{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Nigel Clough; Northampton post match

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Nigel Clough; Northampton post match

Postby Son Of Sherwood » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:32 pm

Endeavoring to persevere since 1965 (8-1 home win against QPR)

Seal it, Larson
Son Of Sherwood
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Nigel Clough; Northampton post match

Postby The One » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:33 pm

Thanks. At least he takes responsibility
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Son Of Sherwood » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:36 pm

The One wrote:Thanks. At least he takes responsibility

You're welcome

:coys:
Endeavoring to persevere since 1965 (8-1 home win against QPR)

Seal it, Larson
Son Of Sherwood
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby NEStag » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:00 pm

I do not understand the ‘half the team out’ that he keeps talking about.
He also said he’s relying on Quinn, Maris and Stirk and they are key.
Quinn has been out suspended but we were raspberry before then as well, Maris has been out for only one game (we are winless in 12) and he never hardly played Stirk anyway?

Edit - I checked and Stirk has started one game and played 162 minutes all season.
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bigalstag1 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:05 pm

Players that aren't good enough, signed by you. Absolutely no heart in this team, no fight, no matter how poor these players are!
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby broomo » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:07 pm

NEStag wrote:I do not understand the ‘half the team out’ that he keeps talking about.
Quinn has been out suspended but we were raspberry before then as well, Maris has been out for only one game (we are winless in 12) and he never hardly played Stirk anyway?

Edit - I checked and Stirk has started one game and played 162 minutes all season.

Relying on them to get the ball down and get us playing pass and move football. Allowing us to keep the ball. Quinn, Maris and Stirk (whenever he has come on) are better at it than the other midfielders who occasionally seem to treat the ball like a hot potato.

As disappointed as a lot of fans are with Ollie Clarke, Laps is a million miles away from where he was last year and I'm saying that as someone who likes him a lot as a player.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby NEStag » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:12 pm

broomo wrote:
NEStag wrote:I do not understand the ‘half the team out’ that he keeps talking about.

Relying on them to get the ball down and get us playing pass and move football. Allowing us to keep the ball. Quinn, Maris and Stirk (whenever he has come on) are better at it than the other midfielders who occasionally seem to treat the ball like a hot potato.

As disappointed as a lot of fans are with Ollie Clarke, Laps is a million miles away from where he was last year and I'm saying that as someone who likes him a lot as a player.

I’m not necessarily disputing any of that. But that wasn’t really the point I was making.

If that’s the case (a) Quinn and Maris were available together for all the games until
Quinn was suspended (b) Maris has been out for one game and (c) he’s hardly played Stirk in any case (see above) - he now only seems to be important when he’s not available….

Ps agree with you on Lapslie. He seems to be unfit to me. He’s always labouring by early in the second half.
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby part time pete » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:14 pm

It all started to wrong when Maris went off injured against Bradford City and I don’t think he has been fully fit since.

Him and Perch and Quinn were our three most influential players and we have missed them all.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Whitehalls Left Foot » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:15 pm

Was interested to here Nigel say " we'll keep working hard until told otherwise" ?

Almost like he's pre-empting the sack !?
Whitehalls Left Foot
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby stagsfan6493 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:16 pm

Whitehalls Left Foot wrote:Was interested to here Nigel say " we'll keep working hard until told otherwise" ?

12 games without a win and 4 without a goal. Most managers will expect the sack on that form.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:18 pm

part time pete wrote:It all started to wrong when Maris went off injured against Bradford City and I don’t think he has been fully fit since.

Him and Perch and Quinn were our three most influential players and we have missed them all.

I agree Pete, those three were so key to how we played. I'd also say, as others have, that Lapslie is a pale shadow of the all action midfielder he was last season.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Whitehalls Left Foot » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:19 pm

stagsfan6493 wrote:
Whitehalls Left Foot wrote:Was interested to here Nigel say " we'll keep working hard until told otherwise" ?

12 games without a win and 4 without a goal. Most managers will expect the sack on that form.

Doesn't just sound like hes expecting it though, it sounds like mentally he's partially checked out !
Whitehalls Left Foot
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:21 pm

He’s just waffling. He’s saying the players aren’t good enough but he signed most of them.

Stevo once again is full of raspberries. Telling NC what a good manager he is. Pathetic interview.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:23 pm

Whitehalls Left Foot wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:

Doesn't just sound like hes expecting it though, it sounds like mentally he's partially checked out !

Honestly it looks like the whole squad have checked out at the moment. They’re in a mess and have very low confidence, it all adds up to a long battle with relegation.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:23 pm

stagsfan6493 wrote:

I can say with certainty, that's just your reading of it.

As someone who has followed him at every club he's been at, he's said that at least once at all of those clubs, he'll still be at work and trying all he can to fix things every day until he's told to leave.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:24 pm

Rob wrote:
part time pete wrote:It all started to wrong when Maris went off injured against Bradford City and I don’t think he has been fully fit since.

I agree Pete, those three were so key to how we played. I'd also say, as others have, that Lapslie is a pale shadow of the all action midfielder he was last season.

Two of those players are at the latter end of there careers, relying on them was always going to be a massive risk.

Maris does make us tick though, we have no game plan when he’s out.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Whitehalls Left Foot » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:28 pm

broomo wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:

I can say with certainty, that's just your reading of it.

As someone who has followed him at every club he's been at, he's said that at least once at all of those clubs, he'll still be at work and trying all he can to fix things every day until he's told to leave.

I'm sure he'll still be at work cos he's paid to be there and that if he walks he doesn't get his contract settlement.

Not anti NC at all , just listening into what he says and was surprised that he said that.
Whitehalls Left Foot
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Berryhillstagno1 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:29 pm

Injuries are an issue absolutely but two players back Tuesday is not the solution.I really hope Nigel turns it around but when you watch him on the sidelines he looks forlorn and devoid of any solution with this group of players. Time for the project and the lack of situations as they are described is in very very short supply.
Berryhillstagno1
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:05 pm

I like Nigel Clough but his defence just does not stand up. The only person to blame is himself for his poor recruitment for what was supposed to be a promotion push. He failed to recruit the two experienced quality centre halfs that were supposed to be far better than Farrend Rawson and Ryan Sweeney who he frequently criticised last season.. He had the whole summer transfer window to do this. He has failed to recruit a striker who does the hard running and pressing who is better than Jamie Reid. He has decided to play with a big target man but has not signed a back up. He has not recruited enough experienced ball playing midfielders as back up for George Maris and Stephen Quinn and which are essential for his style of play. Our back up left back does not look good enough for League 2 and is nowhere near as good as Mal Benning. The reserve keeper he has recruited has been awful but he keeps putting him on the bench.

Regarding the players being unavailable from the early games then here is the comparison between the starting line ups in those games and today:
Bristol Rovers (Home) - 6 Starters with Oates being on the bench today. Missing: Perch, Gordon, Maris and Quinn
Newport County (Away) - Ditto
Colchester United (Away) - 7 Starters and Oates on the bench. Missing: Perch, Maris and Quinn
Bradford City (Home) - Ditto

I'm not convinced that we would suddenly become a winning side going for promotion with the return of those 3/4 players. It was also a massive risk to rely on a 36 year old centre half who has played most of his career at right back. Our best two players this season have been Oli Hawkins and Stephen McLaughlin and they have generally been available to play. George Maris has also played every league game until today.

Ryan Stirk also did not start in any of the above games. He's only started one game at Walsall and he had a fairly average game. However this inexperienced 21 year old with two starts for Birmingham City has now suddenly become the League 2 Pirlo who is a massive loss. It just does not stand up as a defence.

Nigel Clough needs to stop blaming the players that he retained or recruited and accept that the blame lies with him and his recruitment team. Managers have always lived or died by their recruitment. He also needs to find a way to get the best out of these players until January to keep us in the league. Keeping having a go at them is not going to help.
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:28 pm

Nigel Clough's Post Match interview on BBC Radio Nottingham

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p09ywljj
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:35 pm

John Brady's Post Match Interview

"They had one header on target"
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:19 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I like Nigel Clough but his defence just does not stand up. The only person to blame is himself for his poor recruitment for what was supposed to be a promotion push. He failed to recruit the two experienced quality centre halfs that were supposed to be far better than Farrend Rawson and Ryan Sweeney who he frequently criticised last season.. He had the whole summer transfer window to do this. He has failed to recruit a striker who does the hard running and pressing who is better than Jamie Reid. He has decided to play with a big target man but has not signed a back up. He has not recruited enough experienced ball playing midfielders as back up for George Maris and Stephen Quinn and which are essential for his style of play. Our back up left back does not look good enough for League 2 and is nowhere near as good as Mal Benning. The reserve keeper he has recruited has been awful but he keeps putting him on the bench.

Regarding the players being unavailable from the early games then here is the comparison between the starting line ups in those games and today:
Bristol Rovers (Home) - 6 Starters with Oates being on the bench today. Missing: Perch, Gordon, Maris and Quinn
Colchester United (Away) - 7 Starters and Oates on the bench. Missing: Perch, Maris and Quinn

I'm not convinced that we would suddenly become a winning side going for promotion with the return of those 3/4 players. It was also a massive risk to rely on a 36 year old centre half who has played most of his career at right back. Our best two players this season have been Oli Hawkins and Stephen McLaughlin and they have generally been available to play. George Maris has also played every league game until today.

Ryan Stirk also did not start in any of the above games. He's only started one game at Walsall and he had a fairly average game. However this inexperienced 21 year old with two starts for Birmingham City has now suddenly become the League 2 Pirlo who is a massive loss. It just does not stand up as a defence.

Nigel Clough needs to stop blaming the players that he retained or recruited and accept that the blame lies with him and his recruitment team. Managers have always lived or died by their recruitment. He also needs to find a way to get the best out of these players until January to keep us in the league. Keeping having a go at them is not going to help.

Agree with all of this.

I’d also add that he and the recruitment team have failed to come up with any type of plan B. When we need to change the system we are completely hampered by the make up of the squad. Having no proper wingers is just ridiculous. He says we work on a 442 all week in training…I could have told him in the summer it would be a waste of time if Charsley and Bowery are going to be his wide men.

Oates isn’t a natural winger and Sinclair is hit and miss. Fair enough Quinn operates on the left, but he often gets taken off at 70 minutes or has to miss a game to manage his workload and we just don’t have any credible replacement. Like I say, doesn’t help us with having a plan B.

From having a quick look back, we’ve fell behind 8 times this season and haven’t picked up a single result when doing so. Tells you a story in itself.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:31 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I like Nigel Clough but his defence just does not stand up. The only person to blame is himself for his poor recruitment for what was supposed to be a promotion push. He failed to recruit the two experienced quality centre halfs that were supposed to be far better than Farrend Rawson and Ryan Sweeney who he frequently criticised last season.. He had the whole summer transfer window to do this. He has failed to recruit a striker who does the hard running and pressing who is better than Jamie Reid. He has decided to play with a big target man but has not signed a back up. He has not recruited enough experienced ball playing midfielders as back up for George Maris and Stephen Quinn and which are essential for his style of play. Our back up left back does not look good enough for League 2 and is nowhere near as good as Mal Benning. The reserve keeper he has recruited has been awful but he keeps putting him on the bench.

And to think that I got loads of raspberries for posting almost the same point a month ago
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:38 am

bellwhiff wrote:

And to think that I got loads of raspberries for posting almost the same point a month ago

ditto the big lady at the back is clearing her throat, good luck Tuesday Cloughie
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:47 am

Maybe calling his selected 11 "second choice" isn't boosting morale that much!
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum