{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stags unlikely to make changes in the January window

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Stags unlikely to make changes in the January window

Postby broomo » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:45 am

bellwhiff wrote:
lifestags wrote:Sarkic was a woeful signing from the first window.

There you go Sedgwick.

I’ve only not seen them not play because they’ve not played. Come Saturday I’ll have seen three of the last four games and not seen them play. Sort of proves my point, clever trousers. Back to being a fluffer eh.

Any need for that comment?
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:02 am

The other thing about not signing everyone and his gran (like Evans or Cox) is that the players you have develop a level of trust in you. Clough clearly likes to build relationships, which is hard to do with a revolving door policy.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:48 pm

Let's renew some contracts and save the money til summer when hopefully we will be looking at league 1 players instead of league 2.
Quinn, Otoole and Hawkins come to mind on extending. I'm not sure how long other players contracts run.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:51 pm

chip63 wrote:Let's renew some contracts and save the money til summer when hopefully we will be looking at league 1 players instead of league 2.
Quinn, Otoole and Hawkins come to mind on extending. I'm not sure how long other players contracts run.

Hawkins is already on a two year deal.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:54 pm

Cheers, do you know whose contracts are running out in the summer.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:11 pm

chip63 wrote:Cheers, do you know whose contracts are running out in the summer.

I would imagine Stech, menayese, O'Keefe, Perch, O Clarke, Maris, Bowery.

Basically anyone who Coughlan signed I think
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:31 pm

Quinn was retiring from football when he went to Burton, after 3 injury ridden years playing only 2 senior appearances he was disillusioned and was pretty much retired.
Clough offered him a life line in 2018, Quin said working under Clough has rejuvenated my career, he knows the game, he managers players well.
Their is a element of risk to signing players who have had long time injuries, but all signings are a risk.
It must be nice being a fan Sarkic got injured it happens, Forrester not played yet but now available, and i know Nartey is a good player.
Clough will know what this side is capable of and will only sign players that suit his needs, and what is within the budget.
Both his transfer windows have reflected the needs of the club, and because of injuries the squad has suffered, silly suspensions have further disrupted our progress.
On a positive note some young players have gained some invaluable experience. itis far to early yet to evaluate our squad, because even now we have lost, Oates, Johnson, Lapslie
with Quinn and bowery struggling with injuries, and 2 hard away games coming up
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:37 pm

bellwhiff wrote:

There you go Sedgwick.

I’ve only not seen them not play because they’ve not played. Come Saturday I’ll have seen three of the last four games and not seen them play. Sort of proves my point, clever trousers. Back to being a fluffer eh.

Got injured, doesn't mean its a bad signing.. Keep repeating yourself though
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:39 pm

broomo wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

There you go Sedgwick.

All hes got to cling to.. not even sure what hes trying to achieve with it by posting it over and over and sending it to my PM's non stop or how it relates to me in the slightest :lol:

Just further adds to your point that hes got issues :roll:
Last edited by Sedgwick on Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:42 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:I said it at the time and I’ll say it again, I don’t see how you can say someone is a bad signing because they got injured whilst they’re here. It’s just bad luck.

That’s completely different to signing someone who was injured, such as Forrester, which was a very strange move.

When you constantly play the village idiot on the local message board it makes valid sense to critique a transfer window you didnt like for whatever reason. He knows its a stupid comment but cant admit hes wrong so will forever repeat it over and over and keep having a tantrum when people pull the stupidity to pieces.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:46 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

There you go Sedgwick.

Signing a player with a record of being injured, plays hardly any games for us due to being injured, bad signing.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:18 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
broomo wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

There you go Sedgwick.

All hes got to cling to.. not even sure what hes trying to achieve with it by posting it over and over and sending it to my PM's non stop or how it relates to me in the slightest :lol:

Just further adds to your point that hes got issues :roll:

Just checked my messages. I have never sent you a PM. Care to retract that ?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:57 pm

lifestags wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

There you go Sedgwick.

Signing a player with a record of being injured, plays hardly any games for us due to being injured, bad signing.

But didn't someone say he played 37 games the year before?

If he was injured the entire season before I could understand.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:36 pm

Clough must be joking i guess

We need another defender midfielder and forward.

Tonight has proven had powder puff we are uptop when injuries set in.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag1 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:56 pm

At leat another three, probably five going on tonights performance. Too many not willing to put a shift in, when it really counts.
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby wardy12345 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:24 pm

That went well :banghead:
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby marksay » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:54 pm

We need three more players let Bowery leave the building. Forrester in CB with J . The squad was good enough until we got injuries cover for that and push this squad to success
marksay
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:02 pm

Still think we don’t need signings ?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:40 am

We definitely need a couple of wide players.

We also need a forward, especially if we are going to persist with Hawkins at centre back.

It was frustrating to hear Clough say there might not be changes in January. We are definitely better than our results suggest, but to make a run at the playoffs, we need more
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:53 am

Maybe we are unlikely to make changes because nobody wants our deadwood? Or the clubs who want them aren't wanted by our players.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:13 am

gazza1988 wrote:Maybe we are unlikely to make changes because nobody wants our deadwood? Or the clubs who want them aren't wanted by our players.

Classic whataboutism there Gazza.

There is a really simple solution if that was to be the case. Bring O’Keefe and Meneyese back
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:37 am

What if them leaving is what freed up wages for other players to come in on the SCMP?

It's all a guessing game, for us, unless you're in the same room as Clough and Sharpe.

Could explain why Forrester is only on loan until January, the same as O'Keeffe. I don't think that is the case but it is a possibility.

At the end of the day we should always be looking to improve. I think Clough is just saying it's unlikely in order to stop fans getting agitated for signings.

It is far too early in relation to the window to declare that we are unlikely to sign someone. The loan players could be recalled. Forrester might not have his loan extended. Proper out and put centre backs we'd have Nartey and Rawson (Cooper too) with options from other positions in O'Toole, Hawkins, Hewitt, McLaughlin, J. Clarke and Ward (might have missed someone.

At present our best RB is Hewitt. Macca best LB. Hawkins best CF (oates and Johnson injured). J. Clarke is out on loan. With Quinn and Maris struggling though injury I'd push O'Toole into the midfield for the experience and steel he brings.

Our issue is we've got players who seem to be our best players in 2 positions and it's not a good thing to have. In my opinion we have far too many central midfielders. Let's see.... Maris, Quinn, Clarke, stirk, Charsley, Lapslie, O'Toole, Law, Gale, Ward, Hill. That's 11 players who have all featured this season in competitive games. 11 players. In a 4-4-2 we can play 10.5 different combinations, in Clough's narrow diamond its 2.75 different combinations. In a midfield 5 it's 3.66 different combinations.

Speaking to a few lads at work who are forest fans said McLaughlin was decent on the left wing but was moved into the middle and his performances improved so there's another option which pushes the numbers above to 11 combos for 442, 3 for narrow diamond and 4 for the midfield 5. It's far too many. This has a knock on effect of some of those players covering elsewhere and produces inconsistent performances.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:28 am

We'll make signings in January.

100% guaranteed.

No doubt we'll still make at least 5 pages of folk saying why aren't we going to sign anyone and list what we need, as well as saying it'll be another raspberries window before it's even began.

It's a forum and people aren't likely to chill their chestnuts, but chill your chestnuts.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:42 am

bellwhiff wrote:Still think we don’t need signings ?

We need what could be considered a 'squad overhaul' whether January is the right time to do that I don't think so.

But being hones, Clough isn't happy with what he's got. Look where we are and look at our results and performances. The only club who are happy are top of the League. Everyone else needs to improve,just don't understand why he's say he's happy with the squad.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:23 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:Still think we don’t need signings ?

We need what could be considered a 'squad overhaul' whether January is the right time to do that I don't think so.

But being hones, Clough isn't happy with what he's got. Look where we are and look at our results and performances. The only club who are happy are top of the League. Everyone else needs to improve,just don't understand why he's say he's happy with the squad.

Because he can’t really say anything else can he?!
Dan
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum