{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Average player ratings so far

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Average player ratings so far

Postby part time pete » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:30 pm

Here are Martin's average players ratings so far ( not including the Crawley game)

Players must have started at least 10 games to be in the list.

Number in brackets is the number of games started.

7.25 Quinn (14)
7.24 McLaughlin (19)
7.22 Hawkins (18)
7.03 Oates (15)
6.88 Bishop (20)
6.87 Clarke O. (19)
6.76 Maris (17)
6.75 Rawson (16)
6.63 Charsley (12)
6.53 Lapslie (15)
6.50 Hewitt (16)
6.45 Johnson (11)
5.83 Bowery (12)

Don't think there are any surprises in the order. Martin's average for the team is 6.72
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Re: Average player ratings so far

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:39 pm

A few of my mates having conversation yesterday about player of the season so far, I said out of the top 3 and Bishop.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:41 pm

Here are the fan's (eggy) average players ratings so far ( not including the Crawley game)

Players must have started at least 10 games to be in the list.

Number in brackets is the number of games started.

7.32 Bishop (20)
7.23 Quinn (14)
7.17 Hawkins (18)
7.11 McLaughlin (19)
6.90 Maris (17)
6.85 Oates (15)
6.77 Rawson (16)
6.71 Charsley (12)
6.59 Clarke O. (19)
6.54 Lapslie (15)
6.52 Hewitt (16)
6.35 Johnson (11)
5.93 Bowery (12)

The main difference seems is that the fans don't rate Ollie Clarke compared to Martin, but do rate Bishop.
Fan's average for the team is 6.75
part time pete

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:34 pm

:lol:

I said in the Crawley programme that Bishop has been our best player this season!

The problem with just taking an average of the ratings is that if a keeper has nothing to do in a game, I can only give him 6. That brings his average down.

(take the Sutton game as an example, he conceded two goals where he had no chance, and did not have anything else to do in the entire game. I gave him 6 for that. The fans score for that game is 6.73)

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby part time pete » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:47 pm

perhaps if Bishop does nothing wrong at all in a game then his mark should start at 7.
part time pete

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:53 pm

part time pete wrote:perhaps if Bishop does nothing wrong at all in a game then his mark should start at 7.

if a keeper does nothing wrong, keeps a clean sheet, and has some good handling, I would probably give a 7.

That's not the scenario where I've marked him as a 6

Take the Sutton game as an example, he conceded two goals where he had no chance, and did not have anything else to do in the entire game. I gave him 6 for that. The fans score for that game is 6.73

Another game where's there a big difference in rating: Exeter.
I gave him 6 One good save at the start of the second half. Could have done better with the second goal when Jay’s header got past him.
The fans score is 6.96.
He made one good save and was culpable for the Exeter winner in my opinion, and mentioned by Nigel Clough (a rare occasion when he could have done better on a goal conceded)
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Rob » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:56 pm

I think Hawkins has been our best player this season, he has been asked to play in a different (to what he was signed for) defensive role and has done well, but clearly he is also our best option in attack. Bishop has done well but has not been perfect and has made a few errors (as most keepers do of course), he is up there but for me just behind Macca. Quinn is clearly our best player but his 6 game ban has been so costly and it really was very poor from someone as experienced as him - I suspect he may still end up being our player of the year come May though. Lapslie has been the most disappointing but I am sure he will come good. Hewitt wins most improved.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:00 pm

For me best players - Bishop, Hawkins, Macca in no particular order
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:42 pm

Hawkins stands out a mile as player of the season

biggest disappointment to date got to DJ
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:11 am

Rob wrote:I think Hawkins has been our best player this season, he has been asked to play in a different (to what he was signed for) defensive role and has done well, but clearly he is also our best option in attack. Bishop has done well but has not been perfect and has made a few errors (as most keepers do of course), he is up there but for me just behind Macca. Quinn is clearly our best player but his 6 game ban has been so costly and it really was very poor from someone as experienced as him - I suspect he may still end up being our player of the year come May though. Lapslie has been the most disappointing but I am sure he will come good. Hewitt wins most improved.

Agree. Although it’s a bit harsh on Bishop who has kept us in a few games, Hawkins has been colossal wherever he’s been asked to play.

If I was to vote right now, Hawkins would get it for me.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:45 am

That was a pretty well written and good summary from our camp in the Program there martin - was it written pre-Sutton? despite that ananomous performance i'd say what was in the article still held true.

I'd agree that Hawkins is our best player so far, difficult to separate him and Quinn but Quinn saw himself out for 6 games so he can't be praised for that even if he is clearly quality.

After the shaky start, Hewitt has settled right down into the role lately now he's got a consistent run in the side. Saying that, I think that George Lapslie and Tyrese Sinclair have gone backwards this season. Maybe an unfair comment given they are young lads but they looked really good last season and haven't reached expectation so far.

Finally, I do feel that had poor old James Perch not been so badly injured we might not have gone on the run, and also hindsight is 20/20, but if we could have signed JJOT sooner that would have helped because he's been a real calming influence on the side, steadied the defence and popped up with goals.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:02 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:That was a pretty well written and good summary from our camp in the Program there martin - was it written pre-Sutton? despite that ananomous performance i'd say what was in the article still held true.

I'd agree that Hawkins is our best player so far, difficult to separate him and Quinn but Quinn saw himself out for 6 games so he can't be praised for that even if he is clearly quality.

thanks. Yes it was pre-Sutton due to their print deadlines.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Rob » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:49 am

bellwhiff wrote:
Rob wrote:I think Hawkins has been our best player this season, he has been asked to play in a different (to what he was signed for) defensive role and has done well, but clearly he is also our best option in attack. Bishop has done well but has not been perfect and has made a few errors (as most keepers do of course), he is up there but for me just behind Macca. Quinn is clearly our best player but his 6 game ban has been so costly and it really was very poor from someone as experienced as him - I suspect he may still end up being our player of the year come May though. Lapslie has been the most disappointing but I am sure he will come good. Hewitt wins most improved.

Agree. Although it’s a bit harsh on Bishop who has kept us in a few games, Hawkins has been colossal wherever he’s been asked to play.

If I was to vote right now, Hawkins would get it for me.

I certainly wasn't meaning to be harsh on Bishop, he's been terrific and is clearly our best keeper since Marriott. I'd go Macca just ahead in the top three though for two reasons, firstly he has barely had a poor game, secondly his transformation since moving to left back has been pretty astounding.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:31 pm

Agree. He’s turned it round massively.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:02 pm

Quinn would almost have certainly played the 6 games he missed, shouldn't he have been rated 0 for these 6 games?
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby HU7stag » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:36 pm

But how can he be rated in games he didn't play in?
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:06 pm

Hawkins has pretty much saved our season. Right behind him are Quinn and Bishop imo. Hawkins has been fantastic at the back in his un-favoured position and great upfront. Just when we needed it. His through ball to Oates last week was sublime. We need to keep Quinn fit because he’s the leader and we missed him when he was banned. On Bishop, he’s the best by a mile we’ve had since Marriot. We’ve got the nucleus of a very good side, just hope we keep playing well now.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum