{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Does Nigel have a clue ?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Does Nigel have a clue ?

Postby Stag on Trent » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:24 am

He can't pick a team or set one up to beat National League promotees? He has lost all the matches against Harrogate,Barrow and now Sutton. Even allowing for his horrendous injury list he had enough players in last night's squad to have beaten a poor side like Sutton.
Stag on Trent
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Does Nigel have a clue ?

Postby broomo » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:30 am

I think I heard or read it's the first time in 40 odd years Stags have won 5 games in a row in all competitions?

No he doesn't have a clue. He probably tells the lads to stop doing what they've been doing the minute we go on a decent run.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:42 am

broomo wrote:I think I heard or read it's the first time in 40 odd years Stags have won 5 games in a row in all competitions?

No he doesn't have a clue. He probably tells the lads to stop doing what they've been doing the minute we go on a decent run.

40 years ?

You show again that you know nothing.

Check out when we won the Conference
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:43 am

Poor side like Sutton? What are you basing that off exactly, their small ground? Recently non league? Theyre doing well for a reason. We have no divine right to beat anyone

Does he have a clue? Based on many things in his professional career Id say yes, more of a clue than you.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:47 am

bellwhiff wrote:
broomo wrote:I think I heard or read it's the first time in 40 odd years Stags have won 5 games in a row in all competitions?

40 years ?

Did "you" win your FA Cup game during that 5 match (or probably longer) winning streak?

5 games across all competitions was the quote and I didn't come up with the quote. Someone else did.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:47 am

Stag on Trent wrote:He can't pick a team or set one up to beat National League promotees? He has lost all the matches against Harrogate,Barrow and now Sutton. Even allowing for his horrendous injury list he had enough players in last night's squad to have beaten a poor side like Sutton.

Are you another Spireshite troll?

Sutton are 7th in the league with a good home record. You should respect that fact.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:49 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
Stag on Trent wrote:He can't pick a team or set one up to beat National League promotees? He has lost all the matches against Harrogate,Barrow and now Sutton. Even allowing for his horrendous injury list he had enough players in last night's squad to have beaten a poor side like Sutton.

Sutton are 7th in the league with a good home record. You should respect that fact.

Nah no chance, some dimwits genuinely think we should be top 3 and steam roll smaller clubs its actually flipping hilarious. Can guarantee fans watching last night thought it was nailed on three points just because of who we were playing.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:03 am

broomo wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

40 years ?

Did "you" win your FA Cup game during that 5 match (or probably longer) winning streak?

5 games across all competitions was the quote and I didn't come up with the quote. Someone else did.

2013 we won 12 (I think) in a row in all competitions.

But you wouldn’t know that.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:05 am

broomo wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

40 years ?

Broomo

The conference winning season was 2012 -13 and we won 20 out of 23 league games from January onwards (if memory serves correctly). I’m pretty certain our longest streak was 12 consecutive league wins.

Full details are in the match centre above in the reports section.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:07 am

bellwhiff wrote:
broomo wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

40 years ?

2013 we won 12 (I think) in a row in all competitions.

But you wouldn’t know that.

12/13 you won 12 in a row in the Conference, all league games. No cup games involved.

And I would know that. You know why I would know it?

I'd know it because it equalled the record for the most consecutive wins in the Conference.

You know whose record it equalled? Nigel Clough's Burton Albion.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:11 am

Sedgwick wrote:

Nah no chance, some dimwits genuinely think we should be top 3 and steam roll smaller clubs its actually flipping hilarious. Can guarantee fans watching last night thought it was nailed on three points just because of who we were playing.

What I admired about Sutton was that they seemed fitter, faster, stronger and more tenacious and aggressive. I can forgive a team being better than us in ability. But what got Sutton the win wasn't ability it was physicality and attitude. For me, we should never be out gunned in that respect.

That's what was disappointing and being 2nd best across the park at a place like Gander Green Lane will call any manager into question regardless of who it is, because that ground was probably the worst in the football league and it kind of sets an expectation. seeing it makes any 'bigger club' expect to win against such a tinpot club. That sets teams up for a fall. Sutton got right in our faces and we didn't like it and couldn't match it.

Same goes for Barrow and Harrogate.

Hence threads like this. Like I said elsewhere last night puts Clough back in the cross-hairs.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:11 am

broomo wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

40 years ?

Broomo

The conference winning season was 2012 -13 and we won 20 out of 23 league games from January onwards (if memory serves correctly). I’m pretty certain our longest streak was 12 consecutive league wins.

Full details are in the match centre above in the reports section.

I know it's not 40 years since you or even "we" won 5 in a row Sandy, "we" did it last season under Nigel.

The stat I mentioned I'd read, although quirky, was including the FA cup. Not league only.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:18 am

It was the first time we we'd won 5 in a row in all comps since Steve Evans 5 years ago. In fact it was nearly the same run, started with checkatrade trophy win against Everton u23s(Harry Charsley played for Everton that game) it also included a FA Cup 1st round win vs Shaw Lane and 3 league victories.

That was mention in an interview I think it was Mondays.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:49 am

gazza1988 wrote:It was the first time we we'd won 5 in a row in all comps since Steve Evans 5 years ago. In fact it was nearly the same run, started with checkatrade trophy win against Everton u23s(Harry Charsley played for Everton that game) it also included a FA Cup 1st round win vs Shaw Lane and 3 league victories.

it was 4 years ago. It was in my report on Saturday, the first paragragh. I gave the stat to Mark and he quoted it in the interview with Nigel Clough on Monday.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:53 am

Yes 4, feels a lifetime away in honesty.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:24 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:It was the first time we we'd won 5 in a row in all comps since Steve Evans 5 years ago. In fact it was nearly the same run, started with checkatrade trophy win against Everton u23s(Harry Charsley played for Everton that game) it also included a FA Cup 1st round win vs Shaw Lane and 3 league victories.

it was 4 years ago. It was in my report on Saturday, the first paragragh. I gave the stat to Mark and he quoted it in the interview with Nigel Clough on Monday.

Hands up. I went in two footed.

I read that article and one on the BBC and somehow saw 4 as 40. I even thought to myself 40 sounded ridiculous.

Still what's 36 between friends eh?

Eh?
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:41 pm

i’m sure he does, however it was baffling why he didn’t change last night, the one criticism i have seen pinned on him is he never changes things and blindly sticks to his plan A
no matter how you looked at it, most were screaming for changes last night after 10 mins

the forward line was so ineffective & needed addressing if we were to get anything out that game , why didn’t he do anything about it ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:11 pm

Yes.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:13 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Yes, he does.
Why are Sutton a poor side ? The league table would suggest otherwise !
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:19 pm

Quick question, why didn't you ask this two weeks ago?
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:22 pm

I don't think some fans have a clue, I wonder if other clubs have fans who are as twattish as ours.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:26 pm

No after 46 years in the game , he can never remember losing a match, its a strange thing to do and now he must figure out why, when, where, how, who, and see if anybody else has gone through this mind blowing experience,
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:32 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:i’m sure he does, however it was baffling why he didn’t change last night, the one criticism i have seen pinned on him is he never changes things and blindly sticks to his plan A
no matter how you looked at it, most were screaming for changes last night after 10 mins

the forward line was so ineffective & needed addressing if we were to get anything out that game , why didn’t he do anything about it ?

In fairness mate, I looked at the bench at half time and didn't really see anything he could have done to really change it. The only thing I saw was bringing on Faz and moving Hawkins up front but he was walking a fine line already being on a yellow and a few niggly fouls on a defender and he's off. Maybe Sinclair as well to win some free kicks but our delivery was poor anyway.

We've had managers in the past who change things alot. Holdsworth and his "equations" springs to mind. Yes I agree he should have changed it but I don't think that he had the personnel on the bench to change it significantly. Had he put Rawson on and moved Hawkins up front from the start and the result and performance stayed the same then he'd be criticised for changing it. I don't blame him for keeping the same XI that had won the previous game.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:57 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:i’m sure he does, however it was baffling why he didn’t change last night, the one criticism i have seen pinned on him is he never changes things and blindly sticks to his plan A

In fairness mate, I looked at the bench at half time and didn't really see anything he could have done to really change it. The only thing I saw was bringing on Faz and moving Hawkins up front but he was walking a fine line already being on a yellow and a few niggly fouls on a defender and he's off. Maybe Sinclair as well to win some free kicks but our delivery was poor anyway.

We've had managers in the past who change things alot. Holdsworth and his "equations" springs to mind. Yes I agree he should have changed it but I don't think that he had the personnel on the bench to change it significantly. Had he put Rawson on and moved Hawkins up front from the start and the result and performance stayed the same then he'd be criticised for changing it. I don't blame him for keeping the same XI that had won the previous game.

I agree Gazza, the only thing he could have done given our injuries was to move Hawkins back up front, but as me and Dave discussed before the game, the reason he didn't was because he has been playing so well at CB. I also think a number of our players are less than fully fit, the likes of Maris, Quinn, Hawkins, Bowery and Macca have all had recent knocks with no real recovery time. Lapslie looked way off it when he came on. In fact, I think Bishop, Clarke and O'Toole are the only players in that starting eleven not to have suffered recent injury. It showed last night, whilst we were clearly better on the ball than Sutton, we had no pace and fell away as the game progressed.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:10 pm

Maybe the cold exacerbated knocks a bit. Its a Tuesday night and bar the Newcastle game (where hardly any, if any, played) we hadn't played a Tuesday night game since mid October where it was somewhat warmer.

I'm very surprised that nobody has blamed the overnight stay yet. That used to be a favourite. :D
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum