{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Not the budget we think we have?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Not the budget we think we have?

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:34 pm

We have a healthy budget.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:40 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:We have a healthy budget.

The summers signings say different to me. We know money is there when needed but were clearly cutting back on previous seasons... Clough is a long term project and cutting back on the spending is happening right in front of us, first in Jan and then in the summer and it'll carry on.

I don't think its a bad thing, its what Nigel has done everywhere hes been. The success and "hidden gem" players will take longer to find. But I think people losing it over loss of form and having a meltdown need a reality check. We are not the same club as we've been used to the last few years.

Few targets we didn't sign because a fee was involved.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:47 pm

Sedgwick wrote:

The summers signings say different to me. We know money is there when needed but were clearly cutting back on previous seasons... Clough is a long term project and cutting back on the spending is happening right in front of us, first in Jan and then in the summer and it'll carry on.

I don't think its a bad thing, its what Nigel has done everywhere hes been. The success and "hidden gem" players will take longer to find. But I think people losing it over loss of form and having a meltdown need a reality check. We are not the same club as we've been used to the last few years.

It came from the horses mouth, so unless he wasn’t being truthful I don’t see how you can question it.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:48 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

It came from the horses mouth, so unless he wasn’t being truthful I don’t see how you can question it.

i agree, our budget reflects Onecall accounts, all is very well lol
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:16 am

Thinking about it. Could our budget be slashed because we are still paying off the last 2-3 managers?.

I say 2-3 because I can't remember (nor find on a quick Google seasrch before leaving for work) how long a contract Flitcroft was given. He was announced March 2018 and sacked May 2019. If 2 and a bit years then it expired last season if it was 3 and a bit then we would likely still be paying it off.

Dempster, again can't find anything about how long he was given. Could be paying him off.

Same with Coughlan. We also had to pay Bristol Rovers compensation for taking him.

There was rumours about Dempster having a release clause if certain milestones weren't reached. That was just rumour though.

Personally I think we would have paid Flitcroft and his staff by now, this would have been 3rd season. Maybe Dempster too, would we have given him longer than 2 years?

Just a thought.

Also it could be because of SCMP, 55% of turnover the previous season, nobody could attend so I'd guess turnover is down. I believe there's budget left though, I can't imagine the Oldham captain being cheap, seems he's having a hard time this season anyway.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:57 am

This is just looking for a excuse, we don’t even need a excuse at this point of the season!
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:41 am

Conker wrote:This is just looking for a excuse, we don’t even need a excuse at this point of the season!

The trouble we are in is nothing to do with budgets, if we were prepared to make Naylor our highest paid player then the money was there.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:56 am

oldweststander wrote:
Conker wrote:This is just looking for a excuse, we don’t even need a excuse at this point of the season!

The trouble we are in is nothing to do with budgets, if we were prepared to make Naylor our highest paid player then the money was there.
It all depends on the calibre of the player they are trying to sign. No use in paying over the odds for average players ( like we have in the past ). Save the money until the player we can build the team around becomes available.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:17 am

Oh no the money is there its just there might not be as much due to external factors. Problem on here is peoe go to extremes. Someone is wither very good or very bad. There's no middle ground. Question Clough then you must want him sacked. Say there could be a slight reduction in money, must mean you think we are penniless.

All I've said is we could still be paying former managers and we've lost income last season which could affect this seasons budget. I thought it was a reasonable couple of points.

We did seem to need players out before some could come in. Piergianni(sp?) would be on decent money. I think Clough has some budget left and looking to the January sales. We can send Nartey back and Forrester is due to go back in January anyway. Menayese and O'Keeffe can be brought back in January or their loaning clubs can purchase them. This can then be used to strengthen further at the back.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:23 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Daft if you believe every word a manager says... He would hardly slate it and say he wasn't given enough in public. Nigels style would never to be one like Evans asking for more and demanding it, he works with what hes given. He might even think its a healthy budget given what hes worked with in the past.

But you only have to look at who we've signed to see the depth of the squad is "budget" at best.

In past years when we've clearly had a healthy budget, we've had solid players for each position and cover. Now we have a decent first 11 with players doing a job in positions to make do and their backups are inexperienced kids. A few red cards and one injury and were buggered.

Clough will need time build a good enough side this way

Again nothing wrong with it, and glad were not chucking money at promotion anymore but we have to draw back the entitled expectation that were this big top 3 big spending side that deserves to steam roll past everyone.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:37 am

I don't agree Sedgwick, I think it's revisionism. We can't have Clough says it as he sees it one minute, and then we can't believe him the next.

Bishop, Quinn, Hawkins and Johnson will all be on good money for the level. Add those to Rawson, Maris, Clarke, Lapslie, Stech who will also be on good money.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:41 am

I would say we have a top 8 budget. Salford City, Bristol Rovers, Bradford City, Tranmere Rovers, Port Vale and Northampton Town may have larger budgets. Forest Green Rovers are also probably spending more than you think. FGR's wages and salaries were £3.6 million in 2019-2020 excluding employer NI and pension contributions.

Darrell Clarke has said he has a top 10 budget at Port Vale but I think it is higher than that. They have loads of players.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:45 am

We openly offered other potential players substantially more money than what Nartey and Forrester are on. We can’t then just say ‘oh we’re cost cutting’ because we failed to get our main targets and ended up scraping the barrel at the last minute.

I don’t think our options up top are budget.

In midfield Stirk will be cheap, but I think Clough will have wanted a young lad who would expect to be a squad player anyway as we already had 4 senior CM’s at the club plus Charsley.

Defence, we look weak, but that’s through poor recruitment rather than being forced to trim the budget in my opinion.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:03 am

Like I said. It’s not about money
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:19 am

bellwhiff wrote:
Procurement

Procurement is often a fancy term used in marketing to find and retrieve something, usually an item or a service. Plenty of businesses have a procurement department which is usually filled with a group of dedicated employees who make buying decisions for the company.

Procurement is the act of obtaining goods or services
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum