{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Sheff Wed game in Papa Johns Trophy: Sheff Wed sell out

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Sheff Wed game in Papa Johns Trophy: Sheff Wed sell out

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:29 pm

Mansfield tickets sold out
swfc.co.uk, Sun 26 Sep 2021

Tickets for our trip to Mansfield on Tuesday 5 October have sold out.

The Owls face the Stags in the Papa John’s Trophy early next month.

Wednesday were allocated 1,666 for the Group H fixture, which is set for a 7.00pm kick-off at the One Call Stadium.

Read more at https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2021/septem ... -sold-out/
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Sheff Wed game in Papa Johns Trophy: Sheff Wed sell out

Postby wayno cordiniho » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:23 pm

Not bad. Might be a crap competition but that’s 13-15k of ticket money raised. Hopefully we can avoid any sendings off and there’s no bad blood left from the Forrestieri pre season game a few years back
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:29 pm

wayno cordiniho wrote:Not bad. Might be a crap competition but that’s 13-15k of ticket money raised. Hopefully we can avoid any sendings off and there’s no bad blood left from the Forrestieri pre season game a few years back

just to mention that sendings off lead to suspensions only in the same competition.

There's nobody left on our side who played in that game: https://stagsnet.net/match/reports/view ... atchid=933
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby wayno cordiniho » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:32 pm

All good then :-)
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Postby HU7stag » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:02 pm

I have disliked them since that game. In fact, I now take an interest in Sheffield United's results through spite.

HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:38 pm

Wouldn't be the first time we were outnumbered at home by Sheff Wendy.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:30 pm

Embarrassing.

BTeamBoycott
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:44 pm

Richard Cranium wrote:Embarrassing.

BTeamBoycott

Get over yourself. This competition brings a lot of money into the club and in this instance will allow the likes of Quinn and Sinclair to get much needed match practice. What's embarrassing is those who keep banging on about how bad this competition is, because they aren't the ones who have to pay the bills.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:41 am

Rob wrote:

BTeamBoycott

Get over yourself. This competition brings a lot of money into the club and in this instance will allow the likes of Quinn and Sinclair to get much needed match practice. What's embarrassing is those who keep banging on about how bad this competition is, because they aren't the ones who have to pay the bills.

Wendy aren't a 'B' team anyway they are back in the 3rd division.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:02 am

Rob wrote:

BTeamBoycott

Hope all fans don't have the same attitude when the Prem next try and get their B teams in the league itself.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:09 am

BTeamBoycott

Money for the club (some will quote how much it is per win? or how much we made in previous seasons) plus games for the young lads... sooooo embarrassing isn't it :?
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:34 am

I must say that for a poor competition that fringe players and teams entering their under 21s compete in, to sell out a away end is ti be respected, what a fan base.
Or are we a big attraction, Quinn and Sinclair will be given game time, its always nice to see the away end sold out
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:38 am

Sedgwick wrote:

BTeamBoycott

Money for the club (some will quote how much it is per win? or how much we made in previous seasons) plus games for the young lads... sooooo embarrassing isn't it :?

Yes. The money is a bribe to allow the prem big boys to ruin a competition that gave Mansfield one of their greatest days. Not sure 87 would have been quite the same if we beat Liverpool u21s in the final rather than Bristol City.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:39 am

Hjeldefan wrote:
Rob wrote:

BTeamBoycott

Hope all fans don't have the same attitude when the Prem next try and get their B teams in the league itself.

That's not the same thing is it? I doubt a single supporter will accept B teams in our league structure, it's not going to happen, hence why we have this competition. I think football learned a lesson from the European Super League fiasco.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:13 am

Hjeldefan wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

BTeamBoycott

Yes. The money is a bribe to allow the prem big boys to ruin a competition that gave Mansfield one of their greatest days. Not sure 87 would have been quite the same if we beat Liverpool u21s in the final rather than Bristol City.

How many u21 teams have been in the final?

I get the dislike for the u21 teams but Its still good for our players and club.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:23 am

Not playing the big teams away is a downer for both fans and finances.
A bit biased from me living close to Newcastle.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:57 am

When the manager openly says he couldn't really care less if we win or lose it does lessen the motivation to buy a ticket!
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:07 pm

I think the participation of under 21 teams appears to have increased the number of young players being loaned to league 2 clubs. I have no evidence of this but there just appears to be more loans about.

Maybe the players and parent clubs are more likely to trust their development having visited a few more grounds and seen for themselves the coaching levels.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:13 pm

Rob wrote:
Hjeldefan wrote:
Rob wrote:

BTeamBoycott

That's not the same thing is it? I doubt a single supporter will accept B teams in our league structure, it's not going to happen, hence why we have this competition. I think football learned a lesson from the European Super League fiasco.

If there is one thing the last 30 years or so have shown, its that football and the owners never learn their lesson.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:25 pm

As I said, I don't think a single lower league supporter would accept B teams in the structure, fans would boycott in massive numbers, it's not going to happen. I'm looking forward to the game next Tues, looking forward to seeing our squad players and it should be a good atmosphere.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:59 pm

Rob wrote:
Hjeldefan wrote:
Rob wrote:

BTeamBoycott

As Rob says, it's not the same thing. If B Teams were allowed in League 2 I wouldn't bother going any more and I don't think I'd be on my own. Although it's allowed in this competition (and it's Newcastle under 21s that we play, not Sheffield Wednesday), that makes no difference to how acceptable it would be in a "serious" competition such as the League or FA Cup. These competitive friendlies are very useful to the team, and a chance to get to see some fringe players trying to get into the first team by impressing.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:47 pm

This for me is a long term trap, get fans slowly used to it and then all of a sudden it won’t be as much of a big deal. it just appears rhat they’re having to play a longer game than expected due to the level of hostility.

Not for me, but i’m not going to criticise fans for attending the games against harrogate and sheffield weds - good for you, the ticket money isn’t to be sniffed at.

I’d be more curious as to those that attended the game against whoever the under 23 side is (you can see my level of interest in this competition here), but again each to their own.

I do totally believe the money for winning is a bribe though, make it more appealing to the poor lower league clubs and we’ll buy them that way.

Hopefully i’m wrong but i don’t see it.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:06 pm

I think you are wrong Adam. I suspect the original intention was to eventually get B teams in the Lower leagues but clearly this will never be supported by fans. You might have thought that super rich owners could ride rough shod over supporters, but with the super league debacle and the stark reminder clubs have had of what football is with no fans present, this is an absolute non-starter. The pyramid structure of English football is sacrosanct and no-one will ever accept a B team replacing a football league club.

In this competition no-one from the football league has been replaced.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:40 pm

I wouldn't mind a reserve team league with Prem clubs in it, could be a good income for smaller clubs.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:44 pm

Not arguing that fans would kick off more in the case this was suggested for the league. What baffles me though is that some fans are happy to have a competitions integrity to be compromised via the introduction of premier league reserves. It is disrespectful to every single club in leagues 1 and 2. Do you honestly think if we got to Wembley and played an U23 side it would be anywhere near as big a deal as when we have got there in the past?
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum