{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

New signing inbound. John-Joe O'Toole

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: New signing inbound. John-Joe O'Toole

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:43 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Wasn't he the lad who got sent off on his celebration day? "John-Joe O'Toole day"?

Yes :lol: a Northampton fan messaged me earlier to say he was returning to the scene of the greatest and worst day of his career!
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:58 am

Had these sort of players here before, it'll not improve us.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:29 am

Spiritater wrote:Had these sort of players here before, it'll not improve us.

That’s the spirit
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:36 am

:lol: He's brought JJ in but how are the abysmal strike force doing?
How are the errr defence doing :oops:
It's like trying to put out The Towering Inferno with a stirrup pump.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:27 am

Spiritater wrote::lol: He's brought JJ in but how are the abysmal strike force doing?

He’s been brought in to give a bit of Jamie Maguire style fire and passion. He’s not been brought into score goals. He’s not a striker. You do know that ?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:29 am

adamstag wrote:Now that’s a singing, really happy with that, seasoned pro who will know how to boss things a bit more either in defence or presumably midfield/defensive midfield.

Can’t go wrong with that

Interesting to see if and when he makes his debut..he has not played since last Season..Will he be another Bench Warmer or can he get fit enough in a short time.? Will he pick up an injury in training like several others have ? At least we only have him until January which is less then 10 weeks away...OR will he prove to be another Super Quinn type and help save the Club from the dreaded Drop ...I await with bated breath and silent hope
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby oldweststander » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:56 am

diablo wrote:
adamstag wrote:Now that’s a singing, really happy with that, seasoned pro who will know how to boss things a bit more either in defence or presumably midfield/defensive midfield.

Can’t go wrong with that

Interesting to see if and when he makes his debut..he has not played since last Season..Will he be another Bench Warmer or can he get fit enough in a short time.? Will he pick up an injury in training like several others have ? At least we only have him until January which is less then 10 weeks away...OR will he prove to be another Super Quinn type and help save the Club from the dreaded Drop ...I await with bated breath and silent hope

Apparently, he has been training with Walsall for 8 weeks and Stevenage too, wait and see?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:04 am

oldweststander wrote:
diablo wrote:

Can’t go wrong with that

Apparently, he has been training with Walsall for 8 weeks and Stevenage too, wait and see?
That is a bit of a concern for me. Not his fitness, but the fact both Walsall and Stevenage havn't been impressed enough to award him a contract. Stevenage are as bad as us at the moment !

Hopefully he can improve us.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:12 am

He will be in at centre back unless Forrester is up for it so we can push Hawkins up top. I think he’d do a good job for us in defensive midfield, Maris is great on the ball but less so at breaking up play like O’Toole can do.
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:35 am

gazza1988 wrote:Wasn't he the lad who got sent off on his celebration day? "John-Joe O'Toole day"?

That is right ,made me chuckle . Welcome John

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:36 am

Amber Andy wrote:
oldweststander wrote:
diablo wrote:

Can’t go wrong with that

That is a bit of a concern for me. Not his fitness, but the fact both Walsall and Stevenage havn't been impressed enough to award him a contract. Stevenage are as bad as us at the moment !

Hopefully he can improve us.

Saturday should be interesting and hopefully he will do the business if picked
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:06 pm

Maybe Walsall and Stevenage were just doing him a favour. Like us with Keogh in pre season. Or maybe they couldn't afford him. Could explain why it's only until January, Clough said he likes to get value for money.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:59 pm

Oh dear yes he is a liability, will have a few good games, but yellow and red cards are his nature, and giving free kicks away in dangerous areas with the ability to give penalties. away.
With Forrester and Nartey being our future, this seems like a blast from the past
He wears Amber and Blue welcome JJ
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:19 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Spiritater wrote::lol: He's brought JJ in but how are the abysmal strike force doing?

He’s been brought in to give a bit of Jamie Maguire style fire and passion. He’s not been brought into score goals. He’s not a striker. You do know that ?

Of course I know. So for all intents and purposes we hoping to just stop folk scoring at our end.

We need more than a point here and there once every fortnight.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Gazmoose82 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:43 pm

bear 73 wrote:Oh dear yes he is a liability, will have a few good games, but yellow and red cards are his nature, and giving free kicks away in dangerous areas with the ability to give penalties. away.
With Forrester and Nartey being our future, this seems like a blast from the past
He wears Amber and Blue welcome JJ

God help us if thats our future!...
One a complete liability & crock who hasnt kicked a ball for us yet.
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby bigalstag1 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:35 pm

Oh good. Another mid thirties has been for the next manager to clear out.
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:38 pm

bigalstag1 wrote:Oh good. Another mid thirties has been for the next manager to clear out.

He's only here til January so not really.

People were moaning we weren't getting some free agents in, now we have people still moan. Might not be a world beaters but we've not even see him play for us yet.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:47 pm

The proof of the pudding is always in the eating but on paper this looks as good a free agent signing as you are going to get in League 2 at the end of October. Hopefully he can help us win 3/4 league games before January.

We are in a relegation scrap so having a few more experienced heads in the team should help us out. It's a shame we didn't sign a few at centre half and another as back up left back. Some fans have a go at Steve Evans but he always makes sure he has two players competing for every position so the players don't get too comfortable.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:13 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:The proof of the pudding is always in the eating but on paper this looks as good a free agent signing as you are going to get in League 2 at the end of October. Hopefully he can help us win 3/4 league games before January.

We are in a relegation scrap so having a few more experienced heads in the team should help us out. It's a shame we didn't sign a few at centre half and another as back up left back. Some fans have a go at Steve Evans but he always makes sure he has two players competing for every position so the players don't get too comfortable.

And that's how a squad should be built. In my opinion.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:44 pm

But it isn't financially viable
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:46 pm

It's easily financially viable and other clubs manage it.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:26 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:But it isn't financially viable

Clearly it is as Evans didn’t spend as much as other managers and still did better than them and has been employed ever since (bar a few weeks)
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:34 pm

Why not? A squad of 22 players and a few youngsters isn't financially viable?

In goal we have Bishop, Shelvey and Stech

In Clough's favoured narrow diamond we've 4 right backs Perch, Hewitt, Gordon and Clarke. 4 CB Rawson Nartey, Forrester and Cooper. 2 LB McLaughlin and Burke (2 CB, a LB and RB also out on loan, I'd forgot completely and Aaron o'driscoll).

In midfield we have.... Maris, Clarke, Quinn, Lapslie, Charsley, Stirk, Ward, Law and O'Toole (with ethan Hill out on loan)

Up front we have. Hawkins, Johnson, Oates, Bowery, Sinclair, Gale (with knowles and Caine out on loan)

Up front we have 3 players for each position, midfield a touch over 2. However all are central midfielders limiting options to go 4-4-2 without losing Clough's preferred full back options. We go 4-4-2 we have 8 players in Central midfield vying for 2 spots with 2 more vying to be a makeshift winger.

That's 28 players all in, as for youngsters only Gale hasn't played a first team game (like it or not the trophy is classed as a first team game) plus Cooper who have only every played trophy games. So that's 25 players with some degree of league experience plus 3 youngsters.

It's likely I missed someone. But this is the reality we find ourselves in.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:20 pm

gazza1988 wrote:

Why not? A squad of 22 players and a few youngsters isn't financially viable?

In goal we have Bishop, Shelvey and Stech

In Clough's favoured narrow diamond we've 4 right backs Perch, Hewitt, Gordon and Clarke. 4 CB Rawson Nartey, Forrester and Cooper. 2 LB McLaughlin and Burke (2 CB, a LB and RB also out on loan, I'd forgot completely and Aaron o'driscoll).

In midfield we have.... Maris, Clarke, Quinn, Lapslie, Charsley, Stirk, Ward, Law and O'Toole (with ethan Hill out on loan)

Up front we have. Hawkins, Johnson, Oates, Bowery, Sinclair, Gale (with knowles and Caine out on loan)

Up front we have 3 players for each position, midfield a touch over 2. However all are central midfielders limiting options to go 4-4-2 without losing Clough's preferred full back options. We go 4-4-2 we have 8 players in Central midfield vying for 2 spots with 2 more vying to be a makeshift winger.

That's 28 players all in, as for youngsters only Gale hasn't played a first team game (like it or not the trophy is classed as a first team game) plus Cooper who have only every played trophy games. So that's 25 players with some degree of league experience plus 3 youngsters.

It's likely I missed someone. But this is the reality we find ourselves in.

Name me a time when we had all of those players available.

Last count Stech who isn't going to feature.
Perch, Gordon, Hewitt, Cooper, McLaughlin, Nartey, Maris, Stirk, Forrester, all out injured, either long or short term. Quinn suspended for 6 games, Sinclair for 3 and O'Toole signed yesterday.

13 out of the 28.

IF we had all 28 players available fair enough BUT if we had all 28 players available we wouldn't be in this mess.

You must be able to see that, surely?
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:00 pm

Broomo, I made no mention of players being injured or unavailable.

The discussion is whether 22 players is viable financially. I just listed all the players we currently hav and we've more than enough in some areas and not enough in others. We started the season with just Rawson as a centre back, meaning our best right back had to be played centre back (not saying he can't). This had a knock on effect especially once perch was injured, which was before Forrester and Nartey joined.

I fully understand that injuries are not ideal and we have an unprecedented amount. However, at centre half, 3 of the players you list (Nartey, Forrester and Cooper) have just 2 league appearances between them this season, those appearances were by one of the players! Stirk and Maris are midfielders and we have more than adequate cover for them.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum