultimately only the Manager and player know the real story..Do I think he was given a Fair and reasonable chance by the Manager? on the face of it No..Has the player proved he is good enough for a first team place in a League 2 side.. Yes.. according to Dales reports..do we need him at the moment? ..No.. did we need him a few weeks ago with all the injuries and illness..Yes..the best of luck Corey wherever the future takes you
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby AJStag » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:32 am

I think you do Harry Charsley a disservice with your appraisal Captain and suspect his fellow squad members and the Management appreciate what he brings to the table.
AJStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:16 pm

I'm sure they do AJ but he would be nowhere near our first 11 when all fit would he ?
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby AJStag » Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:31 pm

NC generally favours a high press and Charsley plays that role to a tee. Granted you'd be surprised to see him best three men and lash one into the top corner but since signing he has scored a few from wide midfield and has assists to his name. The overall plus points of pressing aren't always specific but generally of course lead to mistakes by our opponents which in turn help out cause.
AJStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby AJStag » Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:51 pm

Beat three men and our cause ! Should have gone to Specsavers. Possibly not a starter if everyone is fit but your phrase nowhere near the 1st XI is harsh for me.
AJStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby halifaxstag » Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:14 pm

O’Keefe started off well, starting 6 league games and 4 cup/trophy games under Coughlan mostly as RWB in a five man defence ( once? at LWB). He lost his place when having to self isolate due to being a close contact of Mal Benning who got COVID.
After Coughlan was sacked Cooper went to a back 4 and he obviously didn’t fit into that system/ wasn’t first choice in any position. He made 7 sub appearances under Cooper and Clough.
Apart from his first 2 matches when he got a 9 and a 7.5 from Martin he was generally criticised for defensive mistakes although he was good going forward/ crossing. From my memory, he got away with a lot of defensive mistakes due to his pace allowing him to get back.
His last match was at RB against Cheltenham in the Cup ( did ok 6.5 from Martin) although he was an unused sub on a number of occasions. Clough preferred Perch or Gordon as a RB in a four man defence.
I think Clough was honest at the time he went on loan, saying that he didn’t fit into the preferred system and wanted game time.
He has obviously done well at Rochdale and would stand a good chance of playing if/ when we play a back three. He would be competing with Charsley/ Lapslie/ Bowery for a right sided position. Hewitt is much more versatile ( and also vastly improved) and can play in a back three and switch to RB in a four.
Clough will obviously have watched Rochdale’s matches as well as getting updates. He will make his mind up before the end of O’Keefe’s contract. He is 24 in June and should be wanting a regular place at whatever club he is playing for, so the choice may not be Clough’s to make.
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:49 am

Captain Cunno wrote:I'd have him at RWB or in Charlsleys place who lets be rate adds nothing other than running a lot.....

Agreed.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:33 pm

what date they officially return as our players ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:35 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:what date they officially return as our players ?

I thought that if we didn’t call them back by the 15th January, then we couldn’t call them back.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:40 pm

part time pete wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:what date they officially return as our players ?

I thought that if we didn’t call them back by the 15th January, then we couldn’t call them back.

O'Keeffe is on loan until January. The exact date was not announced. Nigel Clough will have to decide if he wants O'Keeffe back in his squad, or extend the loan to the end of the season, or agree a permanent deal to sell him to Rochdale, or sell him or loan him to another club.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum