{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Broomo’s story

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Broomo’s story

Postby diablo » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:17 am

georgefostersbeard wrote:
diablo wrote:
broomo wrote:
diablo wrote:I would be interested in Nigel's take on this story...how did he react to another hypothetical " brother " suddenly appearing and taking up a father's time that would have been rightly his ?....Its a strange story indeed ...what is the rather almost unhealthy attitude of Broomo following Nigel's Star to such an extent ..Broomo obviously had a difficult childhood but no more difficult than many people of the Era...as I previously stated I would be interested to hear Nigel's take on yet another account about Nigel Clough, who may have been a great Football Manager but was certainly by many accounts no Saint

Such a weird post.

Maybe in your eyes, however it is an entirely logical assumption for many people to question your experiences of so many years ago..a child's mind works differently to an adults in many ways

Diablo, you are saying that his childhood was 'no more difficult than many people of the era' and ' entirely logical assumption for many people to question your experiences of so many years ago'
I am confused, Diablo, are you accusing him of lying or playing up his childhood poverty to sell books? I'm not clear on which it is.

Neither , I originally said I would like NC 's take on the event of another young person entering his family circle , I was then told it was a weird post ...I have never queried his experiences as being lies or accused him of playing on his childhood poverty to sell his book..these events were entirely in his own mindset at that time..you cannot experience what someone else experiences at best you can be an observer ..NC was obviously an observer at the time and I just wondered what he made of it all...nothing subversive or weird just a straight forward query
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby broomo » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:34 am

diablo wrote:
broomo wrote:You didn't question my experiences as a child though did you?

Isn't your book about your childhood experience ?

Your comment didn't question my childhood experiences, other than to say my childhood was no more difficult than others from the same era.

I wrote about MY childhood, no one else's and at no point did I compare it to anyone else's. Or say it was any tougher or easier than others.

Your comment was around how Nigel may have felt and me potentially taking his fathers time away from him. Bizarre to say the least.

The second comment was around my almost unhealthy obsession in foĺlowing Nigel. Unhealthy for who exactly? Who am I harming and why do you care?

Still, thanks for buying the book at 13.50 or £17 and commenting from a position of knowledge.

You have read the book haven't you?
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:52 am

You know what I find weirder than someone following a managers career closely...Those who for some reason get so wound up by it :lol:
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby diablo » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:35 am

broomo wrote:
diablo wrote:

Your comment didn't question my childhood experiences, other than to say my childhood was no more difficult than others from the same era.

I wrote about MY childhood, no one else's and at no point did I compare it to anyone else's. Or say it was any tougher or easier than others.

Your comment was around how Nigel may have felt and me potentially taking his fathers time away from him. Bizarre to say the least.

The second comment was around my almost unhealthy obsession in foĺlowing Nigel. Unhealthy for who exactly? Who am I harming and why do you care?

Still, thanks for buying the book at 1 :D 3.50 or £17 and commenting from a position of knowledge.

I have read passages from it and no I haven't bought it yet , I'll wait till it gets down to a £1 from my local Charity shop in a month or two ... :D
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:39 am

i’m not feeling the love here this morning Gents :D
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:46 am

diablo wrote:
broomo wrote:
diablo wrote:

Still, thanks for buying the book at 1 :D 3.50 or £17 and commenting from a position of knowledge.

I have read passages from it and no I haven't bought it yet , I'll wait till it gets down to a £1 from my local Charity shop in a month or two ... :D

Good for you. That way a charity will benefit twice. Once from the person who paid full price and donated the book and once from the cheapskate know it all who dislikes the author enough to make stupid comments on a forum before reading the actual book.

You've got a big heart.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:47 am

On a positive note broomo i am expecting one at xmas and am expecting a real Dickens tale of Hero and Villain.
i cannot believe on a simple post about a book people can be so negative, Merry Xmas young man
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:53 am

bear 73 wrote:On a positive note broomo i am expecting one at xmas and am expecting a real Dickens tale of Hero and Villain.
i cannot believe on a simple post about a book people can be so negative, Merry Xmas young man

Let them be negative bear.

The reviews I'm getting from people who've bought and read it and from media, journalists, award panels and other "proper" authors, tells me it's a good book and far outweighs the tiny number of negative views from people on social media who haven't even read it.

Hope you enjoy it pal and thanks for ordering!
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:38 am

Form what I've seen/read the Clough's pretty much adopted broomo (I've not read the book yet, so please correct me if I'm wrong). They gave him work, food, a place to stay etc.

He was pretty much family. I don't know how close he was to Nigel. Simon and Elizabeth. Must have been pretty close for Simon to give him a job in his post office.

Broome didn't seem "into" football before Clough came into his life. So it's easy to follow a person as opposed to a specific team. I don't find it weird in a weird way. It's just unusual in that you don't hear about it often. Except like a players dad, for example. If Nigel was like a brother to him (before he messed up big time) I don't find it weird that broomo follows him around. Whether broomo feels its penance for his mistake(s), or just fell in love with football being around the Clough's, it'd make sense that his love of football is to do with the Clough family and not a specific club.

One thought I had typing this. Do you think there's people who follow referees to every game they ref?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:53 am

Yes if they are family
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:26 pm

My friend's son is a referee, slowly making his way up the ladder. Was linesman in Conference South a few weeks ago. He goes to watch his son every game.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby diablo » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:01 pm

broomo wrote:
diablo wrote:
broomo wrote:
diablo wrote:

Good for you. That way a charity will benefit twice. Once from the person who paid full price and donated the book and once from the cheapskate know it all who dislikes the author enough to make stupid comments on a forum before reading the actual book.

You've got a big heart.

You lost the discussion once you started name calling..I never said I disliked you..you must have very low self esteem if you think that anyone who dares to question events from your past actually dislikes you.. so lay off the insults please
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby stagsfan6493 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:53 pm

Hjeldefan wrote:You know what I find weirder than someone following a managers career closely...Those who for some reason get so wound up by it :lol:

Completely agree with this.

Especially by fans who don’t even go to games themselves! If Broomo is paying money to watch stags then that’s all good with me, hope he’s around for a while because that means Clough is being successful with us!
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:57 pm

diablo wrote:
broomo wrote:
diablo wrote:
broomo wrote:
diablo wrote:

You've got a big heart.

You lost the discussion once you started name calling..I never said I disliked you..you must have very low self esteem if you think that anyone who dares to question events from your past actually dislikes you.. so lay off the insults please[/quote]

I didn't lose anything, you made a couple of narky and theb sarcastic points on a couple of narky posts and I won't sit back and let that slide.

Even the self esteem comment, you hide behind cheap digs, I'm a bit more straight forward.

"Dare" to question my past all you like. Who are you to do that exactly?
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:57 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:My friend's son is a referee, slowly making his way up the ladder. Was linesman in Conference South a few weeks ago. He goes to watch his son every game.

And that is how it should be, best wishes to him on his career as an official.

I officiayed the Notts Veterans cup final many years ago. The captain of the Winners, Notts Police, had his father there to watch. His father had not missed a game his son had played since his son was at school. To me, that sentence on dedication to his son and football was an worth more than any Premier League statement, any player soundbite or television taking head could ever say.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Paulstag » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:59 pm

He's an optician, can you not see that??
Paulstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum