{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stagsnet report

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Stagsnet report

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:01 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby Bros » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:57 am

Martin, can we assume Keaton Ward was injured also as we noticed he was not in the squad and seemed to be doing some running with one of the youngsters pre match
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:37 am

Bros wrote:Martin, can we assume Keaton Ward was injured also as we noticed he was not in the squad and seemed to be doing some running with one of the youngsters pre match

no, Ward was not injured. With Maris on the bench, he was covering that defensive midfield role.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Johnny Rotten » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:42 am

Martin, I note with interest you suggest

The Stags have a difficult game against 8th placed Tranmere next week, and then a run of games against what I would call some of the weaker sides in Stevenage, Scunthorpe, Sutton, Crawley,

When Sutton are two points and places below a 'difficult' Tranmere game having won the same number of games. The table suggests the two will be not so different in difficulty?

That Tranmere is a home game and Sutton is a midweek away game I'm not so sure I agree with the difficulty levels you apply
@orpington_stag
London & SE Stags Lead
APFSCIL Vice Chair
Ex-Away day fancy dress/theme planner
Johnny Rotten
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:35 am

Johnny Rotten wrote:Martin, I note with interest you suggest

The Stags have a difficult game against 8th placed Tranmere next week, and then a run of games against what I would call some of the weaker sides in Stevenage, Scunthorpe, Sutton, Crawley,

When Sutton are two points and places below a 'difficult' Tranmere game having won the same number of games. The table suggests the two will be not so different in difficulty?

That Tranmere is a home game and Sutton is a midweek away game I'm not so sure I agree with the difficulty levels you apply

I think Tranmere will be well above Sutton by the end of the season. Sutton have had a tremendous start and well done to them, but they started to falter in the last two games. I think they will be mid-table or lower by the end of the season.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Johnny Rotten » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:13 am

Not sure you can use that to determine how weak a side is ie it's October and you're thinking to May?

You also aren't factoring in our current plight but what you're suggesting is we are legitimately going to finish the campaign above Sutton (higher mid-table or beyond?).

Surely the determination of the impending games must be based on the here and now? Although Sutton might have 'faltered' recently, yesterday succumbing to a last min goal after coming back from two down and a man down to level, along with our own form, that doesn't tell me they are (currently) a weaker side than us.

(to counter me you may use Brighton as an example that they won't finish their campaign where they are now on the basis current league positions can be misleading)
@orpington_stag
London & SE Stags Lead
APFSCIL Vice Chair
Ex-Away day fancy dress/theme planner
Johnny Rotten
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:22 am

I didn't say Sutton are currently a weaker side than us .

I said that we have a run of 5 games coming up against "some of the weaker sides in Stevenage, Scunthorpe, Sutton, Crawley, and Carlisle" in the division. I still think that's a reasonable comment. I think it would be a fair guess that none of them will finish in the top half.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Spiritater » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:12 pm

Sutton away, on a cold November night with our form and reputation.

Can't see it going well.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:13 pm

Spiritater wrote:Sutton away, on a cold November night with our form and reputation.

Can't see it going well.

Do you ever forecast anything going well :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:33 pm

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:57 pm

Spiritater wrote:Sutton away, on a cold November night with our form and reputation. Can't see it going well.

We all know that Alistair Smith is going to score the winner :lol:

Sutton lost 2-0 at Exeter but created a lot more chances than the Stags. Exeter were fortunate to beat them.

Exeter City v Sutton United xG:1.9-2.0
Exeter City v Mansfield Town xG:1.6-0.4
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:06 pm

Rob wrote:
Spiritater wrote:Sutton away, on a cold November night with our form and reputation.

Can't see it going well.

Do you ever forecast anything going well :lol:

I want to but the folk who can give me the confidence to change my outlook keep putting the boot in on anything positive
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:33 am

Can't see it going well.

That’s the spirit.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:56 pm

bellwhiff wrote:

Can't see it going well.

That’s the spirit.

Give em a cheer for me eh! Of course you'll be going won't you being as though it's practically next door?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:30 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Johnny Rotten wrote:Martin, I note with interest you suggest

I think Tranmere will be well above Sutton by the end of the season. Sutton have had a tremendous start and well done to them, but they started to falter in the last two games. I think they will be mid-table or lower by the end of the season.

Personally I think we’ve a better chance against Tranmere than against Sutton.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum