{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Clough and Ollie Clarke press conference, Tue 14 Sep

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Clough and Ollie Clarke press conference, Tue 14 Sep

Postby The One » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:46 pm

Do not think loan players can refuse to come back, they are under contract.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:51 pm

The One wrote:Do not think loan players can refuse to come back, they are under contract.

No they can’t refuse but we aren’t known for making players play when they don’t want to be here. I can’t see us recalling them if they want to stay at their new teams especially if we can turn the loans into permanent deals and get some sort of fee.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:58 pm

We’ve just gotta try and get a point Saturday.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:59 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
The One wrote:Do not think loan players can refuse to come back, they are under contract.

No they can’t refuse but we aren’t known for making players play when they don’t want to be here. I can’t see us recalling them if they want to stay at their new teams especially if we can turn the loans into permanent deals and get some sort of fee.

All Ive heard, is O'keefe being recalled is more likely if he being sold. Could be good business is he keeps playing well.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:09 pm

Sedgwick wrote:

All Ive heard, is O'keefe being recalled is more likely if he being sold. Could be good business is he keeps playing well.

Can't see him coming back here unless sold like you said. I know fans might want him back and in the team because of his good performances but he might not want to come back when he'll be settled in Rochdale
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:37 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Can't see him coming back here unless sold like you said. I know fans might want him back and in the team because of his good performances but he might not want to come back when he'll be settled in Rochdale

Need to highlight they play a back 5, he's impressing as an attacker... assists and goals. His defensive stats are average. Still think he'd do well for us regardless.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:39 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Need to highlight they play a back 5, he's impressing as an attacker... assists and goals. His defensive stats are average. Still think he'd do well for us regardless.

Sadly looks to be like another player who comes here with potential and rave reviews, never pulls up any trees but does as soon as he leaves.

I'd just love to know what happened with Clough and why he hardly got a chance.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:51 pm

Sadly looks to be like another player who comes here with potential and rave reviews, never pulls up any trees but does as soon as he leaves.

I'd just love to know what happened with Clough and why he hardly got a chance

Clough has already said why... I must have posted this about 10 times along with musings.

Corey was only used to playing in a back 5 as a RWB and that put him below Perch and Gordon at right back. He wanted him playing regularly and thus went on loan.

Dont know why, but any player leaves Mansfield on loan and its automatically "why does the manager hate him??!" :lol: Like when Knowles went out and everyone was like well that's him done then.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:59 pm

Sedgwick wrote:

I'd just love to know what happened with Clough and why he hardly got a chance

Clough has already said why... I must have posted this about 10 times along with musings.

Corey was only used to playing in a back 5 as a RWB and that put him below Perch and Gordon at right back. He wanted him playing regularly and thus went on loan.

Dont know why, but any player leaves Mansfield on loan and its automatically "why does the manager hate him??!" :lol: Like when Knowles went out and everyone was like well that's him done then.

alright mate bloody hell :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:02 pm

Gazza will be pleased to hear that in his radio Notts interview, Clough said he made a mistake in not taking both centre backs off at half time on Saturday, and putting Rawson and McLaughlin there :lol:
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:17 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Gazza will be pleased to hear that in his radio Notts interview, Clough said he made a mistake in not taking both centre backs off at half time on Saturday, and putting Rawson and McLaughlin there :lol:

Strangely when Macca played there in the cup, he did really well :lol: Maybe hes been a CB all along
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:27 pm

I'd imagine the reason that Stevo doesnt ask the 'searching' questions is that he's employed by the club to provide club friendly communication and media content, not to put the manager on the spot about his transfer policy. It's not about integrity, it's simply not his job.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:30 pm

Marky Mark wrote:I'd imagine the reason that Stevo doesnt ask the 'searching' questions is that he's employed by the club to provide club friendly communication and media content, not to put the manager on the spot about his transfer policy. It's not about integrity, it's simply not his job.

IMO it should be The Chad or Radio Notts who ask the more direct questions, but they rarely do. John Lomas only usually asks one or two questions in the interviews on iFollow because usually the other subjects have already been discussed.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:43 pm

Marky Mark wrote:I'd imagine the reason that Stevo doesnt ask the 'searching' questions is that he's employed by the club to provide club friendly communication and media content, not to put the manager on the spot about his transfer policy. It's not about integrity, it's simply not his job.

I imagine it would go something like this.

Q : Why didn't you sign a established defender in the summer?

A : Well we did, but he walked out at the last minute.

Q : Didn't you have any backup options?

A : Yes and we were very close to signing them but it either fell through/they went somewhere else. These things happen in football

I
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Re: Clough press conference, Tue 14 Sep

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:20 pm

Sedgwick wrote:yeah but you're acting like we missed out on Naylor and did nothing for weeks... you know the narrative, we had other targets we went for and missed out.

You are genuinely acting like its not possible that mighty Masnfield town can miss out on players, like we have a given right to just be able to go and sign some super star, and if they don't come, find and sign another a the drop of a hat. And because we didn't do just that the "policy" isn't any good.

You're still also to say what you think our "transfer policy" is... if its that bad, talk us through what exactly it is.

The goal with transfers seems to be clearly identifying a shortlist of targets, that A. Dont cost a big fee and B. Dont cost the earth in wages. Theres nothing wrong with the transfer policy, yes it wasn't a good window for defenders but its the execution of landing these targets that was the problem, not the policy its self.

Unless you expect us to have 5 top tier players and start negotiations with them all just incase... It doesn't work like that.

What I know are the facts as I’ve stated them. We missed out on a player in June (?) and didn’t bring in anyone until two last minute panic signings that sees one who is not pulling up trees and another who is just pulling up.

I asked you if that was a good window after the same rubbish we saw in January where we failed to get players in of a sufficient quality. Are you involved with the club because you’re going out of your way to defend an utter raspberryshow of a situation
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:32 pm

It’s a mess of that there is no doubt
Thought Quinn. Was supposed to be a top player
Forrester sounds like a none starter to me
Didn’t Bowery have a very good game at CB last season ??
I hope Nigel gets time to sort out his own mess out
defeat on Sat and JR might start to become nervous
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:09 pm

Nigel Clough told BBC Radio Nottingham (interview on iFollow):
"I had a chat with Elliott Hewitt yesterday and said what was up with you in the first half? He said I don't know, I just had a bad 45 minutes. He said I'd have brought me off at half time.
"With hindsight, I made a mistake, I should have brought both centre halves off, brought Burkey on, and put Rawson and McLaughlin at centre half. It was an error that we made at half time.
"It's a collective thing, everybody's got to do better. Even Bish in the 88th minute against Bradford should have done better. And I include us in that.
"We need to do the basic things well. That starts with the centre halves, just do your jobs, get back to head it and kick it, and then we'll go from there."
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:37 pm

Here's a question we'll never have an answer to.

If we hadn't lost that Bradford game, would we have gone on this run? I feel like those defensive mistakes have just been repeated again and again since that collapse.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:49 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:Here's a question we'll never have an answer to.

If we hadn't lost that Bradford game, would we have gone on this run? I feel like those defensive mistakes have just been repeated again and again since that collapse.

Maybe, but he played hewitt RB at that game and it was obvious at 2-1 we were struggling down that side, it was obvious it was 2-2 we were struggling and it was obvious at 2-3, did clough do anything?

the fact their 2nd and 3rd goals were almost carbon copies (with the tap in for cook) said it all.

He stood there, watched and did nothing.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:53 pm

adamstag wrote:

Maybe, but he played hewitt RB at that game and it was obvious at 2-1 we were struggling down that side, it was obvious it was 2-2 we were struggling and it was obvious at 2-3, did clough do anything?

the fact their 2nd and 3rd goals were almost carbon copies (with the tap in for cook) said it all.

He stood there, watched and did nothing.

Clarke should have helped him defensively, but yes it was easy to see that Bradford were targeting Hewitt again and again and something should have been done.

Just feel so deflated right now, we keep getting on this hype train that starts to build up pace but then gets derailed year after year after year. I guess that's what we get for supporting Mansfield :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:10 pm

Probably not no.

I often think about things like that (a lot of what ifs following this lot). What if Lincoln didn’t equalise in stoppage time in Flitcrofts first game when Evans jumped ship? Would we have just carried on as we were doing under Evans? In brilliant form with confidence high and sailing in to the playoffs or higher? What if we scored that penalty to win it away at Newport on the opening day in Dempsters first game after being 2-0 down? Would a winning start of helped him any more? (Probably not as he was useless, but you catch my drift), you could go on.

All rhetorical questions before huge debates open up about Flitcroft again! but match changing moments like that are big psychologically for players and team spirit. If we hold out against Bradford for a win or even a draw I don’t think we’d have lost 4 on the spin conceding 10 in the process but like you say we’ll never know. Late night ramblings.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:56 am

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Conker » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:49 am

bellwhiff wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:yeah but you're acting like we missed out on Naylor and did nothing for weeks... you know the narrative, we had other targets we went for and missed out.

You are genuinely acting like its not possible that mighty Masnfield town can miss out on players, like we have a given right to just be able to go and sign some super star, and if they don't come, find and sign another a the drop of a hat. And because we didn't do just that the "policy" isn't any good.

You're still also to say what you think our "transfer policy" is... if its that bad, talk us through what exactly it is.

The goal with transfers seems to be clearly identifying a shortlist of targets, that A. Dont cost a big fee and B. Dont cost the earth in wages. Theres nothing wrong with the transfer policy, yes it wasn't a good window for defenders but its the execution of landing these targets that was the problem, not the policy its self.

Unless you expect us to have 5 top tier players and start negotiations with them all just incase... It doesn't work like that.

What I know are the facts as I’ve stated them. We missed out on a player in June (?) and didn’t bring in anyone until two last minute panic signings that sees one who is not pulling up trees and another who is just pulling up.

I asked you if that was a good window after the same rubbish we saw in January where we failed to get players in of a sufficient quality. Are you involved with the club because you’re going out of your way to defend an utter raspberryshow of a situation

Back up signings, not panic signings, you know that.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:18 am

Conker wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

Back up signings, not panic signings, you know that.

Maybe back up signings but there is only James Perch worth backing up, Rawson is moderately better than Hewitt who is very poor. To be honest the two, which may turn out to be one, last minute signings are looking inadequate to put it politely.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:11 am

Gazmoose82 wrote:What a signing forrester is :lol:

Might aswell try stech at CB.... everyone else has had a go!.
Wouldnt be surprised to see bowery upfront and hawkins CB on sat :roll:

Do you sit in the away end
bear 73
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum